Knife Tail Gang Hunting Bond

@hugo.4705 said:Mmh is it attended or not? When doing farm trains, skritts from other players spawn, when I kill them I have the suspicious bag item popping at the screen like I'm looting it, but when looking in my inventory have nothing after 6 skritts killed.

Well if you have the buff you will get a package if not you get nothing.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Incorrect; without the bond you will get a Junk/Trophy item.

Got nothing when I killed a skritt afew hours ago poped after I killed everything else so nothing to clutter up any loot drops.

If you kill a gang member without the buff you still get a chest pop up in the UI on the right hand side of the screen, but when you look in your inventory there is no chest it is automatically opened and a junk item placed in your inventory as @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said.

@keenedge.9675 said:

@DarkNighT.7319 said:wish this was removed asap! Gamble with gems even more :/ is this what guild wars is becoming, follow the big gamble simulators to make all the money in the world.

I think these new more attractive and shiny 'carrots' are experiments to learn which flavor of bait game players will chase faster.

I was thinking it's an attempt to get ahead of the negative press loot boxes have been getting recently. Whether it results in legislation in more/bigger markets (meaning companies have to do more than block some players from buying them with no alternative given) or simply public opinion turning against them I suspect studios (especially those who don't want to be seen as 'just another EA') are looking for a new middle ground between what's most profitable and what players will accept. Black Lion Statuettes were one form of that, this is another. I suspect the hope is that if/when something definitive happens, from within the industry or outside of it, or when players simply stop being as willing to spend their money on loot boxes, there will already be an acceptable alternative in-game and familiar to players.

The Hunting Bonds seem like they're slightly better than Black Lion Chests/Keys in that each one is guaranteed to give you a wardrobe item you don't already have, and the price and drop table means that (with some variation based on the gold/gem conversion rate) you've got a good chance of breaking even. So it's not as bad as Black Lion Chests which have a high probability of leaving you with nothing but some consumables which may or may not be useful, but it is still random. Also most of the contents are available in a non-random way, so if you want a specific item and it's not a black lion chest drop or original adoption licence mount you've got an alternative way to get it.

Personally - as someone who refuses to spend real money on gambling of any kind - I don't think they're worth objecting to, even if I hadn't given up complaining about loot boxes in this game a few years ago because it didn't achieve anything - but I don't think it's quite reached the point where I'd be willing to buy them. There's still too much chance of getting something I will never use - like a weapon skin which doesn't suit any of my characters. I'll stick with direct sales.