To possibly salvage some scraps

subversiontwo.7501

A random thought:

Would being able to share barrier through MDF go some way to remedy the loss of group utilities and create some potential appeal in alternate builds and gameplay (to the minstrel/medikit norm)?

It could patch some synergy within the trait trees back up and even though it certainly wouldn't compete with the meta build it would at least bring back some possible build experimentation with balance between different stats and gameplay choices (ie., heal- vs. damage/barrier amounts).

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:A random thought:

Would being able to share barrier through MDF go some way to remedy the loss of group utilities and create some potential appeal in alternate builds and gameplay (to the minstrel/medikit norm)?

Only if there was some way to generate barrier other than "outgoing strike damage." The problem with impact savant is that it's VERY limited in scope, serving only power builds. Condi and healer builds get nothing from impact savant.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:A random thought:

Only if there was some way to generate barrier other than "outgoing strike damage." The problem with impact savant is that it's VERY limited in scope, serving only power builds. Condi and healer builds get nothing from impact savant.

That's sort of what I'm trying to beat around the bush a bit with the discussion though. It is a perfectly reasonable expectation if one was to look at ways that were competetive and could challenge the norm build. Yet, it feels like hoping for too much even if it shouldn't. Does that make sense? That's why I wrapped it in the caveat that it wouldn't challenge the norm but provide some potential uses on the side.

See, the issue with the power thing now is that going down that route gives up group utility and in WvW or team fights in sPvP that alone strips the spec of a role. A condition hybrid variant of the minstrel build was surely hit alot by the vitality nerf as well but conditions have always had this time-old thing going for it where conditions alone are far more lethal than power alone. It has much more of a margin, compensating for healing, toughness and vitality than power does. It has always had that.

So with this thread my thoughts kind of wander more towards finding a way to make a power build about as appealing as condi (hybrid) build for group content. To do that rather than to challenge the meta. That would be another way of putting it in reference to your concern. Again, I'm unsure if I'm getting my point across but it feels as one of those things that either people can relate it or they can't. I'm not sure if I can flesh out the underlying discussion better than that. As a sidenote: another option would be to go the route of other classes and give engineer some really ridiculous power traits but that's just poor design and why I'm thinking aloud with all of this instead.

It's a question of both scaling and mechanics/application. There are better overlaps between the meta build and dipping into conditions over power with regard to both. In an ideal world, of course, there should be both power and condi builds that could challenge the norm to some degree. It's just that now, conditions has a little bit of something besides complete self-serving and the power build has nothing, nothing to build some sort of group play ideas on.

Should make Impact Savant drop packs when hitting an enemy, and picking them up grants a stackable Barrier.

Or as I have suggested before : The 300 Vit Scrapper lost is converted into a self regenerating Barrier which regenerates when the Scrapper isn't struck for 5 seconds.

Barrier Recharge is interrupted on being struck, which will keep the current value until it starts recharging again.

@Yasai.3549 said:Should make Impact Savant drop packs when hitting an enemy, and picking them up grants a stackable Barrier.

Or as I have suggested before : The 300 Vit Scrapper lost is converted into a self regenerating Barrier which regenerates when the Scrapper isn't struck for 5 seconds.

Barrier Recharge is interrupted on being struck, which will keep the current value until it starts recharging again.

I always said to myself that adaptive armor felt like an energy shield. I'd love to see it become exactly that. Master chief cosplay inbound