Yet another loot-box 'event' - boring

Never play Elder Scrolls Online. This is literally how all their festivals function. No mini games, no themed areas, no special content, just additional drops on existing enemies or quests. And yet somehow players are happy with that...until they complain it's happening too frequently and they can't keep up with all the special events. But I guess if you've never had real events a few extra drops is exciting.

As for GW2, we're in a gap between releases right now, just like there always is between living world episodes. They've tried it without anything in between and players complained so it looks like now they're trying adding some stuff for us to do which requires minimal effort from the developers...and I guess the end result of that is also players complaining. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'll take the 'damned with extra drops I can ignore if I want to' option thanks.

No its not content. Its not meant to be content. Its meant to be filler inbetween content releases. Farm it, just do the dailies or leave it be, either of these is fine. Personally I am on the "just do the dailies" level on this event, because yes, it is boring to farm it. Thankfully I don't have to.

The problem with RNG boxes is that the decent stuff always has a 0.000001% chance to drop. I mean I look at it as an extra chance at loot if you happen to be doing a champ but I will not hold my breath for anything good to come of it and as such look at the event in the same light.

Companies use these RNG to bank on the addictive nature of these RNG boxes which they hope will lead to people buying their gambling aka lootboxes or their keys. It easier to give in to something if it's familiar aye ;)

@"Zeefa.3915" said:No its not content. Its not meant to be content. Its meant to be filler inbetween content releases. Farm it, just do the dailies or leave it be, either of these is fine. Personally I am on the "just do the dailies" level on this event, because yes, it is boring to farm it. Thankfully I don't have to.

I didn't realise there were dailies for this event. I thought it was just a matter of finding champions to kill and getting the mark for the extra loot. I'll have to check those out.

Not that I expect to do them everyday, I may not do them at all (depending on what they are) but it's something else I didn't realise was there.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Zeefa.3915" said:No its not content. Its not meant to be content. Its meant to be filler inbetween content releases. Farm it, just do the dailies or leave it be, either of these is fine. Personally I am on the "just do the dailies" level on this event, because yes, it is boring to farm it. Thankfully I don't have to.

I didn't realise there were dailies for this event. I thought it was just a matter of finding champions to kill and getting the mark for the extra loot. I'll have to check those out.

Not that I expect to do them everyday, I may not do them at all (depending on what they are) but it's something else I didn't realise was there.

I didn't see them at first either, because they are down in Bonus Event list, in the general category, where I don't usually look. It is 1 champ for each major area: Maguuma, Orr, Kryta, Shiverpeaks and Ascalon. Its not too bad to get that done.

@keenedge.9675 said:

@"Mystiker.4031" said:btw. "Gw ist a grinder Game ." ™

Loot box farming ... ? Just like the Labyrinth is 'content'.

The Labyrinth is content - it's a unique map with multiple events, festival related ambient dialogue (could use some new stuff admittedly), achievements, havesting nodes, items for other achievements and whatever else I'm forgetting. Maybe more importantly it's one part of a variety of festival content. None of which requires you to grind the Labyrinth.

The fact that a subset of players choose to use it primarily for farming Trick-or-Treat bags doesn't negate any of that and is actually unrelated to the design of the map. The reason people farm it is because ToT bags have a higher drop rate there than anywhere else, and it becomes available right when ToT bags are in high demand and therefore valuable. If Anet wanted to fix it to stop people farming the Labyrinth all they'd need to do is either reduce the drop rate of ToT bags there or increase it elsewhere in the world (for example make them drop from all enemies during Halloween instead of just Halloween enemies).

To me there's an important difference between a "grinder game" where you have to grind to complete content and a game like GW2 where some players choose to grind one area at a time because they enjoy it or because it's the fastest way to get gold. Most importantly I don't have to do it if I don't want to. If I'm playing a JRPG and I complete the area I'm in but I'm not high enough level or don't have good enough equipment to beat the boss I have no options - I can't go back to earlier areas because I won't get any XP or loot, and I can't move on so I have to go round and round the bit I'm in until I've got enough to carry on. In GW2 that will never happen because content isn't gated in the same way, and if I do need XP or gold or whatever I have lots of options for how to get it so I don't have to grind one area.

It's similar with this 'event'. If one person spends all day every day farming champions, another does one circuit of a map killing 4 champions and then goes on with what they were doing and a 3rd happens to kill a champion as part of an event they were doing anyway the only difference will be the number of boxes of bonus goods they get - and since those are likely to only give crafting materials that's not a big difference.

I'm not saying it's actually a super-fun event which you should be happy to play all day long. It's not, it's literally just an extra drop from existing champions. What I'm saying is you can ignore it, or only do as much as you want to, without missing out on anything. Unlike a game which requires you to grind to progress where if you don't do that your only other option is to stop playing completely.

My guild and I have been having a blast with this event. Is it simple? Yes. Is it content? No. It brings prove together in-game though, which is a plus.

They still have a long way to go to impress me with their content anyway. Everything they have done so far story wise has been pretty lazy in terms of the writing. When I do a fractal that captivated me more than the main story of the game there is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. I'd settle for more small events like this if they took the time to come out with an expansion that didn't have a lazy story.

Give me something to fight that has just as much purpose and drive as I do. Not just, "I'm here to destroy things cause its wutIdo."