Improve mounts, not new ones

@Vavume.8065Springer was already buffed. When Skyscale was introduced, the charge time was decreased making it better than Skyscake for ascending as long as there is a cliff to land on. Also, it still does very good breakbar damage. It isn't obsolete.

@"Smurf vonBlue.2549"And as much as I feel this is just another cleverly disguised "Skyscale must fly forever" thread, what I'd say is missing is a final mastery for Skyscale that gives its bonus to all other mounts like the rest do. What that would be, I don't know. An extra energy bar maybe?

I don't feel any mount is broken nor one overtuning another (I have skyscale but still use both bunny and griffon). I feel adding stuff to mounts would only break them or create more bugs. I rather they use the time to fix old game experience breaking bugs and create new content (rehash of old same old doesn't count).

@"Vavume.8065" said:The springer needs to be buffed since the skyscale basically replaces it, add a new unique skill to it that does something that nothing else can. I paid for springer skins and now I never use the springer...

"I paid for springer skins.." PLURAL. /sigh

They aren't actually mutually exclusive. You could have both new mounts and new masteries for old mounts. But none of that would fix mounts or fix GW2.

What's more you SHOULDN'T need to have springers be springers. They could be pogo-sticks or kangaroos or land walking flying fish. But that's not how Anet does things. They fundamentally don't know how to design systems that scale. Now whenever they want to add a new mount, they have to come up with some movement gimmick to give it a reason to exist. That's not scalable. And someone could have told them that from the start.

Elite specs are also not scalable. That's probably why (along with their new owners not allowing them to spend the money) you're not getting another expansion anytime soon.

They launched the game with an armor system that doesn't scale! And that's why you'll never get a new race.

WvW doesn't scale. That's why it's dead.

They worked so hard to get their maps to scale. And that's what didn't need to scale. Because leveling out of a map's difficulty isn't why people weren't playing maps over and over. They just didn't want to.

So no, they don't need to create new mounts. Adding more masteries to an existing mount would be a decent idea. Except it would compound their problem of needing increasingly bizarre gimmicks (justified by increasingly arcane maps) to release new mounts.

They need to rethink the mount system. And build it to scale. And they actually should get credit for trying to gamify mounts since they are in a game. It was a good intention. As a mastery based attribute system where you had maybe 3 kinds of mounts who could spec into a set of skills it could have been cute.

The maps, armor, and much of them game is already too baked to fix. Cheaper to just build a new game. Except they don't even have enough money for a new expansion, and I doubt anyone will give them enough to start over without big changes.

@lukejoe.1592 said:

@"Vavume.8065" said:The springer needs to be buffed since the skyscale basically replaces it, add a new unique skill to it that does something that nothing else can. I paid for springer skins and now I never use the springer...

They aren't actually mutually exclusive. You could have both new mounts and new masteries for old mounts. But none of that would fix mounts or fix GW2.

What's more you SHOULDN'T need to have springers be springers. They could be pogo-sticks or kangaroos or land walking flying fish. But that's not how Anet does things. They fundamentally don't know how to design systems that scale. Now whenever they want to add a new mount, they have to come up with some movement gimmick to give it a reason to exist. That's not scalable. And someone could have told them that from the start.

Elite specs are also not scalable. That's probably why (along with their new owners not allowing them to spend the money) you're not getting another expansion anytime soon.

They launched the game with an armor system that doesn't scale! And that's why you'll never get a new race.

They worked so hard to get their maps to scale. And that's what didn't need to scale. Because leveling out of a map's difficulty isn't why people weren't playing maps over and over. They just didn't want to.

So no, they don't need to create new mounts. Adding more masteries to an existing mount would be a decent idea. Except it would compound their problem of needing increasingly bizarre gimmicks (justified by increasingly arcane maps) to release new mounts.

They need to rethink the mount system. And build it to scale. And they actually should get credit for trying to gamify mounts since they are in a game. It was a good intention. As a mastery based attribute system where you had maybe 3 kinds of mounts who could spec into a set of skills it could have been cute.

The maps, armor, and much of them game is already too baked to fix. Cheaper to just build a new game. Except they don't even have enough money for a new expansion, and I doubt anyone will give them enough to start over without big changes.

What new owners? They are owned by the same people they have been since GW1

@Smurf vonBlue.2549 said:I think we already have enough mounts. What would be great in future LW Stories and expansions would be to improve the current mounts via additional masteries. The first one that comes to mind is to have a Skyscale ability to actually fly and not glide like a slightly improved Griffon.

Been wanting this since season 4 started, we've a nice healy amount of mounts now.. only new mount we really need is an underwater one but anymore land/sky mounts would feel excessive and start making the existing ones kind of obsolete.I've also made posts in the past about upgrading the existing mounts with new masteries ^^ glad to see others feel the same way.

@Vavume.8065 said:The springer needs to be buffed since the skyscale basically replaces it, add a new unique skill to it that does something that nothing else can. I paid for springer skins and now I never use the springer...

I would like to see Springer and Skimmer to have their movement speed increased to be equal to Jackal or Raptor. Raptor and Jackal would still be faster since they have movement abilities. But Springer and Skimmer would get out of useless/niche tier. Skyscale will stay useful as a flying mount.

@runeblade.7514 said:

@Vavume.8065 said:The springer needs to be buffed since the skyscale basically replaces it, add a new unique skill to it that does something that nothing else can. I paid for springer skins and now I never use the springer...

I would like to see Springer and Skimmer to have their movement speed increased to be equal to Jackal or Raptor. Raptor and Jackal would still be faster since they have movement abilities. But Springer and Skimmer would get out of useless/niche tier. Skyscale will stay useful as a flying mount.If you bunny hop with the springer you are faster than the raptor and jackal without their movement abilities. For the skimmer i wish you could keep some momentum from the water with the special ability.

@Randulf.7614 said:

What new owners?

I wondered the same.

People claiming Bunny is still useful forget that Skyscale alone might be ok but Skyscale + dodge x2 + bond of vigor takes it to a whole new level of mobility that Bunny can in no way keep up.

I also strongly agree with OP that additions to current mounts would be preferable to make em more attractive Arenanet might have statistic for mount use ( preferable statistic on mount use of people who have unlocked skyscale ) and use that to see which mount(s) need some help.

Like breaking defiance bars and being faster when going vertically when there are ledges?

@Vancho.8750 said:

I would like to see Springer and Skimmer to have their movement speed increased to be equal to Jackal or Raptor. Raptor and Jackal would still be faster since they have movement abilities. But Springer and Skimmer would get out of useless/niche tier. Skyscale will stay useful as a flying mount.If you bunny hop with the springer you are faster than the raptor and jackal without their movement abilities. For the skimmer i wish you could keep some momentum from the water with the special ability.

Jump ability doesn't impact horizontal movement speed. Well, technically you're slower because you have to charge the jump.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Like breaking defiance bars and being faster when going vertically when there are ledges?

Jump ability doesn't impact horizontal movement speed. Well, technically you're slower because you have to charge the jump.Not the ability normal jumps, hopity hop.

@Vancho.8750 said:

Jump ability doesn't impact horizontal movement speed. Well, technically you're slower because you have to charge the jump.Not the ability normal jumps, hopity hop.

Holding the forward key, holding the forward key and doing jumps, and doing the special jumps while going forward are not faster than raptor and jackal base speed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7381g5/research_indepth_mount_speed_tests/

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Holding the forward key, holding the forward key and doing jumps, and doing the special jumps while going forward are not faster than raptor and jackal base speed.Try it it is faster but ultimately pointless cause the leaps are way better.

@Vancho.8750 said:

Holding the forward key, holding the forward key and doing jumps, and doing the special jumps while going forward are not faster than raptor and jackal base speed.Try it it is faster but ultimately pointless cause the leaps are way better.

I tried it and it's not. Those who did actual speed tests have found that it's not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7381g5/research_indepth_mount_speed_tests/

Yes we need more masteries for mounts:

Bunny: Needs winged mastery so it has some use after Skyscale Launch. We need Winged Bunny Rabbits.Raptor: Would be nice to have mastery track for "twin-shoulder-mounted" ranged cannons with laser targeting and explosive tipped armour piercing rounds, with a heat-seeking rocket launcher strapped underneath its belly.Beetle: Would be nice to have enhanced smash ability so literally any mount or obstacle in your way you can smash through it, and faster base speed mastery as too slow at current paceJackal: Would be nice to have invisibility cloak so you can just skip large areas of mobs or players completely undetectedWarclaw: Would be nice to have some mastery to make it useful in openworld.Griffon & Skyscale: Don't need any change... except for maybe the raptor shoulder cannons things for airborne firepower and perhaps wing mounted bombs or cruise missiles, or maybe even a passenger seat mastery so your friend can ride along too, or perhaps an Air Stewardess Mastery that can serve you hot or cold drinks while you fly your mount so gracefully.

Ofc 295 mastery level is not enough, we could do with this boosted to 350 Mastery level mainly so new and return players yet to buy HoT/PoF have something to do :-)

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

I tried it and it's not. Those who did actual speed tests have found that it's not.

Don't seem to find hopping or jumping with springer it is an outrage not to test bunny hopping with the rabbit.

@Vancho.8750 said:

Don't seem to find hopping or jumping with springer it is an outrage not to test bunny hopping with the rabbit.

Then test it using concrete data. Observations are not reliable.