Revenant Build Ideas for WvW

alain.1659

As I was on the verge of hijacking the other thread, I wanted to open a new one.

I have been playing rev for a time but I could not go out of the classic shiro/herald burst build in wvw. So far I have tried different builds, stats, weapons etc but could not find a good working one except support renegade. Other builds either worked well vs some professions and failed miserably against others, or were really meh. I would like to ask you about the builds you are playing, and how you play them (as I am having some problems with ventari and mallyx legends).My aim is to roam in a 5-6 man group mostly but I am the main dueler in my group with my other toons. And ofc i solo roam too.

When I'm not playing Hammer Herald Glint/Shiro S/S or Classic Glint/Shiro S/S Staff I like to play Condi Herald. Mallyx/Glint + a mix of trailblazer and viper and Tormenting Runes (super amazing btw) with mace/axe sword/shield. Traits can be variable depending on how I'm feeling, but you can run a mix of Corruption/Herald and then either Invocation or Retribution depending on your playstyle. There are plenty of trait options to either let you build for more damage or build for more defense. Abyssal Chill vs Demonic Resistance is a good example of this. Build is pretty tanky and I rarely feel pressured in 1v1s except against warrior mostly; hard to kill those if they're good since they do a lot of damage and have a lot of answers to your condi damage. Mirage dies really easily to it especially since most Mesmer players see Revenant as a free kill, so they go super ham on condi bombing you and then you just transfer everything back to their face. Fights can last a bit if the Mirage is good, but I don't feel pressured fighting them generally. Build isn't god tier or anything; it certainly has its weaknesses and you need to play it with good kiting and positioning in mind (just like all Revenant builds), but it's certainly tankier than regular Power Herald and can do things that Power Herald can't do as well (like kill Mirage/counter it). It can do well in small group, but don't expect to be the top damage dealer or gank enemies the way Power Herald can; the way I build and play it it acts more like a condi bruiser.

My favorite build to run for the past while has been a core TB/Dire Shiro/Mallyx build. Lucian mentioned Tormenting runes and they are truly disgustingly powerful. I get a lot of BM and hate whispers when I run it. Hybrid is also fun to run, and in WvW with traits like Incensed Response still being busted, it is easy to make some off-meta builds work since the damage will get boosted by all the might.

I am usually solo roaming, but when I am with a group (usually just a handful of roaming friends with no intentional comp) I'll sometimes switch to Jalis/Mallyx and trait the RotGD elite. The two legends offer a decent amount of team synergy while still allowing for good damage.

Incensed Response is especially awesome when paired with Fireworks or Pack runes. Those runes also help make up for the loss of perma-swiftness without Herald. Here are some of the solo roaming builds I use to take advantage of them.

Brutal Power RevThis is a melee based brawler that can hit hard and fast thanks to high might, fury and quickness uptime. There’s also a decent amount of weakness that gets thrown at enemies to keep them in check while delivering the beatdown. If that’s not enough there’s also multiple sources of damage reduction, projectile blocking on heal, and a little bit of barrier from time to time.

Pew Pew Hybrid RenegadeWhen I’m lazy and just want to kill people by auto-attacking, this is what I play. Many players will just let me shot them thinking that shortbow is purely a condi weapon, then they realize it’s backed by ~20x might and they’re getting hit for 1.5k - 2k every 0.5 seconds in addition to the bleeding, torment, poison, and confusion. If I need to survive in between the autos I mostly stick to Shiro so I can roll away every few seconds. Until recently I would also kite with Mallyx, but that got neutered unfortunately. Kalla at least has some okay-ish AoE skills to replace it though.

@Clownmug.8357 said:Incensed Response is especially awesome when paired with Fireworks or Pack runes. Those runes also help make up for the loss of perma-swiftness without Herald. Here are some of the solo roaming builds I use to take advantage of them.

Yes Firework Runes are incredible for core and Renegade builds. That Invo master major line can be pretty competitive. Not having to take Rapid Flow for increased movement speed really glues some builds together.

Well I have tried some ideas here. Condi works ok for me but I always spam mallyx skills which gets me killed. Also I am out of energy too quickly so I meed to learn to manage it better. Without shiro I cannot chase or catch those run away though. But both in pure condi and hybrid build torment hits like a truck (not a mere truck but Optimus Prime). I liked kalla jalis for power/hybrid build. They work really cool. Taunt-swap-warkitty-sb 5 is usually works well :)

But I guess it is about my skill level on rev that makes me still feel underpowered vs other professions. I can play others and feel cpmfprtable but rev somehow feels clunky and weak when facing 2v1 situations.

@"alain.1659" said:Well I have tried some ideas here. Condi works ok for me but I always spam mallyx skills which gets me killed. Also I am out of energy too quickly so I meed to learn to manage it better. Without shiro I cannot chase or catch those run away though. But both in pure condi and hybrid build torment hits like a truck (not a mere truck but Optimus Prime). I liked kalla jalis for power/hybrid build. They work really cool. Taunt-swap-warkitty-sb 5 is usually works well :)

But I guess it is about my skill level on rev that makes me still feel underpowered vs other professions. I can play others and feel cpmfprtable but rev somehow feels clunky and weak when facing 2v1 situations.

If you are having trouble managing energy, try out this build. This is my go-to. It is carried by Tormenting Runes and TB/Dire gear, but it is a beast of a spec when you get used to it. I used to consider it a meme until I upgraded to full cancer stats. When you get good at proccing Charged Mists consistently, you will be flowing with energy between that and Ancient Echo. It makes Mallyx more comfortable to play because you can actually upkeep your elite for quite a while. It may feel squishy at first due to having no Glint, but the evades from Shiro and the sustain via Tormenting Runes help make up for it.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAkeZlhQMsIijBRdMJyjBSkMBigD7SfKF-zVRYcBxTGdcDlSkFQlJQmRQvhg3zSVeaA-w

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

@"alain.1659" said:Well I have tried some ideas here. Condi works ok for me but I always spam mallyx skills which gets me killed. Also I am out of energy too quickly so I meed to learn to manage it better. Without shiro I cannot chase or catch those run away though. But both in pure condi and hybrid build torment hits like a truck (not a mere truck but Optimus Prime). I liked kalla jalis for power/hybrid build. They work really cool. Taunt-swap-warkitty-sb 5 is usually works well :)

If you are having trouble managing energy, try out this build. This is my go-to. It is carried by Tormenting Runes and TB/Dire gear, but it is a beast of a spec when you get used to it. I used to consider it a meme until I upgraded to full cancer stats. When you get good at proccing Charged Mists consistently, you will be flowing with energy between that and Ancient Echo. It makes Mallyx more comfortable to play because you can actually upkeep your elite for quite a while. It may feel squishy at first due to having no Glint, but the evades from Shiro and the sustain via Tormenting Runes help make up for it.

Damn that looks nasty :) thank you friend, gonna try that this week :)

@alain.1659 said:

@alain.1659 said:Well I have tried some ideas here. Condi works ok for me but I always spam mallyx skills which gets me killed. Also I am out of energy too quickly so I meed to learn to manage it better. Without shiro I cannot chase or catch those run away though. But both in pure condi and hybrid build torment hits like a truck (not a mere truck but Optimus Prime). I liked kalla jalis for power/hybrid build. They work really cool. Taunt-swap-warkitty-sb 5 is usually works well :)

kitten that looks nasty :) thank you friend, gonna try that this week :)

Mallyx can apply 40 stack plus torment overtime ;)

And I tried it tonight. But as i had no trailblazer set, I used dire armor with trailblazer trinkets, dire weapons. I have dueled several people, one holo beat me mercilessly twice (it was 2v1) but i won several matches. Funniest moment was when 2 thieves jumped on me and died from torment while moving around. I can share my experiences with this build now after 4 hours of playing. I shall learn better in oncoming days.

My biggest problem was the energy management. Took me 4-5 matches to learn how to drain energy to trigger the charged mists. After that with the help of f2 i had no energy problems (apart from my own terrible mistakes). I tend to use mace/axe with shiro, and staff with mallyx in combat except for shiro staff 5 combo. If i am locked in shiro and staff my dps goes down as expected :) Health from torment runes saved my bottom several times. I even rushed into a zerg and survived with mallyx elite.

Against warriors I had no margin of error. 1 mistake and I went down easy (as I am not really that good at rev). My torment application was nowhere near 30 though. Biggest number was 22. Maybe I am doing something wrong here so I am open to suggestions.

All in all build is fantastic and gave me a fresh perspective after classic herald and prot renegade. Thank you for sharing this build. And thank you all for your great advices. I am hoping to finish the trailblazer somehow. I did not try the herald version as I am accustomed to herald more than mallyx so I did not want to camp herald and die repeatedly :) Gonna try that also.

@alain.1659 said:And I tried it tonight. But as i had no trailblazer set, I used dire armor with trailblazer trinkets, dire weapons. I have dueled several people, one holo beat me mercilessly twice (it was 2v1) but i won several matches. Funniest moment was when 2 thieves jumped on me and died from torment while moving around. I can share my experiences with this build now after 4 hours of playing. I shall learn better in oncoming days.

My biggest problem was the energy management. Took me 4-5 matches to learn how to drain energy to trigger the charged mists. After that with the help of f2 i had no energy problems (apart from my own terrible mistakes). I tend to use mace/axe with shiro, and staff with mallyx in combat except for shiro staff 5 combo. If i am locked in shiro and staff my dps goes down as expected :) Health from torment runes saved my bottom several times. I even rushed into a zerg and survived with mallyx elite.

Against warriors I had no margin of error. 1 mistake and I went down easy (as I am not really that good at rev). My torment application was nowhere near 30 though. Biggest number was 22. Maybe I am doing something wrong here so I am open to suggestions.

All in all build is fantastic and gave me a fresh perspective after classic herald and prot renegade. Thank you for sharing this build. And thank you all for your great advices. I am hoping to finish the trailblazer somehow. I did not try the herald version as I am accustomed to herald more than mallyx so I did not want to camp herald and die repeatedly :) Gonna try that also.

So glad you enjoyed it! I am sure the armor/trinket setup you have would be fine. The reason I mix in Dire is because I don't like overcapping on torment duration. At 30% general condi duration, you'll cap out since you'll get 50% from the runes and 20% from Corruption. Do what you see fit though. I just felt it wasn't worth further expertise investment since the build's primary damaging condition is torment.

@alain.1659 said:And I tried it tonight. But as i had no trailblazer set, I used dire armor with trailblazer trinkets, dire weapons. I have dueled several people, one holo beat me mercilessly twice (it was 2v1) but i won several matches. Funniest moment was when 2 thieves jumped on me and died from torment while moving around. I can share my experiences with this build now after 4 hours of playing. I shall learn better in oncoming days.

So glad you enjoyed it! I am sure the armor/trinket setup you have would be fine. The reason I mix in Dire is because I don't like overcapping on torment duration. At 30% general condi duration, you'll cap out since you'll get 50% from the runes and 20% from Corruption. Do what you see fit though. I just felt it wasn't worth further expertise investment since the build's primary damaging condition is torment.

Yes just realized that trailblazer is overkill for this :) Gonna experiment a little but it feels fine as it is. Thanks again :)