Necromancer Defense and "Blade Mail" Effects

Zex Anthon.8673

I think it needs more Life force gain and short cd on shroud 10 seconds way too much these days and maybe an ability to sacrifice life to fill the LF bar and enter shroud ignoring the CD, maybe and elite that does that, should probably be on Reaper only cause it will break Scourge .

@"Axl.8924" said:I am actually waiting for a minion mancer type elite spec. It would be great if our golem and the zombies helped give us some sustain, but wouldnt people complain about fighting minion mancer necros because of turret thing?

Would you favor a revamp of the death magic to be all about pets? or the hybrid its like now with pets and or some defenses?

Nope, like I said, the issue of death magic is that it try to see pets as a main mechanism of the necromancer. It can't, the main mechanism of the necromancer is the shroud or more accurately the use of LF as a ressource, minions are totally dissosiated from this mechanism which make awkward the fact that there is so many traits about minions.

What an minion-mancer elite spec need to do is to make life force a source of minions. It can be like lich form used to do (entering a "shroud" giving you access to a skill that spawn a lot of jagged horror at once) or simply a toggle skill that drain your life force every X seconds to spawn a jagged horror. What's important is that the main source of minion come from the life force and whatever your build you'll always have access to this source. If a DM minor trait was changed to do this job, it would be just an unwelcomed poor powercreep with no trade off, that's why it need to be an "e-spec" making you lose the shroud for the ability to trade LF for minions.

It would be great if our golem and the zombies helped give us some sustain, but wouldnt people complain about fighting minion mancer necros because of turret thing?

It's already what traited minions do and it's not "great", otherwise we wouldn't talk about it. Minions are simply to weak even traited to be a real concern in PvP. A dedicated e-spec wouldn't change this fact.

The minions and their traits design was understandable before ANet decided to introduce e-spec. It was a difficult attempt to deepen the necromancer's flavor by adding a minion-mancer dimension to an inadapted profession's design. The issue is that they kept it after introducing e-specs. It's one of the design flaw that should have been minimized when they flipped the board. And the worst part is that ANet focused the minion traits toward a passive use of minions instead of an active use.

In my opinion, core should have a single trait associated to minions and this trait should promote the use of minions' active skills. Any trait that passively make use of minions should belong to an elite spec that trade the shroud for minions.

Come on, right now the necromancer's focus on minion is as ridiculous as an hypothetic ranger's focus on nature spirits that would deicate 1/3 of the nature magic traitline traits to nature spirits or even worse, an elementalist focus on elementals that would dedicate 1/3 of the arcane traitline traits to make viable elementalist's glyphs of elemental. It make absolutely no sense in the current game.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Axl.8924" said:I am actually waiting for a minion mancer type elite spec. It would be great if our golem and the zombies helped give us some sustain, but wouldnt people complain about fighting minion mancer necros because of turret thing?

Would you favor a revamp of the death magic to be all about pets? or the hybrid its like now with pets and or some defenses?

Nope, like I said, the issue of death magic is that it try to see pets as a main mechanism of the necromancer. It can't, the main mechanism of the necromancer is the shroud or more accurately the use of LF as a ressource, minions are totally dissosiated from this mechanism which make awkward the fact that there is so many traits about minions.

What an minion-mancer elite spec need to do is to make life force a source of minions. It can be like lich form used to do (entering a "shroud" giving you access to a skill that spawn a lot of jagged horror at once) or simply a toggle skill that drain your life force every X seconds to spawn a jagged horror. What's important is that the main source of minion come from the life force and whatever your build you'll always have access to this source. If a DM minor trait was changed to do this job, it would be just an unwelcomed poor powercreep with no trade off, that's why it need to be an "e-spec" making you lose the shroud for the ability to trade LF for minions.

It would be great if our golem and the zombies helped give us some sustain, but wouldnt people complain about fighting minion mancer necros because of turret thing?

It's already what traited minions do and it's not "great", otherwise we wouldn't talk about it. Minions are simply to weak even traited to be a real concern in PvP. A dedicated e-spec wouldn't change this fact.

The minions and their traits design was understandable before ANet decided to introduce e-spec. It was a difficult attempt to deepen the necromancer's flavor by adding a minion-mancer dimension to an inadapted profession's design. The issue is that they kept it after introducing e-specs. It's one of the design flaw that should have been minimized when they flipped the board. And the worst part is that ANet focused the minion traits toward a passive use of minions instead of an active use.

In my opinion, core should have a single trait associated to minions and this trait should promote the use of minions' active skills. Any trait that passively make use of minions should belong to an elite spec that trade the shroud for minions.

Come on, right now the necromancer's focus on minion is as ridiculous as an hypothetic ranger's focus on nature spirits that would deicate 1/3 of the nature magic traitline traits to nature spirits or even worse, an elementalist focus on elementals that would dedicate 1/3 of the arcane traitline traits to make viable elementalist's glyphs of elemental. It make absolutely no sense in the current game.

I do think they need to probably reform how pets work maybe we can get pets attached to the next elite instead of shroud have pets or something, since i guess it would be problematic to have shroud and pets.

I think it could be interesting to have a elite all about pets maybe we can be somewhat mobile with our pets maybe wurm can be buffed with the new elite spec to add mobility and since we no longer have shroud

@Axl.8924 said:I do think they need to probably reform how pets work maybe we can get pets attached to the next elite instead of shroud have pets or something, since i guess it would be problematic to have shroud and pets.

I think it could be interesting to have a elite all about pets maybe we can be somewhat mobile with our pets maybe wurm can be buffed with the new elite spec to add mobility and since we no longer have shroud

My way of thinking is a bit different.

I do think that the skill type minion have to stay in core because it's a part of the necromancer's fantasy and a good selling point for newcomers. Only minions traits need to be reformed because they aren't necessary to play with minions and hinder the necromancer at it's core more than anything.

As for mobility, I do not think that this would be really a fitting strength for a minion-master e-spec. Heavy damage transfer toward minions would be more fitting in my opinion.

I am more interested in Necro getting a more powerful anti-mobility/movement, single target melee burst build. Necro has always been a debuffing mage-type profession. Reaper and Scourge have a very high amount of AoE for power, condi, and barrier so it scales very well in a crowd if it is not focused.

Make core Necro or a new specialization more punishing to melee and let it scale more with boons.