Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Anyone know why there's been so many PvP in PvE topics recently? We used to get one every few months at most, then for the last few weeks it seems like we've had a new one every other day.*Because the PvP options we had were gutted.For the most part, it's
not
the PvP players that are asking for Open PvP/Duelling options in PvE. In most games i have seen, it's usually the players that play both modes but are primarily PvE that seem to insist on it the loudest. And they are interested (more often than not) in fights that are unfair from the beginning, where the chances are heavily skewed in their favour. It can thrive only as long as majority of participants are prey - players that are unprepared for it and exist only so the predators can kill them. If that group is gone (for example, because they weren't interested in being preyed on and left for other game/pve server/toggled pvp option off), interest in the mode starts to plummet until only a small number of players are left in it.Hint: even in games that are purely open world pvp, those that actually want to engage in it are usually in minority.

I understand that PvE players dont want PvP in thier maps, I just wish PvE players gave the same respect to other game modes but instead we ended up with things like Warclaw.Blame Devs for that one. I'm prety sure that Warclaw was not something PvE players wanted (because, seriously, why any PvE player would want to have more content of any kind in a mode they weren't planning to visit in the first place?)

@Draco.9480 said:meanwhile you have albion online which have open world pvp full loot, if get killed, lose all yer loot to the person who killed you. while in gw2 players want safe space.gw2 community never wants any surprise nor challenges, it's just sad.What is the game population for albion online? Around few hundred players logged in on average? Yes, i'm pretty sure it's way more popular than gw2...

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Draco.9480 said:meanwhile you have albion online which have open world pvp full loot, if get killed, lose all yer loot to the person who killed you. while in gw2 players want safe space.gw2 community never wants any surprise nor challenges, it's just sad.What is the game population for albion online? Around few hundred players logged in on average? Yes, i'm pretty sure it's way more popular than gw2...

According to steam charts Albion Online is now at 4585 average for the month of August. If you compare the numbers with other popular mmorpgs like FFXIV (30359) and ESO (23212) for August, it looks like full loot open world pvp isn't very popular indeed.

@"Draco.9480" said:meanwhile you have albion online which have open world pvp full loot, if get killed, lose all yer loot to the person who killed you. while in gw2 players want safe space.gw2 community never wants any surprise nor challenges, it's just sad.

Albion Onlines total population is tiny.

No strike that, calling Albion Onlines population tiny would be an insult to any game with a tiny population.

Oh and the game is hemmoraging players like no tomorrow: https://steamcharts.com/app/761890ever since its discount sale in April. Within the next 2 months it will be back to its original player size of close to 0.

@Cuks.8241 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@"sephiroth.4217" said:WvW says its open world PvP but open world PvP should have dangers, even more so when alone to encourage people to group up in safety from the people who sustain the mode for years (the ones ganking you).. Teamwork like that helps players bond and learn until eventually they are that "ganker"/roamer, which means you would have played long enough to help sustain the mode....

The "Im not a 1v1 build" is just an excuse to me... I do fine when ganked on my Staff Tempest, Necro or FB (zerg classes).

seriously? you are arguing that gankers are good for the mode, while gankers are a very big reason why people avoid it altogether?

Maybe you should sit back and think about what you are writing for a moment? Gankers do not 'sustain' the mode. Gankers are killing it.

I disagree. There are plenty of gank/roam/havoc groups on every server willing to have some action all the time. Even on servers that can hardly get together a good blob even in prime time usually have roaming groups all the time.

roam/havoc groups are integral. But gankers waiting in front of spawn to 3:1 everyone coming out are not INTEGRAL. They are TOXIC. They are killing the mode.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Anyone know why there's been so many PvP in PvE topics recently? We used to get one every few months at most, then for the last few weeks it seems like we've had a new one every other day.*Because the PvP options we had were gutted.For the most part, it's
not
the PvP players that are asking for Open PvP/Duelling options in PvE. In most games i have seen, it's usually the players that play both modes but are primarily PvE that seem to insist on it the loudest. And they are interested (more often than not) in fights that are unfair from the beginning, where the chances are heavily skewed in their favour. It can thrive only as long as majority of participants are prey - players that are unprepared for it and exist only so the predators can kill them. If that group is gone (for example, because they weren't interested in being preyed on and left for other game/pve server/toggled pvp option off), interest in the mode starts to plummet until only a small number of players are left in it.Hint: even in games that are purely open world pvp, those that actually want to engage in it are usually in minority.

I understand that PvE players dont want PvP in thier maps, I just wish PvE players gave the same respect to other game modes but instead we ended up with things like Warclaw.Blame Devs for that one. I'm prety sure that Warclaw was not something PvE players wanted (because, seriously, why any PvE player would want to have more content of any kind in a mode they weren't planning to visit in the first place?)

I don't blame PvE players at all... we covered this earlier (or tried too anyway but some were too keen on farming likes)

@"sephiroth.4217" said:WvW says its open world PvP but open world PvP should have dangers, even more so when alone to encourage people to group up in safety from the people who sustain the mode for years (the ones ganking you).. Teamwork like that helps players bond and learn until eventually they are that "ganker"/roamer, which means you would have played long enough to help sustain the mode....

The "Im not a 1v1 build" is just an excuse to me... I do fine when ganked on my Staff Tempest, Necro or FB (zerg classes).

seriously? you are arguing that gankers are good for the mode, while gankers are a very big reason why people avoid it altogether?

Maybe you should sit back and think about what you are writing for a moment? Gankers do not 'sustain' the mode. Gankers are killing it.

I disagree. There are plenty of gank/roam/havoc groups on every server willing to have some action all the time. Even on servers that can hardly get together a good blob even in prime time usually have roaming groups all the time.

roam/havoc groups are integral. But gankers waiting in front of spawn to 3:1 everyone coming out are not INTEGRAL. They are TOXIC. They are killing the mode.

Use the Waypoint or the other 2 exits?mount up and literally run past them?

if 3 people have you backed up at spawn with all the available resources at your disposal, they are doing an incredible job at disrupting you guys.

if you mean 3:1 odds... then sounds like population issues and absolutely nothing at all to do with ganking.population issues can kill a game mode, but that has nothing to do with the Verb or Action of killing someone.

The ones who like this idea keep insisting how 'fun' it would be but ignoring that we PVE people don't want PVP toxicity in map chat. Sure, we could toggle off PVP, but we can't toggle off trolls on important points. And our block lists would become huge. If I wanted PVP in PVE, I'd go back to Aion. (Another NCSoft game, go try it if you want this so much.)

@"whoeverxwins.1279" said:The ones who like this idea keep insisting how 'fun' it would be but ignoring that we PVE people don't want PVP toxicity in map chat. Sure, we could toggle off PVP, but we can't toggle off trolls on important points. And our block lists would become huge. If I wanted PVP in PVE, I'd go back to Aion. (Another NCSoft game, go try it if you want this so much.)

The ones that dislike the idea keep somehow missing the "it as a option" part of the equation. If it's a option for players to opt in or out of pvp in pve areas than how does it effect pve players who chose to opt out of it?

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"whoeverxwins.1279" said:The ones who like this idea keep insisting how 'fun' it would be but ignoring that we PVE people don't want PVP toxicity in map chat. Sure, we could toggle off PVP, but we can't toggle off trolls on important points. And our block lists would become huge. If I wanted PVP in PVE, I'd go back to Aion. (Another NCSoft game, go try it if you want this so much.)

The ones that dislike the idea keep somehow missing the "it as a option" part of the equation. If it's a option for players to opt in or out of pvp in pve areas than how does it effect pve players who chose to opt out of it?

Did you not even read my post? Where do I opt all the toxic PVP chat out of map chat? Block every single one? Oh wait, turn off map chat and miss meta stuff. Nope.

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:The ones who like this idea keep insisting how 'fun' it would be but ignoring that we PVE people don't want PVP toxicity in map chat. Sure, we could toggle off PVP, but we can't toggle off trolls on important points. And our block lists would become huge. If I wanted PVP in PVE, I'd go back to Aion. (Another NCSoft game, go try it if you want this so much.)

Did you not even read my post? Where do I opt all the toxic PVP chat out of map chat? Block every single one? Oh wait, turn off map chat and miss meta stuff. Nope.

So other players shouldn't have their pve enjoyment raised by adding pvp components to it because u dont want to possibly see toxic words in chat? U serious? Lmao. What a trivial thing to stress about seriously. Ok than turn ur map chat off but if u really need to see what rando's are chatting about than I gues there could be a separate chat as well but seems kinda silly. I don't mean to sound rude in anyway.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular.

Last I checked, it was a few years ago, open PvP servers in WoW aren't nearly as popular as no PvP servers in WoW. In fact when I checked a lot of the PvP servers had major population issues. I don't think enough people enjoy open world PvP in mmorpgs anymore. And there are korean games that fill that need well.

Then why WoW Classic is a thing now? As far as I remember WoW's servers at start were open PvP full mode on. Also I'm not saying to have the one or the other... I'm saying to have both in the same time coexisting.

Was it? Are you sure WoW Classic will only be open PvP? If that's the case I don't see it surviving long. There is a reason why even Blizzard decided against having open PvP and split them up. Then open PvP servers mostly died. It's why open PvP is no longer needed in games.

Fortnite

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:The ones who like this idea keep insisting how 'fun' it would be but ignoring that we PVE people don't want PVP toxicity in map chat. Sure, we could toggle off PVP, but we can't toggle off trolls on important points. And our block lists would become huge. If I wanted PVP in PVE, I'd go back to Aion. (Another NCSoft game, go try it if you want this so much.)

So other players shouldn't have their pve enjoyment raised by adding pvp components to it because u dont want to possibly see toxic words in chat? U serious? Lmao. What a trivial thing to stress about seriously. Ok than turn ur map chat off but if u really need to see what rando's are chatting about than I gues there could be a separate chat as well but seems kinda silly. I don't mean to sound rude in anyway.

But the majority of PVE people don't WANT PVP in PVE. You already have PVE/PVP in WVW. You can play there. If that's dead, complain about that, but don't try to mess up PVE for the rest of the player base. We stay out of PVP/WVW for a reason. And it's not a few toxic words. I was very glad when guild halls came along so I no longer needed to use the PVP lobby for AFKing/ sorting inventory. I don't need to see a bunch of teenagers waving their e-peens around.

@Daroon.1736 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Was it? Are you sure WoW Classic will only be open PvP? If that's the case I don't see it surviving long. There is a reason why even Blizzard decided against having open PvP and split them up. Then open PvP servers mostly died. It's why open PvP is no longer needed in games.

Fortnite

Not an mmorpg. And doesn't have "open pvp" either.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:If it's an option either way how does it effect u as I'd assume ud not use the option to enable it.

The game is built around events, events often require multiple players and maps have limited capacity. Having a few of these pvpers fighting in a corner, or even worse in the middle of an active event, taking important map slots can and will affect everyone else playing on the same map regardless if they have an option to enable the feature or not.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:If it's an option either way how does it effect u as I'd assume ud not use the option to enable it.

The game is built around events, events often require multiple players and maps have limited capacity. Having a few of these pvpers fighting in a corner, or even worse in the middle of an active event, taking important map slots can and will affect everyone else playing on the same map regardless if they have an option to enable the feature or not.

That is a solid argument that I cannot argue.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Use the Waypoint or the other 2 exits?mount up and literally run past them?

and now you just gave the no. 1 reason why warclaw was a much needed and valid addition to wvw.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

So other players shouldn't have their pve enjoyment raised

lowered. Lowered a lot.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

it is 'an option' that would even interfere with people who opt out. From newbies being trolled out of the game (reducing player population) to meta maps suffering because some people can not be a* to go to pvp arena or guild hall.

You want to fight? Go wvw, go pvp, go guild arena. There are your options. Have fun.

even if most people wanted world pvp it wouldnt work. core maps too small, no way to separate teams without returning to race wars other than dividing players up into mercs and factions. the game would just be flooded with the same top 3 meta builds (just like now lul). no one would really be able to DO anything because NPCs would either be constantly dead or camped. this game would actually be a s***show and the population would flatline

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:even if most people wanted world pvp it wouldnt work. core maps too small, no way to separate teams without returning to race wars other than dividing players up into mercs and factions.

This is a good point. Any good MMO that has offered an open world PvP option has provided a lore-based reason why players are fighting each other. This usually means factions. If ANet were motivated to add open world PvP and avoid the inevitable comparisons to games like Rappelz that offer PvP with no real rhyme or reason to it, they'd want to recreate the lore. This would require a ton of work. Not only would they need to rework how players and NPC's can interact with each other, they'd have to rewrite the game's basic story. They could use existing factions (Inquest, Flame Legion, Sons of Svanir, etc.) but they's have to create an alliance between them, otherwise an Asura who opted to join the Inquest would not have a lore-based reason to attack players who opted for the normal Norn allegiance on Shiverpeaks maps.

They could add factions in a new area (like they did with Luxons and Kurzicks in Cantha -- though that was just for Alliance Battles and the Ft. Aspenwood/Jade Quarry maps). However, if they did, open PvP would only be possible there. Even that would require them to revise the rules of engagement on PvE maps, and probably rethink zone metas, which are most of what provides needed replay value to open PvE.

The truth is that we as players are myopic. We tend to assume that most people will share our preferences, even though that might not be so. None of us can assume whether open PvP would add to the game's appeal or detract from it. The people who might be in a position to know a bit more about what would fly -- ANet -- opted to sequester PvP away from the PvE masses from launch. All options to duel which have been added since are also out of sight of PvE-only players. To me, those facts speak to ANet's intent.

Please don't use "we PVE people" like you are in charge of them or you asked them all one by one. Every player is different and has different opinion. Your opinion is yours and cannot speak for the mass even if many of the players agree with you. I am a PvE player and I created the topic and gave the suggestion. And for me something like "it's going to hurt my eyes to see a fight" or "don't want to see my precious chat filled with hate" is not a valid point. My idea was simply to improve the gaming experiance for those who seek something more in the open world... no matter new or old player. My idea was simply for the sake of the game. I tried to put my idea on a measuring scale and figure out is this idea going to hurt more the game or help it more. I came to the conclusion that is going to improve it even by little and thats why I started the discussion. It's sad to see so much hate for the idea just because of someone being afraid of something new or something that is going to hurt your eyes. If it's fear you are having.... don't be...Anet won't add something that is going to ruin the game or hurt the community in any way so if they consider adding OW PvP in the future it's going to be added extra careful, tested etc. Just see the mounts... many ppl said mounts will ruin the game because of the WP system going useless, events will be passed by etc. Now we see mount actually help the events.

Anet has added and augmented areas for PvP encounters. Obsidian sanctum had rework. EOTM was added. PVP lobby has a battle area. Guild halls have arenas. There lots of spots. The real issue, I believe, is that the player who want PVP in PVE just can't find enough other pvp fighters and want a new source of them. Maybe Anet could add a LFG option for LOOKING FOR FIGHT and someone accepts and off they go to some flat, featureless instanced battle field where they duke it out until someone decides to leave.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

If it's an option either way how does it effect u as I'd assume ud not use the option to enable it. Very petty to turn down a option for other when there's an option for it to have zero effect on ur gameplay. The chat thing is petty as well. By ur rediculouse e-kitten comment as a 38 yr old family man who happens to like pvp AND pve I say to u grow up :)The point is that there already exists a game mode for PvP. It would be a waste of development time/resources to set up PvP in PvE including a toggle switch. PvP in PvE is simply redundant.