Help! How do I find my son in GW2 so we can play side by side lol

Hello, I'm actually largely blind so sometimes things just don't come easy to me...lol I've started playing GW2 on my over-sized computer screen and I'm really enjoying it a lot, though. My youngest son really liked watching me play it and he's an avid gamer too so we've decided to play it together - killer father/son time! :-D One problem, though - how do we find each other! lol ANY help will be greatly appreciated and all responses will be replied too...thank you so much! :-D

Atomic Hillbilly

the starting point is you and your son need to create character in the same server. then you can search either of your character name added as friend. and join into a party. you will see a blue glowing spot on your map. use waypint travel into same location then you can play together.

@"JUN YANG.4328" said:the starting point is you and your son need to create character in the same server.

This is only correct for WvW. For any kind of PvP or PvE server dont matter. So even if you started on different servers, it is not a problem.

There is several ways to find each other, assuming you know your sons account name you can add him as a friend by pressing the "Looking for group" (LFG) botton in the top left part of your screen. And then in the "Friend" tap, type in the account name (ex. XXXXX.1234). He will then be able to either do the same with your account name.

If you just know the character name of one of his characters, then in your chat (bottom left) you can type "/w NameOfHisCharacter" message" then you can right click on his name in the chat and press "add to friendlist" or "invite to party". If you invite him to a party and he accept, then you be a blue dot on his map, and he will be a blue dot on your map.

If he is on your friend list, then by pressing on LFG (top left of your screen) you will see his name and next to it what map he is in.

You can also join the same guild (or make your own guild, I'd recommend joining an already existing one). This way you can look in the guild tab to see where each other are (what map).

Last thing, if you are in the same party, and in the same map. But the party picture of him is black (in the top left corner where you can see your party members pictures), then its due to the 2 of you being in different overflows (different copy's of the same map) then simply right click on his black picture and pick "join in xxx-map" option, then you will join his overflow of the map (this is generally refered to as taxi'ing).

Hope this helped :)

You don't need to be on the same server, save for playing in WvW. Just in the same region: EU or NA.As above, you add the character name or Display Name (not Account Name) to your friends list, right-click and choose 'Add to Party', then join in the same map.Or, you can often play in the same map without being in a party, but being in a party guarantees being able to find each other.

The Wiki (link above) has a wealth of information on all things Guild Wars 2.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Party

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

First and simplest step: Go to the same location. Unlike some other MMOs I've played there is no way to teleport to someone you're grouped with (well, there is, but only if you have an item from black lion chests, so it's not reliably available). So the first step in meeting up with someone in-game is just like in real life - decide on a place to meet and both go there at the same time.

That might well be all that's required. But this game uses 'mega-servers' to share maps between servers, so there can be multiple copies of the same map at once, with different people in them. Which is great because it means we never get put into a queue to enter a map and overwhelming lag from too many people in the same place is much less likely, but it does mean it's possible for two players to be in the same location at the same time and not see each other. That's when you need to use the method described above to form a party and then use the 'join in [map name]' option to get onto the same map.

BTW there are no race/profession restrictions on where you can go in this game, you don't have to worry about being in different factions and not allowed into each other's cities or anything like that. If you've just started and you picked different races you will start in different locations, but you will be able to meet up by using the asura gates in cities to go from one races starting area to another. (If your son is on a free account and his character is below level 30 you'll have to go to him, because he won't be able to use the gates yet.) If you need any help with finding out how to get to each other's location let us known. Unless for some reason you pick somewhere really out of the way to meet it won't take more than a few minutes to get there, but it does involve knowing the route.

Once in game, press Y to open the LFG panel. If your son is online, type the name of his character; if he's offline type the name of his account, including the numbers (so for example, if he wants to add you to his friend list and you are offline, he can search Atomic HillBilly.6512)

As suggested by other players above, it would be better to play on the same server (it really doesn't matter in PvE, but you might want to experience some WvW together one day). Also, when you step in Lion's Arch, one of you could create a guild (it costs 1 gold), so you can both join and use the guild chat (easier to talk each other, without being forced to join a party or send whispers).

Best of luck to you two! I tried for years to play with someone of my family, but no one is interested in videogames :/

@Urud.4925 said:Best of luck to you two! I tried for years to play with someone of my family, but no one is interested in videogames :/

Yeah I'm kind of jealous. My parents got me into gaming (starting on their ZX Spectrum when I was too small to know, or care, what I was doing) but neither of them are interested in GW2. My mum doesn't like any game with violence or where anything happens suddenly or unexpectedly, and my dad's not interested in games which take a long time to complete. He likes RTS games with levels, where the entire game can take ages but you can complete a level in a relatively short time.

(And if I said I like the idea of parent and children playing together they'll tell me that's another reason I should have kids.)

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Urud.4925 said:Best of luck to you two! I tried for years to play with someone of my family, but no one is interested in videogames :/Yeah I'm kind of jealous. [...]

My parents don't even know how to boot up a computer, so... =)

@Atomic Hillbilly.6512 said:how do we find each other!

Have you been able by now to resolve the problem with the help provided above? :)