Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world

@kharmin.7683 said:

If it's an option either way how does it effect u as I'd assume ud not use the option to enable it. Very petty to turn down a option for other when there's an option for it to have zero effect on ur gameplay. The chat thing is petty as well. By ur rediculouse e-kitten comment as a 38 yr old family man who happens to like pvp AND pve I say to u grow up :)The point is that there already exists a game mode for PvP. It would be a waste of development time/resources to set up PvP in PvE including a toggle switch. PvP in PvE is simply redundant.

I don't agree that it would be redundant as wvw isn't pve and is far from it but I do understand ur arguement about whether or not I'd be worth the resources to implement in which case it probably wouldn't.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

If it's an option either way how does it effect u as I'd assume ud not use the option to enable it. Very petty to turn down a option for other when there's an option for it to have zero effect on ur gameplay. The chat thing is petty as well. By ur rediculouse e-kitten comment as a 38 yr old family man who happens to like pvp AND pve I say to u grow up :)The point is that there already exists a game mode for PvP. It would be a waste of development time/resources to set up PvP in PvE including a toggle switch. PvP in PvE is simply redundant.

Not a valid argument. If we say there is already enough maps, enough elite specs, enough mounts etc. ... then let's leave the game as it is without the game progressing and getting bigger. So saying "already exists a game mode for PvP" is not a valid argument to stop searching and adding new ways of PvP.

Disagreement does not invalidate argument. Just sayin. ;)

Anyway, if there is a problem with the current iteration of PvP, then development resources would be better served to improve that mode rather than being spent to force one game mode into another when one already exists.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I don't agree that it would be redundant as wvw isn't pve and is far from itYou wouldn't be doing PvE with this flag turned on anyway. Otherwise, considering the amount of cleaves and AoE being thrown around as a matter of course, you'd have life expectancy of less than 5 seconds in any kind of bigger group content.In the end, PvE and PvP would still not mix.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Won't say it's forcing one mode in to another in my opinion...more like coexisting.And like i just said, they wouldn't really coexist anyway.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

I don't agree that it would be redundant as wvw isn't pve and is far from itYou wouldn't be doing PvE with this flag turned on anyway. Otherwise, considering the amount of cleaves and AoE being thrown around as a matter of course, you'd have life expectatny of less than 5 seconds in any kind of bigger group content.In the end, PvE and PvP would still not mix.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Won't say it's forcing one mode in to another in my opinion...more like coexisting.And like i just said, they wouldn't really coexist anyway.

Oh I'm all sorts of crazy I'd have it enabled everywhere at all times. Looking over ur shoulder, constantly watching my surroundings waiting and anticipating what could happen around every corner while I do map completion etc would bring excitement to pve to the point that it wouldn't be so mind numbingly easy and boring lol. Fully subjective I kno obviously lolI'd prob never leave pve lol.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Oh I'm all sorts of crazy I'd have it enabled everywhere at all times. Looking over ur shoulder, constantly watching my surroundings waiting and anticipating what could happen around every corner while I do map completion etc would bring excitement to pve to the point that it wouldn't be so mind numbingly easy and boring lol. Fully subjective I kno obviously lolIt's not about solo playing in open world with this tag on. It's doing the metaevents with this tag on. Can you imagine what would happen if 3-4 people with this tag on decided to do the same path of Dragon's Stand, for example? Or same lane for Gerent? They wouldn't even know what killed them. There would be exactly zero chance of them surviving. So, anyone wanting to do any group-related content in PvE would learn to switch this tag off very fast.Which mean that even the majority of people that would be interested in the feature would likely be running with it switched off.

(although, a group of pvp-flagged necros using that feature not to kill each other, but to bounce epis off each other to kill a pve boss would surely be fun to watch)

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Oh I'm all sorts of crazy I'd have it enabled everywhere at all times. Looking over ur shoulder, constantly watching my surroundings waiting and anticipating what could happen around every corner while I do map completion etc would bring excitement to pve to the point that it wouldn't be so mind numbingly easy and boring lol. Fully subjective I kno obviously lolIt's not about solo playing in open world with this tag on. It's doing the metaevents with this tag on. Can you imagine what would happen if 3-4 people with this tag on decided to do the same path of Dragon's Stand, for example? Or same lane for Gerent? They wouldn't even know what killed them. There would be exactly zero chance of them surviving. So, anyone wanting to do any group-related content in PvE would learn to switch this tag off very fast.Which mean that even the majority of people that
would
be interested in the feature would likely be running with it switched off.

(although, a group of pvp-flagged necros using that feature not to kill each other, but to bounce epis off each other to kill a pve boss would surely be fun to watch)

Oh Haha yeah defenitly hear u on that,would have to opt out of the option while doing group activities lol

@Vieux P.1238 said:First of all, there's different ways to go about it with out killing the pve casuals experience. Yeah tags works but i much prefer to divert open world pvp into pvp zones when you enter it. But open world pvp zones or tags or what ever will not fix this game. Not unless theirs a monetary reason attach to it. Such as limited resources to be harvested in a zone. That will get players guilds to compete & war for it. Open world has to be competitive & not in the WvW way where you have to grab every castles. That's just boring. Lets just say it could be done better. Other games does it better already. Why not Gw2.. ah yea.. Cuz of lazy casuals that only want pve. Well good luck with that.You'd have to completely redo all pve content for your idea to work (because having factions would not change anything i have mentioned). And then it would be as popular as any other game with it. Probably even less, because the players that are interested in it for the most part are already playing those other games. So, why exactly should we change GW2 into something completely different if we could just go play something already existimg instead?

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Oh I'm all sorts of crazy I'd have it enabled everywhere at all times. Looking over ur shoulder, constantly watching my surroundings waiting and anticipating what could happen around every corner while I do map completion etc would bring excitement to pve to the point that it wouldn't be so mind numbingly easy and boring lol. Fully subjective I kno obviously lolIt's not about solo playing in open world with this tag on. It's doing the metaevents with this tag on. Can you imagine what would happen if 3-4 people with this tag on decided to do the same path of Dragon's Stand, for example? Or same lane for Gerent? They wouldn't even know what killed them. There would be exactly zero chance of them surviving. So, anyone wanting to do any group-related content in PvE would learn to switch this tag off very fast.Which mean that even the majority of people that
would
be interested in the feature would likely be running with it switched off.

First of all, there's different ways to go about it with out killing the pve casuals experience. Yeah tags works but i much prefer to divert open world pvp into pvp zones when you enter it. But open world pvp zones or tags or what ever will not fix this game. Not unless theirs a monetary reason attach to it. Such as limited resources to be harvested in a zone. That will get players guilds to compete & war for it. Open world has to be competitive & not in the WvW way where you have to grab every castles. That's just boring. Lets just say it could be done better. Other games does it better already. Why not Gw2.. ah yea.. Cuz of lazy casuals that only want pve. Well good luck with that.

Players with this attitude will be spamming map chat with complaint's about casuals too lazy to duel. Who needs it.

@"Vieux P.1238" said:Other games does it better already. Why not Gw2

GW2 from the beginning created separate game modes because they understand mixing them never works out. So if you can't don't agree with this design choice, feel free to enjoy those other "great" games.

BTW i'm wondering which games are so "hugely popular with mixed PVP and PVE modes." History tells me those modes never got along at all. Every developer in history really struggle to find the right balance. It turns out, that balance is to separate the two.

Cuz of lazy casuals that only want pve. Well good luck with that.

Thanks to casuals, the PVE mode is the most popular, most profitable mode. So yeah Anet should thank casual PVEers.

@Draco.9480 said:meanwhile you have albion online which have open world pvp full loot, if get killed, lose all yer loot to the person who killed you. while in gw2 players want safe space.gw2 community never wants any surprise nor challenges, it's just sad.

It's a good thing that different games offer different style of gaming. If you dislike GW2 play style, what are you doing here instead of playing Albion?

@Shena Fu.5792 said:

@Vieux P.1238 said:Other games does it better already. Why not Gw2

Thanks to casuals, the PVE mode is the most popular, most profitable mode. So yeah Anet should thank casual PVEers.

Yeah, cuz pve Is the only mode that's viable atm. It's the only mode that get's content every so often from devs. WvW & pvp is in a shamble. No wonder pve is the only thing keeping Gw2 alive. & yet there's so little of you casual players out there to support pve. To the point that many group events around Tyria can't be completed cuz zones are empty. So what exactly are you proud about?

@Blanche Neige.7241 said:

@"Vieux P.1238" said:there's so little of you casual players out there to support pve.

Enough to support the game for 7 years.

To the point that many group events around Tyria can't be completed cuz zones are empty. So what exactly are you proud about?

Which ones exactly?

Any events in HoT like VB to start with. PoF & Core as well. You name it.. Unless someone is pro active & sets up something & lfg... Nothing happens. You can range from 2 to 10 players on a 30 minimum player group event. Are all servers like this?

This thread here makes a good point out of it. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/65992/pve-how-to-increase-map-relevanceTrying to deny there's a population problem won't fix this issu that's been lingering for years now.

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Vieux P.1238 said:there's so little of you casual players out there to support pve.

To the point that many group events around Tyria can't be completed cuz zones are empty. So what exactly are you proud about?

Which ones exactly?

Any events in HoT like VB to start with. PoF & Core as well. You name it.. Unless someone is pro active & sets up something & lfg... Nothing happens. You can range from 2 to 10 players on a 30 minimum player group event. Are all servers like this?

This thread here makes a good point out of it.
Trying to deny there's a population problem won't fix this issu that's been lingering for years now.

There are no 30 minimum group events in verdant brink mate, all of them can be done with 5-6 people.

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Vieux P.1238 said:there's so little of you casual players out there to support pve.

Which ones exactly?

This thread here makes a good point out of it.
Trying to deny there's a population problem won't fix this issu that's been lingering for years now.

The thing is, we only have anecdotal evidence of a population problem. Sure, game population is most likely going to get lower over time. However, we have no idea how low it is. Low attendance at meta events in some maps can be easily explained by reward issues, and thus cannot be used as evidence of a population problem.

No matter the game's actual population, if event or map rewards are not enticing, or if most of the available population have gotten what they wanted from the map, this is going to affect the numbers participating. In GW2, unique rewards (those that can only be gotten from a specific event/map) are limited in scope. Ongoing rewards (mostly salvageable kitten) can be had anywhere. Once players gain the unique rewards, they will migrate to the map(s) where they get the best time/reward ratio to farm mats/gold.

OK, I'm going to segue back to the thread topic. Persistent world PvP as a solution to a perceived population problem assumes that PvE population would increase if ANet allowed PvP in PvE maps. This may seem like a given, if players who want to kill other players in those maps are not currently going to PvE. Instant population increase, right? Maybe not. How many will be turned off (rightly or wrongly) and stop playing? We don't know. Finally, is someone who disdains PvE content but who is on a PvE map to PvP going to bother doing the PvE content, or just roam around looking for like-minded targets? If the latter, they may be filling a spot on the map, or scaling an event, but not really contributing.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Open world wont kill gw2. PvP/WvW players will have something to do in the open world and thus learn more about PvE on the way. PvE players on the other hand will get used to seeing players getting killed by other players and maybe learn more about the PvP/WvW community a little bit more while communicating with some WvW/PvP players. And thus go do some PvP and WvW. What my idea is basically bringing all the community together around all the contents that this game is providing, not splitting them apart. I know WvW players playing the game doing only WvW, not knowing what a guild hall is even. I know PvE players who havent played WvW a single time. I know PvP player that does only tournaments. Why all of you think splitted community is a good community ? WvW struggle for fresh blood ? How do you suggest they do that ? Go out in LA spreading the good word and putting posters on the bank and trading post ?

Buddy, you really don't get it do you?

The PvE community doesn't want any kind of PvP in their PvE world.I agree, PvP is dying but don't make it other peoples problem. Especially when they voiced their opinionin 457.254.390 threads before this one.

I make it easy for you. I am living in a world where i am competing against other people 24/7and i don't wish to do so in my spare time. On purpose i choose a place where all that is shut out for 1 or 2 hours.And i couldn't give a kitten WvW or PvP is dying or will be removed because this here is mainly a fantasy RPG.If i like hockey I don't want to be taken to basketball despite we are all sports people.In this case a splitted community is good because i can focus on what i like, hockey.

Is there anything unclear about that?

@Kurrilino.2706 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Open world wont kill gw2. PvP/WvW players will have something to do in the open world and thus learn more about PvE on the way. PvE players on the other hand will get used to seeing players getting killed by other players and maybe learn more about the PvP/WvW community a little bit more while communicating with some WvW/PvP players. And thus go do some PvP and WvW. What my idea is basically bringing all the community together around all the contents that this game is providing, not splitting them apart. I know WvW players playing the game doing only WvW, not knowing what a guild hall is even. I know PvE players who havent played WvW a single time. I know PvP player that does only tournaments. Why all of you think splitted community is a good community ? WvW struggle for fresh blood ? How do you suggest they do that ? Go out in LA spreading the good word and putting posters on the bank and trading post ?

The PvE community doesn't want any kind of PvP in their PvE world.I agree, PvP is dying but don't make it other peoples problem. Especially when they voiced their opinionin 457.254.390 threads before this one.

I make it easy for you. I am living in a world where i am competing against other people 24/7and i don't wish to do so in my spare time. On purpose i choose a place where all that is shut out for 1 or 2 hours.And i couldn't give a kitten WvW or PvP is dying or will be removed because this here is mainly a fantasy RPG.If i like hockey I don't want to be taken to basketball despite we are all sports people.In this case a splitted community is good because i can focus on what i like, hockey.

& i already told you. Both can coexist in the same world map with out affecting one game mode or the other. & can assure you, theirs as much if not more WvW & pvp' players combined that makes up more then half of the Gw2 community population. So your in the minority if you want to measure pve community to pvp'ers. .

@Vieux P.1238 said:

& i already told you. Both can coexist in the same world map with out affecting one game mode or the other. & can assure you, theirs as much if not more WvW & pvp' players combined that makes up more then half of the Gw2 community population. So your in the minority if you want to measure pve community to pvp'ers. .

You can tell me as much as you want.I DO NOT WANT TO COEXIST. Deal with it. And i don't care who is majority or minority.

There is a reason A-Net made different communities. Is that so difficult to understand?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Why would PvP- or WvW-centric players want PvP in PvE maps? To decimate their population in PvP/WvW maps even more?Seems counter-productive.

Decimate population?!!!!! You would reunite all population into 1 roof. What are you talking about?Instead of splitting up population into 3 game modes, you would have 2. Open world pve & pvp on each of there specific relative zones. & Spvp maps.WvW as it's own instance don't work. Get rid of it. Have all WvW players fight it off in specific open world pvp zones for limited resources that spawns.& when special events like boss fights arise, you'l be surprise the number of players joining in just cuz there in the world map instead of WvW.

PVE zone or Quest zones would not be touch by pvp. Simple ..