Equalize the day/night cycle?

The day/night cycle is a good thing that accentuates the passing of time and regularly changes the appearance of the landscape, and visually affects many weapons and items. I'm one of those who prefer the night time, which unfortunately lasts 40 minutes while the daytime lasts 70 minutes... I think it would be more coherent, and more changing, if the day and night times were equalized. Of course the maps that have mechanics based on that (like Verdant Brink) should remain unchanged, and the sigils should be rebalanced or perhaps made active for a maximum of 40 minutes per night. But I think it's for the best, if only for the aesthetic of the game, to have a more regularly changed light. Perhaps the transition times should be increased as well, I thin 5 minutes aren't very immersive even in game logic, I find it too quick as I can clearly see the changes happening right under my nose. My personnal suggestion is 15 minutes for these transition times.If we keep the 2 hours cycle, that would mean that, 15 minutes would be dedicated to each transition time, and 45 minutes would be dedicated to night and day respectively.

I'm the opposite, I prefer the day time to night (in game and in real life) so I quite like the current cycle, but maybe it could be made a bit more even.

Or...much more ambitious but I think potentially kind of cool - they could introduce seasons and have longer nights during the winter and shorter nights in the summer. Maybe not as drastic as the Arctic Circle where in the middle of winter the sun doesn't actually get above the horizon, but maybe like the UK where in the winter it gets light at 8am and dark at 4pm and in the summer it gets light at 5am and dark at 9pm.

@Randulf.7614 said:They can’t change one map and leave another. Plus so many events, items and collections are tied to the cycle that to make a change would take time and likely break something. And for basically no gain.

That depends on how they're tied to it. It might be that there's something in the game which records the 'state' as day or night and all those things just check when it is, so they'll work regardless of when or how frequently it changes. Or they might all be on their own timers designed to match the day/night cycle in which case it would be a huge piece of work. Or somewhere in between.

@coso.9173 said:all i want are actual sunset and sunrises, like actual pink and orange/red skies, I think this would look awesome instead of the weird transition we've got now.

That would probably require much more work than just changing the timers. But yea that would be super cool, like a yellow-orange-ish sky in the morning and an orange-red-ish sky in the evening? I'd love that.And how about a tiny cadrant right nex to the mini map that shows us what time of the day it is in-game?

Like Danikat, I prefer the daylight. I can see things better, I can get prettier screenshots. Games have a number of approaches to doing day/night and I think GW2's has pleased me the most so far. WoW had a 24 hour cycle and I happened to be on a server that matched my time zone, but that meant that any evening play was going to be night. My vague recollection of Horizons is that it had a short but even cycle, which meant if you needed an event or monster that only spawned in one half of it you might have to wait a long time, and night's visibility issues filled up way too much play time.

In GW2 there's enough of a cycle to suggest the passing of days, but the headache-causing squinting hours are less than the good visibility ones. It is true that night is a little hard to notice here other than the washing out of color, but since I don't want my screen to be black while I fumble around bumping into stuff, I find that tolerable.

@Donari.5237 said:Like Danikat, I prefer the daylight. I can see things better, I can get prettier screenshots. Games have a number of approaches to doing day/night and I think GW2's has pleased me the most so far. WoW had a 24 hour cycle and I happened to be on a server that matched my time zone, but that meant that any evening play was going to be night. My vague recollection of Horizons is that it had a short but even cycle, which meant if you needed an event or monster that only spawned in one half of it you might have to wait a long time, and night's visibility issues filled up way too much play time.

In GW2 there's enough of a cycle to suggest the passing of days, but the headache-causing squinting hours are less than the good visibility ones. It is true that night is a little hard to notice here other than the washing out of color, but since I don't want my screen to be black while I fumble around bumping into stuff, I find that tolerable.

That's one reason I always play as a khajiit in Elder Scrolls games. Apart from Elder Scrolls Online they have very dark nights (and often very dark caves) - literally dark enough that you can barely see the ground in front of you - and without the Eye of Night ability I always found it extremely frustrating.

Compared to games like that GW2's nights are barely noticeable and not really a hinderance, which is why I wouldn't mind if the night was longer. I wouldn't want it to be a 24 hour cycle (and especially not to match my time, for the same reason - I'd never see daylight in game) but with the current 2 hour cycle I don't think it would be a problem.

@Randulf.7614 said:They can’t change one map and leave another. Plus so many events, items and collections are tied to the cycle that to make a change would take time and likely break something. And for basically no gain.

IIRC BFF runs at its own pace in that it is considered night while the storm is up which can be a long time if nobody does the champs.

@Galmac.4680 said:Well, such differences of day and night duration is quite normal, we have it every day except of 2 days a year. And Tyria is a fantasy world, where it seems to be summer season with longer daylight time than nighttime. Just accept it.

Maybe it is a planet where its axis is pointed at its star rather being more or less perpendicular and the day/night cycle comes from the wobble in its spin ...

Topic's like these just reminds me that GW2 actually have a day/night cycle that I never see, because it's like 10% difference in light. And makes me miss Dragon's Dogma where night is pitch black and enemies spawns everywhere. GW2 day/night feels like northern norway in summer time, everything's just "dim" at night.

@Galmac.4680 said:Well, such differences of day and night duration is quite normal, we have it every day except of 2 days a year. And Tyria is a fantasy world, where it seems to be summer season with longer daylight time than nighttime. Just accept it.

I presume you mean that we have a 50/50 length of day and night twice a year. Because one half of the year, the night is longer than the day and the other half the day is longer than the night. And as it's a perpetual summer in Tyria (even in the Shiverpeaks), it makes sense that the night is shorter than the day...

@"Donari.5237" said:Like Danikat, I prefer the daylight. I can see things better, I can get prettier screenshots. Games have a number of approaches to doing day/night and I think GW2's has pleased me the most so far. WoW had a 24 hour cycle and I happened to be on a server that matched my time zone, but that meant that any evening play was going to be night. My vague recollection of Horizons is that it had a short but even cycle, which meant if you needed an event or monster that only spawned in one half of it you might have to wait a long time, and night's visibility issues filled up way too much play time.

Don't exagerrate, we clearly see everything even in night (do you have the "light adaptation" setting enabled?). I'd even say that I see more clearly during night, because everything isn't bathed in saturated light. As for the prettier sceenshorts, that's a suvjective point of view, I much prefer the night time ones.

I agree that a 24 hours cycle is not a good idea. I wouldn't mind increasing GW2's cycle to maybe 5 hours (as to make it so that night isn't at the exact same hours everyday). That would feel very immersive in my opinion. Again, I don't see how night time can make stuff hard to see for you. Perhaps it's a setting you need to change?