where does it state in the lore that Warriors dont use magic?

Knighthonor.4061

I cant find that anywhere. Where is the evidence of this?In GW1 all the classes were pretty much connected to the Gods for the source of their magic and power. This included Warriors. And the Dual Class nature of the first game would imply that magic was never off limits to Warriors. So why is Magic such an offlimit thing to Warriors 200 years later?Many different cultures had their own Warriors, some of which used different kinds of magic. Dervish for example were stated to also be Warriors.

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:I cant find that anywhere. Where is the evidence of this?In GW1 all the classes were pretty much connected to the Gods for the source of their magic and power. This included Warriors. And the Dual Class nature of the first game would imply that magic was never off limits to Warriors. So why is Magic such an offlimit thing to Warriors 200 years later?Many different cultures had their own Warriors, some of which used different kinds of magic. Dervish for example were stated to also be Warriors.

My understanding is that all characters use magic, just some skills/traits/profs use more than others. Mesmers abilities are nearly all magical; warrior use hardly any. However, I also remember thinking that [As noted below,] the actual in-game lore and out-of-game developer explanations leave things more ambiguous, enough so that there's room for a diversity of "head canon."

FYI As I recall, it a dev responding to questions during an AMA addressed this a few years back. @Konig Des Todes.2086 might have saved the link because I remember KDT referring to it up in the past. I'll see if I can track it down later, if no one has linked it. has kindly linked to @Scott McGough.6897's post on the old forums. See below.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:I cant find that anywhere. Where is the evidence of this?In GW1 all the classes were pretty much connected to the Gods for the source of their magic and power. This included Warriors. And the Dual Class nature of the first game would imply that magic was never off limits to Warriors. So why is Magic such an offlimit thing to Warriors 200 years later?Many different cultures had their own Warriors, some of which used different kinds of magic. Dervish for example were stated to also be Warriors.

My understanding is that all characters use magic, just some skills/traits/profs use more than others. Mesmers abilities are nearly all magical; warrior use hardly any. However, I also remember thinking that the actual in-game lore and out-of-game developer explanations leave things more ambiguous, enough so that there's room for a diversity of "head canon."

FYI As I recall, it a dev responding to questions during an AMA addressed this a few years back. @"Konig Des Todes.2086" might have saved the link because I remember KDT referring to it up in the past. I'll see if I can track it down later, if no one has linked it.

Beep boop, link for you. Didn't save it but I knew where to find it (Scott McGough's posting history on the old forum archives).

TL;DR of the post and follow-up(s):

Engineers and Warriors are capable of using magic, but their skills are visually represented in a non-magical sense. There is no official statement that "warriors do not use magic" because there is no such absolute, but rather, there's an explicit lack of showcasing they use magic. For engineers, it is more of "they are shown using magic-imbued technology" rather than "they are shown using magic directly", while for warriors it's "they're shown doing super awesome things with brute strength, but one could argue it's magic-enhanced strength." Except spellbreaker that is - that seems to be actively utilizing (and showcasing the use of) magic, but above post is pre-PoF.

Because of this, whether or not a warrior or engineer uses magic is "up to the player to decide". Same mentality that Bobby Stein talks about for whether or not the Commander is involved in the raids. ArenaNet does this kind of ambiguous "up in the air" thing a lot when it comes to what the PC does or doesn't do. If it involves the PC, and isn't part of the 'golden path' of the story journal, then it's ultimately a "may or may not, the player decides for themselves" situation.

Scott uses the warrior banners as a prime example of "it's up for interpretation and roleplay": The banners may visually appear as if falling from the sky, but they're equally arguable to be on the warrior's back and slammed down, or indeed summoned via magic, and their effects - like the effects of shouts - could be mere moral represented via boons (and cons) in-game, or actual magic that's enhancing the warriors' allies and hindering their enemies.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Because of this, whether or not a warrior or engineer uses magic is "up to the player to decide". Same mentality that Bobby Stein talks about for whether or not the Commander is involved in the raids. ArenaNet does this kind of ambiguous "up in the air" thing a lot when it comes to what the PC does or doesn't do. If it involves the PC, and isn't part of the 'golden path' of the story journal, then it's ultimately a "may or may not, the player decides for themselves" situation.

Scott uses the warrior banners as a prime example of "it's up for interpretation and roleplay": The banners may visually appear as if falling from the sky, but they're equally arguable to be on the warrior's back and slammed down, or indeed summoned via magic, and their effects - like the effects of shouts - could be mere moral represented via boons (and cons) in-game, or actual magic that's enhancing the warriors' allies and hindering their enemies.

Why can't I do helpful and thumbs up lol?

But yes. ^ is true. It's not that "warriors don't use magic" but "some warriors can be viewed as choosing to not use magic.". The answer finally came about and ended a lot of debate and back and forth concerning it, especially since we see so many civilians that don't use magic at all (where some people believed that everybody used magic in some fashion, civilian to adventurer and military).

I'd word it less as "Magic is off-limit" and more of "Much of what the warrior is shown to do ingame (bar some specific abilities) can be described in a non-magical way, or as being a magic item as opposed to being a personally cast spell."

Like Berserker abilities. It could be channeled fire magic of their own ability and casting, or a magically enchanted torch that is being triggered by the warrior.

@"Kalavier.1097" said:Like Berserker abilities. It could be channeled fire magic of their own ability and casting, or a magically enchanted torch that is being triggered by the warrior.

Or to use the wording of the original Berserker blog post:

While the guardian uses magical flames for protection and purging, berserkers use the torch as a reckless weapon of destruction, slamming it into the ground and even lighting themselves ablaze to become mobile fire fields.https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-berserker-warriors-elite-specialization/

Which sounds decidedly non-magical in every aspect. It's effectively describing a guy who literally lights himself on fire and shrugs it off after bearhugging his enemies while aflame.

Id say warriors use magic, just not as flashy as eles or mesmer do.They use it to enhance their attacks, and especially the berserker f1 skills. Look at the hammer f1. He slams the hammer on the ground, which sends imo magical shockwaves through the ground that immobalize his enemies (and the animation looks like some sort of magic too and not caused by the force of the impact)

i'm assuming this has to do with your fanspec. all classes uses some form of magic, the issue is that each class has their own theming when it comes to magic and especs generally use magic that's befitting of the class. (for example you're not gonna let guardians summon undead abominations or have ele use flower power). for warrior this means more enhancing their fysical abilities more then shooting magic missiles.

as for your justicar (or whatever) the issue wasn't that it used magic but that it used guardian magic

@derd.6413 said:i'm assuming this has to do with your fanspec. all classes uses some form of magic, the issue is that each class has their own theming when it comes to magic and especs generally use magic that's befitting of the class. (for example you're not gonna let guardians summon undead abominations or have ele use flower power). for warrior this means more enhancing their fysical abilities more then shooting magic missiles.

as for your justicar (or whatever) the issue wasn't that it used magic but that it used guardian magic

Guardian magic isnt specific to any one class as you all put it. As I said, Justicars were also Holy Warriors, and they mostly consisted of Warrior/Dervish/Monk.

Guardians are mostly Warrior/Ritualist/Monk.There is room for both just as Dragonhunter Guardian isnt a Ranger with blue magic.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"derd.6413" said:i'm assuming this has to do with your fanspec. all classes uses some form of magic, the issue is that each class has their own theming when it comes to magic and especs generally use magic that's befitting of the class. (for example you're not gonna let guardians summon undead abominations or have ele use flower power). for warrior this means more enhancing their fysical abilities more then shooting magic missiles.

Guardian magic isnt specific to any one class as you all put it. As I said, Justicars were also Holy Warriors, and they mostly consisted of Warrior/Dervish/Monk.

Guardians are mostly Warrior/Ritualist/Monk.There is room for both just as Dragonhunter Guardian isnt a Ranger with blue magic.

Weeeeeell....

Depends on the strictness of magic in lore. If we're to stay with GW1's "a person cannot use all schools of magic" still, then it depends on that "type of magic" for what all uses.

In this case, paragon, ritualist, and monks all seem to use preservation magic (with ritualists also using mists/spirit magic that exists outside the four schools). Dervishes, rangers, and elementalists appear to utilize the same nature magic too (destruction), while necromancers are aggression and mesmers are denial.

So the reason why Guardians can work, is because while they come from three traditions, all three are using the same magic (the only magic capable of resurrection) from the beginning.

Also, warrior has nothing related to guardians, beyond being martial which isn't very "warrior magic". Hard to say what school that magic would go under, but given the berserker's fire, and how destruction seems to be elemental based, I'd list them as destruction magic too. But making something under the idea of "holy warrior" is very much how guardian is viewed.

If you absolutely had to assign a school to core warrior, I'd probably say Preservation, because Mending.

Not having a fixed connection to any school, though, allows for elite specs to have a variety of sources. Berserker looks elementalist-like. Spellbreaker has been described as W/Me, but the skill names evoke Dervish and Ritualist, and apart from all the boon rip it's actually pretty close to how I could see W/G being implemented. W/N could well become a possibility for those who want a 'dark knight' theme that aren't satisfied by Reaper or Rev. Ultimately, to an extent, elite specs are a replacement for secondary professions, so even if core warrior was certified magic-free, elite specs don't have to stay that way.

Crossing Warrior into a holy knight theme, though, does mean it's moving into a theme that guardian already fits. This isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself - one could definitely imagine a spec that does guardian-like things powered by warrior-like mechanics (again, Spellbreaker). Probably wouldn't go much further in that direction than SB already does, though.

Warrior uses magic to enhance their body when using the skill Endure Pain. Banners are infused with magic thus it grants certain effects to their allies. In the same way their shout has such an effect because they infuse it with magic. Instead of muttering magical incantation to cast a spell to cleanse conditions, for example, they instead infuse their lungs with magic and shout (i.e. "Shake It Off") for the same effect.

You know, I look at stuff like Bull's Charge or literally any of the signets and say "Yeah no magic is involved. Totally." As far as I'm concerned, stereotypical Human warriors channel Balthazar.

Also, those Healing Turrets? Just a very fancy sprinkler system. No magic is involved at all. (Shh, don't tell the Legions.)

@serious.9730 said:Signets, shouts and banners all have magical properties, but even if you excluded them you still have Rampage.

Signets are literally pocket spells. Shouts and banners can or can not have magical properties, it's up to the person.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

Warrior uses magic to enhance their body when using the skill Endure Pain. Banners are infused with magic thus it grants certain effects to their allies. In the same way their shout has such an effect because they infuse it with magic. Instead of muttering magical incantation to cast a spell to cleanse conditions, for example, they instead infuse their lungs with magic and shout (i.e. "Shake It Off") for the same effect.

Endure pain can be sheer focus in ignoring wounds and continuing to fight. See like Boromir in the LOTR movie/book. Or any case in real life of a person enduring severe wounds, only to collapse dead or near-death after the adrenaline runs out.

Shouts and banners are not always magic, some of it is inspiration and morale based. An example is shake it off. Conditions like cripple don't just disappear, and likewise, physical health doesn't quickly regen just because you left combat in lore. In gameplay yeah, but in lore a critically wounded person doesn't just spring up and run off because combat ended.

Warriors can have magical banners and shouts, but they don't have to be magical. This is a case where either direction is perfectly acceptable and applicable to GW2. Non-magical warriors function just fine alongside magical warriors.

@Kalavier.1097 said:

Endure pain can be sheer focus in ignoring wounds and continuing to fight. See like Boromir in the LOTR movie/book. Or any case in real life of a person enduring severe wounds, only to collapse dead or near-death after the adrenaline runs out.

Shouts and banners are not always magic, some of it is inspiration and morale based. An example is shake it off. Conditions like cripple don't just disappear, and likewise, physical health doesn't quickly regen just because you left combat in lore. In gameplay yeah, but in lore a critically wounded person doesn't just spring up and run off because combat ended.

Warriors can have magical banners and shouts, but they don't have to be magical. This is a case where either direction is perfectly acceptable and applicable to GW2. Non-magical warriors function just fine alongside magical warriors.

Whether they use magic all the time or half the time doesn't really matter. The point is that Warrior uses magic.

Whether they use magic all the time or half the time doesn't really matter. The point is that Warrior uses magic.

The point is warriors CAN use magic. Not "They use magic". Warriors can actively use magic a lot. Or they can hardly use it at all, and only at most use magically enchanted items.

As the devs originally pointed out when I finally got that question out. Tyrians typically learn some magic as a child. However, for a good number they simply never bother using it as an adult.

@Kalavier.1097 said:

The point is warriors CAN use magic. Not "They use magic". Warriors can actively use magic a lot. Or they can hardly use it at all, and only at most use magically enchanted items.

As the devs originally pointed out when I finally got that question out. Tyrians typically learn some magic as a child. However, for a good number they simply never bother using it as an adult.

The OP is not asking whether Warriors CAN use magic or not. The OP is asking if Warrior uses magic. Whether to amplify their voice in a shout or endure pain beyond physically and mentally possible, Warriors use magic.

The OP is not asking whether Warriors CAN use magic or not. The OP is asking if Warrior uses magic. Whether to amplify their voice in a shout or endure pain beyond physically and mentally possible, Warriors use magic.

Yes, and the question was asked of a belief that warriors don't use any magic at all.

Therefore it is relevant and important to bring up the fact that warriors can use magic, or they may choose not to use magic and it's entirely up to each individual warrior. Therefore, a warrior who doesn't use any magic is literally as effective and relevant to the world as one who does use magic.

Also, the whole "instantly cured wounds and health regen" has been explicitly stated to be a gameplay mechanic. And you are ignoring that fact that with Adrenaline (that warriors already channel heavily in trained aspects) you can ignore a ton of pain and continue fighting so long as the adrenaline is pumping. "Ignoring/enduring pain" isn't a magical feat by itself.

@Kalavier.1097 said:

Yes, and the question was asked of a belief that warriors don't use any magic at all.

Therefore it is relevant and important to bring up the fact that warriors can use magic, or they may choose not to use magic and it's entirely up to each individual warrior. Therefore, a warrior who doesn't use any magic is literally as effective and relevant to the world as one who does use magic.

Also, the whole "instantly cured wounds and health regen" has been explicitly stated to be a gameplay mechanic. And you are ignoring that fact that with Adrenaline (that warriors already channel heavily in trained aspects) you can ignore a ton of pain and continue fighting so long as the adrenaline is pumping. "Ignoring/enduring pain" isn't a magical feat by itself.

In the world of GW2, it's already a given that everyone CAN use magic regardless of what profession they choose to take. Whether they use it or not is the main question. For instance, Engineers can use magic but don't, while Warriors can use magic and do.

Adrenaline only fuels offensive power not defensive. Warrior's enduring pain is beyond what normal Tyrian can endure. In the case of the Dervish, they use prayers to endure pain which infuse their body with magic. A Norn Warrior, for instance, uses the magic granted by Spirit of the Wild to change their form no different than Humans using the magic from the gods to transform into their avatar.

The magic granted by Balthazar is fire and fire magic can be used to restore people's strength and morale.

==========================================================================

"For weeks did the battle rage on, and those who had taken up the mantle of war grew weary and their courage began to falter.

Then did Balthazar, god of war and fire, appear to the soldiers, carrying with him a grand sword that did glow with such brilliance it blinded any who looked upon it. When he spoke, His voice was like thunder, and it shook the ground with force.

Then saith He, "Lift up thy weapons. For you are my soldiers, and must you be steadfast, strong, and brave of heart. They who neither hesitate nor stumble shall be rewarded. Then shall you have glory. Then shall your deeds be remembered for eternity."

And then did release from His sword a hundred thousand flames, which encircled the soldiers. For this was the fire of courage, and forthwith did they follow the god into battle without fear or hesitation. Thence was the enemy struck down."

==========================================================================— Scriptures of Balthazar, 48 BE (source)

Warrior has been using fire magic the same way, albeit it's not as grandeur as Balthazar's use of magic.

@"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:The OP is not asking whether Warriors CAN use magic or not. The OP is asking if Warrior uses magic. Whether to amplify their voice in a shout or endure pain beyond physically and mentally possible, Warriors use magic.

The OP is asking where it was stated that they do not use magic. Not whether they can or do use magic, but what source states they do not.

The answer is: "There is no source that states they do not use magic. There is a source that states they can but not necessarily do use magic."

The thread is answered, there's no need to drag this out over semantics and derailing.