GS for thieves next elite

alejandro.2093

and zero thief

Anything that wields shadow magic is a thief.

except your "shadow" magic has more in common with necro's dark magic then actual shadow magic and no saying it's shadow magic doesn't make it shadow magic.

Necros use Death Magic which is completely different from Dark Magic. Shadow magic can translate into Dark Magic by simply giving it tangible form, like a guardian's fire from which the spec's design was based off of.

and zero thief

Anything that wields shadow magic is a thief.

except your "shadow" magic has more in common with necro's dark magic then actual shadow magic and no saying it's shadow magic doesn't make it shadow magic.

Necros use Death Magic which is completely different from Dark Magic.

necro is unquestionably the dark mage of the classes no matter how you try to spin it and he's not restricted to just death magic

Shadow magic can translate into Dark Magic by simply giving it tangible form, like a guardian's fire from which the spec's design was based off of.basically confirming that you have no understanding of class themes.

if you want to make a more magic focused thief you can't just rip off necro's theming, dump it on thief and call it shadow magic. i mean for pete's sake, one of the first skills you describe is called "grasping darkness" which is already the name of a necro skill.

as an aside it might be best if we continue this argument on your thread instead of this one

@"derd.6413" said:

necro is unquestionably the dark mage of the classes no matter how you try to spin it and he's not restricted to just death magicThe necro is not a dark mage, it is a necromancer. Everything it has at its disposal deals with life and death. The only dark part about it is its edge.

Shadow magic can translate into Dark Magic by simply giving it tangible form, like a guardian's fire from which the spec's design was based off of.basically confirming that you have no understanding of class themes.Themes mean little to a profession as the whole reason they exist is due to the type of magic they wield via lore, one. Profession themes went out the window with elite specs leaving only their mechanics, two. And three, keeping exactly to thief's core theme is the reason why it's in the position its in. Daredevil, believe it or not, was meant to be the tank spec for the profession. Something that had enough sustain with evades that it could survive without stealth (think hybrid DB/caltrops spam with Signet of Malice and Invigorating Precision). But very few have used it as such because they think of it as Core+, keeping the profession in it's non-role position. So then we get Deadeye which sacrifices mobility for long range burst, putting you far away from combat. Same problem "Core+, rifle not teefy enuf" even though it gives thief arguably the best mobility in the game, albeit awkward to use.

So I designed an actual tank spec with area denial where the focus was tanking on point and not stealth/mobility spam hit and run. Maybe this way, you can hold a point and not just steal kills. Perhaps even get off the meta, which melts to everything.

if you want to make a more magic focused thief you can't just rip off necro's theming, dump it on thief and call it shadow magic. i mean for pete's sake, one of the first skills you describe is called "grasping darkness" which is already the name of a necro skill.You mean Revenant? It was supposed to be the dark knight of GW2 from what I recall, but it wields the powers of the Mist instead of darkness. Secondly, names can be changed. Death's Retreat was my idea before it came into being and I don't remember naming it that (maybe shadow retreat?).

as an aside it might be best if we continue this argument on your thread instead of this one

That would be necroposting. Anet doesn't like necroposts very much.

@"Zacchary.6183" said:That would be necroposting. Anet doesn't like necroposts very much.

Yeah, so instead of that spam the link to that thread in other threads, because that's somehow better. Apparently people don't like that idea and I'm with them. It doesn't seem like your arguments about separating dark/death/black magic will change anything about that.

Also some people already posted in that thread last week "and nothing happened", so your wild guess about necroposting is also wrong.

As for the next espec weapon, I'd prefer something 1H that could be used with thief's dual wield mechanic. There's still quite some weapons left (like mace/axe/torch/scepter or maaaaaybe even shield, but I'm not convinced about this one) which could offer an interesting and fresh take on the thief playstyle.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@"Zacchary.6183" said:That would be necroposting. Anet doesn't like necroposts very much.

Yeah, so instead of that spam the link to that thread in other threads, because that's somehow better. Apparently people don't like that idea and I'm with them. It doesn't seem like your arguments about separating dark/death/black magic will change anything about that.

Also some people already posted in that thread last week "and nothing happened", so your wild guess about necroposting is also wrong.

As for the next espec weapon, I'd prefer something 1H that could be used with thief's dual wield mechanic. There's still quite some weapons left (like mace/axe/torch/scepter or maaaaaybe even shield, but I'm not convinced about this one) which could offer an interesting and fresh take on the thief playstyle.

Last time a dead thread of mine was revived, it got locked immediately. Hense my issue with it. As for other weaponsets, I would not mind axe, torch or shield. Especially shield if it has a cheap parry skill to it

Honestly all I want is dual swords on Thieves so I can stop looking at Revenant to fulfil my Double Sword Power Assassin fantasy.

Warrior Double Sword is more of a hybrid or Condi fighter, and Mesmer Double Sword is more like a duelist than an Assassin.

@Yasai.3549 said:Honestly all I want is dual swords on Thieves so I can stop looking at Revenant to fulfil my Double Sword Power Assassin fantasy.

Warrior Double Sword is more of a hybrid or Condi fighter, and Mesmer Double Sword is more like a duelist than an Assassin.

I don't understand people obsession with offhand swords. They look so clunky and unweildly

• 3 weeks later...

@Runiir.6425 said:

@"Kageseigi.2150" said:The only reason I'd really care about having a greatsword is to have access to

Come on, Anet... why not give the Thief a katana/ninjato skin? Even the
you gave us is
UPSIDE-DOWN!!!

Honestly, who is making these decisions??? They aren't difficult.

Not only that but you use Kama like you would an axe more than a dagger anyway. =/

Gotta admit, when Thief was still an unrevealed silhouette, I thought the silhouette might be carrying an axe...

There is definitely precedent for kama-like axes (the Elonian axe, for instance), to the point where given how GW2 treats daggers, axe might actually be a better way to implement the concept of kamas than what we currently have.

@Zacchary.6183 said:Daredevil, believe it or not, was meant to be the tank spec for the profession. Something that had enough sustain with evades that it could survive without stealth (think hybrid DB/caltrops spam with Signet of Malice and Invigorating Precision). But very few have used it as such because they think of it as Core+, keeping the profession in it's non-role position.

I run Daredevil like this on occasion. Does fairly well, although it is quite vulnerable to a well-timed spike in between evades (but having weaknesses is part of balance).

I would prefer an offhand sword because then you have dual-wielding sword thief that not only aesthetically pleasing, but also is within the design choice (things like blade dancers come to mind).

I suppose if you were to talk about gameplay it could be a more aggressive one where you have utilities to not only keeps the enemies within range but also for greater mobility at the cost of lesser range and damages overall.

Sword already has similar skills that fulfills most of what I described here, so to have it being off hand weapon that expands upon that would be great.

Oh and throw some more shadows and smokes while you're at it.

Edit: axe sounds interesting if you think about it. A shadowy serial killer that can teleport and go invisible.

@Ustaf.2953 said:

@Yasai.3549 said:Honestly all I want is dual swords on Thieves so I can stop looking at Revenant to fulfil my Double Sword Power Assassin fantasy.

I don't understand people obsession with offhand swords. They look so clunky and unweildly

Anime or Hollywood?

Besides, it's no surprise the majority never really liked Thief, they want shadow warriors. If it's going to turn out like rifle, then by all means, have their wish granted.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still hoping they stop introducing new elite specs, frankly. Every one they do creates more potentially busted interactions and increases the workload for the devs, I'd sooner they didn't deliberately increase their workload on balance when balance happens rather slowly at best, and funnelled that dev time into something more interesting.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:I'm still hoping they stop introducing new elite specs, frankly. Every one they do creates more potentially busted interactions and increases the workload for the devs, I'd sooner they didn't deliberately increase their workload on balance when balance happens rather slowly at best, and funnelled that dev time into something more interesting.

Eeexactly! E-Specs don't work and I am sad that Devs haven't seen this through until after-PoF.

Or had they? We will see on 30.08.

• 4 weeks later...