Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world

@Vieux P.1238 said:& i already told you. Both can coexist in the same world map with out affecting one game mode or the other. & can assure you, theirs as much if not more WvW & pvp' players combined that makes up more then half of the Gw2 community population. So your in the minority if you want to measure pve community to pvp'ers. .

PvP players were a minority even in GW1, where PvP scene was much stronger. In GW2 the gap has only gotten bigger. It's not a secret, it's something that was so obvious from the get go that it has been widely acknowledged even by PvP community. It's not surprising, of course, because that's a norm in pretty much any game that isn't solely/primarily PvP based.

So, forgive me if this is the point where i am going to start treating your arguments with a healthy dose of suspicion, because the only thing i can think of now is that you're either speaking about a different game, or trolling.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Why would PvP- or WvW-centric players want PvP in PvE maps? To decimate their population in PvP/WvW maps even more?Seems counter-productive.

Decimate population?!!!!! You would reunite all population into 1 roof. What are you talking about?Instead of splitting up population into 3 game modes, you would have 2. Open world pve & pvp on each of there specific relative zones. & Spvp maps.WvW as it's own instance don't work. Get rid of it. Have all WvW players fight it off in specific open world pvp zones for limited resources that spawns.& when special events like boss fights arise, you'l be surprise the number of players joining in just cuz there in the world map instead of WvW.

PVE zone or Quest zones would not be touch by pvp. Simple ..

So get rid of WvW and sPvP?

Will there be reward tracks for PvP in PvE that will take the place of the WvW and sPvP reward tracks? How would they be set up? Essentially kills only, right? Which means dueling and ganking.

What happens if there aren’t enough people who are interested in flagging for PvP? Wouldn’t that mean that the wannabe PvPers will need to message the people around them asking them to duel, which is exactly what PvE players don’t want.

Edit: if the PvP reward tracks in open world PvE are progressed by dueling and ganking how do you stop people from kill trading to progress their reward track?

Have all WvW players fight it off in specific open world pvp zones for limited resources that spawns.

Why can’t ANet make a new WvW map with limited resources that spawn instead of adding PvP to PvE?

For that matter, why can’t they copy a few PvE maps, add them to the mists and allow PvP there?

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Why would PvP- or WvW-centric players want PvP in PvE maps? To decimate their population in PvP/WvW maps even more?Seems counter-productive.

Decimate population?!!!!! You would reunite all population into 1 roof. What are you talking about?Instead of splitting up population into 3 game modes, you would have 2. Open world pve & pvp on each of there specific relative zones. & Spvp maps.WvW as it's own instance don't work. Get rid of it. Have all WvW players fight it off in specific open world pvp zones for limited resources that spawns.& when special events like boss fights arise, you'l be surprise the number of players joining in just cuz there in the world map instead of WvW.

Will there be reward tracks for PvP in PvE that will take the place of the WvW and sPvP reward tracks? How would they be set up? Essentially kills only, right? Which means dueling and ganking.

What happens if there aren’t enough people who are interested in flagging for PvP? Wouldn’t that mean that the wannabe PvPers will need to message the people around them asking them to duel, which is exactly what PvE players don’t want.

Edit: if the PvP reward tracks in open world PvE are progressed by dueling and ganking how do you stop people from kill trading to progress their reward track?

Have all WvW players fight it off in specific open world pvp zones for limited resources that spawns.

Why can’t ANet make a new WvW map with limited resources that spawn instead of adding PvP to PvE?

For that matter, why can’t they copy a few PvE maps, add them to the mists and allow PvP there?

What ever.. like open world will never happen any way. So why are you getting urself upset about? It will never happen!

@Vieux P.1238 said:

What ever.. like open world will never happen any way. So why are you getting urself upset about? It will never happen!

So... don’t debate or discuss the argument you brought up because even you realize what you argued for will never happen. So why did you bother to suggest something that you know won’t happen and that you don’t want to debate with anyone else?

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Give the players the option to attack or being attacked in the open world. Without this option activated the players can stay neutral and not being able to attack or get attacked in open world. This option will give more liveliness to the game... I mean in WoW works, so why not here. By putting the tick ON you are agreeing that you wont mind being attacked by any kind of player of any kind of lvl, class, build etc. With a simple tick in the character select menu you can decide which character can be aggressive and which normal/neutral.Yes, we have WvW and PvP, but those are zones that are just for fighting players and nothing more... the same old battlegrounds with no element of surprise where you can't go lvl up, kill some champion, world boss and being ganged at any point.We observed this kind of implementation in the game where from neutral you go attackable in the small arena in the PvP lobby, so we know the mechanic is there but used on a very small scale.Just think about the possibilities, dueling, GvG, bounty hunting players and many more on all kinds of terrain. Making creative combat videos with cool surroundings, using proper arenas and getting huge crowds to watch community driven tournaments while being save and bidding for the winner. The possibilities are limitless and in my opinion the devs can implement this in the game quite easy... I mean look what they've done with the stats change menu, it's f***ing gorgeous! One simple click on the character swap menu making you being able to fight with other players who clicked the same option and the open world, this game will never be the same again!

Not a good idea unless there are pvp arena's in the open world and pvp outside that arena is impossible. I played Lineage 2 for many, many years and i saw servers crumbling down because of beginners hunt. For most beginners the city of Dion was a real a problem where mostly adolescent high level playes were waiting for them in groups only to pvp them out of the game, just for the "god" feel. And in Linage 2, when becoming lvl 20, you need to be in Dion to progress in the game. If i look to my play style, i care for the looks of my characters, i spend time and money in them. They all have their own personality. See my play style as a digital larp. I do not spend all that time and money to die every 5 minutes, killed by one of 300% of my level.

That young loudmouths start to hunt unexperienced low level character is a matter of time. That the new "frist time in this game" players who ofter start out in the free game, wil not buy the game because of this is for me, a older guy playing mmorpg's longer than the most players are old, a proven fact. I have seen this so often in several Linage 2 servers, but also RF Online, Cabal and many others.

This game has a specialized pvp world for the pvp style players. Keep the open world for the people who want to hunt, craft, socialize, hunting bosses or doing quests.... Exactly this was the main reason why i started in this game. I can play my style of game undisturbed in a way that is fun for me.

I understand this is not fun for you, but this game have very good options for the pvp style player.

But: there is a other unspoken truth i have experienced in decades of playing games. I do NOT say it is you, but this kind of request are often, not always but often, coming from people who cant pvp very well, so they want a easy way to pvp. So they want pvp in a open world just to kill way lower level characters or people who have my style of playing, are totally not interested in the pvp part and because of that they don't have any experience with it. With that they are a easy victim. Only to make someone who is to afraid to enter pvp arena's feel like a god. Because in the pvp world of this game are the real deal guys they probably cant compete against. So they look for something easy.

This same years of experience, unfortunately, have learned me that open world pvp lead to less respect for other people's play style. Just because they can be killed, if they want it or not. This fact, again i do NOT say its you, will attract the loser guy who have to compensate their real life to feel like a hero. I know that every game has their own kind of people. So far, Guild Wars 2 is for me the (affordable) game with the most opportunities for my playing style. Maybe World of Warcraft suits you better.

I love to build the personalities of my characters, puzzeling, doing quests, follow the personal story line and ask others to help me every now and then or ask others to hunt a boss. And i want to do that undisturbed and in piece without running into high level "loser wannabe pvper" groups every other minute. And if i read around in this forum is see that i am not the only one who play the game this style and care for their characters. And those players spend a lot of real money and time in the game, so business wise, it would probably not the best step to do for the owners of Guild Wars 2.

Go to The Mists and pvp as much as you like it.

@jpsholland.2786 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Give the players the option to attack or being attacked in the open world. Without this option activated the players can stay neutral and not being able to attack or get attacked in open world. This option will give more liveliness to the game... I mean in WoW works, so why not here. By putting the tick ON you are agreeing that you wont mind being attacked by any kind of player of any kind of lvl, class, build etc. With a simple tick in the character select menu you can decide which character can be aggressive and which normal/neutral.Yes, we have WvW and PvP, but those are zones that are just for fighting players and nothing more... the same old battlegrounds with no element of surprise where you can't go lvl up, kill some champion, world boss and being ganged at any point.We observed this kind of implementation in the game where from neutral you go attackable in the small arena in the PvP lobby, so we know the mechanic is there but used on a very small scale.Just think about the possibilities, dueling, GvG, bounty hunting players and many more on all kinds of terrain. Making creative combat videos with cool surroundings, using proper arenas and getting huge crowds to watch community driven tournaments while being save and bidding for the winner. The possibilities are limitless and in my opinion the devs can implement this in the game quite easy... I mean look what they've done with the stats change menu, it's f***ing gorgeous! One simple click on the character swap menu making you being able to fight with other players who clicked the same option and the open world, this game will never be the same again!

Not a good idea unless there are pvp arena's in the open world and pvp outside that arena is impossible. I played Lineage 2 for many, many years and i saw servers crumbling down because of beginners hunt. For most beginners the city of Dion was a real a problem where mostly adolescent high level playes were waiting for them in groups only to pvp them out of the game, just for the "god" feel. And in Linage 2, when becoming lvl 20, you need to be in Dion to progress in the game. If i look to my play style, i care for the looks of my characters, i spend time and money in them. They all have their own personality. See my play style as a digital larp. I do not spend all that time and money to die every 5 minutes, killed by one of 300% of my level.

That young loudmouths start to hunt unexperienced low level character is a matter of time. That the new "frist time in this game" players who ofter start out in the free game, wil not buy the game because of this is for me, a older guy playing mmorpg's longer than the most players are old, a proven fact. I have seen this so often in several Linage 2 servers, but also RF Online, Cabal and many others.

This game has a specialized pvp world for the pvp style players. Keep the open world for the people who want to hunt, craft, socialize, hunting bosses or doing quests.... Exactly this was the main reason why i started in this game. I can play my style of game undisturbed in a way that is fun for me.

I understand this is not fun for you, but this game have very good options for the pvp style player.

But: there is a other unspoken truth i have experienced in decades of playing games. I do NOT say it is you, but this kind of request are often, not always but often, coming from people who cant pvp very well, so they want a easy way to pvp. So they want pvp in a open world just to kill way lower level characters or people who have my style of playing, are totally not interested in the pvp part and because of that they don't have any experience with it. With that they are a easy victim. Only to make someone who is to afraid to enter pvp arena's feel like a god. Because in the pvp world of this game are the real deal guys they probably cant compete against. So they look for something easy.

This same years of experience, unfortunately, have learned me that open world pvp lead to less respect for other people's play style. Just because they can be killed, if they want it or not. This fact, again i do NOT say its you, will attract the loser guy who have to compensate their real life to feel like a hero. I know that every game has their own kind of people. So far, Guild Wars 2 is for me the (affordable) game with the most opportunities for my playing style. Maybe World of Warcraft suits you better.

I love to build the personalities of my characters, puzzeling, doing quests, follow the personal story line and ask others to help me every now and then or ask others to hunt a boss. And i want to do that undisturbed and in piece without running into high level "loser wannabe pvper" groups every other minute. And if i read around in this forum is see that i am not the only one who play the game this style and care for their characters. And those players spend a lot of real money and time in the game, so business wise, it would probably not the best step to do for the owners of Guild Wars 2.

Your whole comment is just empty words at this point because of the simple fact that I did not suggest what you've just explained. You can go back and read a bit more what I suggested truly. And all of you... stop being afraid of the unknown because of previous experiences with other games.

1. I do not suggest TRUE open world PvP like in WoW, Lineage II, Aion or whatever all of you think I suggested. I suggest option to enable open world PvP for the people who seek open world PvP only and only in the time they want to encounter it ---> IT'S AN OPTION THAT CAN BE ENABLED/DISABLED WHEN YOU WANT <---
  2. If I was seeking TRUE open world PVP I wouldn't play GW2 and was going to play the given examples above.
  3. No, I don't want TRUE open world PvP because if Anet make it non-optional in PvE I would probably quit the game because I'm too casual and don't want someone to gank me when I do not seek to be ganked.
  4. Stop explaining all of you how bad was your experience while you were beginners in some other game... what do you want from this? For all of us to feel sorry for you ? Your argument with previous games isn't relative to this game because this game is different. GW2 is not your normal MMO like every other MMOs... Anet is doing things differently here... My idea is something new and fresh to make the old content feel like new and interesting and have no idea why you people don't agree with it just because you are afraid of changes.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Your whole comment is just empty words at this point because of the simple fact that I did not suggest what you've just explained. You can go back and read a bit more what I suggested truly. And all of you... stop being afraid of the unknown because of previous experiences with other games.
  1. I do not suggest TRUE open world PvP like in WoW, Lineage II, Aion or whatever all of you think I suggested. I suggest option to enable open world PvP for the people who seek open world PvP only and only in the time they want to encounter it ---> IT'S AN OPTION THAT CAN BE ENABLED/DISABLED WHEN YOU WANT <---
  2. If I was seeking TRUE open world PVP I wouldn't play GW2 and was going to play the given examples above.
  3. No, I don't want TRUE open world PvP because if Anet make it non-optional in PvE I would probably quit the game because I'm too casual and don't want someone to gank me when I do not seek to be ganked.
  4. Stop explaining all of you how bad was your experience while you were beginners in some other game... what do you want from this? For all of us to feel sorry for you ? Your argument with previous games isn't relative to this game because this game is different. GW2 is not your normal MMO like every other MMOs... Anet is doing things differently here... My idea is something new and fresh to make the old content feel like new and interesting and have no idea why you people don't agree with it just because you are afraid of changes.

So you haven't read this tread then?Quite a few people explained why it would be bad even with an opt out option.

The new player argument stays valid, because if they accidentally put it on and get killed they will likely not spend time to figure out that their is an option to put of. And they will leave the game because of it.

@yann.1946 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

So you haven't read this tread then?Quite a few people explained why it would be bad even with an opt out option.

The new player argument stays valid, because if they accidentally put it on and get killed they will likely not spend time to figure out that their is an option to put of. And they will leave the game because of it.

How big the button must be for you in the character menu to see it ?

Are you new to gw2?

The devs said no, that it would take “a prohibitive amount of work”.

Go to wvw and spvp.

Read...

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:No, this game was marketed and sold as having separate PvE and PvP areas. All who have bought the game bought it with that understanding. You’d lose far more people than you’d gain by putting PvP in the PvE maps.

In addition, they said it’s never going to happen.

“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

@Swagger.1459 said:

Are you new to gw2?

Go to wvw and spvp.I am not new to GW2. Main character --> "Created Aug 25, 2012 09:59 7 years old", "Played for 8,186 hours".The devs said they won't add mounts to the game aswell in 2012-2013, look at us now.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:How big the button must be for you in the character menu to see it ?I think the "PvP" / "WvW" buttons on the top are just fine. This is "opt in". Pretty foolproof, too.

Seriously, I am all for new WvW maps. Copies of PvE maps adjusted for WvW could also be cool. But PK in PvE does not make any sense for this game.Even for WvW there is some lore that justifies why we're competing there. How do you justify PK in PvE lorewise? Race wars all of a sudden? Remember, all PCs are "the" Pact Commander, we can't be inquest etc.

The answer of far most people in NO. When are you going to accept this?

Maybe Guild wars 2 is not "your game". There is nothing wrong with that. I have been in so many games just to discover it is not my type of game. Then i thank the people who have played with me and helped me out, and leave the game. There is nothing wrong with that. Thats why there are that much games in the world.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Are you new to gw2?

Go to wvw and spvp.I am not new to GW2. Main character --> "Created Aug 25, 2012 09:59 7 years old", "Played for 8,186 hours".The devs said they won't add mounts to the game aswell in 2012-2013, look at us now.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:No, this game was marketed and sold as having separate PvE and PvP areas. All who have bought the game bought it with that understanding. You’d lose far more people than you’d gain by putting PvP in the PvE maps.

“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

For emphasis...

@"jpsholland.2786" said:The answer of far most people in NO. When are you going to accept this?

Maybe Guild wars 2 is not "your game". There is nothing wrong with that. I have been in so many games just to discover it is not my type of game. Then i thank the people who have played with me and helped me out, and leave the game. There is nothing wrong with that. Thats why there are that much games in the world.

Leave me think of is Guild Wars 2 my game or not as I don't argue with your decision to play it, thank you very much. ;)

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Are you new to gw2?

For emphasis...

And I got that, and I respect that. Also the game promised many things at the beggining, like more dungeons for example, and many things were cut others were added/changed.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Are you new to gw2?

For emphasis...

And I got that, and I respect that. Also the game promised many things at the beggining, like more dungeons for example, and many things were cut others were added/changed.

That’s right, things change, but you’re not getting owpvp in pve... use wvw and start spvp if you pvp in gw2.

Remember...

“prohibitive amount of work” to code in owpvp...

“pro·hib·i·tive/prəˈhibədiv,prōˈhibədiv/Learn to pronounceadjective1.(of a law or rule) forbidding or restricting something."prohibitive legislation"synonyms: proscriptive, prohibitory, restrictive, suppressive, repressive, restraining, inhibitory"prohibitive regulations"2.(of a price or charge) excessively high; difficult or impossible to pay."the costs involved were prohibitive"synonyms: excessively high, extortionate, excessive, exorbitant, sky-high, preposterous, outrageous, scandalous, out of the question, beyond one's means, more than one can afford, unreasonable, impossible, overinflated; More”

great idea, wont work gw2 community is too casual for this to work

@Swagger.1459 said:@"Gopaka.7839"

“I am not new to GW2. Main character --> "Created Aug 25, 2012 09:59 7 years old", "Played for 8,186 hours".”

And what is your wvw rank? Player Kill count?There you go@"Gopaka.7839" said:I don't know why all of you people assume that I am a PvP player because I'm suggesting an idea. I have 33k AP and my account value is around 128k gold. My rank in PvP is shark and my WvW rank is below 500. I don't know if I'll enjoy open world PvP, I'll observe it because of curiosity that's for sure, but will I participate in it? Maybe? From time to time? I'm just sure many bored players would gather and fight without waiting 5-10 mins for matching up, then decide which map to choose, then protect or attack a small circle an if they don't like the match... they can't quit because of penalties. In WvW on the other hand... You have 1 waypont and your enemy have 1 waypoint... good luck fighting over and over again with each other...

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@Swagger.1459 said:@"Gopaka.7839"

“I am not new to GW2. Main character --> "Created Aug 25, 2012 09:59 7 years old", "Played for 8,186 hours".”

And what is your wvw rank? Player Kill count?There you go@"Gopaka.7839" said:I don't know why all of you people assume that I am a PvP player because I'm suggesting an idea. I have 33k AP and my account value is around 128k gold. My rank in PvP is shark and my WvW rank is below 500. I don't know if I'll enjoy open world PvP, I'll observe it because of curiosity that's for sure, but will I participate in it? Maybe? From time to time? I'm just sure many bored players would gather and fight without waiting 5-10 mins for matching up, then decide which map to choose, then protect or attack a small circle an if they don't like the match... they can't quit because of penalties. In WvW on the other hand... You have 1 waypont and your enemy have 1 waypoint... good luck fighting over and over again with each other...

Ty!

Since it’s been established that your suggestion isn’t feasible for the devs to do, should we expect you to participate more in wvw?

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Are you new to gw2?

Umm...the Devs never stated that. What they said was that the game would not launch with Mounts.