ERP 3 Hype!

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:Im sorry but watching people raid in this game is so boring. Not even the enthusiasm of the host can help that. 1000 views, yeah that just proves it. Not hype just misery.

It had a few thousand views. Already more than all pvp tournaments.

Not really, the most a PvP tourney had was 15k.

Was that the Anet organiyed one, that had Ads of it everywhere or a community one?

It was an Anet one, one of several, some had "ads". The point remains, yesterday's viewership was not larger than all PvP tournies as you claimed, several PvP tournies had more viewers than yesterday, the largest at 15k.

Beyond that 5k or even 15k doesn't mean much in Twitch terms, the reality is MMORPGs (be it PvE or PvP) are generally regarded as dull to watch, which is why they have the viewing figures they do.

@zinkz.7045 said:

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:Im sorry but watching people raid in this game is so boring. Not even the enthusiasm of the host can help that. 1000 views, yeah that just proves it. Not hype just misery.

It had a few thousand views. Already more than all pvp tournaments.

Not really, the most a PvP tourney had was 15k.

Well the finals are pulling in 16.7k atm. I hope this is a wake up call for Arenanet.

@"zinkz.7045" said:

It was an Anet one, one of several, some had "ads". The point remains, yesterday's viewership was not larger than all PvP tournies as you claimed, several PvP tournies had more viewers than yesterday, the largest at 15k.

16.5k already and rising. So more than the largest pvp tourny while it was completely community driven.GW pvp is just not enjoyable to watch. It isn't straight forward like wow's arena pvp. Lots of stuff going on and hard to follow.

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@"zinkz.7045" said:

16.5k already and rising. So more than the largest pvp tourny while it was completely community driven.GW pvp is just not enjoyable to watch. It isn't straight forward like wow's arena pvp. Lots of stuff going on and hard to follow.

LOL, neither PvP or PvE in GW2 are enjoyable to watch 5k, 15k or 16k, these are low numbers by Twitch standards for "big" events, single streamers get more than that for normal streams in other games, let alone comparable events in e-sports games. (And no WoW arena isn't any good either, which is why it also failed as an esport, turns out running around columns was not that interesting)

And "16k" (we'll just ignore the sad cases who were asking people in various discords to pull little tricks to up the view count) today does not change that your claim about yesterday was incorrect. ;)

@zinkz.7045 said:

LOL, neither PvP or PvE in GW2 are enjoyable to watch 5k, 15k or 16k, these are low numbers by Twitch standards for "big" events, single streamers get more than that for normal streams in other games, let alone comparable events in e-sports games. (And no WoW arena isn't any good either, which is why it also failed as an esport, turns out running around columns was not that interesting)

And 16k today does not change that your claim about yesterday was incorrect. ;)

I had fun watching it. shrug

@zinkz.7045 Seriously, nobody likes a debbie downer. But that aside, idk, if you are only watching twitch for the games then Im really sorry for you. The game being played is only at the most 50% of the fun. Especially if you yourself play the game more than totally casually.I enjoyed watching GW2 streamers, and I will continue to do. Be it Angeels, Roy, Xeb, Plenyx, Mela, Reddiche or AngryZorric.

The ERP3 was absolutely insanely HUGE. Everyone that missed it, missed the biggest event in the history of GW2.

@vyncius.6105 said:

@"Bigsexy.8302" said:Viewbots lol

Basically. The first day of ERP had around 4k viewers.

watch vods, check chat spam. Its not view bots, these actual people

I doubt that you could take any significant conclusion about viewer bot numbers from chat spam. Every streamer with 1k viewers but without "follower chat only" has such spam. This is why they usually activate this function because for a daily streaming this spam is disgusting.

Overall it really doesn't matter if there were viewer bots or not. This was a single event and it was successful. We all know that daily/weekly raiding does not pull that many viewers on Twitch. Teapot with his 300-400 viewers always was the top raid streamer but nothing more. Events like the ERP always will pull higher numbers but it also depends on their frequency. Even a monthly tournament wouldn't be interesting any longer so those 16-17k stand on their own. They are exceptional. Exceptional but never the rule.And let's be honest reading things in the chat like "I hope Anet will wake up now." made me laugh hard. It's already over. We are 7 years in the game and not even a radical shift in philosophy (pushing towards raiding) would improve the whole situation significantly.

@Vinceman.4572 said:

I doubt that you could take any significant conclusion about viewer numbers from chat spam. Every streamer with 1k viewers but without "follower chat only" has such spam. This is why they usually activate this function because for a daily streaming this spam is disgusting.

On the second day? 1k or 2k streamers have much slower chats than that.

@zealex.9410 said:

I doubt that you could take any significant conclusion about viewer numbers from chat spam. Every streamer with 1k viewers but without "follower chat only" has such spam. This is why they usually activate this function because for a daily streaming this spam is disgusting.

On the second day? 1k or 2k streamers have much slower chats than that.

Depends on the streamer. There are several with 1-2k where chat is so quiet you wouldn't even think that there are more than 10 viewers present. But the usual 1k+ streamer has a very active chat. Plus don't forget yesterday people were spamming memes and long caps lock texts all day/night long. And yeah, it's a fundamental thing of Teapot's stream anyways, almost no moderation and almost everything's allowed to post.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:Im sorry but watching people raid in this game is so boring. Not even the enthusiasm of the host can help that. 1000 views, yeah that just proves it. Not hype just misery.

It had a few thousand views. Already more than all pvp tournaments.It's still just a drop in the ocean. The very fact that it is considered to have a big viewing at those numbers speaks volumes.

Interesting, FF14 and ESO had 3k views on Twitch yesterday, was that also a drop in the ocean? Both dead games maybe.Also, FF14 had 18k concurrent users on Steam yesterday, almost as many as the 17k watching that stream. I'd hazard a guess that Guild Wars 2 itself had much less active players than those watching the Stream, judging by how much more popular FF14 is.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

It had a few thousand views. Already more than all pvp tournaments.It's still just a drop in the ocean. The very fact that it is considered to have a big viewing at those numbers speaks volumes.

Interesting, FF14 and ESO had 3k views on Twitch yesterday, was that also a drop in the ocean? Both dead games maybe.More like twitch is not very important for the communities of those games.

Also, FF14 had 18k concurrent users on Steam yesterday, almost as many as the 17k watching that stream.Steam FF XIV client has some problems, so it is advisable to use the direct client version, not the steam one. And it's likely what most people do (that's even without considering the console players, of course). Steam isn't (and never was) the main distribution platform for FF XIV.

I'd hazard a guess that Guild Wars 2 itself had much less active players than those watching the Stream, judging by how much more popular FF14 is.As mentioned above, Steam numbers tell us next to nothing about the actual FF XIV population. That's a common problem with games that are distributed primarily outside that platform.

@Astralporing.1957 said:More like twitch is not very important for the communities of those games.

When they do events, and they do often, at least compared to GW2, they reach higher than 17k in numbers.

Steam FF XIV client has some problems, so it is advisable to use the direct client version, not the steam one. And it's likely what most people do (that's even without considering the console players, of course). Steam isn't (and never was) the main distribution platform for FF XIV.

The Elder Scrolls online is at 13k. The top 25 games on steam list ends at 16k. The stream still had 17k, more than some of the most popular steam games. You might want to twist and turn it, but 17k viewers is a significant number.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:More like twitch is not very important for the communities of those games.

When they do events, and they do often, at least compared to GW2, they reach higher than 17k in numbers.

Steam FF XIV client has some problems, so it is advisable to use the direct client version, not the steam one. And it's likely what most people do (that's even without considering the console players, of course). Steam isn't (and never was) the main distribution platform for FF XIV.

The Elder Scrolls online is at 13k. The top 25 games on steam list ends at 16k. The stream still had 17k, more than some of the most popular steam games. You might want to twist and turn it, but 17k viewers is a significant number.FF XIV has a login cap of 5k per world. There are 68 worlds (32 in JPN datacenter, , 24 in NA, 12 in EU), 20 of whose are marked as Congested. While not all of them are capped at peak hours, many of them (including Cerberus, on which i play) routinely are. Even if the queues are not significant, it still means that at least on peak hours there are multiple (way more than just 2-3) worlds with 5k concurrent logins. And while, as i said, not all worlds are equally populated, even the small ones stilll generate significant numbers of concurrent players.

as for other stats, see here:https://mmo-population.com/r/ffxivIt is estimated, not official(and i don't know how the methodology behind it) but it should not be far off, as it's quite close to other estimates i have seen, that used stats on certain kinds of achievements to guess the population.

As you can see, Steam numbers are only a small fraction of it.

17k is at best ~1.5% of the active population for FF XIV. It is probably higher for GW2, but i definitely hope even here it would still be at best in single digits. If not, then the game is indeed in deep trouble.

@"Astralporing.1957" said:FF XIV has a login cap of 5k per world. There are 68 worlds (32 in JPN datacenter, , 24 in NA, 12 in EU). While not all of them are capped at peak hours, many of them (including Cerberus, on which i play) routinely are. The queues are not significant (at most 5-10 minutes wait for me, although Cerberus is not the most populated world, so some people probably have it worse) now that some time after Shadowbringers has passed and the population had a time to spread across newly introduced worlds, but when they happen, they mean that the abovementioned cap on concurrent logins (5k) has indeed been reached. And the queues happen on way more than just 2-3 worlds.

as for stats, see here:https://mmo-population.com/r/ffxivIt is estimated, not official(and i don't know how the methodology behind it) but it should not be far off, as it's quite close to other estimates i have seen, that used stats on certain kinds of achievements to guess the population.

As you can see, Steam numbers are a small fraction of it.

17k is at best ~1.5% of the active population for FF XIV. It is probably higher for GW2, but i definitely hope even here it would still be at best in single digits. If not, then the game is indeed in deep trouble.

Too bad clicking on Guild Wars 2 gives an error. Maybe something happened recently that confused their algorithm

I don't doubt that FF14 has way more than 17k players. But the thing is you cannot compare those 17k viewers with the active population of a game, because the active population, even the daily one, will be much higher than any given average at some time. Steam gives current users and then averages for a month, mmo-population gives players per day, those aren't really the same metric. But in any way it appears that FFXIV is way too popular in Japan and it has a very healthy population, good for that game I guess.

Fun fact given your numbers, 5k cap for the 68 worlds, it looks like the FFXIV server structure wouldn't handle the Guild Wars 2 launch as it peaked at 400k

@maddoctor.2738 said:Fun fact given your numbers, 5k cap for the 68 worlds, it looks like the FFXIV server structure wouldn't handle the Guild Wars 2 launch as it peaked at 400kProbably. The Shadowbringers launch had queues that could last for an hour, and server capacity is a constant problem for FF XIV (and something they continue to work on - unfortunately a lot of it is an artifact of 1.0 that got carried over in order to minimize the cost and effort of 2.0 rework, and getting rid of it apparently isn't easy).Notice: The cap info is from around the 2.0 time launch. It is possible they have increased it since, although i haven't found any newer info on that.