After 20 years, I'm up to LS4 ch. 5

Razor.6392

Spoilers for the ending of "The crystal dragon"

I already played the first mission of chapter 6 where it turns out haha everything's good again (only played the beginning out of curiosity before work so if X dies again then lol) but still, this final battle bothered me.

This awful, last minute plan with "oh sonic amplifiers from dredge! that will work for sure... right?" actually works, of course it does. Kralk is losing energy, yeah yeah pour it on go go go hit them hard while the dragon is stunned and everyone else stopped attacking with the spears for some reason and the whole building doesn't collapse either!

WE'RE DOING IT! AHHHHHHH battle cry WOOOOO

We're winning

Until we aren't.

Without a single hint, without a single explanation, the dragon decided to lift its head and blast us away. Is it really that simple? This can hardly be considered a plot twist.

This bothered me greatly for some reason. It just seemed lazy, more so than every other forgivable aspect previously mentioned. Do everything right and still lose. I realize hinting something might go wrong also foreshadows a potential failure (something that the writers really avoided and it's understandable) but was this really the right way to do it? I'm sure there were subtle ways to do it like a dialogue indicating the commander not being fully in sync with aurene, or maybe a blue butterfly (lol), or a report while you're fighting that all the zephyrites are dying one by one for no reason, or some mist portal with a voice, idk.

Anyone else agree?

It's very contrived. You could basically skip from just before that moment in episode 5 to the part of episode 6 where you decide to pursue Kralky into the Mists without losing anything except DRAMA.

But DRAMA is important. Especially in a super compressed, episodic story-telling medium like the Living World seasons.

While I have mixed feelings about the storytelling during S4, we didn't in fact do everything right. I believe it was explained in the episode that the spears we used were made of branded and not Kralkatorrik's own blood, therefore making them less powerful. Not sure if this helps but it does help to explain why Kralkatorrik wasn't killed during the fight.

@xoz.2481 said:While I have mixed feelings about the storytelling during S4, we didn't in fact do everything right. I believe it was explained in the episode that the spears we used were made of branded and not Kralkatorrik's own blood, therefore making them less powerful. Not sure if this helps but it does help to explain why Kralkatorrik wasn't killed during the fight.

The dragonblood spears used at Thunderhead Keep were indeed made from branded crystals, thus being weaker against Kralkatorrik. Against branded they worked pretty well.

@"Razor.6392" said:This awful, last minute plan with "oh sonic amplifiers from dredge! that will work for sure... right?" actually works, of course it does. Kralk is losing energy, yeah yeah pour it on go go go hit them hard while the dragon is stunned and everyone else stopped attacking with the spears for some reason and the whole building doesn't collapse either!Without a single hint, without a single explanation, the dragon decided to lift its head and blast us away. Is it really that simple? This can hardly be considered a plot twist.

They stopped attacking because by that point most of the ballista emplacements were destroyed (by Kralk slamming into them) or overrun by branded. The last major emplacement was totally branded, with the previous ones being crushed by his neck/collapsing rubble.

The spears were doing some damage, but outside of the weak-points, they weren't able to truly pierce his hide. IIRC, when you finish attacking his eye he does a slam that knocks your character down (Or his head falls down and does it) leading into the cutscene. It's a brief stun that Kralkatorrik recovered from by the time Aurene and the commander recovered and were ready to strike.

This is just like any movie or game where the hero (or villain) gets beat up, falls and seems to be out of the fight for a brief moment before getting back up.