Dragon's Stand Dead Map

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen it done in EU recently, I cant argue for it being done "often", but it still is done. It's possible the current Champion rush is draining some players away. While it is a good meta, the champion rushing literally rewards more by sheer volume at the moment. The only reason to do those metas is if you need a specific drop from it

@"Stu Grockalot.2937" said:Something needs to be done about Dragon's Stand.At release of HoT this was an amazing map, the meta was fantastic, and I enjoyed the big push to take down Mordremoth.Now a days the map ALWAYS seems empty, the meta never progresses and large areas of the map are un-explorable.Something needs to be done to fix it :(

No worries. Zone is not dead... for now. Anet is having statistics how many players are on which zone. When they see the zone not being used... they'll simply put some cool looking shiny infusion with low drop rate just like in AB, TD, CO. The pure reason they haven't added it still is because the zone isn't empty...YET. AB for example has the Vial of Liquid Aurillium which was added before...1, 2 years I think? I'm thinking the infusion from the DS meta will be this one -->

@Stu Grockalot.2937 said:I've sat here and waited for ages, I've tried just before the meta, during the meta, nothing.Wouldn't mind just trying to get 100% exploration on an alt character :/

I've completed Dragon Stand on 20 characters so far, most recently about 3 weeks ago. It's not hard. Find a timer site. Show up 10 minutes early. Get into a group as soon as someone tags. Make sure you join them in their squad when the map closes and you're all shunted to a new map. Prosper.

I've seen posts of Dragon Stand being dead even when Dragon Stand was fairly new because players don't know how to use a timer site and the looking for group too. This is not a player failure, it's a failure of the game to teach it's own mechanics.

Again a thread about not being able to use or properly use the LFG system. Also having to rely on outside resources for timers is inefficient for a majority of players.

Time to repost an idea from 2018: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8p2fsc/ingame_content_guide_ui_mockup/The sample UI Limonium made: https://imgur.com/a/enHhdnA

This would go a long way in helping players to gather for events and at the right time.

I randomly walked in yesterday and the meta event was done. Yes, it was only this map and yes, I didn't go automatically to oveflow, so there's significantly fewer active maps around.

But understand this: there are much more newer content with popular meta events like Dragonfall or Thunderhead Peaks. Also there is the champ farm event going on. Also it's summer and yes, probably fewer players.

Dragon Stand needs to be freed from its timer, or we're going to keep seeing Dead Game/Zone comments like this. It confuses and frustrates players.Best approach, don't start the timer until the meta has enough people to start. Bam, that's it.No more of this "join-squad, spam Join In, repeat, finally get in, DIE, pray, more spam Join In" nonsense. It's severely unintuitive, and Dragonfall handles the experience much better overall.

@"Rauderi.8706" said:Dragon Stand needs to be freed from its timer, or we're going to keep seeing Dead Game/Zone comments like this. It confuses and frustrates players.Best approach, don't start the timer until the meta has enough people to start. Bam, that's it.No more of this "join-squad, spam Join In, repeat, finally get in, DIE, pray, more spam Join In" nonsense. It's severely unintuitive, and Dragonfall handles the experience much better overall.

Removing the timer would make things worse as it would be the same as it is now except that you wouldn’t know when to go to start the meta.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Rauderi.8706" said:Dragon Stand needs to be freed from its timer, or we're going to keep seeing Dead Game/Zone comments like this. It confuses and frustrates players.Best approach, don't start the timer until the meta has enough people to start. Bam, that's it.No more of this "join-squad, spam Join In, repeat, finally get in, DIE, pray, more spam Join In" nonsense. It's severely unintuitive, and Dragonfall handles the experience much better overall.

Removing the timer would make things worse as it would be the same as it is now except that you wouldn’t know when to go to start the meta.

No.

Instead of "the meta starts at 9:30", you get "the meta starts when enough people are able to meet the map conditions". It's closer to Silverwastes at that point, except Silverwastes gives players something to do while they wait. Which is another way for Dragon Stand to improve, honestly. Hold smaller combat events with a Noxious Pod reward for succeeding at a hold-out event before the map cycle starts. Bam. Something to do while waiting for other players to show up and do the map meta.Keep the existing maps closed past a certain point so players are forced into new map shards, and they'll all end up there eventually to start the meta.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@Rauderi.8706 said:Dragon Stand needs to be freed from its timer, or we're going to keep seeing Dead Game/Zone comments like this. It confuses and frustrates players.Best approach, don't start the timer until the meta has enough people to start. Bam, that's it.No more of this "join-squad, spam Join In, repeat, finally get in, DIE, pray, more spam Join In" nonsense. It's severely unintuitive, and Dragonfall handles the experience much better overall.

No.

Instead of "the meta starts at 9:30", you get "the meta starts when enough people are able to meet the map conditions". It's closer to Silverwastes at that point, except Silverwastes gives players something to
do
while they wait. Which is another way for Dragon Stand to improve, honestly. Hold smaller combat events with a Noxious Pod reward for succeeding at a hold-out event before the map cycle starts. Bam. Something to do while waiting for other players to show up and do the map meta.Keep the existing maps closed past a certain point so players are forced into new map shards, and they'll all end up there eventually to start the meta.

But if the map fills up you’re stuck on a “dead” map. The issue the OP is having is that there’s not anyone on the map when they hop onto it.

I did what you’re suggesting in SW and it was a pain to do it solo.

EDIT:

It takes around 75-90 minutes to complete the meta depending on the competency of the group. This doesn’t include the time it takes to do TM and do pods. You can expect to wait upwards to this long if you arrived as the map instance filled up.

You can also wait as people trickle into the newer map instance except how likely are players to stay? It’ll also be more difficult as you won’t have many players to do all three lanes simultaneously. There may also be players who simply wait for the map progression to progress enough to be worth there time.

The benefits of having the map on a timer is that you know when it always begins and it consolidates players into map instance(s) rather than having them hop onto the map over time.

TBH, Silverwastes is a bad example. When it was extremely popular, people would just hop to the more progressed map. You may remember how maps tended to not fill up until the bar was close to 90%.

You have at least one group (well three groups to be exact) that complete the event at pretty much every reset in normal hours. I would recommend that you show up and join the meta instance about 15 minutes earlier because the map tends to get full (use lfg obviously). If you join the groups and you get booted to a different instance after the reset don't give up. The massive join instance spam right after the reset prevent the people to get in. Sometimes you will get in the instance a few minutes later.

In prime times usually there is enough people to fill 2 maps.

So no, DS is far from dead.

Set time for a meta like DS is much better. Yes you need to go with the schedule but this way all the people know when to come and they actually do come in enough numbers all at once. Can't compare with SW, you need much more people on the map at the same time to do it. SW you need like 15 people to do everything, even less for everything but WW.

p.s. Only now noticed you are US. I was referring to EU server.

map currently active. ... well the meta is running but we are not even enough to fill a single lane. i did no belive this but op is right : map is dead at least at late evening run .

suppose in prime time there will be someone doing but compared to how u could run the meta everytime now is dead

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:You can also wait as people trickle into the newer map instance except how likely are players to stay?

Read, then respond. I already said "introduce new events to promote players staying on the map". So I'll say it again.While waiting for players to populate the camps, have defense events at the gates. Low-consequence stuff as busy-work so players have something to do on the map and get the chance at a unique map reward. Since, besides story, the main reason to be there is crystalline ore, have successful events leave a single noxious pod behind. Now there is incentive to keep a player around long enough for others to show up.tl;dr - unique reward make players show up

The benefits of having the map on a timer is that you know when it always begins and it consolidates players into map instance(s) rather than having them hop onto the map over time.

Dragon Stand's process is completely player-unfriendly. Full stop. Don't justify it just because it's "predictable." It's bad, but since it's old, the odds of it getting fixed are pathetically low. The pivotal point in HoT's open world, and it's in a completely garbage state. Having this nonsense of the One Sacred Map is just going to confuse and frustrate new players who haven't learned to game GW2's awful instancing system.It's also a 2-hour timer. Severely inconvenient. In a similar amount of time, I could easily have plodded about Silverwaste until it became a meta map, done Vinewrath, and been on my way.

TBH, Silverwastes is a bad example. When it was extremely popular, people would just hop to the more progressed map. You may remember how maps tended to not fill up until the bar was close to 90%.

That's why Dragon Stand should be locked after it progresses past the first camps. Bam, done. New map opens and cycle continues with players filtering in. It's like ANet could, in theory, learn from mis-steps in previous design and even go back to fix them.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:You can also wait as people trickle into the newer map instance except how likely are players to stay?

Read, then respond. I already said "introduce new events to promote players staying on the map". So I'll say it again.While waiting for players to populate the camps, have defense events at the gates. Low-consequence stuff as busy-work so players have
something
to do on the map and get the chance at a unique map reward. Since, besides story, the main reason to be there is crystalline ore, have successful events leave a single noxious pod behind. Now there is incentive to keep a player around long enough for others to show up.tl;dr - unique reward make players show up

Defense events will not work as players are there to progress the meta. Doing endless defense events while waiting upwards to ~75 minutes will not change anything. They’ll soon be events that get ignored.

It also takes like five players to do the lane events as the scaling isn’t all that bad until you hit the towers. Certainly players could do that instead or never ending defense events?

There are also plenty of noxious pods that spawn on the maps which players can obtain while they wait.

Dragon Stand's process is completely player-unfriendly. Full stop. Don't justify it just because it's "predictable." It's bad, but since it's old, the odds of it getting fixed are pathetically low. The pivotal point in HoT's open world, and it's in a completely garbage state. Having this nonsense of the One Sacred Map is just going to confuse and frustrate new players who haven't learned to game GW2's awful instancing system.It's also a 2-hour timer. Severely inconvenient. In a similar amount of time, I could easily have plodded about Silverwaste until it became a meta map, done Vinewrath, and been on my way.

It’s player friendly as it groups players together at a single point in time ensuring a high probability of success. You need to realize that this map is strictly a meta map; it really has no other purpose. It’s also friendly to players as they know when the meta begins so they don’t have to waste their time trying to find a map.

Removing the timer would cause it to be unknown when a new meta is going to begin. If there’s only ever one map instance doing it, and it’s full, this forces players to wait or have to slowly progress their map instance. This wastes players’ limited Time and I wouldn’t call this friendly.

That's why Dragon Stand should be locked after it progresses past the first camps. Bam, done. New map opens and cycle continues with players filtering in. It's like ANet could, in theory, learn from mis-steps in previous design and even go back to fix them.

First camps get completed within 10 minutes of the meta starting. That’s also really no different than how it is now with the map instance(s) quickly filling up leaving “dead” maps. Your suggestion is also extremely unfriendly to those players with connection issues as it greatly increases the odds that they miss the entire meta.

The best option to do the meta when you’re on a “dead” map is to tag up and/or get others to tag up. Post in the LFG to get players into that map instance. If you can’t get enough by doing this, any suggestion you mentioned will not have any impact either.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Defense events will not work as players are there to progress the meta. Doing endless defense events while waiting upwards to ~75 minutes will not change anything. They’ll soon be events that get ignored.

The point is there is no wait because the map isn't bound to a stupid timer. And they wouldn't get ignored, because there are players who would need the currency for whatever reason. And other players would be forced into the map as they log into it.

It also takes like five players to do the lane events as the scaling isn’t all that bad until you hit the towers. Certainly players could do that instead or never ending defense events?

That requires players show up to the map to do them. Lanes won't start until fifteen players are on the map and organized. Which won't even start to happen if the timer has already started winding down. The fixed timer is the problem.

There are also plenty of noxious pods that spawn on the maps which players can obtain while they wait.

There's 5 I note in isolated spots between all three lanes. Which are in the lanes and not close to the gathering point, which is one reason why you don't see enough players there to start with. Keep the players nearby, and they'll start to group up.

Removing the timer would cause it to be unknown when a new meta is going to begin. If there’s only ever one map instance doing it, and it’s full, this forces players to wait or have to slowly progress their map instance. This wastes players’ limited Time and I wouldn’t call this friendly.

As opposed to waiting for the end of a two-hour cycle, squad taxi spam, waiting to DIE on the previous map, begging RNG to keep you in it, squad taxi-ing again and failing to join... No, the current method requires too many tricks, is unfriendly, and not even a certainty. That is a huge waste of time.

With soft-guidance measures, like starting a new map after one starts, no one has to wait that long, because they will naturally be guided to the newer shard. There won't be the Silverwaste problem of shard-hopping to get an almost-finished map, because shards in progress would be closed off. And if necessary, a DS map running low on players could divert incoming players to that map long enough to fill quota. All handled on the back end, so players don't have to know quasi-exploits to participate.

First camps get completed within 10 minutes of the meta starting. That’s also really no different than how it is now with the map instance(s) quickly filling up leaving “dead” maps. Your suggestion is also extremely unfriendly to those players with connection issues as it greatly increases the odds that they miss the entire meta.

The connection issue is unfortunate, but players have been low-key screaming for map placeholders for a while. Seems like an ideal reason to work on that.

The best option to do the meta when you’re on a “dead” map is to tag up and/or get others to tag up. Post in the LFG to get players into that map instance. If you can’t get enough by doing this, any suggestion you mentioned will not have any impact either.

And if the shard is already at 1:00:00 left on the map, no one is going to do it. It will remain a dead map until reset. It's a waste of processing power at that point. If a new map gets made to divert players zoning in, omg, they might stick around long enough to LFG or poke around until a meta gets called.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Iam in the game right now. On Dragon Stand map. Its dead right now. Nothing in the LFG either. this is prime example of what I am talking about. nobody else is here it seem1:16:20 on the count down

And that map, most likely, won't ever be a meta map.Players that were going to do the meta either got into their shard 15 minutes prior, or gave up because no meta was forming.The current map shard is a waste.

@"Rauderi.8706" said:As opposed to waiting for the end of a two-hour cycle, squad taxi spam, waiting to DIE on the previous map, begging RNG to keep you in it, squad taxi-ing again and failing to join... No, the current method requires too many tricks, is unfriendly, and not even a certainty. That is a huge waste of time.

I mean technically all is true except I guess except the first squad taxi spam I don't know what it means. The map is either full or not, no spam required.But in reality this means you come on time (15 mins before reset) join group and instance and after 15 mins you start. Yes there is a small chance you will get booted but if there is so much people there is a good chance a second map will also do the meta. In the end it is not much hassle, you are just exaggerating.For me this is the easiest by far and the least amount of waiting. If I am on time on the map this means I will start meta in 15 mins. If your system would be in place the meta would start somewhere between now and never.

Also now the probability that we will finish the meta is very high (don't remember the last time meta failed) because everything is on schedule and people can organize. There are always commanders, there is a lot of people. I prefer a small chance to get booted (= lots of people) instead of a large chance to not finish the map.With your system people would come do some events and leave. At some point there would be enough people on map that the meta would start but would they be organized, would they be even there for meta, would there be competent commanders? Who knows. If I am already doing events for one hour hoping meta will start it is a very good chance I am already super bored and will go pvp or something. And 15 people is not enough for DS. Maybe if all were skilled but this open world. You need 15 people only on bosses for the tower phase to be safe. And than 15 more on the laps but more is better.

Every meta map has "empty", useless shards. This is not specific to DS.

@Cuks.8241 said:

@"Rauderi.8706" said:As opposed to waiting for the end of a two-hour cycle, squad taxi spam, waiting to DIE on the previous map, begging RNG to keep you in it, squad taxi-ing again and failing to join... No, the current method requires too many tricks, is unfriendly, and not even a certainty.
That
is a huge waste of time.

I mean technically all is true except I guess except the first squad taxi spam I don't know what it means. The map is either full or not, no spam required.But in reality this means you come on time (15 mins before reset) join group and instance and after 15 mins you start. Yes there is a small chance you will get booted but if there is so much people there is a good chance a second map will also do the meta. In the end it is not much hassle, you are just exaggerating.For me this is the easiest by far and the least amount of waiting. If I am on time on the map this means I will start meta in 15 mins. If your system would be in place the meta would start somewhere between now and never.

Also now the probability that we will finish the meta is very high (don't remember the last time meta failed) because everything is on schedule and people can organize. There are always commanders, there is a lot of people. I prefer a small chance to get booted (= lots of people) instead of a large chance to not finish the map.With your system people would come do some events and leave. At some point there would be enough people on map that the meta would start but would they be organized, would they be even there for meta, would there be competent commanders? Who knows. If I am already doing events for one hour hoping meta will start it is a very good chance I am already super bored and will go pvp or something. And 15 people is not enough for DS. Maybe if all were skilled but this open world. You need 15 people only on bosses for the tower phase to be safe. And than 15 more on the laps but more is better.

•Even the first taxi squad spam. I know. I've done it. Repeatedly. Being in a map doesn't mean that's the map the squad is going to form. So if you're not in the One Sacred Map, it's Taxi Spam until you might get lucky enough.•Failing to get into the One Sacred Map, there's a chance, maybe another group forms. It won't have all the commanders the Good Map has, and it still needs at least 15 to get going. By then, some rejected players have given up. The map bleeds players, because the window to "get in" is gone. Wasted time, and a waste of a map. Been there, done that, no hyperbole.•Show up to do DS even 30 minutes into the two-hour rotation, kitten out of luck. Too bad. Guess you better do something else for an hour and a half. ..like log off. Fixed timer bleeds players.•"Do some events and leave." At least they'd be doing something! Right now, with no meta, there's nothing to do on that map, and no reason to pretend sticking around is going to grow a meta group.•With Chak still on a timer, it's still easily predictable when a group might show up anyway, because those following the event chain would flow right in.•The map system I'm proposing would leave pretty much no option but to get into a fresh map, because that'd be the only one open until enough people zone in to start the camps. No taxiing, because other maps would close off (unless the map population dips).

The current method and cycle is awful, and people just . . roll over for it because of some gimmicky, inconsistent exploit. I realize devs probably aren't going to care about "old" content like DS when a 'serviceable' option is enough, but it's that kind of thinking that makes GW2 continue to falter.

@Stu Grockalot.2937 said:Something needs to be done about Dragon's Stand.At release of HoT this was an amazing map, the meta was fantastic, and I enjoyed the big push to take down Mordremoth.Now a days the map ALWAYS seems empty, the meta never progresses and large areas of the map are un-explorable.Something needs to be done to fix it :(

You've got to learn the mechanics. When the map closes and you're in an instance without a commander, use lfg. When you come 10 or so minutes AFTER the event has started, existing maps are locked. And you'll end up in an empty one. So you have to prepare for DS a bit. be there around 5 minutes before the event stops. Use lfg if you do not have many people in your map and join one of the squads in lfg. I have done DS the last week a few times to get more Amalgamated Gemstones and I always had a full, organized map. Tangled Depth also needs a bit of preparation or you'll end up on an empty map when the End Boss appears.