[Feedback] Cooking 500

So, with Cooking 500 rolling out today, we probably need a single thread for all the discussions. For my post, I'll list some pros and cons I've noticed so far.

Pros:

• Cooking seems a bit more useful now
  • The additions to the home instance are neat looking, especially that oven
  • Garden Plots are more useful now
  • Only a small time gate
  • Seems to be a great precursor to adding other professions to your Home Instance or possibly a test for player housing

Cons:

• Apparently, only your Chef can see the kitchen and none of your other toons
  • There is no Chef in the Home Instance (that I'm aware of), so you have to leave every time you need something sold by a Grandmaster.
  • Far too many items are needed that you can NOT deposit into your storage, so you need a lot of bag room

Feel free to add your thoughts too!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@videoboy.4162 said:

Considering my cook is an alt character I will not waste my time building the kitchen as I will very rarely ever get to see it again.

Me : Enters home instance on alt character cook, see's a nice shiny kitchenMe : RelogsMe : Enters home instance on main character, kitchen's goneMe : Such Immersion...

Another failed attempt at content...

Even a temporary Topic location for new roll-out discussion materials would be nice.

I haven't figured out the new advanced cooking and have no idea who to turn to for answers.

I have Cooking 450 on a human and Asura for race-specific recipes, but other than running through ingredients, gaining some experience, and losing inventory slots I have yet to actually see where the advance comes in.

@Vavume.8065 said:

Considering my cook is an alt character I will not waste my time building the kitchen as I will very rarely ever get to see it again.

Me : Enters home instance on alt character cook, see's a nice shiny kitchenMe : RelogsMe : Enters home instance on main character, kitchen's goneMe : Such Immersion...

Have you tried it with a level 1 skilled cook?If it works you can just train 1 skill in cooking for all and have it in the back ground as a third unused crafting discipline on every character

@Game of Bones.8975 said:Even a temporary Topic location for new roll-out discussion materials would be nice.

I haven't figured out the new advanced cooking and have no idea who to turn to for answers.

I have Cooking 450 on a human and Asura for race-specific recipes, but other than running through ingredients, gaining some experience, and losing inventory slots I have yet to actually see where the advance comes in.

what recipes are race specific?

@Vavume.8065 said:

Why would someone who isn't a cook care about a fancy kitchen?

@Linken.6345 said:

Have you tried it with a level 1 skilled cook?If it works you can just train 1 skill in cooking for all and have it in the back ground as a third unused crafting discipline on every character

No I have not tried it and I have no intention of using a ghetto work around (if it even works) this is something that should have been account bound, I will either wait until they fix it or just never make the kitchen.

@Trise.2865 said:Why would someone who isn't a cook care about a fancy kitchen?

Sorry I don't roleplay my cook or any of my characters... my home instance belongs to all my characters, if I make something for one of them then I want it for all of them, like 90% of everything else in the instance.

@Vavume.8065 said:

Do note that you get a LOT of cooking skill from finishing all 5 lines of the collection. I was 500 by the time i finished, so it was worthwhile doing.I have a second chef on an unused alt. the cooking table suddenly popped up in the home instance when hitting 425. And I daresay that it will turn bloodstone once hitting 500. Even if its seemingly allowing you to repeat the collection.

Cons:

• There is no Chef in the Home Instance (that I'm aware of), so you have to leave every time you need something sold by a Grandmaster.
  • Far too many items are needed that you can NOT deposit into your storage, so you need a lot of bag room

could anet allow for a seperate storage for these chef items, at least in our home instance that has the kitchen built?

@Vavume.8065 said:

No I have not tried it and I have no intention of using a ghetto work around (if it even works) this is something that should have been account bound, I will either wait until they fix it or just never make the kitchen.

@Trise.2865 said:Why would someone who isn't a cook care about a fancy kitchen?

Sorry I don't roleplay my cook or any of my characters... my home instance belongs to all my characters, if I make something for one of them then I want it for all of them, like 90% of everything else in the instance.

I agree with you that it should be visible for whole account, kinda sad that my work around wont work for me.As experienced by LucianDK.8615 that you beed 425 to see basic and 500 to see upgraded one everyone.

@Twospirit.4589 said:

Cons:

could anet allow for a seperate storage for these chef items, at least in our home instance that has the kitchen built?

It would be awesome if they let us build a pantry for all the food stuff. That MIGHT give them more room in the normal material storage too. (not sure if they can remove items or replace then with new things though)

a major disappointment just discovered. The new varieal seedpouches you can craft is -ONE- time only. unlike the baseline sees that is automatically replanted. Yes, i will not be making anymore seed pouches.But I do not regret pushing cooking to 500. I like I got a new garden slot and another gobbler for the collection.

@LucianDK.8615 said:a major disappointment just discovered. The new varieal seedpouches you can craft is -ONE- time only. unlike the baseline sees that is automatically replanted. Yes, i will not be making anymore seed pouches.But I do not regret pushing cooking to 500. I like I got a new garden slot and another gobbler for the collection.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean but I was able to craft multiple copies of the varietal seed pouches. I harvested from Herb nodes in Tyria to get the extra seeds and then used the portable composter to salvage a bunch of stuff from my bank and inventory. Cheers,

@Zushada.6108 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:a major disappointment just discovered. The new varieal seedpouches you can craft is -ONE- time only. unlike the baseline sees that is automatically replanted. Yes, i will not be making anymore seed pouches.But I do not regret pushing cooking to 500. I like I got a new garden slot and another gobbler for the collection.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean but I was able to craft multiple copies of the varietal seed pouches. I harvested from Herb nodes in Tyria to get the extra seeds and then used the portable composter to salvage a bunch of stuff from my bank and inventory. Cheers,

I think they mean that you can only harvest the ones you plant ONE time. Then you have to make new seeds to plant again.

@videoboy.4162 said:

I think they mean that you can only harvest the ones you plant ONE time. Then you have to make new seeds to plant again.

Oh thank you for clarifying! That is a bummer. I thought it would be like the regular garden seeds.

@Zushada.6108 said:

Oh thank you for clarifying! That is a bummer. I thought it would be like the regular garden seeds.

yes, I thought so as well, you have to recraft ascended seed pouches for every new day. Yuck.

I was all excited about ascended cooking until I found out about the seeds. You have to farm for the varietal every single time you want to plant them. And you get 1 time harvest only. And only 1 of the cultivated seeds per harvest. Just no. No way will I spend all my time trying to farm for an rng based item from plant nodes just to make a feast item. Yes, it would be nice. I already do a lot of crafting for my guild. But this? Forget it. As far as I am concerned this is a very bad implementation for the garden part of the cooking.

Anyone know how to get the "Cut of Quality Rare Meat" item? Wiki says it can drop for any enemy that can drop normal red meat, but I have been slaying those critters on various maps for hours (probably a couple hundred, mostly dolyaks) and not gotten one. Based on the the TP price it should be rare but not that rare. Any advice? I know I could just buy one but I'd rather get it myself.

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:Anyone know how to get the "Cut of Quality Rare Meat" item? Wiki says it can drop for any enemy that can drop normal red meat, but I have been slaying those critters on various maps for hours (probably a couple hundred, mostly dolyaks) and not gotten one. Based on the the TP price it should be rare but not that rare. Any advice? I know I could just buy one but I'd rather get it myself.

I went to the swamp in queensdale and killed drakes. Don't know if that helps or not.

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:Anyone know how to get the "Cut of Quality Rare Meat" item? Wiki says it can drop for any enemy that can drop normal red meat, but I have been slaying those critters on various maps for hours (probably a couple hundred, mostly dolyaks) and not gotten one. Based on the the TP price it should be rare but not that rare. Any advice? I know I could just buy one but I'd rather get it myself.It's random. A friend of mine got his on the very first mob he killed, while I had to kill several dozend (and got a good many pieces of red meat in the process) before I got one, then got two more back to back.

Just make sure you've gotten to the appropriate step of the Charr collection, as it won't drop before you've witnessed the charr cut up the cow. You can't finish the asura collection unless you do the charr one first or get the meat from the trading post.