Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@Nicodemus.1486 said:note that since applying the maximum open file limit fix from the first post i've been able to start the launcher multiple times without issue. could be coincidence, but previously it would have hung up by now, at least once a day. so maybe try that, @jinxlaw.9467 . couldn't hurt!

The max open file limit is something that should be done even if the launcher works fine without, without it the game may freeze or crash at any other point. Also note that this is something useful for Linux gamers using Wine with the ESync feature, GW2 just happens to hit the system's default limit rather quickly.

some things about the launcher freezing the desktop:it actually does not freeze the desktop. Instead it floods the Xserver is so many update requests it just can't cope anymoreenabling virtual desktop is work aroundsetting the game to auto start after login helps (you just have to hit enter and wait 5s)using different WMs helps a lot. Plasma was truly awful. I use lxqt and the launcher behaves pretty well UNLESS:I alt-tab to chrome/chromium with a youtube video open so it goes over the launcher. Then.. it is game over. Instead of waiting for the mess to untangle it is much faster to switch vt and just kill X altogether.

I am just here to say wine proton 1.12 has d9vk.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Proton-4.11-Released

Although d9vk does not have same level maturity as gallium 9 or vanilla wine + patches, playing d3d9 games will be much easier in the future.

On other news, valve is proposing some kernel changes to reduce overhead is certain situations

https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/2957094910196249305

just a headsup:

I am using arcdps.mesa from https://github.com/daniel-schuermann/mesaUpdated arcdp on Friday, played a bit all was well.

Began wvw and crashed out on the first bigger fight, during 'too many files open'. My limit is over 1 Million files...Retried, same result

Disabled csmt

No more crashsFPS went UP by a huge margin

• 2 weeks later...

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:updated to that mesa version on Friday 16th. Works well.

Glad you solved it, gave you quite a bit of a hard time lately.

I've been testing newer builds of d9vk, so far no improvements regarding GW2 which is why I've been a bit silent. I have been far from idle though as I'm keeping an eye on the upcoming fsync feature, in theory it should give the game an even bigger boost than esync.

Hello not shure if this helps any wone.but had some Random freeze's when playing & random sound breaking.

Specs geareMainboard MSI X470 GAMING PROCpu Ryzen 5 3600 factory settings no OCGpu Nvidia 760 driver 430.34SSD Samsung SSD 860 evo 250 GB ext4 formatHDD ST9320325AS(0001SDM1) 300 GB ext4 formatRAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16 GB

OS POP_OS 19.04Wine version wine-4.0
Lutris version lutris-0.5.2.2

i installed GW2 via lutris (64 bit installer ) on 2nd drive HDD.when i was gaming some time's my screen random freeze's (Alle core's of CPU whent to 0%)the tips at the start din't help.

the log funcion told me of problems whit the shader.088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[0].zw" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[1].zw" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[2].w" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[3].w" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[4].w" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[5].zw" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[7]" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[8]" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[9]" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[10]" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[11]" might be used before being initialized0088:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(27) : warning C7050: "R4.y" might be used before being initialized

the fix 4 me was installing GW2 on my SSD (same drive as OS ) instead of my 2nd driveeven dit the 3 worms event, no issues.even when my video settings where a lot better then when crashes happen on 2nd drive

Wil tri to install a div HDD to test if it a problem is gone then.wil update if this problem is stil there whit div HDD

Edit

like promise tried div HDDSamsung HD502Hi 500 GB ext4 formatstil the same problem

01ef:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[1].w" might be used before being initialized01ef:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[2].w" might be used before being initialized01ef:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[5]" might be used before being initialized01ef:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(22) : warning C7050: "vs_out[6]" might be used before being initialized

but stil downloading game data wil check again when alle is downloaded

Hope this helps somebody.

Time for a bit of an August update.

I've updated the package to version 1.8.2 which brings with it the usual D9VK library update, and in the second change I've disabled CSMT in relation to @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" issue(s) in the above posts, personally I couldn't replicate them but turning off CSMT didn't lose any performance.

For those wondering what CSMT is, it's basically a multithreaded feature to improve performance when using Wine's own D3D code. As such since GW2 is using D9VK and not Wine's D3D this feature has no effect on game performance and can be safely turned off.

In other news, I recently got a new ultrawide monitor with a 32:9 aspect ration (3840x1080) and I'm happy to report the game scales well with it. Performance is reduced mildly but still maintains that 50-60+ fps for the most part (excluding large events):gJ5wNNS.jpg

I have an i5 6300HQIntel 530 HDGeForce GTX 960M

I usesudo prime-select intelsudo prime-select nvidia

To switch between graphics but it seems the nvidia works better all around. Yet i downloaded the Intel version, the game still runs. Will I have any problem ? Using OpenSuse Leap, dont think the FPS are perfect (58 fps on WvW in empty zone)

Will i have any problems using the Intel version or should i switch to Nvidia to check if i get better fps ?

@Knox.3748 said:I have an i5 6300HQIntel 530 HDGeForce GTX 960M

I usesudo prime-select intelsudo prime-select nvidia

To switch between graphics but it seems the nvidia works better all around. Yet i downloaded the Intel version, the game still runs. Will I have any problem ? Using OpenSuse Leap, dont think the FPS are perfect (58 fps on WvW in empty zone)

Will i have any problems using the Intel version or should i switch to Nvidia to check if i get better fps ?

Hi,

The Nvidia package has some tweaks specific for those gpu's. It might offer slightly better performance but nothing too major.

Thanks for mentioning prime, it seems the new effort by nvidia is working well :)

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Knox.3748 said:wine: Bad format EXE para C:\GW2\GW2.exe.Having this error on terminal with the latest nvidia package. anyone knows why ?

Hi, which driver version? Can you also share distro and GPU model please?

Last I've tested the game with, was on v430.40 with GTX 1060.

Opensuse Leap. Inter version worked fine but i wanna play with the correct version and even deleted the Intel one lolI tried the Nvidia package.

@Knox.3748 said:

@Knox.3748 said:wine: Bad format EXE para C:\GW2\GW2.exe.Having this error on terminal with the latest nvidia package. anyone knows why ?

Hi, which driver version? Can you also share distro and GPU model please?

Last I've tested the game with, was on v430.40 with GTX 1060.

Opensuse Leap. Inter version worked fine but i wanna play with the correct version and even deleted the Intel one lolI tried the Nvidia package.

Edit: it was something wrong by my part. Deleted folder, run setup again and im installing :)