Please tell me this isn't working as intended.. 1 shot for over 40k in less than a second..

SLOTH.5231

@"SLOTH.5231" said:One shot at full HP 17kHP no time to react over 40k dmg in less than a second and don't kitten tell me it's a L2P issue. I don't mind dying but this is complete kitten.

https://ibb.co/0rnxT47

Dude, Mosquito is my alt account! :-(Nerf Spatial Surge! :-D

You did accomplish something, though! You got hit by the mythical Dagger/Staff Thief! Never in my days have I actually seen one!

I am actually curious how long it took the Thief to get that burst in. I'm not sure if it would really be that quick going from Backstab to dagger auto, then switching to Staff to get the Vault in. Too bad there wasn't a video, though it probably seemed a lot faster in the moment than it actually was. Deadeye can get Quickness on Steal, but Daredevil would have to get it from elsewhere (maybe hitting the Backstab from the rear). I'm also curious how much health you had, and which shot actually took you down. If it was 17k, then it only took the Backstab, so the rest is rather irrelevant.

Don't feel bad, though. The last time I was in WvW, I got hit by an 18k Backstab, and I only had 14k health :-P

Of course, Thieves aren't the only ones who can do this. I was insta-down by an invisible Mesmer a while back also. What's really bad is other professions have been able to pull bigger numbers off in PvP (some in Stealth, some not).

The best thing to do in these cases is to sit back and laugh while you imagine how much worse it could be... you could actually be a Thief in PvP ;-P

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"SLOTH.5231" said:One shot at full HP 17kHP no time to react over 40k dmg in less than a second and don't kitten tell me it's a L2P issue. I don't mind dying but this is complete kitten.

The one shot was backstab. There were 6 hits for your 40k. Likely not in 1 second but ok.

You are running a Mesmer with greatsword. A power weapon. So likely you are running fairly glassy.

So, a boosted up hit from stealth to a glassy class? Yes. It’s working as intended.

Just because he is zerk doesnt mean any kitten dmg number is justified.

Yes, it does, As @Sovereign.1093 noted, if that is his keep, then there are several other modifiers added.

Sure toning some down would be great.

But maybe, just maybe, that cloth armored, low health profession could add just a little bit of armor. Likely, looking at his HP, he is running mostly all mauraders: that comes with a risk.

Popping like a gorged tick is the payoff.

No it isnt. But its fine. Just let the game die.

@JTGuevara.9018 said:

The one shot was backstab. There were 6 hits for your 40k. Likely not in 1 second but ok.

You are running a Mesmer with greatsword. A power weapon. So likely you are running fairly glassy.

So, a boosted up hit from stealth to a glassy class? Yes. It’s working as intended.

Are you seriously defending this? None of what you said even MATTERS. It's freakin 40k lmao! I hate how players have accepted this as NORMAL.

Can any of your toons do 40k in 6 hits as a zerk/full mauraders?

The OP says it’s in ‘1 second’ but all we have is a log.

The first hit was enough to down him. In full marauders, the OP has around 17-18k health. The other 5 hits were cleaves on a downed player.

The OP’s claim is puppy.

NOW: if we want to discuss that damage is too high etc, sure, I’ll agree with that. But given the class the OP is running, where the damage is (the attacker is in the borders of his own SMC by the OPs later statements) the OP knows full well the risk he is taking by running glass.

Again, he got popped like a gorged tick.

@alain.1659 said:

Are you seriously defending this? None of what you said even MATTERS. It's freakin 40k lmao! I hate how players have accepted this as NORMAL.

Check the previous posts it is not 40 k. Or at least check the picture. There is only one char that can do one shot 30k+ dmg (as far as I have seen in wvw) and it is (or was) norn-form-soulbeast. Thief damage is, although not healthy, quite normal and necessary to burst down other overperforming dps builds. This is caused by a bad game balance and a heavy power creep that includes cc chains. And mesmers burst damage is not that bad either when you compare.

And OP, as a burst profession player yourself, you should not make unnecessary claims about others. If you claim that you were one shotted with 40 k dmg, show the proof. Otherwise please at least use the truth. Perma invis malicious backstab deadeye is not good, we all know that. But demanding nerf and balance are two different things.

NOT ONCE HAVE I MENTIONED NERF

At this point I guess it’s time to move on from WvW and really the game as a whole as it’s no longer enjoyable at this point. It’s really unfortunate.

@SLOTH.5231 said:

@SLOTH.5231 said:One shot at full HP 17kHP no time to react over 40k dmg in less than a second and don't kitten tell me it's a L2P issue. I don't mind dying but this is complete kitten.

Check the previous posts it is not 40 k. Or at least check the picture. There is only one char that can do one shot 30k+ dmg (as far as I have seen in wvw) and it is (or was) norn-form-soulbeast. Thief damage is, although not healthy, quite normal and necessary to burst down other overperforming dps builds. This is caused by a bad game balance and a heavy power creep that includes cc chains. And mesmers burst damage is not that bad either when you compare.

And OP, as a burst profession player yourself, you should not make unnecessary claims about others. If you claim that you were one shotted with 40 k dmg, show the proof. Otherwise please at least use the truth. Perma invis malicious backstab deadeye is not good, we all know that. But demanding nerf and balance are two different things.

NOT ONCE HAVE I MENTIONED NERF

At this point I guess it’s time to move on from WvW and really the game as a whole as it’s no longer enjoyable at this point. It’s really unfortunate.

My bad. I thought your exaggeration was based on a cry for nerf as we can easily see in this forums. I apologize for my mistake.

You can leave wvw. But you can adjust to the situation.

Interestingly you stumbled on a rarity called dagger staff thief. Never seen one of those but I am not a thief main so maybe they are popular on some servers or situations.

I think as a mesmer player who can go invis and one shot (killing without giving a sensible opportunity to react) an unsuspecting player it should not feel that awkward that a thief can one shot someone without proper armor/awareness.

Yknow, your complaint would make a bit more sense if you werent (seemingly) playing a build that does that exact same thing but much better. Especially since its daredevil, so its not got the only advantage of infinite stealth that deadeye builds have.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Yknow, your complaint would make a bit more sense if you werent (seemingly) playing a build that does that exact same thing but much better. Especially since its daredevil, so its not got the only advantage of infinite stealth that deadeye builds have.

The complaint isn’t about the class or I would have posted in the thief sub forum it’s more about the scaling of damage and how broken it is in WvW.

@SLOTH.5231 said:

@SLOTH.5231 said:One shot at full HP 17kHP no time to react over 40k dmg in less than a second and don't kitten tell me it's a L2P issue. I don't mind dying but this is complete kitten.

The complaint isn’t about the class or I would have posted in the thief sub forum it’s more about the scaling of damage and how broken it is in WvW.

Fair enough point and I would agree that damage scales too high.

But don’t you own some responsibility in this encounter by being just shy of full glass?

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

But don’t you own some responsibility in this encounter by being just shy of full glass?

I have 8 toons this is just one of them I play time to time in small scale groups when taking camps or attacking sections of smc and keeps. I have personally never one shot anyone glass or not when illusions pop up most people know to dodge lol

@XECOR.2814 said:

Yes it does; it’s Zerk gear, high risk, high reward.

Remember, this is a WvW forum where typically people do not run zerk but instead very tanky. That same thief burst hits my tanky class for not even 10k. That means that thief is basically all but useless when it comes to their effectiveness in WvW. The only thing they can do is burst down other zerk targets which they are likely to rarely find

If that thief used that combo on my tanky class, they basically would have blown everything they had and the kitchen sink with nothing to show for it, other than possibly lit up with conditions they can’t clear and eventually die.

Why do people persistently complain about “power creep” and “too much damage” when in fact the opposite is true. The damage in this game mode can’t be gauged around roamers or gankers running zerk or semi-zerk gear getting hit from other classes that likely have to spec into such damage and have the stars align before delivering these attacks. WvW is not built around roaming or small scale, never has and never will be. It’s built around large scale having practically every boon and/or condition in the book on you while you’re getting hit by like 5-10 people at once; all in semi-tanky gear.

Roamers and gankers need to understand this (especially when it comes to mounts too), the game mode is not built around their style of play. The constant whining coming from these people has likely caused a hoard of unnecessary nerfs to classes

@SLOTH.5231 said:

I have 8 toons this is just one of them I play time to time in small scale groups when taking camps or attacking sections of smc and keeps. I have personally never one shot anyone glass or not when illusions pop up most people know to dodge lol

Just because you haven’t pulled one off, doesn’t mean you aren’t a classic target for one. Anyone that glassy stands that chance...

I would stay closer to your pocket firebrand/scrapper

@XECOR.2814 said:

Yes, it does, As @Sovereign.1093 noted, if that is his keep, then there are several other modifiers added.

Sure toning some down would be great.

But maybe, just maybe, that cloth armored, low health profession could add just a little bit of armor. Likely, looking at his HP, he is running mostly all mauraders: that comes with a risk.

Popping like a gorged tick is the payoff.

No it isnt. But its fine. Just let the game die.

Can't kill whats already dead.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:

Yes it does; it’s Zerk gear, high risk, high reward.

Remember, this is a WvW forum where typically people do not run zerk but instead very tanky. That same thief burst hits my tanky class for not even 10k. That means that thief is basically all but useless when it comes to their effectiveness in WvW. The only thing they can do is burst down other zerk targets which they are likely to rarely find

If that thief used that combo on my tanky class, they basically would have blown everything they had and the kitchen sink with nothing to show for it, other than possibly lit up with conditions they can’t clear and eventually die.

Why do people persistently complain about “power creep” and “too much damage” when in fact the opposite is true. The damage in this game mode can’t be gauged around roamers or gankers running zerk or semi-zerk gear getting hit from other classes that likely have to spec into such damage and have the stars align before delivering these attacks. WvW is not built around roaming or small scale, never has and never will be. It’s built around large scale having practically every boon and/or condition in the book on you while you’re getting hit by like 5-10 people at once; all in semi-tanky gear.

Roamers and gankers need to understand this (especially when it comes to mounts too), the game mode is not built around their style of play. The constant whining coming from these people has likely caused a hoard of unnecessary nerfs to classes

the game wasnt built and balanced around mounted combat for the last 7 years.

is it wrong to complain about the imbalance that has brought? or about the nullification of builds and heavily time gated gear such as Celestial?I got 4 ascended sets of Celestial... none of which work against a mount.

This.... this right here is one of if not the biggest problem in PvP/WvW, and if people are to blind/stubborn to see the bigger picture, then, well let the whole thing burn and rest on Anet's shoulders. This balance ..... if you can call it that, across the board, all classes, is terrible. It is driving people away, making it so new people, PEOPLE that add to the numbers of populations, that let Anet know interest is being shown, is dwindling faster then people coming in. These one trick ponies are exactly that, one trick, and a bit annoying. However the bigger issue at hand is how does this look, say to someone who just got there gear, grind mats, checked for builds, goes out hoping to get a good match and roam/follow tag.... then BAM, one shot tap dancing (insert profession here) on you... WELCOME TO WVW/SPVP. So they dust themselves off, say whatever, head back out, then BAM again, this time they never even saw the person. After about 45 min's, and only about 15 min's actually playing with a team, there original goal... they gave up. No, it wasn't me, was a close friend I tried getting into the game. Now they msg to talk on DC but refuse to give GW2 the time of day, even gave me my money back... suppose that's the bright side of the train wreck. And veterans are feeling the same way, 3200 toughness and pop pop down, mounts that make engaging either easier, or impossible. And for a new person, 95% impossible, and good luck staying with the group. But that all aside, I do believe Anet has shown their level of competency, non surprising after years of neglect towards the game modes. Nothing will change, and if indeed something does change, it will either be minor, or break more then it fixes. I myself will continue trucking along, as a GW1 vet that has a lot of passion for this game, however even myself, is losing faith in what is being delivered.

I usually get rapid shot by thief rifle for 3 shots before i'm downed. If I do put up a fight, they cloak....and then I take DOUBLE the amount of damage on a single shot as he slowly stalks me, and my health bar is 1/2 to 1/4 left. I have to merge with pet for Smokescale bond, and Spam F2 to keep myself alive for a few seconds more. The idea being as soon as he fires, he gets one shot to hit me, decloaks, and the f2 immediately takes me to his sorry ass if he's close enough for me to reach him. Then F1 to knock him down if he has no stability, then F3 to stomp the ground...if all goes to luck, i can hit him with knockback to stun his butt with LB #4...and then Rapidfire on #2. IF he survives that, then the sucker shadowsteps away and cloaks again....by then i'm down to a hairs health, and they just turn around and shoot me at their leisure. Comes down to just how Tanky they are. I'm finding that the Permaboon tanks are nearly impossible to kill on any bursts, and they output far more condition damage that just whittles you down and destroys you in less than 15 seconds to one full minute.

@KeyOrion.9506 said:I usually get rapid shot by thief rifle for 3 shots before i'm downed. If I do put up a fight, they cloak....and then I take DOUBLE the amount of damage on a single shot as he slowly stalks me, and my health bar is 1/2 to 1/4 left. I have to merge with pet for Smokescale bond, and Spam F2 to keep myself alive for a few seconds more. The idea being as soon as he fires, he gets one shot to hit me, decloaks, and the f2 immediately takes me to his sorry kitten if he's close enough for me to reach him. Then F1 to knock him down if he has no stability, then F3 to stomp the ground...if all goes to luck, i can hit him with knockback to stun his butt with LB #4...and then Rapidfire on #2. IF he survives that, then the sucker shadowsteps away and cloaks again....by then i'm down to a hairs health, and they just turn around and shoot me at their leisure. Comes down to just how Tanky they are. I'm finding that the Permaboon tanks are nearly impossible to kill on any bursts, and they output far more condition damage that just whittles you down and destroys you in less than 15 seconds to one full minute.

All that work to hit someone who just needs to dodge to stealth and reset their shot.

@SLOTH.5231 said:

People wont get the fact 'its broken in principle' and rightious cleave out other classes in order to save their own buttcheeks

I get you and yes its too much

you have absolutely no toughness whatsoever. you fought a thief using skills and likely utility skills that were upping his or her damage. theres also a ton of factors you're not listing, amount of might, how much initiative he or she used when casting that vault (1% increase per initiative spent btw) not to mention boundful dodger which is another 10%. thieves can't do anything but ambush you. they have to put all of their damage in that first hit and if it misses, have to keep coming back. you learn a lot about classes after playing them for a long time.