Graphical nitpicking: Rifle projectiles (and many others) don't start at your character

Matoro.9708

Essentially, a lot of skills fire projectiles with a path far beyond the starting point of your character. This is only graphical but looks broken as heck. It's most evident/broken on rifle and pistol. It happens on the turrets as well. Even some racial skills, but that's technically off topic. I tested every engineer projectile on core and both elite specs and took some screenshots. It took a lot of time to do right. I even tested underwater. Unsurprisingly, everything about surface skills underwater is also true. Harpoon gun is 5/5 golden on all skills though, who'd've thunk it?

Going to include the album here for evidence on everything I noticed, some good, some bad, some okay because of the animation. I annotate the images, so I won't say too much here. If it isn't in my link, then it works like a normal projectile should. https://imgur.com/a/YCiG4puI play an asura, but this is not why it happens, since some holosmith and core projectiles do work properly (scrapper has none LOL) - even some new skills are not working as intended (I hope this isn't intended). I suspect it is old outdated code that while not affecting gameplay (I think?), does give a weird sensation that you are magically hitting something with a bullet whose path started beyond your close target. Granted, most things do work perfectly, from throw wrench, toss elixirs, mortars, to even glob shot and glue shot. So it's odd that the auto attacks of the two ranged weapons are some of the odd ones out even after 7 years. I sense a theme.

I can't be the only one this has annoyed or at least noticed this? Shall we save Engineer's theme by removing such wizardry and ambiguity? Time will tell...

Thats because theres animation metrics that handle all that, and the majority of skins don't adhere to them. And you haven't mentioned the much more obvious Deadeye rifle shots that fire at angles from the barrel. It gets even worse in kneel, because the torso pivot is incredibly limited in that state.

And I'm totally unsure if Mesmer's Scepter 3 is supposed float out of their hands, or if its the one longest standing, and highly consistent animation error in the game.

@starlinvf.1358 said:Thats because theres animation metrics that handle all that, and the majority of skins don't adhere to them. And you haven't mentioned the much more obvious Deadeye rifle shots that fire at angles from the barrel. It gets even worse in kneel, because the torso pivot is incredibly limited in that state.

And I'm totally unsure if Mesmer's Scepter 3 is supposed float out of their hands, or if its the one longest standing, and highly consistent animation error in the game.

You're totally right, I don't play Deadeye often enough to think of that. All good points. At the very least, if Anet leaks GW3 tomorrow, they'll build the next engine to avoid these issues from the ground up.