In game appreciation mail - No Items Included

Jake.5741

@tippolit.3591 said:Yep, which is insult to injury .. we pay for the expansion that others will now get free and all we get is kitten.

You got to play the expansion since you bought it up to now when they couldn't. This kind of promotion is nothing new. The expansions have gone on sale numerous times. Should those that bought them when they came out at full price feel entitled to receive compensation?

It seems like it was just a glitched message that likely should not have been distributed in the first place. They said in the live stream that players who already own both will be given an appreciation/veteran pack but didn't indicate when. They likely had it pre-programmed and when something wasn't ready to be distributed, they forgot to change the date of delivery in the message code.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@tippolit.3591 said:Yep, which is insult to injury .. we pay for the expansion that others will now get free and all we get is kitten.

You got to play the expansion since you bought it up to now when they couldn't. This kind of promotion is nothing new. The expansions have gone on sale numerous times. Should those that bought them when they came out at full price feel entitled to receive compensation?

On sale is one thing .. free is another. Lets keep it real here.

@tippolit.3591 said:

Not really.

Yeah I didn't get any mail, grabbed the T-Shirt though.

As for the expansion being free now, be glad you're getting something in return. WoW offers all their expansions free when you buy the newest expansion. And you get nothing in return if you paid for all the expansions previously. At least Anet is giving you something if you paid for HoT previously, unlike other games.

@tippolit.3591 said:

It is being kept real.

What about the Halo franchise? Each game cost $60+ new. After several years, you can buy the complete set for $60. Or the trilogy for $20 in the Platinum collections or whatever it was.

Should I get all my money back, or make people pay full, brand new retail for a 4+ year old set of games?

Your expectations are way off base.

Player retention is much, much more important in an MMO than simple box sales, and this is a fantastic way to lure in new players with a deluge of content, and keep them engaged.

Everyone can't cry about how the game is dying, then turn around and slap ANet for trying to bring in new players, and keep those players.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Not really.

Lol. I see. So I buy a Hyuandai, my neighbor gets one later on sale, everyone else gets a free one. No diff, huh?

@tippolit.3591 said:

Not really.

Lol. I see. So I buy a Hyuandai, my neighbor gets one later on sale, everyone else gets a free one. No diff, huh?

You're ignoring the key point that someone else already made.... every other MMO already does this and usually far sooner than GW2 does. This is not unusual

@tippolit.3591 said:

Not really.

You got value for your purchase between the date that you purchased and today. It's no different in any other game. This is how things work.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Exactly, Honestly I don't understand this bitter attitude some people have about this kind of thing.Deals like this entice more players to the game.. more players is a good thing for the game and everyone in it.But all some people seem to care about is I paid for this.. they didn't.. what about me?.

I pre ordered the collectors edition of Gw2 and bought ultimate editions of both expansions.. and I am absolutely fine with Gw2 going free to play and HoT being bundled for free with PoF.It's not a slap in the face like I keep seeing people claiming.. it's a great promotion for the game.

Honestly I'm just surprised it's taken them this long to do it, and that they still haven't addressed the confusion caused by new players buying what they think is the full game and then having to get the Living Story seasons separately.

I bought GW2 on day 1 of pre-purchase, and pre-purchased both HoT and PoF. I knew each time I did it that if I waited I'd be able to get them cheaper, because that's how it always works with games. (Except in rare cases where an unpopular game becomes a massive hit later on and then it's hard to find a copy.) I decided to pay full price because I didn't want to wait for it to be discounted, and I definitely feel like I've gotten my money's worth from each one, so I'm ok with it.

I realise it might be annoying if this comes as a surprise, but unless you're new to buying games or pretty much anything, I don't see how it could be surprising because it's pretty standard for older products to drop in price.

@"Zushada.6108" said:It seems like it was just a glitched message that likely should not have been distributed in the first place. They said in the live stream that players who already own both will be given an appreciation/veteran pack but didn't indicate when. They likely had it pre-programmed and when something wasn't ready to be distributed, they forgot to change the date of delivery in the message code.

The announcement on the main site has more detail: https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-is-free-with-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire/

Apparently the mail will be sent out from 12pm Pacific Time today (about 1.5 hours from now) but we should allow up to 72 hours for delivery, presumably because whatever system they're using sends out a few at a time to avoid overloading the mail system.