[Merged] Feedback about today's Icebrood Saga announcement

@EmmetOtter.8542 said:

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Disappointing, had expected far more from the hyped up big reveal.

Hyped up? I only saw like 2 announcements and both on the guildwars2.com website. That's not "hyped up"? Hyped up would have been Anet-employees talking about it every day somewhere on the internet and in many different media channels. Where else were they talking about it?

The level of features announced today is basically what I was expecting.

You dont get it. The big event, the reveal countdown teaser. The lack of an expack. It led people rightfully to believe that ls5 would be a departure from the usual LS from the past.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Suddenflame.2601 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:I wish it was a joke. I already said in another thread.. but i will repeat it anywayThey spit in the face of vets who paid 60 euros for exp and now they gave it for free... I bet it's cuz they see game is lacking in players big time so they wanna give them it so they'd stay and play.... but that's just gonna make vets mad and leave, utter disrespect...Are you saying that EVERY MMO that does this (makes previous Expansions free after the newest one releases) is spitting in their veterans' faces? GW2 is giving us something while most games (WoW, FF14, etc) don't give the "early adopters" anything.

what is it giving us? their usual 3 month content that i do in 2 days ? and build templates after 7 years ? why wait till the game is almost dead before you do what they ask for... majority who asked for it probably dont even play anymore

Not sure what your complaining about to be honest. I have been playing since Beta and fine with HOT being free to POF buyers. Hell if anything I was expecting this. Older content always eventually gets bundled with the newer. If they didn't do this as an industry-standard I wouldn't own as many games as I do. Hell most games actually give more stuff in the future bundles to entice new players that original day 1 player can not get till they buy the bundle pack (even if though they already have the game).

You can do all the content in GW2? holy kitten let me see if your name is the highest on the leaderboard for achievements then!

Pls do see... im 111 on AP leaderboards...

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Why is it an insult to veterans? not a tall. Look at Wow, they began to give older expansions for free so you dont have buy a zillion expacks to get up to par. Should we whining about that too?

It's entitlement. Someone is getting something that someone else didn't get so they're upset. Where were all of the "I'm disappointed!" threads when the expansions went on sale? Nowhere.

I have a Guildie who JUST bought the expansions 2 nights ago. Tell me. Are they Entitled to be upset that Anet gave no hint to this change? Are they entitled to be upset that they just dropped $120 on content that is now set to be free very soon?

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

@"Kallist.5917" said:That Live stream was a voiced version of the episode announcement page. Wth Anet, you didnt really give us anything new we didnt already expect. The Builds system coming up, and the Strikes. That was pretty much the only real content of the stream. The rest was "Look at what you can buy!"

And how are strikes different than bounties? lmao

Since they 10 man they said, I assume Strike Missions are instanced content unlike Bounties which is just zerged down fights

Those have been my predictions:

Very likely:

A trailer for the next LS chapters --- check, we got one. I always like the painterly style trailers, but nothing in it surprised meA story "preview" of which major NPC's story will continue (most likely Braham & Rytlock - because I assume much will focus on the "dormant" Jormag) ---- check, exactly those two have been mentionedA roadmap to how many chapters we will get --- not addressed; they said they have four teams working on it, but those are not only story teams, but also tech teams, which should synergize

Perhaps:

Vague announcements ("we are working on ...") about skill templates, PvP tournament systems/changes and WvW alliances - check, kind of; Skill templates are in an "alpha" stage (?); Swiss style PvP is at least in "coming soon pipeline"; WvW alliances have not even got a second mention on the follow up question of the host.The outlook for the implementation of 500 Jeweler profession and a legendary amulet --- not mentionedA new set of Legendary weapons --- not mentioned

Unlikely:

Concrete dates (quarters of the year 2020, 2021) when WvW alliances will be implemented An expansion announcement (because I think Anet is still recovering from the big lay off and their failed other projects that NCSoft cancelled)Any announcements about "unlocks" in the gem store, that would enhance professions (like new weapons, skills etc.)

I don't even log in for that LW stuff. I only do it if my wife really wants to. And after she quit because of "No love for wvw in a year" it's hard for me to log in at all. And now they make a two day countdown stream on twitch for another living story?

Come on, really? No, thanks.Dear Anet, you have the mmorpg with the potentially best open world realm vs. realm game on this whole mmorpg market and all you do is stuffing resources in 2 hour pve story content which is released every few month instead?Sorry, can't help to ask "What's wrong with you?"

@"Menadena.7482" said:Sorry anet, you can say we expected too much but we were not the ones that said this was so important, gave a month+ notice, had a nearly-hour event scheduled for a theatre, etc.

Unfortunately this announcement will be judged by what we knew in advance, which was the above.

This is exactly how I feel about it - why go to all the effort of advanced notice, booking a theatre for presentation to a live audience etc.

Surely this would have been better in the same way as previous Living World announcements, even if it is now a "Saga" - ie a preview video/trailer and blog post. Did it really warrant more than that?

The only standout feature was Build Templates.

I really don't want to knock devs who do hard work and want to praise them for their work, but this entire event appears to be devoid of enough substance to justify the need for it.

@Kallist.5917 said:

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Why is it an insult to veterans? not a tall. Look at Wow, they began to give older expansions for free so you dont have buy a zillion expacks to get up to par. Should we whining about that too?

It's entitlement. Someone is getting something that someone else didn't get so they're upset. Where were all of the "I'm disappointed!" threads when the expansions went on sale? Nowhere.

I have a Guildie who JUST bought the expansions 2 nights ago. Tell me. Are they Entitled to be upset that Anet gave no hint to this change? Are they entitled to be upset that they just dropped $120 on content that is now set to be free very soon?

No, your friend isn't entitled to be upset that a business changed their price without notice. However, your friend DOES probably have a good chance at getting a refund if they contact support ASAP.

@Angus.5961 said:The HoT expansion is like 4 years old.

As games age, they get cheaper. Other MMOs do the same thing, it should not be a surprise to anyone.

I have no problem with that. Just feel the rewards for people that purchased both HoT and PoF should be a bit more rewarding, like an extra build template slot or something. idk. But that new glider better be top of the line.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:I wish it was a joke. I already said in another thread.. but i will repeat it anywayThey spit in the face of vets who paid 60 euros for exp and now they gave it for free... I bet it's cuz they see game is lacking in players big time so they wanna give them it so they'd stay and play.... but that's just gonna make vets mad and leave, utter disrespect...They give vets some ugly glider, like.... why'd i even bother with glider 90% of the time when I can use a mount....They give us some armor unlock that's useless to most and a title most won't even use....Most mmos come with build templates, yet Anet gives it after 7 years......

There has to be people who came from different states, literally paying tickets there and back and probably hotel stay over night... for what ? THIS.I'd definitely be furious if I did it just to be told 1st expansion is going to be free...They pay some cringey guy to host it, he yelled my ears off trying to create hype about something they know is going to kitten off mostI also said in another thread that I've witnessed all their hypes in 7 years and I've learnt my lesson. I love being right. I just wish people would understand that it always was like it and always will be and not to expect much.It was probably hype for f2p accounts, they get things to do.. as for fevs... absolutely nothing.

also how many mistakes they had, it's unbelievable ... they don't know their own game.

It is common practice in games like this to include older paid content with newer paid content.WoW has done this since forever. I don't view it as an insult to me.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:I wish it was a joke. I already said in another thread.. but i will repeat it anywayThey spit in the face of vets who paid 60 euros for exp and now they gave it for free... I bet it's cuz they see game is lacking in players big time so they wanna give them it so they'd stay and play.... but that's just gonna make vets mad and leave, utter disrespect...~snip~

You do know this is the exact same thing that ESO does don't you? Not necessarily for all previous expansions but they have done it with some...it came out 4 years ago, it's old now, it's also the same thing they did with the base game when they released HoT so if you didn't see them doing this eventually with a PoF bundle then it's possible you don't know the game or company as well as you think. Especially as a veteran you should have surmised that at some point in the future they would just bundle HoT with PoF, as they have done.

@"Luthan.5236" said:I don't know ... they seemed pretty confident for devs of a game that is "almost dead". (And only they now the sales numbers from the gem sales.) And giving away free stuff is normal. I mean ... players now already don't need to buy the core game. They can start for free and just needed to buy 1 expansion to remove the limits on free account. Players that played from the start had to pay for the core game and then for the expansions I guess.

But then again they hat lots more time to spend in the game. New players will have to catch up on lots of things. So ... old player could just have waited. But then they would have lost time.

Gem store stuff probably gives a decent sum for them. I mean living stories are basically free if you log during release. So that's why they probably aren't in a rush with other content. Requires too much work. Who knows, this game could basically be on life support without anyone knowing it just so they can get more money for as long as they can with minimal investment.

@Mthe mystery.4615 said:

@"Razorsharp Blade.9283" said:Well there goes my last hope for the game, been playing since one of the first betas, and played gw1, and here we are 7 years later having more gemstore content, irl merch and another stale wait 3-5 months for a 1 hour content update living story thing, a year+ delayed WvW alliance update that probs will be delayed, and the game mode is already dead, PvP dead. But hey atleast more stale PvE content! (This is coming from a primarily PvE player). I aint going to WoW but I probs wont continue playing this game for long. So burnt out and bored of this endless timegated LS content and no PvP/WvW content.

My thoughts exactly. I quit 6 months ago, came back to see what the announcement would be and was "SHOCKED" with the gemstore content, merch. But hey, At least PvPs getting a new armor set right? For that 1 pvp fan in the back.

The one PvP fan in the back joke was funny that it should be a GW2Meme now!! lolThat joke backfired here. lmao

Almost exactly what I expected, although it sounds like the story content may be more interesting than I thought. WvW continues to lack any improvement - which is unfortunate, but there were no signs anything was going to change in a hurry, so my expectations there were correct.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

No, your friend isn't entitled to be upset that a business changed their price without notice. However, your friend DOES probably have a good chance at getting a refund if they contact support ASAP.There's already a news post dealing with this issue. Refunds are offered for recent purchases.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:I wish it was a joke. I already said in another thread.. but i will repeat it anywayThey spit in the face of vets who paid 60 euros for exp and now they gave it for free... I bet it's cuz they see game is lacking in players big time so they wanna give them it so they'd stay and play.... but that's just gonna make vets mad and leave, utter disrespect...~snip~

You do know this is the exact same thing that ESO does don't you? Not necessarily for all previous expansions but they have done it with some...it came out 4 years ago, it's old now, it's also the same thing they did with the base game when they released HoT so if you didn't see them doing this eventually with a PoF bundle then it's possible you don't know the game or company as well as you think. Especially as a veteran you should have surmised that at some point in the future they would just bundle HoT with PoF, as they have done.

but ESO doesn't hype it for a month, making you think it's something awesome and never seen beforelike i said, there has to be people from another state who came over.... imagine paying whatever amount of money it was to go there, expecting something that will amaze you... yet you see new trailer, get told 1st exp is free and above all, they spent more time talking about their merch than anything.... it's just insane to me that they hyped this thing for a month and spent good portion of it just advertising their merch

Don't know what the point was with trying to hype an announcement for more of the same, I guess it helps that I expected nothing.It could have all gone into a short news post with the trailer on YouTube, with a separate post for f2p expansion announcement as that doesn't matter to the people playing the game (or at least what the audience for the announcement would have been), we have it already.Not sure why they're waiting for the inevitable free to play PoF/Full game, just say you'll give those that bought it a free Black Lion Chest (*Key not included), sure it'll be fine.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:I wish it was a joke. I already said in another thread.. but i will repeat it anywayThey spit in the face of vets who paid 60 euros for exp and now they gave it for free... I bet it's cuz they see game is lacking in players big time so they wanna give them it so they'd stay and play.... but that's just gonna make vets mad and leave, utter disrespect...Are you saying that EVERY MMO that does this (makes previous Expansions free after the newest one releases) is spitting in their veterans' faces? GW2 is giving us something while most games (WoW, FF14, etc) don't give the "early adopters" anything.

what is it giving us? their usual 3 month content that i do in 2 days ? and build templates after 7 years ? why wait till the game is almost dead before you do what they ask for... majority who asked for it probably dont even play anymore

1) giving old content away as new is introduced isnt spitting in anyone's face.2) what would you be saying if build templates werent announced? Complaining?3) yes "giving."

Look, I am pretty disappointed with the game myself, but the entitlement and complaining if the compa y does add something specific and complaining if they dont is ridiculous.

That said, I have long since learned to ignore ANet attempts at hype. I honestly do not think that they are adept at managing customer expectations while creating buzz. It is a real skill, something that some companies invest in developing, but not one that ANet seems to be very good at IMO.