Icebrood Saga trailer

Daniel Handler.4816

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Blocki.4931" said:What I'm interested in is who is narrating it? Is it Drakkar or is it Jormag? Very female and I was under the impressions that the other elder dragons would be "male" in that sense, if they even have a gender.

Hm, it does sort of sound like Jormag has a female VA that was pitched down. Also elder dragons can present as any gender. If Aurene could be one I don't see why one of the original six couldn't be female.

Cool trailer - I enjoyed it a lot. Voice was a bit weird, but the darker version it morphed into worked well. I'm not hyped for the Season, but I'm not entirely put off either. There's plenty of potential in this if they can start afresh after what was for me, a poor last Season overall.

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:I wonder if Icebrood Saga and Bound in Blood, beyond referring to the minions and legion, are also hinting at a scion. Her? brood and her? blood.

The trailer is also white walker-ish and it will be interesting to see how much that work influences their's.

GoT has been something they've used a lot as influence. It's a bit sad they still regard a sub standard fantasy series (imo) as something to try and aspire to, either in style, concept or episodic formula.

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:What I'm interested in is who is narrating it? Is it Drakkar or is it Jormag? Very female and I was under the impressions that the other elder dragons would be "male" in that sense, if they even have a gender.

Hm, it does sort of sound like Jormag has a female VA that was pitched down. Also elder dragons can present as any gender. If Aurene could be one I don't see why one of the original six couldn't be female.

I just think it would be freaking hilarious if Jormag - or even just Drakkar - turned out to be female (with the whole Sons of Svanir thing and their anti-female stance)

@Maethor.2810 said:

I just think it would be freaking hilarious if Jormag - or even just Drakkar - turned out to be female (with the whole Sons of Svanir thing and their anti-female stance)

The Svanir got a bunch of new FEMALE recruits, according to dialogue during Dragon Bash, at least I read about that? So they've changed it seems.

@"hugo.4705" said:I like a lot that style of animation, the trailer is very nice, the style, rendering... BTW anyone knows who is the cute looking orange fur charr in the other trailer?

You talking about this one Bangar_Ruinbringer.jpgIf so then that is the blood legion Imperator, Bangar Ruinbringer.

@ErikTheTyrant.4527 said:

@"hugo.4705" said:I like a lot that style of animation, the trailer is very nice, the style, rendering... BTW anyone knows who is the cute looking orange fur charr in the other trailer?

You talking about this one
Bangar_Ruinbringer.jpg
If so then that is the blood legion Imperator, Bangar Ruinbringer.

Yup that one thanks! He looks nice, dunno what he has done to deserve a punch from rytlock....

Regarding Jormag, I would say that he sounds more like a male attempting to appear harmless, non-threatening, even tempting (thinking about it, the voice kind of reminds me of Maklaine Diemer in his version of "Fear Not This Night"). Which is par for Jormag's course since at least the time of Svanir. Lure them in with promises of power, make them think they're in control, and ensnare them. The lower, more menacing undertones also evoke (at least for me) thoughts of the dichotomy of his frozen area of power. On the one hand, you have the gently falling snow, ice skating, skiing, snowball fights, etc., while on the other, you have nature's frozen fury- blizzards, avalanches, falling through the ice that's not as thick and sturdy as it appears. Dying cold and alone in the dark. So yeah. Seeing how that blend of temptation and malice plays out is exciting.

Regarding the Icebrood, that's just the name for those which have been corrupted by Jormag. Kind of like the Branded, or the Mordrem, or the Risen. Hence why if you go north of Snowhawk Landing in Snowden Drifts, you'll find Icebrood Norn and Icebrood Elementals, which, though frozen, look nothing like baby dragons.

Regarding Bangar and Rytlock, as the Twine piece from Requiem reveals, the two have extremely differing opinions and do not get along well in the slightest. Add to that Rytlock's emerging soft spot for his cubs- which Bangar hit hard with his comment about Rytlock's cub being lucky to have Bangar for a father (a reference, I guess, to one of Rytlock's cubs working in close proximity to Bangar and his staff, maybe even in Bangar's warband?)- and that fight was expected, even deserved. As to him looking nice, one doesn't become Imperator of the Blood Legion by collecting bottlecaps or helping at homeless shelters. I suspect he's earned his moniker of "Ruinbringer" many times over and, of the three Imperators, he's the most opinionated, most bloodthirsty, and most opposed to anyone not a Charr. If a challenge to the Pact and its treaties and alliances comes from anyone in the charr high command, I suspect it will come from him. With the dragon threat appearing to have abated, perhaps he makes a power grab and tries to become Khan-Ur. The question becomes is he power-hungry enough to fall prey to the whispers of a slumbering ice dragon who, as we well know, offers great power and has one heck of a sales pitch.

After all, there were more than a few charr in that approaching icebrood horde...

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:What I'm interested in is who is narrating it? Is it Drakkar or is it Jormag? Very female and I was under the impressions that the other elder dragons would be "male" in that sense, if they even have a gender.

The Svanir got a bunch of new FEMALE recruits, according to dialogue during Dragon Bash, at least I read about that? So they've changed it seems.

Oooh thanks for that tidbit, shall look into that. I completely ended up missing Dragon Bash this year due to real life stuff so I'll poke around for dialogue >.>

@"Daniel Handler.4816" said:I wonder if Icebrood Saga and Bound in Blood, beyond referring to the minions and legion, are also hinting at a scion. Her? brood and her? blood.

The trailer is also white walker-ish and it will be interesting to see how much that work influences their's.

Edit: is Jormag female presenting?

Bound in Blood sounds like an expedition to the Blood Legion area to be the staging ground to the assault on the Icebrood. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blood_Legion_Homelands

In the French version of the trailer, Jormag's voice is distinctively female, which surprised me because I listened to the English one first, where he sounded very male to me. But I'm so happy to see Charrs, Norns, Kodans and possibly centaurs getting some love plus the damn FAR SHIVERPEAKS that I'm elated, right now. I just want to NOT have Asura, the Inquest or any of their techynology in the first parts of the story, please, ANet !

@"Valmir.4590" said:In the French version of the trailer, Jormag's voice is distinctively female, which surprised me because I listened to the English one first, where he sounded very male to me. But I'm so happy to see Charrs, Norns, Kodans and possibly centaurs getting some love plus the kitten FAR SHIVERPEAKS that I'm elated, right now. I just want to NOT have Asura, the Inquest or any of their techynology in the first parts of the story, please, ANet !

Also the link for anyone else.https://mobile.twitter.com/GuildWars2_FR/status/1167475036455747584?s=17

I found that the French VA sounded a lot more genuine at first but that the last bits of the preview lacked some of the malevolent and draonic effects on the voice. ALso, the artstyle of this trailer was absolutely awesome. The Icebrood Charr looks really frightening (or was it a Kodan ? I'm almost sure it's a charr, but I could be wrong). I wonder if we'll have some siege maps, like the Eye of the North (I think it was the structure at the very end of the trailer, behind Braham, Rytlock and the woman norn I suspect is Javi Jorasdottir).

I think Jormag is intentionally meant to sound androgynous, because the voice sounds more masculine, feminine, or in between at different points.

Could be an effort to show that EDs don’t have a concrete sex/gender in general, but it could also be a lowkey hint that Jormag is androgynous/without gender and in actuality doesn’t give a flying fig who follows them.

Would be kind of fun to see the Sons get knocked off their high horse when J rolls up and says “gender is a construct” before flash freezing their asses. :p

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:What I'm interested in is who is narrating it? Is it Drakkar or is it Jormag? Very female and I was under the impressions that the other elder dragons would be "male" in that sense, if they even have a gender.

What prompted that change? They seemed to have pretty strong feelings against that. Did the PC police get to them?

They might need to change it to "Children of Svanir" if that's the case.