[Merged] Feedback about today's Icebrood Saga announcement

@Menadena.7482 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:I wish it was a joke. I already said in another thread.. but i will repeat it anywayThey spit in the face of vets who paid 60 euros for exp and now they gave it for free... I bet it's cuz they see game is lacking in players big time so they wanna give them it so they'd stay and play.... but that's just gonna make vets mad and leave, utter disrespect...~snip~

You do know this is the exact same thing that ESO does don't you? Not necessarily for all previous expansions but they have done it with some...it came out 4 years ago, it's old now, it's also the same thing they did with the base game when they released HoT so if you didn't see them doing this eventually with a PoF bundle then it's possible you don't know the game or company as well as you think. Especially as a veteran you should have surmised that at some point in the future they would just bundle HoT with PoF, as they have done.

but ESO doesn't hype it for a month, making you think it's something awesome and never seen beforelike i said, there has to be people from another state who came over.... imagine paying whatever amount of money it was to go there, expecting something that will amaze you... yet you see new trailer, get told 1st exp is free and above all, they spent more time talking about their merch than anything.... it's just insane to me that they hyped this thing for a month and spent good portion of it just advertising their merch

I keep seeing you saying stuff like "imagine paying to go..." and not offering up actual info on someone that did this instead of people that were literally already there to attend PAX and decided to go to this (which was free in and of itself AND attendees got merch). Like i get you feel it was overhyped and objectively it probably was, but i think you are getting really worked up over people that might not actually exist.

Okay, here is your evidence (well, close to it).

If it were not for the hype I would have stayed at work all day rather than only being there for a couple hours. True, since it was Friday before a long weekend I might have left an hour or two early, but not well before lunch. I used PTO I would not normally have used. The SOLE reason I left that early was to see the stream. Who do I see to get paid for my time?

You used PTO to watch a stream that you could have watched on your phone during a lunch break? Wow. Far be it from me to suggest how anyone else "adult" in their life, but no hobby is ever that serious. I can't even fathom where you might work that such a drastic measure would be necessary. I'd ask, but i worry that it will end up being a situation where taking the PTO would have been obviously very unnecessary in the first place.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SpyderArachnid.5619 said:

@"otto.5684" said:I am trying to figure out what was announced (and I do not mean that in a disappointing way). What was discussed beside LWS5 and build templates?

LW5 was announced. It's a "saga" instead of a "season" though (whatever that means). Build Templates are still in the works (not ready yet). New WvW restructuring in the works (not ready yet). Strike missions (mini raids for randoms). Some new Masteries for the new maps. Heart of Thorns is free to people who purchased Path of Fire (if you already own HoT, you get a veterans package in the mail). There is a new T-Shirt in the gem store for free. And then a bunch of merchandise (new art book, funko toys, mouse pads, phone covers, etc).

So basically the only thing coming is a new LW "saga". And it is just a prologue, not an episode. Comes out on Sept. 17th.

I am not sure why there was a 45 min stream then. They could have done that in a half a page blog post. No shit people got hyped and now everyone is disappointed. Cuz Anet made it seem like something BIG, almost expansion like, coming. Then it is just.. another LWS episode, with some minor QoL.

Regardless, of the announcement. Without inject new blood in the game by either adding new elites, skills and/or weapons, the game is going on statis. Sure, some people will continue to play the game for the ongoing future, but with the very little content coming, it will shed players at an increasing rate.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:Anyone tuning into this announcement thinking that they were going to experience some kind of revelation and a huge dopamine burst from that announcement is not living in reality. As I've told others, if the game no longer does it for you, that's fine, you've had your fun with it. Move on. There is literally no shortage in game titles coming out in various genres that await your wallet and off work/off school hours. As for those staying or coming into the game, have fun, explore and enjoy any or all of the content that is currently live in the game. Getting yourself overly hyped for something that common sense should have told you wasn't going to be a thing though is not on the company, but on you as an individual. Personally, as a long time player, I'm actually looking forward to heading north and getting to fight Drak since I wanted to do that since GW1.

We were living in reality. Anet has been hyping this for over a month. Any reasonable person would have taken them for their word that this would likely have been a big thing, despite what apologists are saying now.

"..taken them for their word..."

The word where they told us that the next thing coming was LS5?The word where they told us they were working on build templates.

Or can you give a specific example/quote of what they gave their word about other than LS5 and (perhaps) build templates.

Looking at the entire list of threads currently, the negatives drastically outweigh the positive ones; this isn't a good sign at all.

It is true, this announcement was completely over-hyped; it would have been fine in a simple posting on their website. I mean I can't remember exactly, but when they announced the PoF expansion, did they not do a similar event?

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:What even are Funko pops?Are they just some chibi-esque figures, or are they containers with sweets in them?

The former. Massively collectible - pretty much every franchise, comic, tv series, film and so forth has tie in Funkos. There are something like 200,000 different ones out there if I remember rightly

I don't think I've ever seen one of those in Germany.

Info for the event was sparse, so the community filled in the gaps with expectations. These assumptions were very public on ANet's own forums, so it definitely wasn't a secret. If expectations were unreal, then there should have been communication from the people who had visibility to this info.

GW2 is a great game with some solid devs, but this was a drop on the part of community relations. This is an announcement 2 years from the PoF release, which came out 2 years from HoT, so it's not unusual for the community to expect more, particularly when living story releases have never came with something as big as a full public event.

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:I wish it was a joke. I already said in another thread.. but i will repeat it anywayThey spit in the face of vets who paid 60 euros for exp and now they gave it for free... I bet it's cuz they see game is lacking in players big time so they wanna give them it so they'd stay and play.... but that's just gonna make vets mad and leave, utter disrespect...~snip~

You do know this is the exact same thing that ESO does don't you? Not necessarily for all previous expansions but they have done it with some...it came out 4 years ago, it's old now, it's also the same thing they did with the base game when they released HoT so if you didn't see them doing this eventually with a PoF bundle then it's possible you don't know the game or company as well as you think. Especially as a veteran you should have surmised that at some point in the future they would just bundle HoT with PoF, as they have done.

but ESO doesn't hype it for a month, making you think it's something awesome and never seen beforelike i said, there has to be people from another state who came over.... imagine paying whatever amount of money it was to go there, expecting something that will amaze you... yet you see new trailer, get told 1st exp is free and above all, they spent more time talking about their merch than anything.... it's just insane to me that they hyped this thing for a month and spent good portion of it just advertising their merch

I keep seeing you saying stuff like "imagine paying to go..." and not offering up actual info on someone that did this instead of people that were literally already there to attend PAX and decided to go to this (which was free in and of itself AND attendees got merch). Like i get you feel it was overhyped and objectively it probably was, but i think you are getting really worked up over people that might not actually exist.

If it were not for the hype I would have stayed at work all day rather than only being there for a couple hours. True, since it was Friday before a long weekend I might have left an hour or two early, but not well before lunch. I used PTO I would not normally have used. The SOLE reason I left that early was to see the stream. Who do I see to get paid for my time?

You used PTO to watch a stream that you could have watched on your phone during a lunch break? Wow. Far be it from me to suggest how anyone else "adult" in their life, but no hobby is ever that serious. I can't even fathom where you might work that such a drastic measure would be necessary. I'd ask, but i worry that it will end up being a situation where taking the PTO would have been obviously very unnecessary in the first place.

Thank you for thinking you know my office and work routine better than I do. I am in an open office and sitting in the small kitchen (which does not have a wall between it and the workspaces) for 45 minutes with headphones and a phone is not a valid option.

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:Yes, the funko pops and shirts that were part of exactly 3 minutes out of 40 are the thing to talk about.

Didn't they say "over the next hour" or something? Even that was a letdown lol. Anet and GW 2 have done nothing but go downhill in every aspect since LWS4. The JP/Mike OBrian fiasco, firing two employees over that including Peter Fries, the massive layoffs, mountgate, the ridiculous bugs preventing NEW players from content, the many bad balance updates and class changes, story gone down the toilet, and on and on.

We lost CoH for this game and look where it's at now. We need a GW 3 now more than ever. Start new and fresh with a better vision and direction.

Grump. You want to play COH, Their illegal /semi-illegal server is going great. Lots of people playing there. My better half plays there now, and not here, which to me is sad.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:Anyone tuning into this announcement thinking that they were going to experience some kind of revelation and a huge dopamine burst from that announcement is not living in reality. As I've told others, if the game no longer does it for you, that's fine, you've had your fun with it. Move on. There is literally no shortage in game titles coming out in various genres that await your wallet and off work/off school hours. As for those staying or coming into the game, have fun, explore and enjoy any or all of the content that is currently live in the game. Getting yourself overly hyped for something that common sense should have told you wasn't going to be a thing though is not on the company, but on you as an individual. Personally, as a long time player, I'm actually looking forward to heading north and getting to fight Drak since I wanted to do that since GW1.

We were living in reality. Anet has been hyping this for over a month. Any reasonable person would have taken them for their word that this would likely have been a big thing, despite what apologists are saying now.

The word where they told us that the next thing coming was LS5?The word where they told us they were working on build templates.

Or can you give a specific example/quote of what they gave their word about other than LS5 and (perhaps) build templates.

How about that this would be the Next Big Thing (can not be bothered to pull their exact words, look it up yourself) and it was going to be announced at an event in more than a month. In an auditorium. With a countdown clock.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:It's not players fault at all.They announced it month prior. Even adding ominous sounds and stuff to the game to hype it, had 2 day long count down.... for what? Merch ads ?They led people on... it's not players fault at all. Altho I learnt my lesson and wasn't excited for it at all, I wish others were smarter.

ANet told us that the next thing being worked on was LS5. They also indicated that they were working on build templates.

They advertised and then held an event where they announced the direction of LS5 and confirmed build templates.

Players (some) are now upset because they decided that they expected more than what we had been informed was incoming despite months of advance warning.

Dad: hey family, we are going camping at the local lake for summer vacation.Kids: (upon arrival at the lake) hey!! I thought we were going to Paris! Grrr.

But people are free to lie to themselves. Free to be unhappy with the game (I know that I am). Free to blame others for their self delusion. And free to have their self deception pointed out.

Hahahaha. You actually want to blame the players? The people who like(ed) this game? Who supported the devs for 7 years? You want to blame THEM for ANET hyping up an announcement, no, a staged EVENT and proceeding deliver the absolute, the most disappointing let down I've ever seen? Honestly this almost, ALMOST makes Diablo Immortal look good.

I'm off to WoW Classic, Rainbow 6 Siege, Monster Hunter, and all of the other games I've skipped because I had faith in this game. Across 3 of my once busy guilds, a handful still play GW2. And even they are disgusted by todays events. Everyone else I know has quit the game. WvW is dead, PvP is dead, Raid scene is dead.

I'm done. The game is DEAD from anyone's perspective who isn't just a cashshop whale. Because that's all anet supports. Gemstore buyers and new players who will spend money in their gemstore.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@"Fenom.9457" said:Relax, we'll have more details soon. Plus a new expansion is nearly certain after this season so specs then probably

Do you have a single fact to back that up or is this more "hype man" posting where people write Anet's hypothetical roadmap for them?

The more details soon part is a certainty - we'll know more about what's in the prologue episode as it approaches release. We'll likely get a trailer a week before as usual, which will reveal if we're getting a legendary, fractal, raid, or none, and what else may be coming - an armor set, perhaps, or weapons. The expansion afterwards is based on logic and some evidence but not certain of course.

@Menadena.7482 said:

Thank you for thinking you know my office and work routine better than I do. I am in an open office and sitting in the small kitchen (which does not have a wall between it and the workspaces) for 45 minutes with headphones and a phone is not a valid option.

But stepping outside, or at your car, or the local panera, or anywhere else weren't options. Like I said, far be it from me to suggest when to take PTO, but I've been in enough open office environs to know that if you can step away for lunch, you can get away for a quick video stream. But sure, PTO. For a hobby.

Im sorry not going to shill for ncsoft and anet like some of you. They most certainly did make it look like something big was coming, something more than a LWS5. They dont ever go to this extreme just to announce a dang LWS. This backfired i only hope gw2 will recover, and that the devs rethink what they are doing, they are clearly out of touch with the players. The players dont just want LWS , they want new specs new maps new races and expansion, less merch emphasis more on the game itself, pvp/wvw is dying, and while the strike bosses are long overdue as an intro into boss fights for people, they still need raids. Its two years since pof the game needs a big infusion of content. I think its become an echo chamber where all they listen to is the yes men, while the majority slowly dwindles away.

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

But stepping outside, or at your car, or the local panera, or anywhere else weren't options. Like I said, far be it from me to suggest when to take PTO, but I've been in enough open office environs to know that if you can step away for lunch, you can get away for a quick video stream. But sure, PTO. For a hobby.

No, it was not an option. Remember, we are talking nearly an hour, which is far more than my lunch normally takes.

@Menadena.7482 said:

How about that this would be the Next Big Thing (can not be bothered to pull their exact words, look it up yourself) and it was going to be announced at an event in more than a month. In an auditorium. With a countdown clock.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/dont-miss-our-special-announcement-event/

That's the big hype. Nothing about next big thing.

@Menadena.7482 said:

No, it was not an option. Remember, we are talking nearly an hour, which is far more than my lunch normally takes.

Aside from the fact that I too watched it and it clocked in at barely over 30 minutes from start to finish as I remembered looking at my clock and wondering if they cut it short, it still could have been watched while eating lunch. Feels a bit more like manufactured hardship due to the hype not living up to what you thought they might drop during the stream, and while that's unfortunate, it still wasn't on Anet. They delivered what they hinted they'd deliver this time.

I understand your situation anet, the layoffs and everything...

But why? You guys never promote any event, your marketing was non-existant for all these years, and suddenly all this HYPE, the 3 days countdown, and etc etc etc

You gave us HOPE to finally know something about where you wanna go with the deveolpment, and still you guys couldnt even say a date, roadmap or even news about hows going development in stuff like wvw alliances or the future of pvp, raids, fractals, content to do that last more than 1 day living story each many months.

This only make people lose their will to keep enduring the lack of content, but i guess you want to just trade the veterans for new players.

Idk if you guys were forced to do this event by NCSoft or something like that, but you guys need to change your marketing team mentality ASAP because even me, im losing my will to keep playing, and i support this game VERY HARD, trying to justify to my friends and guild why they should stay and have hopes, but i cant do it anymore.

Well, first thing first... Thank You Arenat Net ! As a Norn and to a lesser extant Charr fan, I'm so happy to see the two of them, plus the Far Shiverpeaks at the forefront of the story for the time being ! I'm so happy right now, I just hope they'll really held the spotlight, with the line of Jora, the Blood Legion, the Spirits of the Wild (who did not ditch us like those puny Spirits of Action!) and so much more.

Just, please... No Inquest for the time being, yes ? Good old fashioned drunked Norn, Charrs and Kodans charging against Jormag and her Icebroods !

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:What even are Funko pops?Are they just some chibi-esque figures, or are they containers with sweets in them?

The former. Massively collectible - pretty much every franchise, comic, tv series, film and so forth has tie in Funkos. There are something like 200,000 different ones out there if I remember rightly

I don't think I've ever seen one of those in Germany.

I know nothing about German retailers so I have no idea how widely spread they are there. Here in the UK they are sold by entertainment shops, any "geek" shops, GAME etc and in the US, they are more widely distributed and get more exclusives in place like (I think) Walmart. Most commonly though, people pick them up from conventions across the World and websites.

Not being aggressive and i will try to be respectful.Was way too little too late.I was expecting at least something like ls+ expac or something or at least something to mirror all the hype, and while i will still continue to play the game, i will get bored really soon.

Tbh i was expecting something like LS following by an expac to somewhere.I know, 50€ every 2 years is not that much but....players need always more content than grinding over and over again.

Thank you for what it was till now and sry for my poor English. Not my native lang.