Potential Future Balance Update and Future Plans for Competitive

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World restructuring, commonly referred to as the Alliance system, remains our top priority for WvW. We’re not going into details on this post, since a lot of detail has been released previously. We are still not in a place where we feel comfortable releasing a target date, but we are still working on it.There remain big issues in WvW there are not addressed by World Restructuring. The biggest one is finding a means to make winning mean something in WvW without motivating players to burn themselves out trying to maintain 24/7 coverage. We have some early designs built around this and will be investigating them once World Restructuring is finished so it is a bit too early for us to go into details around the ideas, but we’re thinking about them.

It's been a couple of years since the last alliance update, the only reason there isn't a deadline is because it is nowhere close to completion.. It's pretty obvious this post is simply to keep us hopeful and buy more time till you announce that 'the announcement is just around the corner'.

I love that the updates for WvW are "potential" and "future." You know, just give us enough to hopefully keep us playing but not too much that you'll start taking away from your real business model: gemstore skins. I honestly don't think I've ever resented a company this much.

The Potential Future Balance Changes thread is very good to see. This is what PvP/WvW players would very much support and enjoy in terms of balancing their gamemodes. Also, working with proven, experienced members of their community would go a long way in terms of balancing at the top end as well. Continuing to do things like that frequently (a.k.a. good communication) would easily keep people interested and playing.

Good to know that at least any mount changes such as hp or dismounting has been tossed out the window because it's the latest of feature of WvW that should have the highest priority to properly finish balancing since it's... controversial... introduction. Maybe now people can shut up about it.

Wait is that good?

While we all agree some information is better than no information, this is exactly the issue we've been seeing in these game modes for years. Mentions of ideas for future updates and plans followed by months/years of no mention or activity. It was echoed in the one off line in the presentation, "we'll talk about alliances in the coming months." It's been months since Alliances was announced without a shred of evidence or clarification that it's actually a priority. Meanwhile development keeps pumping out Gemstore and Living World Updates. What we need as a community is some basic timelines and proof that this stuff is actually being given development resources. As it stands, these modes are bleeding players because of lack of visible support. If it's going to take monetization that is fine. I'm sure there are ways that WvW can be monetized and the warclaw skins was a step in that direction. This kind of post is just another slap in the face of the community if it results in just another long silence and empty promises. You can only string the community along for so long before it collapses.

As far as my priority list goes for things that "NEED" work. Alliances and population balance is the biggest thing. Warclaw dismounting which was discussed before needs to be implemented. In it's current state small scale roaming is pretty much dead because you can't dismount. WvW specific balance pass which was mentioned in one of the post would be huge. Once all of those are addressed then you can look at rewards and balance between active defense and offense to bring more players into the game. If just these basic issues were addressed it would go a long way toward stabilizing the wvw community and might actually bring some of the players back.

As a frame of reference this post was the last actual info we received on alliances 8 months ago.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuring/p1

Sure these ideas are a step in a right direction, but honestly they're such small changes that the meta wouldn't change at all. Like Firebrand losing one extra condi cleanse, would that change the meta at all? Not really.

I think there needs to be nerfs to the duration of boons across the board, mainly for stability. Holosmith and Firebrand have no buisness having that much stab with their insane kits already. Also Firebrand really needs the size of their AoEs reduced, and limit the skills to apply to maybe like 3 allies.

I wouldn't consider Firebrand balanced until it's about on equal footing on Tempest. Does Tempest have that much heal on demand, instant boons at the press of a button, and massive AoEs while giving your group stab? These are the things that make Firebrand so good.

Scourge also is bit of a problem. Honestly I'd say reduce the AoEs as well, and maybe reduce the range at which they can place their range. They can be play it too safe, and there's no incentive in their kit for them to leave their zerg and firebrands. They should be much more vulnerable by having to do riskier plays to balance out the amount of output they can do. At this point I think the design of the classes need to be reworked a bit rather then just changing some numbers around.

Thanks for the heads up :)

With regards to announcements, the Devs are in a bit of a no win situation tbh. If they announce stuff early, they get flamed for making no progress. If they wait til it's basically done before announcing it, people have a go at them for not making any meaningful changes. I realise the problem is mostly their own making historically, but you have to remember that a lot of the Devs currently working on the game are probably not the ones that worked on vanilla. Try to remember that they're just people doing their jobs, so by all means voice concerns but remember flaming them doesn't actually accomplish anything constructive in the long run. We've got Devs talking to us now, make the most of that opportunity.

This sounds like the sort of vague 'promises' politicians make before they get into power and then nothing happens or it's booted in to the long grass.

Nothing concrete in there and clearly alliances aren't anywhere on the priority list other than rock bottom with minimal resources being put into it, just another announcement to try and drag people along for another six months.