Why do people like WvW?

mattster.9847

I'm curious. I want to know why people like WvW. I decided to try for the mount just for the sake of having it but it seems like WvW 95% of the time is just running around empty castles and killing key NPCs or giant fights between players that seems to mostly be just people pressing keys until everyone around them dies without much real thought. I just don't really get it so I'm curious if anyone can tell me why it could be fun.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you refer to is “blobbing” it’s the most boring part of wvw, but yet it is the part that anet caters to.Try running around solo or with some friends, and do some small scale combat. (Well it used to be fun, but arenanet killed it some time ago)F

@noot.8641 said:What you refer to is “blobbing” it’s the most boring part of wvw, but yet it is the part that anet caters to.Try running around solo or with some friends, and do some small scale combat. (Well it used to be fun, but arenanet killed it some time ago)F

Yeah, try going solo in an MMO game or small scale that exists in another game mode.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it's boring.

@OP

If you joined the voice chat when you saw a commander, maybe you'll see some of the "real thought". If you were just pressing keys, nobody would die, or maybe you're just on a bad server that doesn't know any better.

@"TheBravery.9615" said:it's not about the ppt

It's about the 20 vs 20 clashes, or the 5 vs 20 clashes- the satisfaction of zergbusting, the satisfaction of destroying your enemy.

Here, conan explains better.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Also to add, it's a far more complex fight environment, unlike PvE which is a moronic dpsfest

Unfortunately wvw is dead so OP will probably never experience this.

@steki.1478 said:Yeah, try going solo in an MMO game or small scale that exists in another game mode.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it's boring.

Yeah, what are you trying to say exactly? That the solo fights or small scale combat is bad in every mmo? I think you never player any mmo seriously.It used to be so good in this game.Running around following a tag, facerolling your keyboard till ppl die, yeah dude, quality fun!

I don't know about others, I play wide varieties of games and many many genres. I do wvw because I just want to war. I think is like dota, fortnite etc. which might be different genres but generally just killing people. So I think if you don't like to kill people in general, then I don't think you will like any genres or mode that involve killing others.

The real deal is fighting other players. WvW at it's best could be massive team vs team vs team warfare. It might be 1v1 or 2v2, small group action. WvW is incredibly variable, you can even try avoiding other players if you want, running back routes, taking sentries, killing supply dolyaks and taking camps.

There is much less pressure than sPvP, and much more variable than fighting purely NPCs in PvE. The big advantage is you can choose how to play, so not everyone will give you the same answer.

It's strategy, build and using the right skills at the right time. The ones that die most don't think enough.

Unfortunately Anet in it's lack of wisdom didn't balance for WvW, a lot of the skills used now are just activate and run your zerg at the enemy. It's a lot like Jurassic Park. "Your scientists (Devs) were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

As others have said, it is more fun fighting players than NPCs. At least for now, most NPCs are quite predictable and unfun once you learn their mechanics. Players on the other hand provide a more satisfying challenge.

In this regard, WvW is better than PvP because WvW is more varied and has many more situations to liven up the experience.

Personally, I like fighting against classes that hard counter mine or players who beat me regularly. And when I lose, I’ll keep trying until they grow bored of fighting me, make mistakes, or give me a win out of pity ?

The longest I tried was against a FA server EV guild Mesmer. Took me 5 years before I finally nicked a win ?

@noot.8641 said:Running around following a tag, facerolling your keyboard till ppl die, yeah dude, quality fun!

It's not any less of a faceroll you do in 1v1 of 5v5. Just because you dont know how to play in large scale, doesnt mean that everyone else is spamming their skills.

Most of roaming builds revolve around casting 3 skills instantly and spamming everything else on cooldown if the target isnt dead already. There's nothing skillful in a casual game.

@steki.1478 said:

@noot.8641 said:Running around following a tag, facerolling your keyboard till ppl die, yeah dude, quality fun!

It's not any less of a faceroll you do in 1v1 of 5v5. Just because you dont know how to play in large scale, doesnt mean that everyone else is spamming their skills.

Most of roaming builds revolve around casting 3 skills instantly and spamming everything else on cooldown if the target isnt dead already. There's nothing skillful in a casual game.

If you say this, you don't do any 1v1's or small scale combat.In 1v1 or small scale, u actually need some skill to kill an enemy.In blobbing, u just follow the tag, u don't need to think, u just listen to what the tag says.I mean, large scale can be fun tho, but without a tag, otherwise it's just Scourge, FB spam all the way. FUN FUNU can say what u want, but i'm sure ppl who actually like to PvP will agree on that.

You build a keep, they tear it down. You have to take revenge and tear down theirs. You build a new keep, they tear it down. You have to take revenge . . .

WvW is just an endless cycle of love, hate and revenge. Its the natural circle of life. You can't just leave the circle of life. You may leave for some time and take a break, but unevitably have to return . . . for revenge and such.

@mattster.9847 said:I'm curious. I want to know why people like WvW. I decided to try for the mount just for the sake of having it but it seems like WvW 95% of the time is just running around empty castles and killing key NPCs or giant fights between players that seems to mostly be just people pressing keys until everyone around them dies without much real thought. I just don't really get it so I'm curious if anyone can tell me why it could be fun.

In a word?

Unpredictability

When was the last time a boss or a mob did something that you didn’t expect and you truly had to react?

Rotations and doing the same thing over and over again is why most of us don’t like PvE as a whole. Memorizing movements, rotations, boss functions etc, is mind numbing to many of us.

Having a warrior, instead of bashing us with a power based spec all of a sudden starts doing massive burn/bleed ticks

The firebrand you expect to need to beat on for 20 minutes and of course will hit like a wet noodle suddenly gets in your grill and starts dishing out significant damage and they start taking 3-4K chunk damage..

The blob you were convinced was going to FK all of a sudden shows up at Earth keep on the east side...

Yes, there are boring elements, but it’s guessing what is going to happen next and reacting to it when it changes.

@noot.8641 said:

If you say this, you don't do any 1v1's or small scale combat.

Yet you spit random facts about blob fights because you've never played those, just seen how they look like.

In 1v1 or small scale, u actually need some skill to kill an enemy.

This heavily depends on the class and build, but as I said, most of them require no skills. Ele and thief are probably the only ones that can be excluded from that majority, but even thief has some of the cheesiest builds in the game.

In blobbing, u just follow the tag, u don't need to think, u just listen to what the tag says.

Wrong. Warrs need good positioning or they are useless. Eles need good positioning and skill rotations or they are useless. Commander cant call every action on every class at the same time so you have to pay attention to what you're casting and when you're casting it. If you just listened to what the comm said, every server would be good at fighting, but that's far from truth.

I mean, large scale can be fun tho, but without a tag, otherwise it's just Scourge, FB spam all the way. FUN FUN

Scourge and FB are in the best case 50% of the organized squad. Bad boon uptime and barrier cast = you're dead. Not enough corrupts on enemy when they push = you're dead. Spam random buttons = you're useless (unless you're playing some foolproof support build like staff tempest).

Large scale fights with no comms are clown fiesta that you like calling random skill spam. Spam stuff from max range and run away when enemy gets close. I like the play style too, but it's far from anything skilled. You're just hoping that your allies arent braindead and know how to cast skills and even then it's just RNG and constant reruns from spawn. When fights are organized you at least know where and when the group damage is happening.

U can say what u want, but i'm sure ppl who actually like to PvP will agree on that.

Ofc pvp people will agree when they like and play 5v5 content. Wvw isnt 5v5 content though.

When I flip an object, it can be defended, or not. If an object defendedsome players defend badly, some defend well.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.That's what I like about it.

There are no savespots like in other areas of the game.

No choreographies that you dance with X players 2 times/week.

It's partly action, partly strategy.

..and some nice blinky, shiny pictures/animations.

I dont give a kitten what do you think about that.

If you say this, you don't do any 1v1's or small scale combat.

Yet you spit random facts about blob fights because you've never played those, just seen how they look like.

How are you so certain i don't know how to play in large scale fights? I've been playing this game from launch, exclusively WvW. What about you?

In 1v1 or small scale, u actually need some skill to kill an enemy.

This heavily depends on the class and build, but as I said, most of them require no skills. Ele and thief are probably the only ones that can be excluded from that majority, but even thief has some of the cheesiest builds in the game.

Every class has cheesy builds, you can say what you want, but in a 1v1 u need skill bro. (to actually win it, from a decent player ofc)

In blobbing, u just follow the tag, u don't need to think, u just listen to what the tag says.

Wrong. Warrs need good positioning or they are useless. Eles need good positioning and skill rotations or they are useless. Commander cant call every action on every class at the same time so you have to pay attention to what you're casting and when you're casting it. If you just listened to what the comm said, every server would be good at fighting, but that's far from truth.

Ofcourse, some classes need good positioning, but how many warriors and ele's are there in a squad :D? I'm not talking about posistioning and pressing 1 skill here, ok?In general u listen to the tag, if tag tells u to stop, u stop. If tag tell u to go, u go. U DON'T NEED A BRAIN FOR THAT.

I mean, large scale can be fun tho, but without a tag, otherwise it's just Scourge, FB spam all the way. FUN FUN

Scourge and FB are in the best case 50% of the organized squad. Bad boon uptime and barrier cast = you're dead. Not enough corrupts on enemy when they push = you're dead. Spam random buttons = you're useless (unless you're playing some foolproof support build like staff tempest).

they make 50% out of the squad, that's A LOT, how many other classes are there in the game xD?

Large scale fights with no comms are clown fiesta that you like calling random skill spam. Spam stuff from max range and run away when enemy gets close. I like the play style too, but it's far from anything skilled. You're just hoping that your allies arent braindead and know how to cast skills and even then it's just RNG and constant reruns from spawn. When fights are organized you at least know where and when the group damage is happening.

In those kinda fights, it takes a lot more individual skill bro. (Which most blobbers don't have)

U can say what u want, but i'm sure ppl who actually like to PvP will agree on that.

Ofc pvp people will agree when they like and play 5v5 content. Wvw isnt 5v5 content though.

When i'm talking about PvP, i'm not talking about sPvP.PvP = player vs player.the 5v5 you are talking about, is sPvP = Structured PvP

In WvW it is more open and suspenseful what happens. In PvE everything is fix, determined before it happen.

To give you an example: If you did it once you know exactly how the Tequatl event happen.But if you attack a keep, you cannot be sure what happen, will the enemy appear? will he appear in force, who get reinforcements in time.You cannot predict that in a match (timezone) that is rather balanced and not empty.

played pvp for years.i liked the stat combinations.so anet removed the stat combinations in pvp and i switched to wvw.i like small duels1 vs 12 vs 2 ( 2vs3 2vs4 )5 vs 510 vs 10i dont like fights larger than 10 vs 10.

i like walking with my charakter, waving the good and the bad guys. Kill them , dont kill them, ignore them run away from them, troll them.Flip some camps, maybe some towers or keeps. Giving enemy positions to my server, beeing the first one defending objects.its the "freedom" of a roamer. ( playing in zerg is like wearing a straightjacket )

Im going to try and be clear here as people think I'm anti mount.

I loved small scale combat and roaming just for fights. That would mean using objectives as bait and then "ganking" the small groups that came to scout. Taking local camps to cut off supply and again to use as bait for more engagements. Because I want to hone my skills on every class I play, I dont want to fight near objectives where NPCs may get in the way wether it be to help me or attack me.So naturally my engagements always happen in those areas in the middle of no where.I love small scale combat, even more so with the introduction of all the power creep. I like knowing that I died because I was the one outplayed. That also means I like winning because I was the one to outplay them. Combat system is fantastic.

Along comes 10k extra health, immunity to CC and 3 evades... Most of my builds were heavily time gated to make and I made several sets all of which do nothing against the mount. I can't engage anyone unless they want too and most don't unless its 4:1 odds.Unfortunately for me it all comes down to my timezone too.. its not as populated as prime so just about everyone playing is considered a roamer.

TLDR: So what do I enjoy about WvW now? Besides the combat systems, it's easy to eat and drink while zerging.. Just follow the group, spam skills and get abysmal loot while chest thumping at the random thief we just chased down in a group.

The comanders on Voice Chat.They keep together the community for WvW and without them the mode is totally dull and boring nowadays.The introduction of mounts killed roaming and smallscale, because most of the time you are not be able to kill the warclaw before its dodges away to the sunset.

Also it has one of the easiest way to get the legy armor, if you are not interested in raids. That acutally brought me to the mode once more (I've quitted shortly before desert map was introduced with rank ~2k) but now as the server declines and our community pillars are leaving for other mmos it starts to be pointless.

@mattster.9847 said:I'm curious. I want to know why people like WvW. I decided to try for the mount just for the sake of having it but it seems like WvW 95% of the time is just running around empty castles and killing key NPCs or giant fights between players that seems to mostly be just people pressing keys until everyone around them dies without much real thought. I just don't really get it so I'm curious if anyone can tell me why it could be fun.

Thats because everyone is leaving the game, a lot of guilds have quit, populations are very low. People die instantly because of poor balance and neglect that has accumulated for years. In its current state only the most dedicated players can tolerate the poor state of wvw.