Disconnects aren’t fun~!

Westenev.5289

I’m sure you’ve been on one side of this fence by now, either one of your team mates or an enemy has gone AFK or DC’ed. Perhaps they come back, perhaps they don’t – but for the rest of the game, you can expect spawn camping or clumps of enemies sitting on mid waiting for you while your team takes a seat on the bleachers waiting for it all to end.

I’m here to say this isn’t fun for anyone involved, and impacts a lot on match quality. Unless you’re into that kind of thing, you kitten kicker you.

But how could we make this more fun, I wonder? Well, we could always hold a gun to the DC’ed guy’s head and drag him back to the game kicking and screaming, right? No? Yeah, I think this is a little impractical too.

So, what can Anet do about this? I have little programming knowledge, so I’m not sure how practical these ideas are, but here’s my two cents for preferable alternatives:

IDEA 1:When a person DC’s, a timer should be set for 2 minutes. Once that timer hits 0, the team with the DC’er will get the option to resign. If they do, the game ends in a mismatch, and everyone’s free to go join a real PvP match.

IDEA 2:When a person DC’s, the opposing team will nominate one person to hit the bleachers. This would allow for a 4v4 match, which would be a lot more ideal for everyone involved.

Whether or not these ideas are practical, I really think something needs to be done to improve match quality under these circumstances.

• 1 year later...

Good suggestions, however IDEA1 would be way too open for abuse if your team is losing because it allows you to avoid rank loss.

Which leaves us with IDEA2, however the process needs to be random in order to keep it fair, and preferably should compensate the "kicked" player somehow. Still would be annoying, but better than the current system.

Isn't the lack of losing points enough?

I've seen and done comebacks from the worst, but to be fair after 2 minutes gone I'm fairly sure that's when the entire team doesn't lose points and can be afk while in a duo, if the afk is part of the group his partner suffers no matter what.

There's no reason to really change anything, if someone leaves for the rest of the game you can try to carry with your team or just sit back and watch something till it's over.

Honestly the biggest problem will always be the people that "stay" and "afk". Those are the ones we need to come up with a solution which is not easy, kicking would be abused to no end and no one has the power to prove that someone was indeed match manipulating.