Why H.P. Lovecraft?

Hylox.9746

is it because that's what's popular in fantasy right now? is it because anet has run out of ideas for the future of gw2 that they have to rip off a dead author's ip? is it both? if the deep sea dragon is really Cthulhu then according to every lovecraftian game then we cannot win and our pcs will just go insane by looking at him. but elder dragons are good for tyria so this means that is gw2 going to be a retelling of Cthulhu saves the world? is there any lore to support cthulhu existing in gw2? if i want to play lovecraftian things then there's a bunch of things on the market already i.e. call of cthulhu, the sinking city, cthulhu saves the world just to name a few. there are also cthulhu themed things in DDO [dungeons and dragons online] so i could go there instead for stuff like that. just what is going on inside the minds of the devs at this point?

Im not understanding what your point is. Cthulhu is not the deep sea dragon nor by any means the definition of Lovecraftian dark fiction.

The style of horror Lovecraft, William Hope Hodgson, Robert E Howard and others eventually popularised is naturally influential in many things involving ancient, mysterious beings. Nothing is being ripped off though here.

GW2 has always had a touch of Lovecraft with its Dragons since the beginning. One could argue GW Nightfall has influences stemming from those writers. Certainly the trailer touches on those feels, but comparisons are almost unavoidable given how deep rooted the influence of early 20thC horror writers is.

So could you clarify the point you are making here?

So, you hear an employee say there will be Lovecraftian elements, and you immediately jump to "Cthulhu is going to be in the game and be a major enemy." Just what is going on inside your mind at this point?

There are already Lovecraft elements in pretty much every game franchise (and many film and literature pieces, as well), including in GW2 (and likely back in GW1). Taking inspiration from that style does not mean they'll be throwing a sanity-sucking, deep sea dwelling squid at us.

@"Hylox.9746" said:is it because that's what's popular in fantasy right now? is it because anet has run out of ideas for the future of gw2 that they have to rip off a dead author's ip? is it both? if the deep sea dragon is really Cthulhu then according to every lovecraftian game then we cannot win and our pcs will just go insane by looking at him. but elder dragons are good for tyria so this means that is gw2 going to be a retelling of Cthulhu saves the world? is there any lore to support cthulhu existing in gw2? if i want to play lovecraftian things then there's a bunch of things on the market already i.e. call of cthulhu, the sinking city, cthulhu saves the world just to name a few. there are also cthulhu themed things in DDO [dungeons and dragons online] so i could go there instead for stuff like that. just what is going on inside the minds of the devs at this point?

Do you know what “inspired by” means?

Where do you equate having Lovecraft inspired stuff as “ripping off a dead author’s ip”?

Also, there are a ton of elements to books, movies, games, art... you name it, that draw ideas and inspiration from other existing ideas, sources, history, religion... everything.

So what do you think of Lovecraft’s sources of inspiration? Should we call Lovecraft a rip-off author who used the “ip” of Edgar Allan Poe, Algernon Blackwood and Lord Dunsany?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraftian_horror

“Lovecraft refined this style of storytelling into his own mythos that involved a set of supernatural, pre-human, and extraterrestrial elements. His work was inspired by and similar to previous authors such as Edgar Allan Poe, Algernon Blackwood and Lord Dunsany.”

@Randulf.7614 said:Im not understanding what your point is. Cthulhu is not the deep sea dragon nor by any means the definition of Lovecraftian dark fiction.

But he resides in the ocean, no? ;)

@Hylox.9746 said:Why H.P. Lovecraft?

I believe a reference to Lovecraft is only used here to discribe the darker nature of the story that is lying ahead. I doubt there will be any direct parallels to his work.

Since Aurene introduction, or to be precise, the Tarir introduction, the history goes too much on babysiting and "cute stuff". its seems a problem that haunts more on LS episodes than expansions, then a more "lovecraftian approach" would help mend this. I hope Taimmi die and also that we arent see Aurene anytime soon. The last thing i wanted on a adventure crew is a child/adolescent or a "cute pet" around.

Are you referring to what was said in the live stream? As I understood it that was 1 developer saying the appearance of 1 boss was inspired by Lovecraft's monsters. Nothing to do with the story and absolutely no suggestion that everything in the game from this point on would be inspired by Lovecraft's stories.

Ok so i have issues with some of the announcement but lovcraftian anything isnt it. Its cool to see games add in bosses and themes related to Lovecraft, its like an homage to him. WoW has whole sections of the game dedicated to lovecraft and its truly awesome.

@"Arzurag.7506" said:so far, no explicit lovecraftian aspects are in this game, though i would love to see some

I agree!!

look how deep it is in wow and its great so much lovecraft lolgo 6 min in for my favorite

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I am confused. What this have to do with GW2? Somebody explain

Elder Dragons, especially Bubbles, share many characteristics of Elder Gods from the work of H.P. Lovecraft. Generally being super powerful forces that are above mortal comprehension. The fear of the unknown and feeling inconsequential to the grand scheme of things was the primary focus of much of his work. However, I'd argue this fits Abbadon far more. By the way, fhtagn.

I'm just going to say this: if you think that GW2 is now ripping off Lovecraft, you might that they always ripped off J. R. R. Tolkien, seeing that most of today's definition of fantasy comes from his works, and many of those elements have always been in this game. Tolkien and Lovecraft are the founding fathers of today's approach on their respective genres. No one is getting "ripped off."

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I am confused. What this have to do with GW2? Somebody explain

They mentioned at the announcement that there was some new stuff that would kinda feel like Lovecraft and have a nod toward that. I guess the op didnt like that idea. Personally i love it.

I think it's important to remember that what they said was that one boss looked a bit like a Lovercraftian creature, not that his stories would have any influence on the story of GW2 or even that other bosses would use the same theme.

I'm not sure why the OP is taking that to mean the entire game will be a copy of Lovecraft's stories from this point on, but I'm concerned that in a month or so we're going to see people complaining that Anet promised us the new season would be inspired by HP Lovercraft and feature a much darker storyline with Cthulhu as a major new villain and that's not what we're going to get.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:I am confused. What this have to do with GW2? Somebody explain

They mentioned at the announcement that there was some new stuff that would kinda feel like Lovecraft and have a nod toward that. I guess the op didnt like that idea. Personally i love it.

I think it's important to remember that what they said was that one boss looked a bit like a Lovercraftian creature, not that his stories would have any influence on the story of GW2 or even that other bosses would use the same theme.

I'm not sure why the OP is taking that to mean the entire game will be a copy of Lovecraft's stories from this point on, but I'm concerned that in a month or so we're going to see people complaining that Anet promised us the new season would be inspired by HP Lovercraft and feature a much darker storyline with Cthulhu as a major new villain and that's not what we're going to get.

I kinda wish they would enter a new chapter of that old one feel lol. I love HP Lovecraft and any game that adds those influences is okay in my book. Honestly though it does look like they are taking a dark turn, and thats really cool . If you watch the cinematic you see the charr crumbling to ash from a fire blast in his hand that dies also is what looks like a baby charr or baby skyscale. Its grim but it adds to the overall feel of the story atmosphere.

Go 17 seconds in you see what i mean.

@"Hylox.9746" said:is it because that's what's popular in fantasy right now? is it because anet has run out of ideas for the future of gw2 that they have to rip off a dead author's ip? is it both? if the deep sea dragon is really Cthulhu then according to every lovecraftian game then we cannot win and our pcs will just go insane by looking at him. but elder dragons are good for tyria so this means that is gw2 going to be a retelling of Cthulhu saves the world? is there any lore to support cthulhu existing in gw2? if i want to play lovecraftian things then there's a bunch of things on the market already i.e. call of cthulhu, the sinking city, cthulhu saves the world just to name a few. there are also cthulhu themed things in DDO [dungeons and dragons online] so i could go there instead for stuff like that. just what is going on inside the minds of the devs at this point?

Were you as outraged when you found out GW2 uses "mithril"?

Lovecraft has been popular for decades now, it's not recent.

GW2 already has relevant influences. Zhaitan's Orr has strong Lovecraftian vibes

You are taking it too literally. I seriously doubt they will add unthinkable horrors that will drive our character crazy in the game. Most of the time this mention indicates a plot about a cult worshiping some mysterious entity.