Nobody Discussing the Announced Potential Future Balance Changes?

Virtuality.8351

Or I just missed it?

Revenant

• Coalescence of Ruin: This skill would no longer deals increased damage with successive impacts; instead it deals damage equal to what was previously the middle impact damage. Damage remains split between game modes. A red warning rectangle visible to enemies has been added to this skill.
  • Gaze of Darkness: This skill would reveal stealthed enemies up to 600 range away in addition to striking enemies within its 360 radius.

I am so against the Coalescence of Ruin change.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I might as well just copy and paste my original assessment under the thread.

Personally I'd be sad to see this change implemented. The entire point of Revenant (or more specifically, Power Herald) in a group is its long range non-projectile damage pressure, with which nothing else comes close, and now you are killing it. Just do not touch it if you still want to see this class relevant.The red rectangle for better visual indicator would not help much in practice since A. the field does not pulse, B. there is only a one second time frame between the first impact and the third, C. the first and the second impacts in an actual combat scenario will be covered up by all other AoE flying all over, around and between, reducing it to mere visual noise, and D. it would look similar to Dragon Banner AoE, causing people to make wrong judgement.

Yeah very much against these changes as well. There’s no need to rework the entire skill to be “2nd impact damage” when they can just reduce the 3rd impact damage to be equal to 2nd impact in WvW only. 3rd impact damage is still beneficial in PvE and pvp (when hammer gets used, lol) so they shouldn’t rework the whole skill. There are fewer scenarios where getting higher “close impact” damage is helpful in any mode so its not a buff at all either since it reduces the overall purpose and function of the hammer. If you’re in 0-400 range with hammer it’s usually time to swap to your melee set so it’s not like the increased close damage will even be used that much.

I dont really have much to say about CoR, but the Gaze of Darkness change seems a bit excessive. I mean if the change goes through, it will be a nice addition, but 600 radius is quite large. To land the reveal now requires fairly smart use of it, and 600 just makes it more mindless. The skill is already quite good as is.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:I dont really have much to say about CoR, but the Gaze of Darkness change seems a bit excessive. I mean if the change goes through, it will be a nice addition, but 600 radius is quite large. To land the reveal now requires fairly smart use of it, and 600 just makes it more mindless. The skill is already quite good as is.

Just for reference: I believe the application of the effect can be mitigated with Blinding, Evasion, Block/Aegis and Invulnerability.

Better tools to actively counter stealth and make the combat more dynamic instead of a one-sided hunt is always welcomed.

@Virtuality.8351 said:

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:I dont really have much to say about CoR, but the Gaze of Darkness change seems a bit excessive. I mean if the change goes through, it will be a nice addition, but 600 radius is quite large. To land the reveal now requires fairly smart use of it, and 600 just makes it more mindless. The skill is already quite good as is.

Just for reference: I believe the application of the effect can be mitigated with Blinding, Evasion, Block/Aegis and Invulnerability.

Yes you are correct (not positive about block/aegis...I should know this), but this is part of what makes it require a certain level of skill to use. Those listed things will still exist, but it just makes it an easier skill to use, which I don't think it needs. Guessing if a thief, for example, is still in range is part of the challenge in using the skill.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

Yes you are correct (not positive about block/aegis...I should know this), but this is part of what makes it require a certain level of skill to use. Those listed things will still exist, but it just makes it an easier skill to use, which I don't think it needs. Guessing if a thief, for example, is still in range is part of the challenge in using the skill.

I happen to have a rather different assessment on the need of such buff. In a 1 v 1 or small scale combat scenario, to cast Gaze of Darkness preemptively to me means to forfeit a Stun Break (out of three in total usually) in exchange for the chance to active pursue and counter-pressure my opponent lurking nearby. It is crucial for me that the effect lands, so that the counter-pressure could be successfully executed, or otherwise I'd become more prone to CC, particularly when Legend swap/invocation is still on CD, albeit being short. Factoring in that, I do not think the skill is a cast-and-done solution, but a double-edged utility that requires consideration before being deployed.

We aren't talking about it much because we know that these changes are already slated to be implemented. These aren't potential changes, they are upcoming changes. That's why Irenio is asking us how we feel instead of giving feedback overall on our profession.

I don't like the changes. They're nerfing hammer everywhere to deal with WvW strength. That is a bad idea overall.

After the showcase of the last Friday became pristine clear that ANet doesn't really care about WvW/PvP and feels absolute no hurry to enhance those game modes or provide content for them.

That's reciprocal and I'll vote with my wallet: I no longer feel myself compeled to invest money in a game which doesn't suits my likes. Now my ultimate goal is to finish the Shinning Blade, and that's unafected by skill balance changes. They can delete the hammer (and the whole class) as far as I care.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Catchyfx.5768" said:Hammer is used only in WvW .

What makes you think that?When I play my Revenant, I use Hammer on everything that doesn't punish you for being at range.

WvW's Rev hammer is currently the only hammer which is meta in the entire game. Sure you can use a Scrapper bruiser build in PvP and works, but is nowhere as powerful as the Holosmith, and you can find some WvW Warriors using GS + hammer, but their survability is way lower than Warriors wielding shields. That makes Rev's hammer the "best in slot" choice for a single portion of the game, and the only hammer which really has presence in the game. There's also no build replacement for hammer Rev if becomes weak enough: zergs will change to "more Necros" or "more Eles" if Rev loses its role as AoE burst dealer. Hammer is terrible in PvE in terms of both sustained damage and burst damage; the only reason I use it sometimes is due the game being DX9 and so weak handling large player number in open PvE events it grants you safety and hits in the boss when the fps fall bellow 20. But completing maps with a sword + sword power build or a mace + axe + short bow condi build is way faster than using the hammer due how awfull is in terms of damage and how painfully slow feels, specially once Impossible Odds combat speed got neutered. I used to like the hammer, but currently feels like fighting underwater (except underwater Rev does a lot more damage). Anyway, as I said: they can just delete the weapon: is "only· used in WvW and they no longer support that game mode.

@Virtuality.8351 said:

@Clownmug.8357 said:It's funny how much attention CoR gets when its peak performance is only reached while fighting in a group of 30+ players.

I understand the weapon shines in combat between medium to large groups. Though any particular reason for the number '30', or it was nothing specific and just a rough estimation?

Just a rough estimate of whatever amount of players where visual effects become cluttered and it gets more difficult to see CoR's animation.

Hammer is trash weapon tbh. Face reality, its just used to spam CoR. Take it away and you are left with.. what?

Anet simply cant balance slow weapons anyway cuz they refuse to back them up with proper damage to boot. Reaper gs is perfect example of it. Given how slow that weapon is it should be doing at least 70% more damage rn.

There was no reason to risk the use, reveals were often landed as you knew where the person would have landed after an evade/leap or you used an after cast that indicates/puts you where the person was.

This range now gives an incentive to actually use it for the reveal around say a deadeye that's been perma stealthing for 2 minutes. Most of the time, you can't land the reveal even if you know where they are because the radius is so small and you have no time to reach where they are.

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:Hammer is trash weapon tbh. Face reality, its just used to spam CoR. Take it away and you are left with.. what?

Anet simply cant balance slow weapons anyway cuz they refuse to back them up with proper damage to boot. Reaper gs is perfect example of it. Given how slow that weapon is it should be doing at least 70% more damage rn.

You're generous, Reaper damage as I started to play it recently is quite high. Being able to time guaranteed critical 7k Gravedigger's per hit after some kitting and the possibility to spam given I planned my shot at someone's sustain. It's deadly as hell.

CoR as I would agree is trash in scenario's that aren't huge maps, but Phase Smash if you use like Full Counter or a Parry provides good sustain and some nasty damage if using Sigil of Intelligence, almost equal to deathstrike. Drop The Hammer is more like a niche that enjoys Quickness better, it's quite satisfying to time right IMO.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:I just hope they didn't forget about Shield because since it got Condi cleanse they called it a day.

Eh, I know I already shared my thoughts on that to you but Shield is in a pretty decent spot right now other than the clunky 4th skill.