Can the inquest be considered a cult?

Rico.6873

That depends on your definition of cult. They are not a religious group by any stretch of the meaning of that term, so if the definition you go by requires a religious basis then, no, they are not a cult.However, if you go by Steven Hassan's BITE model - with BITE standing for Behaviour Control, Information Control, Thought Control and Emotional Control - they score on quite a few points of the suggested checklist, so personally, I think it would be fair to describe the Inquest as a research organisation with cult-like qualities. I would suggest you google this model and check it against what you know about the inquest and decide for yourself wether you want to call them a cult or not. Cheers, mate! :)

hmm They were created due to the heavy loss of knowledge when old asuran cities fell, I think that's why they are now tenacious to build the biggest amount of knowledge as they can even through torturing and experimenting. Not really a cult I see it more as a cafeteria of villains, where most of the employees have the same ideas: Spoiling other project, sabotage, spying, betting on deaths, it's a common thing and appear just to be normal within members. Employees also like a lot to kill/discredit their superiors if they criticize or annoy them. I just think it's just a bunch of asura who like mad-laughing, conspiring and steal other inventions.

Yes Sons of svanir are a cult, yeah nightmare court is kinda a sect embodying violence, bandits are kinda free and follow orders and like doing bad actions.Same for separatist and renegade. Flame legion is a cult too.

But Inquest.... Frankly not convinced, they praise what? Eternal Alchemy? Nah it's just mad scientists enjoying creating mayhem everywhere.Some along the ranks are real psychopath, remembering how many deaths a golem caused, sad to put it to bin for new generation...They just lead research following the orders from above. They are researching on dragons because it's one of the greatest threat against their labs, for me they are definitely preparing all their network to be 100% safe to avoid a cataclysm like quora sum.

I'm more and more intrigued by the possibly mind-twisted leader of the organization, does it simply pick some topics he likes and then order everyone to work on them?Finally, Inquest is just Priory BIS, sure they aren't following ethic, but because of that they have accumulated a ton of data about anything. They are now able to control any dragon minion if they want, what they don't do it? Why not invading with airships? Well it's not their goals, as said before they just like experimenting, alone without anybody annoying them.

It's just a knowledge factory, anybody in bad health condition is exterminated (Not succeeding in daily cognitive/visual assessment as example), they want the best production possible, they just want gigabits of data, they even ask dying members to give their corpses for further studies....

• 2 weeks later...

the definition of "cult" is vague in itself... most "villain groups", are kind robotic, monothematic for narrative reasons, so they seems a cult in a way or another, but not in religious "sense" of term.

a exception could be centaurs, theres so many groups and interests beyond the "we hate humans" and perhaps the nightmare court. while the others: inquest, svanir are more "robotic" with a monothematic motivation.

As Locce said at the top of the thread, not all cults are necessarily 'religious' (and not all (or even most) religions are cults). A true cult follows certain criteria, most of which being the ways the cult controls its members. That said I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to say whether or not the Inquest is a cult. I don't thinks its a guild as Dawlder seems to imply, while what within GW Lore defines what is and is not a guild, surely not every organization in Tyria falls under the term.

Given how often the Inquest pop up, I think the "good" asura might be the odd ones out, and Inquest is simply the natural state of asura society without any niceness to get along with everyone else. Even a lot of the non-Inquest asura we meet are more than willing to casually put others in danger for their experiments. Inquest are just more willing to cause direct harm, and to employ backstabbing to see their research through. Grabbing fame for someone else's work just means that they get more of their own projects done in the future.