Could Vlast be a better candidate than Aurene?

DonArkanio.6419

@lakdav.3694 said:Hmm, okay, let's say it goes like that then. Vlast and Aurene are both alive then, as well as the Commander. Nobody needs to be sacrificed. Joko is not antagonized in the Domain of the Lost, and somehow he doesn't look immediately for an excuse to go aggressive on Tyria. Vlast eats up some of Balthazar's magic, Kralkatorrik eats up the rest, and maybe Aurene gets some from half a world away. Vlast beats Kralkatorrik with the Pact in Thunderhead (or even sooner with the first Dragonsblood spear. Vlast ascends to replace Kralkatorrik in the All. Where does this leave Aurene? She doesn't get much from either Balthazar, or Kralkatorrik. Maybe Vlast would selflessly share the magic of Zhaitan, Mordremoth and what Balthazar sucked away from Jormag and Primordus, with Aurene to help manage it. How ready would she be to take anything without the path she went through, and how relevant would season2-3 feel, if Vlast just swooped in at the start of PoF and drew all the plot relevance that was previously built up for Aurene?I think it would be very confusing and disappointing for anyone who never knew about a first scion... basically anyone who haven't played that one last challenge mission in GW1- Eye of the North where Vlast was introduced … as Gleam… basically just sitting around.

I don't think it would steal Aurene's plot relevance- quite the opposite, I think they could have framed it so that Aurene was in a much better place to deal with the next Elder Dragon than the version we got was to deal with Kralk. Instead of giving her a character arc where her important moments were all fleeing or having conversations offscreen that we weren't privy to, they could've taken the time for the Commander (and Caithe, if they still wanted her) to work with Aurene to try to figure out how to follow in Vlast's footsteps. Instead of having her abruptly shoot to higher power levels because that's what the time crunch required, we could have had a more even progression, with ElderVlast modulating as needed. We wouldn't have been faced with a situation where a 20,000+ year old monstrosity who's become more powerful than any entity we've ever heard of in the lore had to be taken down by a three year old with about a year's worth of actual combat experience. And, knowing that the world can survive with four dragons, with Kralk dead and Primordus and Jormag in a state where ANet can decide to send them back into hibernation, that could've meant Aurene's ascension upon Bubbles' demise could also mark the end of the Elder Dragon plot, which would nicely tie the main story arc at launch and what they're describing as the main story arc now into one package.

Although I did like what they did with Vlast. It's an angle on character death we don't often see, and it worked well with the character they established for him. In hindsight, I think the ideal would've been to have Glint around instead of killing her off practically before they'd started... never did understand that choice.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:Although I did like what they did with Vlast. It's an angle on character death we don't often see, and it worked well with the character they established for him. In hindsight, I think the ideal would've been to have Glint around instead of killing her off practically before they'd started... never did understand that choice.

Rather agree there. I've kind of felt like the plot of Edge of Destiny is what the GW2 launch storyline should have been. Except for the downright devastating failure. It just felt weird to make Glint such a critical figure in the plot, who manages to still involve herself periodically, well after killing her off. And it always seemed like a bad move to kill an Elder Dragon right away - putting one into a temporary hibernation for it to wake later (e.g., Season 3's outcome) would have been better for a first plot.

• 2 weeks later...

@starhunter.6015 said:I wonder if we will ever see a revived Risen Vlast from Aurene so he could be come a new ED or general.

Given Vlast exploded himself to force Balthazar back, I feel this is unlikely. But Kralkatorrik put together an exploded Shatterer so it isn't beyond the realm of impossibility.

A Risen Glint might be more likely though, given Vlast's depression.