Gw2 is a casual pve game

I feel that a lot of people need to move on. The focus of this game has been on casual pve for years, and will never move back to pvp. Proper class balance, a fix to power creep, new content, it will all never come. I think its been made very clear, the only new things to come will be cash shop items and living world. These promises about swiss tournaments, 2v2/3v3, wvw alliances etc. will do nothing to improve gameplay. Its sad to see gw2 go down this path but there is nothing we can do or say to change it.

When launched, it was not sold to me as a only pve focus game. This was a PvP guild wars focus MMO. What the kitten?Same thing happen to WoW. The company bow down the pve casual's & removed anything remotely competitive or considered to hard.Bringing back the WoW classic at it's original pvp open world core even with the broken stuff is actually the best idea. Why, cuz it get's your blood boiling.Only the fluff casual's don't enjoy this type. Except the ones liking competitive play is the majority.

@"Vieux P.1238" said:When launched, it was not sold to me as a only pve focus game. This was a PvP guild wars focus MMO. What the kitten?Same thing happen to WoW. The company bow down the pve casual's & removed anything remotely competitive or considered to hard.Bringing back the WoW classic at it's original pvp open world core even with the broken stuff is actually the best idea. Why, cuz it get's your blood boiling.Only the fluff casual's don't enjoy this type. Except the ones liking competitive play is the majority.

I remember early days too.... This game was advertised as a casual, no grind game that would allow to you go strait to the end game content being WvW. (probably why we had such a good population.)Anet would advertise the game with 3 separate modes to enjoy aswell, focus of the game wasn't purely PvE. People mostly only played PvE back then to acquire stats for WvW oddly enough. I remember WvW guilds camping out on a bugged Orr Event with Spiders farming MATS to sell for Siege then we would also do Donation Walks and events for our home servers and the 'PvE" community would back the WvW community by donating to commanders and wishing the server the best of luck in the match up, the game was pretty much centered around WvW. Commanders would make out calls to the community when in trouble and the "PvE" players would temporarily come in to WvW for half hour to defend the home world keep from enemy servers. Amazing times actually, having a community of players that dabbled in everything to come together to defend their home world.

Seems like end game content is repeatable hearts and endless grind now or something that requires a heavy time gate in PvE.

• Sparkles and Rainbows.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Vieux P.1238" said:When launched, it was not sold to me as a only pve focus game. This was a PvP guild wars focus MMO. What the kitten?Same thing happen to WoW. The company bow down the pve casual's & removed anything remotely competitive or considered to hard.Bringing back the WoW classic at it's original pvp open world core even with the broken stuff is actually the best idea. Why, cuz it get's your blood boiling.Only the fluff casual's don't enjoy this type. Except the ones liking competitive play is the majority.

I remember early days too.... This game was advertised as a casual, no grind game that would allow to you go strait to the end game content being WvW. (probably why we had such a good population.)Anet would advertise the game with 3 separate modes to enjoy aswell, focus of the game wasn't purely PvE. People mostly only played PvE back then to acquire stats for WvW oddly enough. I remember WvW guilds camping out on a bugged Orr Event with Spiders farming MATS to sell for Siege then we would also do Donation Walks and events for our home servers and the 'PvE" community would back the WvW community by donating to commanders and wishing the server the best of luck in the match up, the game was pretty much centered around WvW. Commanders would make out calls to the community when in trouble and the "PvE" players would temporarily come in to WvW for half hour to defend the home world keep from enemy servers. Amazing times actually, having a community of players that dabbled in everything to come together to defend their home world.

Seems like end game content is repeatable hearts and endless grind now or something that requires a heavy time gate in PvE.
  • Sparkles and Rainbows.

when you disappear from the forums sometimes for a while, are you being banned?

is that why the whole sparkles and rainbows thing you got going on?

(i'm about to be banned lol)

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

• Sparkles and Rainbows.

when you disappear from the forums sometimes for a while, are you being banned?

is that why the whole sparkles and rainbows thing you got going on?

(i'm about to be banned lol)

This is a friendly environment :D

• Sparkles and Rainbows.

with megaservers, noone has server pride anymore. we use to get stat bonus in all game modes (cept pvp) based on how our wvw server performed.

Now pve players dont care and wouldnt encourage their wvw server guild.

Heck when the stat bonus got removed, you had pve players demanding to continue to get the bonus stats because they had become accustomed to them. Needed them to fight their practice dummies world boss

@Vieux P.1238 said:When launched, it was not sold to me as a only pve focus game. This was a PvP guild wars focus MMO. What the kitten?Same thing happen to WoW. The company bow down the pve casual's & removed anything remotely competitive or considered to hard.Bringing back the WoW classic at it's original pvp open world core even with the broken stuff is actually the best idea. Why, cuz it get's your blood boiling.Only the fluff casual's don't enjoy this type. Except the ones liking competitive play is the majority.

Actually it was sold as a PvE focus game. Anet said directly, the spent a year talking about PvE before getting into PvP because they didn't want people to believe this game centered on PvP. It never did. Not once. Not ever. More to the point, even Guild Wars 1 stopped centering on PvP torward the end, when it was originally designed as a PvP game. If you don't think Anet learned there lesson back then, not sure what else I can tell you.

This game has always been advertised with the slogan a living breathing world. That's what Anet talked about. That's what Anet had panels about at cons. That was what the game was advertised as. They did mention PvP and WvW from time to time, but the bulk of their talking time and talking points was PvE.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Vieux P.1238 said:When launched, it was not sold to me as a only pve focus game. This was a PvP guild wars focus MMO. What the kitten?Same thing happen to WoW. The company bow down the pve casual's & removed anything remotely competitive or considered to hard.Bringing back the WoW classic at it's original pvp open world core even with the broken stuff is actually the best idea. Why, cuz it get's your blood boiling.Only the fluff casual's don't enjoy this type. Except the ones liking competitive play is the majority.

Actually it was sold as a PvE focus game. Anet said directly, the spent a year talking about PvE before getting into PvP because they didn't want people to believe this game centered on PvP. It never did. Not once. Not ever. More to the point, even Guild Wars 1 stopped centering on PvP torward the end, when it was originally designed as a PvP game. If you don't think Anet learned there lesson back then, not sure what else I can tell you.

This game has always been advertised with the slogan a living breathing world. That's what Anet talked about. That's what Anet had panels about at cons. That was what the game was advertised as. They did mention PvP and WvW from time to time, but the bulk of their talking time and talking points was PvE.

One of the aspects mentioned over and over was pvp e-sports. Which became true for a while, until everyone realized it hadn't potential and was a fail.

I honestly don't know why we can't have both. Why is everybody saying "Oh.. this game was advertised as a casual PvE game - therefore you are not allowed to request improvement on their also existing PvP modes, which they even wanted to push as far as establishing a eSport scene".This just doesn't make sense at all imo.Either care for your game as a whole or just dump the stuff you don't want to succeed imo.

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

One of the aspects mentioned over and over was pvp e-sports. Which became true for a while, until everyone realized it hadn't potential and was a fail.

Mentioned is not a focus. How many years did it take for that to even come about?

@Vayne.8563 said:

Mentioned is not a focus. How many years did it take for that to even come about?

Not a focus yet it was used to advertise and sell the game. Some people bought the game solely because of this, of course most of them left by now.

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Not a focus yet it was used to advertise and sell the game. Some people bought the game solely because of this, of course most of them left by now.

If most have left, there's nothing really to talk about. They're not here and the people who the game is focusing on are. That's the group that Anet has clearly focused on the most for the longest time. I guess I wonder if there were ever really the numbers of PvPers or hard core players that some seem to believe.

@Vayne.8563 said:

What lesson?

In sales - copies sold GW1 equals if not surpasses GW2...as a pvp games....odd.

Seems like they missed the lesson.

Many players came in thinking that GW2 would be a better GW1.

The manifesto doesn't indicate what you are saying, at all.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto/

There are plenty of other articles, i could go to wikipedia and link them, but it seems they wanted to sell it on all 3 points.

Living story came out, like 8 months after the game released?

Also about midway through season one, the game saw an exodus.

A decent revival around the ESL period....hmmm...I wonder why?

I have seen many comment that the game was probably meant to end considering how the last season finale went, also they had moved onto "other projects" (cancelled, supposedly).

Now, here we are no expansion in sight, with only free saga and gem stores sales to keep the game going. Buy POF get HOT free...nothing for the players already here to spend there money on really.

Notice in the manifesto they said 150 employees?

That's less than we even have now after the layoffs, and content is this slow?

Think they are back on other projects?

Even if they just keep the same game mode, the really, really need to prioritize the frequent tournaments and wvw if onlyu living story is left.

Younger players are not really going to be drawn in by what older folks are into, at least not in the numbers the game needs.

Kids are interested in competitive games.

Guild wars 2 has the combat system to support this and bring more people into the game.

Considering where they are and what they did this year....

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

What lesson?

Ummm, do you really believe that? Let's check. It took Guild Wars 1 a lot longer to get 7 million sales and that wasn't sales for each item but all their items. When they said Guild Wars sold 6 million copies they didn't say Prophecies sold six million copies. This game had 4 million preorders. On top of that, a dev said, there were more people playing PvP in this game (after everyone said everyone left) that have ever played Guild Wars 1. Yes that was said by a dev.

On top of that, if PvP was so strong in Guild Wars 1, why did the development over time drift away from it. In the past devs have said we designed PvP to be the original end game, but we didn't realize how many people just wanted to play content in the world. Factions, the 2nd game, was the LAST game they included PvP modes. Neither Nightfall or Eye of the North included anything for PvP. Moving forward from there they came out with Guild Wars Beyond which was also all PvE. They learned their lessons.

The difference between us and Anet is that they have the metrics on how many players are playing what. We don't.

@Vayne.8563 said:

What lesson?

Ummm, do you really believe that? Let's check. It took Guild Wars 1 a lot longer to get 7 million sales and that wasn't sales for each item but all their items. When they said Guild Wars sold 6 million copies they didn't say Prophecies sold six million copies. This game had 4 million preorders. On top of that, a dev said, there were more people playing PvP in this game (after everyone said everyone left) that have ever played Guild Wars 1. Yes that was said by a dev.

On top of that, if PvP was so strong in Guild Wars 1, why did the development over time drift away from it. In the past devs have said we designed PvP to be the original end game, but we didn't realize how many people just wanted to play content in the world. Factions, the 2nd game, was the LAST game they included PvP modes. Neither Nightfall or Eye of the North included anything for PvP. Moving forward from there they came out with Guild Wars Beyond which was also all PvE. They learned their lessons.

The difference between us and Anet is that they have the metrics on how many players are playing what. We don't.

It took 3 years to get to 6 million, development/bnalances were active up until 2011...thats not bad. Don;t make up stuff.

Why the layoffs? Why are they making less yoy? Why haven't they started on an expansion which has always boosted sales?

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

What lesson?

It took 3 years to get to 6 million, development/bnalances were active up until 2011...thats not bad. Don;t make up stuff.

Why the layoffs? Why are they making less yoy? Why haven't they started on an expansion which has always boosted sales?

Blizzard had layoffs you don't say their game isn't doing well. Sometimes layoffs have nothing to do with what you think they do. Most of the people laid off WERE NOT WORKING ON GUILD WARS 2. That's what was said, and I have no reason to believe that's not true. Do you know how much money this game makes a quarter? Over 12 million dollars. This is a thriving game.

Anet started trying to do side projects that didn't get off the ground. Are you aware that there aren't much fewer Anet employess now than at launch. They hired an addition hundred people and laid off like a hundred and forty, most of whom were not working on Guild Wars 2. They moved some devs that weren't working on Guild Wars 2 back to Guild Wars 2. Anet did have layoffs. They weren't focused on Guild Wars 2 however.

Do you realize both the Secret World and Star Wars Tor had much bigger layoffs much sooner after their game was launched.

This is a game that's 7 years old, it has no console version and it's still one of the premiere MMOs of the last decade. I think you really need to look at the market more, tbh.

ESO didn't start pulling ahead until the came out with a console version. This game, considering who it's competing against is doing very well.

@Vayne.8563 said:

What lesson?

Blizzard had layoffs you don't say their game isn't doing well. Sometimes layoffs have nothing to do with what you think they do. Most of the people laid off WERE NOT WORKING ON GUILD WARS 2. That's what was said, and I have no reason to believe that's not true. Do you know how much money this game makes a quarter? Over 12 million dollars. This is a thriving game.

Anet started trying to do side projects that didn't get off the ground. Are you aware that there aren't much fewer Anet employess now than at launch. They hired an addition hundred people and laid off like a hundred and forty, most of whom were not working on Guild Wars 2. They moved some devs that weren't working on Guild Wars 2 back to Guild Wars 2. Anet did have layoffs. They weren't focused on Guild Wars 2 however.

Do you realize both the Secret World and Star Wars Tor had much bigger layoffs much sooner after their game was launched.

This is a game that's 7 years old, it has no console version and it's still one of the premiere MMOs of the last decade. I think you really need to look at the market more, tbh.

ESO didn't start pulling ahead until the came out with a console version. This game, considering who it's competing against is doing very well.

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx

So I look at this report.

Is lineage 2 ( a 16 year old game), making 3 x what GW2 is?

From what I can see about ESO they are making about the same as Lineage 2.

WoW makes about 10x that.

What does thriving mean?

I notice that 2 quarters after each expansion, revenue for Anet 2.5x (about triples).

Seems it beefed up during ESL too.

I think the absolute focus on PVE is a mistake, or they are doing it because they are developing something else.

Many have said 2 hours of content every 3-4 months is simply not enough.

Expansions please everyone, because even if it messes up balance, new specs-skils-weapons add new content to every mode.

Story is nice, but somehow some way they have to bring in more specs, skills, and changes that significantly impact all game modes.

The story tells their STORY, but how does it really help the WHOLE game?

It doesn't.

It doesn't make any meaningful impact that spreads throughout the who game like new elites, new skills, new expansions.

Gliding changed 2 modes, mounts have as well.

Specs, professions, and reworks change all modes.

Saying someone in PVP spends no money is ignorant.

I buy expansions and I buy gems with real money to get cosmetic items.

What other money does PVE give?

ONly larger quantity, which is believable for sure.

But, at what percent?

PvPers that stick with the game and do PVE, might only be here because PVP or WvW. If those go to dead mode, they might leave.

What might that do?

A large chunk, perhaps more than the PVE group wants to admit, of the PVE group has only stuck around because of the WvW and PvP.

You say, these guys and us who only normally do competitive leave, then something stinky will hit the fan.

I know many people who are PVP mains, but they do enough PVE to want to show off very expesnive and prestigious infusions.

They have decided to put GW2 on the shelf because their favorite game modes are in maintenance mode.

I want PVE to get content.

But, is it so risky just to grind out the new tourney system, and add gvg so it can be release before the year end?

Is the story enough to attract more players?

When GW2 ends, will it be the end? Will there be a sequel?

The old MMO vets remain, but what new kids are coming in?

The problem is you can't easily have pvp builds and pve builds and group builds be interchangeable, and still have a good game. Let's be honest, most people play pve and the game props them up to be GODS, then they enter pvp and they are worse than newborn babes and they leave with their tale between their legs.

I was sold on the prospect of it being a balanced PvP experience with an e-sports aspiration.What I got was terrible balance for a game type that A-net decided to all in on; that was bound to not draw new viewership with our combat system.

I used to care and be more indignant about it, but I acquiesced to the status quo and just decided to play smash, stacraft, overwatch, and dark souls for my PvP needs.

I will always hold hope A-net will correct their mistakes, but equally I hold a deep seeded spark of schadenfreude enjoying the continued folly of their pride.

admittedly some of the mini season stuff intrigues me, but I'm doubtful the balance will reflect what's needed to make it successful.