WvW "One man army" classes and builds for solo play?

Uon.7491

First of all, I can understand that this thread may seem like a joke, but it's not. I am wholeheartedly seeking sage advice. I enjoy WvW, but I often find myself solitary as the mentality on my current server is "EBG ZERG OR NOTHING!" I also want to go to the Edge of the Mists and work on it's related achievements.I don't want to PvP, and avoid player fights as much as possible. What I am hoping to do is make nuisance of myself; taking low tier towers, tapping Keeps, flipping tier three camps, and so forth. I imagine most of the typical roaming builds can cover it, but dealing with the various tower Champions does strain some builds.

I'm not too sure what I should be looking for in a class and build to cover the aforementioned, so here is to hoping that there may be some advice~

Every class has at least one decent roaming build (assuming all elites) and you should be able to take on tower lords with any of them. Most of them can build for high amount of mobility and evades but if you really dont like pvp the thief is always the go to. If you want to run, nothing except another thief can catch you.

I recommend soulbeast or thief for what you described.

Thief has a very strong disengage game, but they can still get tripped up if you are not careful. It will be more difficult to deal with multiple NPCs hitting you on thief if you are less experienced, however (completely doable, but will take some practice).

Soulbeast is a pretty solid class as well. They do quite a bit of damage, and they are pretty solid at disengaging to avoid fights. That class is a lot more forgiving than thief is, but there will be more classes that can keep up with you.

You can find commonly used roaming builds for either class on metabattle. I hope this helps you.

I do the things you listed on hammer rev, even those t3 camps. I cannot imagine a thief trying to take a t3 camp in a reasonable amount of time, maybe daredevil cleave idk. Yeah tower champs are kind of scary though but rev cc and damage eats them pretty good.

Honestly I think you should tell us what class you play most and then find a build that would be ideal.Experience > Build

Many thanks for the replies! I main Soulbeast, and dabble in Engineer and it's elites. I've found it difficult to deal with tier three camps in a timely manner, and (embarrassingly) lose to the NPCs half of the time. Tower champions are a mixed bag. I am willing to try new classes and builds as long as they aren't overly complicated.

I've been using tweaked Metabattle builds, as to be perfectly frank: I suck. I try to stack on some extra vitality, concentration, protection, and stability where I can to help cover my 400+ latency and poor reaction times.

@Uon.7491 said:Many thanks for the replies! I main Soulbeast, and dabble in Engineer and it's elites. I've found it difficult to deal with tier three camps in a timely manner, and (embarrassingly) lose to the NPCs half of the time. Tower champions are a mixed bag. I am willing to try new classes and builds as long as they aren't overly complicated.

I've been using tweaked Metabattle builds, as to be perfectly frank: I suck. I try to stack on some extra vitality, concentration, protection, and stability where I can to help cover my 400+ latency and poor reaction times.

Hi, i'd suggest a condition mirage.It has no issues at all with t3 camps or tower champs and pretty easy to play as well.It will let you do the things you described.

There general issue here is that Roaming builds for PvP and camps are tuned for mid-threshold spike damage, and general sustain. The problem here is that Tower Lords being Champs make them closer to PvE in terms of stats, which makes them hard for most roaming builds to compensate for. Burst oriented builds have a higher skill floor against lords, since you need to avoid their attacks; and despite roaming builds being made for sustain, the champs simply hit too hard (and too often) to tank for most builds.

But its not entirely hopeless. Like mentioned earlier, Condi Mirage is stupidly overpowered for small fights due to how its damage is delivered, the evasions, and the ability to sink all your stats into Dire or similar. This low cost investment into both high defense and condition damage, on top of the countless defense abilities of mirage, makes them well suited for the longer fights Tower lords tend to pose. Mirage can also afford to be a more proactive with defenses, since misdirection is a lot more powerful then people give it credit for. If you learn to Possum you can also trick players into thinking you're one of the clones, and force them figure out which one you are. On low tier servers, where even the roamers are terrible, possum combined with Stealth skills is enough to make you so threatening, weaker roamers will avoid actively avoid you.

Option B is a Marshals/Crusader Sword/Dagger Weaver. Its a pure melee build, and harder to learn due to skill navigation. But in the hands of a half decent player, they can sustain against most of the popular roaming builds. In the hands of a good player, its damn near immortal.