Icebrood Saga trailer

Daniel Handler.4816

@Randulf.7614 said:What's that flying creature that flies into the screen? A corruption of the Owl Spirit maybe?

I think it's supposed to be an icebrood version of the hawk from the first scene and the scene with the dying norn?

@Kalavier.1097 said:

@"hugo.4705" said:I like a lot that style of animation, the trailer is very nice, the style, rendering... BTW anyone knows who is the cute looking orange fur charr in the other trailer?

You talking about this one
Bangar_Ruinbringer.jpg
If so then that is the blood legion Imperator, Bangar Ruinbringer.

Where did that come from? I tried searching on youtube but found nothing yet.

If you're still looking, it was at the very end of the stream.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Revolution.5409 said:Dragons are sentient creatures and I wonder what is the purpose of starting a war that you know you will lose?Aurene and the pact have enough strength to eliminate any dragon, I hope for a story that introduces something new :)

The point is Jormag cannot be killed. There's no dragon to replace it.

So this all needs to be dealt with without actually killing Jormag.

@Valmir.4590 said:

@"Kalavier.1097" said:

Where did that come from? I tried searching on youtube but found nothing yet.

If you're still looking, it was at the very end of the stream.

Well, I'll be damned, but I didn't expect bangar to look and sound so... not brutally cartoonish. He's a lot more suave than what I expected.

I know right? People compare him to Scar somewhat, but I was interested because he's kinda charismatic. Hardly the raging brute that was once implied of him.

@ThatOddOne.4387 said:

@Revolution.5409 said:Dragons are sentient creatures and I wonder what is the purpose of starting a war that you know you will lose?Aurene and the pact have enough strength to eliminate any dragon, I hope for a story that introduces something new :)

The point is Jormag cannot be killed. There's no dragon to replace it.

So this all needs to be dealt with without actually killing Jormag.

So I hope in a different story and not 5-6 episodes to look for a new catalyst for the power of the dragon XD

Braham was determined to shoot down the dragon after enchanting Eir's LB, who knows if anything has changed since the last episode.

@"hugo.4705" said:I'm more scarred of Deep Sea Dragon, the dialogue establishing that its minions are that big they can't fit within crucible of eternity aquarium intrigues me. If the minions are big, the dragon would be bigger. (I suppose), the Jormag representation in bitterfrost frontier can hint its size if respected. My guess is that Jormag has the size of that map. So a little bigger than zhaithan but still "small".

qayKXrv.jpg(Yeah I assume that deep sea dragon is a turtle, seeing the vision of the all, it's either big quaggan or turtle)You do know that the dragon head you attributed to Jormag's just a statue of a Claw of Jormag, right? :P

Though I imagine you do have the size accurate. Based on his tooth, Jormag must be about Kralk's size, maybe a bit smaller.

@"Revolution.5409" said:Dragons are sentient creatures and I wonder what is the purpose of starting a war that you know you will lose?Aurene and the pact have enough strength to eliminate any dragon, I hope for a story that introduces something new :)

So far every ED plot has been different:

• Zhaitan: "Unite the races to face the dragon."
  • Mordremoth: "The unification has broken, but we must still face the dragon."
  • Balthazar (Primordus/Jormag/Kralkatorrik): "If we kill a dragon, the world dies."
  • Kralkatorrik: "We must train our replacement dragon, so that we may face the dragon."
  • Jormag: "The dragon faces us, but we cannot kill it without a replacement or the world dies."

Last one's just my guess for how they're going with Jormag in the most general of senses.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

• Jormag: "The dragon faces us, but we cannot kill it without a replacement or the world dies."

Last one's just my guess for how they're going with Jormag in the most general of senses.This presuming Anet doesn't just go "Aurene is the prismatic dragon, which gives her the ability to mold all the dragon powers within her without going crazy/blowing up!"

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

Last one's just my guess for how they're going with Jormag in the most general of senses.This presuming Anet doesn't just go "Aurene is the prismatic dragon, which gives her the ability to mold all the dragon powers within her without going crazy/blowing up!"

While I am concerned about that given the magazine having Gorrik use the "Prismatic Elder Dragon" phrase that's been used by the fanbase on wild "Elder Dragon of all magical domains" - either as what Aurene will be, what the last ED alive would be, or of some fabricated "mega Elder Dragon" that's above the six Elder Dragons - the magazine also makes mention of this about the Icebrood Saga:

We learned that the Elder Dragons - or at least the roles they play in the magical ecosystem - are essential to the long-term survival of life on Tyria. Unless replacements for the remaining Elder Dragons are found, no more can be killed.[...]They helped her bring Kralkatorrik down out of the sky and ended his life so Aurene could absorb his magic and take his place in the pantheon as the Elder Dragon of Light.https://s3.amazonaws.com/guildwars2.com_uploads/livingworldmagazine/icebroodsaga_magazine_EN/5-6/index.html

Though I doubt they'd scrutinize that little side project of theirs, the summary of "the story so far and what's to come" has painted the picture that we do indeed need multiple replacements, and that Aurene only replaces Kralkatorrik despite having a hefty amount of Zhaitan and Mordremoth (esp. Mordremoth) magic in her.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Though I doubt they'd scrutinize that little side project of theirs, the summary of "the story so far and what's to come" has painted the picture that we do indeed need multiple replacements, and that Aurene only replaces Kralkatorrik despite having a hefty amount of Zhaitan and Mordremoth (esp. Mordremoth) magic in her.I still say we should get some big old magical conduits, jam them in the Pale Tree, and see if she can harness some of the draconic energy.

Out of all the things we have encountered in GW2 thus far, she's the most obvious choice to replace Mordremoth, or any of the dragons really.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Though I doubt they'd scrutinize that little side project of theirs, the summary of "the story so far and what's to come" has painted the picture that we do indeed need multiple replacements, and that Aurene only replaces Kralkatorrik despite having a hefty amount of Zhaitan and Mordremoth (esp. Mordremoth) magic in her.I still say we should get some big old magical conduits, jam them in the Pale Tree, and see if she can harness some of the draconic energy.

Out of all the things we have encountered in GW2 thus far, she's the most obvious choice to replace Mordremoth, or any of the dragons really.

The thing that made Glint, Aurene, and Vlast special is they were related to Kralkatorrik directly. Glint was his daughter. Vlast and Aurene were his grandchildren. We don't really know where the Pale Tree stands in relation to Mordremoth.

If the Pale Tree were the literal offspring of Mordremoth we'd have something to work with. If shes merely a purified Blighting Tree, we need to look elsewhere.

@Tanith.5264 said:

If the Pale Tree were the literal offspring of Mordremoth we'd have something to work with. If shes merely a purified Blighting Tree, we need to look elsewhere.

Last time I checked she was still collapsed in a heap on her chamber floor, so who knows? :)

She gets better at the end of Knight of the Thorn.

That said, I'm fairly sure she's been confirmed as a purified blighting tree, and the Tangled Depths meta confirms blighting trees as the gargantuan maguuma trees (most likely stonewood trees) being corrupted.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Last time I checked she was still collapsed in a heap on her chamber floor, so who knows? :)

That said, I'm fairly sure she's been confirmed as a purified blighting tree, and the Tangled Depths meta confirms blighting trees as the gargantuan maguuma trees (most likely stonewood trees) being corrupted.

It'd be nice to get some dev confirmation on that. It would pretty convenient to be able to replace Mordremoth with the Pale Tree and offer a new dimension to the sylvari in a new world. Avatars of a changing paradigm.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

It'd be nice to get some dev confirmation on that. It would pretty convenient to be able to replace Mordremoth with the Pale Tree and offer a new dimension to the sylvari in a new world. Avatars of a changing paradigm.

Maybe it would be another Aurene instead -- that is, instead of the PT growing something based on humans, grow something based on Aurene as a template, to become a baby jungle dragon? Would give the Exalted something to do, anyway.

@perilisk.1874 said:

Maybe it would be another Aurene instead -- that is, instead of the PT growing something based on humans, grow something based on Aurene as a template, to become a baby jungle dragon? Would give the Exalted something to do, anyway.

I was thinking it'd be the PT herself, big tree in Caledon Forest. Maybe she'd develop a smaller serpentine dragon of herself not too dissimilar from the Mouth of Mordremoth that'd eventually wrap around the PT and she'd slowly take over the vacant "body" that Mordremoth left behind which is the entire Maguuma more or less.

While I am concerned about that given the magazine having Gorrik use the "Prismatic Elder Dragon" phrase that's been used by the fanbase on wild "Elder Dragon of all magical domains" - either as what Aurene will be, what the last ED alive would be, or of some fabricated "mega Elder Dragon" that's above the six Elder Dragons - the magazine also makes mention of this about the Icebrood Saga:

We learned that the Elder Dragons - or at least the roles they play in the magical ecosystem - are essential to the long-term survival of life on Tyria. Unless replacement
s
for the remaining Elder Dragons are found, no more can be killed.[...]They helped her bring Kralkatorrik down out of the sky and ended his life so Aurene could absorb his magic and take
his place
in the pantheon as the Elder Dragon of Light.

Though I doubt they'd scrutinize that little side project of theirs, the summary of "the story so far and what's to come" has painted the picture that we do indeed need multiple replacements, and that Aurene only replaces Kralkatorrik despite having a hefty amount of Zhaitan and Mordremoth (esp. Mordremoth) magic in her.

Wait is that the name for the second domain? So Crystal and Light? I guess that explains how the sun aspect got lumped in with air magic, paragons accessed lighting and fire, and the guardian naturally developed. I presume Light contains anything the sun could produce; light, fire, weather, etc.

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:

We learned that the Elder Dragons - or at least the roles they play in the magical ecosystem - are essential to the long-term survival of life on Tyria. Unless replacement
s
for the remaining Elder Dragons are found, no more can be killed.[...]They helped her bring Kralkatorrik down out of the sky and ended his life so Aurene could absorb his magic and take
his place

Wait is that the name for the second domain? So Crystal and Light? I guess that explains how the sun aspect got lumped in with air magic, paragons accessed lighting and fire, and the guardian naturally developed. I presume Light contains anything the sun could produce; light, fire, weather, etc.

No. Kralkatorrik's second domain according to the magazine is "Fury".

Aurene is called solely "Elder Dragon of Light" (or "Prismatic Elder Dragon" as an alternative). She's not called the Elder Crystal Dragon. It's a bit weird, tbh, and gives the implication (to me) that she's an "Elder Dragon of all magical domains."

s
his place

No. Kralkatorrik's second domain according to the magazine is "Fury".

Aurene is called solely "Elder Dragon of Light" (or "Prismatic Elder Dragon" as an alternative). She's not called the Elder Crystal Dragon. It's a bit weird, tbh, and gives the implication (to me) that she's an "Elder Dragon of all magical domains."

So I can't tell whether they are retconning or reinvoking the magic is like light idea. On one hand conflagration/persuasion/fury fulfill the concept of domains better than the previous spheres because they aren't singular concepts like ice or fire. On the other hand they don't mesh well with the idea of combining to make white light. Why would conflagration be distinct enough from fire to not be canceled by ice? Why does the sun fall under fury? They seem to be arbitrary enough to avoid having their interactions be comprehensible enough to affect the story. Effectively allowing Anet to drop that subplot.

The best I can parse is Aurene has magic from so many spheres there are no other words that could link them. And so they used the light analogy, but left out the complicated interactions. I don't think this means she will absorb all spheres.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Aurene is called solely "Elder Dragon of Light" (or "Prismatic Elder Dragon" as an alternative). She's not called the Elder Crystal Dragon. It's a bit weird, tbh, and gives the implication (to me) that she's an "Elder Dragon of all magical domains."

I think whatever the domain is includes a lot of interrelated things. Desert -> Sand -> Crystal [Crystal Balls -> Prophecy] -> Prisms -> Light -> Sunlight and Lightning -> Storms -> Wind. It's sort of an odd set in general, but the notion that her line's magic is tied to light is not really new, and I don't think in and of itself it suggests she has all domains.

I think “Prismatic” is just a more benign and fantastical way of calling her a crystal dragon, and the brief appearance that we saw she did look like a crystal prism refracting light into separate colors. I don’t think it’s weird she’s gained “light” as a domain what with Kormir inverting and dropping domains altogether. The second domain of the EDs seems more personal or intangible anyway. That might be more based off their personality.

That being said they could use it figuratively too and say she can better separate and manage magic, but I hope they don’t abuse that to the point and allow her to replace all the EDs.

@perilisk.1874 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Aurene is called solely "Elder Dragon of Light" (or "Prismatic Elder Dragon" as an alternative). She's not called the Elder Crystal Dragon. It's a bit weird, tbh, and gives the implication (to me) that she's an "Elder Dragon of all magical domains."

I think whatever the domain is includes a lot of interrelated things. Desert -> Sand -> Crystal [Crystal Balls -> Prophecy] -> Prisms -> Light -> Sunlight and Lightning -> Storms -> Wind. It's sort of an odd set in general, but the notion that her line's magic is tied to light is not really new, and I don't think in and of itself it suggests she has all domains.

It is a reference to a quote from Taimi: "Magic as we know it is like white light, composed of all the different types of dragon magic." Aurene has taken in magic from most other Elder Dragons in the pantheon, either directly after their deaths, or indirectly at the deaths of Balthazar or Kralkatorrik.

• 1 month later...

My observations of and thoughts on the trailer are as follows:

The elements are displayed

1. The first scene is of a bio-diverse Tyria in which all of the elements are combined. The most prominent example of this life is an eagle (?), a creature aligned to air.
  2. The second scene depicts fire.
  3. The third scene depicts a kodan floating out to sea. All of the elements appear to be present, but the scene cuts to the horizon, so I'd hazard a guess that this scene is about time.
  4. The fourth scene depicts earth.
  5. The fifth scene depicts water.
  6. The sixth scene cuts back to air.
  7. The final scene invokes ice.

Forms of death are displayed

1. The first scene is of a bio-diverse Tyria in which all of the elements are combined, granting life.
  2. The second scene depicts death by fire.
  3. The third scene depicts death by aging (time).
  4. The fourth scene is a little harder to place, although it probably refers to death by other earthlings.
  5. The fifth scene depicts death by drowning (water).
  6. The fifth scene depicts death by asphyxiation at high altitude (air).
  7. The final scene depicts some kind of defiance to death, some way of resisting it through Jormag.

Who is he addressing and what are the trials to which he refers?

Remember, Aurene came back from the dead. Somehow, dragon-kind is tied up with the concept of death. Dragons hate mortals (a form of death). Kralkatorrik says that Elder Dragons fear nothing, not even death. There is something more to this than we presently accept or understand. Is Jormag offering the champion a way to save everyone else. Is he destined to win by the All? Destined to become the new god of water? Is Jormag offering him or her the opportunity to hold sway over an unclaimed element through which the champion can keep those he loves around him? Does each corrupted minion somehow become bound to the champion and join them in the afterlife, or remain with him forever in this life? Or maybe in the new Tyria roles will be reversed? Maybe minions will appear normal and the champion will appear horribly deformed?