Why do people like WvW?

mattster.9847

@Defias.1892 said:

@"bluberblasen.9684" said:

i like walking with my charakter, waving the good and the bad guys. Kill them , dont kill them, ignore them run away from them, troll them.Flip some camps, maybe some towers or keeps. Giving enemy positions to my server, beeing the first one defending objects.its the "freedom" of a roamer. ( playing in zerg is like wearing a straightjacket )

And I'm the complete opposite. =)

I dont like roaming at all. I like the thrill of a big zerg fight. Playing frontline and trying to stay alive in the middle of all the chaos. Running through a sea of red rings, timing my skills correctly, and if Im playing FB, keeping my entire party alive too. Staying sticky with a tag while he/she's screaming on TS.

And that has been the beauty of WvW, that there is room for both roamers and groups.

I am playing a game right now based around RvR, there are no handholding carebear mechanisms, if you get caught you will fight or die most of the time, unless you wear lighter armor and have more stamina and don't get slowed down by being hit with a bow, dying means you lose 1 piece of equipment which they can loot and the game is totally around the big fights.

Guess what, the average player quality/skill level is miles higher than this games average will ever be, as is the quality of fights.

There are also zero complaints about getting killed in PvP combat, unlike this game, and poeple play for fights, not to take empty castles for meager rewards.

What game is this?

Gloria Victis, if you are EU join me on sangmar lol.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:There's a couple of reasons I like it.

(1): The hunt. The thing about PVP is that is that it is all small-scale and you have to stand in the red circles to do anything. But in WvW I have a lot of wide open spaces. I can attack from any angle, and I have to watch my back. It is so fun to see somebody in the distance, stalk and hide to avoid their gaze, then suddenly approach and bury them into the ground.

(2): The mass impact. The other day, I climbed up on top of the gazebo on one of the towers. This was to get the vista. But, after I did this, 10 people approached and attacked the tower. They didn't know I was up there, and unlucky for them I was on a weaver. I quickly switched to full damage traits and a staff. Then, as they attacked the Champion, I unleashed Meteor Shower and then Ice Storm on their heads. They tried to escape, but 3 or so of my teammates arrived and pushed them back the ramp. Not knowing where the lava fonts and meteors were coming from, they assumed it was one of the teammates and felt secure in taking the tower again. They were quite wrong, and I dropped a second set of meteor storm. And that is how I won a 4 vs 10 fight.

You don't get this kind of stuff from PVP. In WvW, a few well placed skills with good tactics can change the flow of the fight. I've driven back zergs single-handed. There's nothing quite like that anywhere else in the game.

(3): The anonymity. One of the biggest reasons why I don't do PVP is that my in-game performance is declining, and everyone is counting on me. In a 5 vs 5, if I am to mess up, it could ruin the whole game for everyone. There are specific tactics that are expected of me, and I have no idea what those are. But in a 30 vs. 30, my personal mistakes matter very little. I can't be kicked out of the mode, and I can run off and do whatever I want. It is very freeing, lifting a great weight off of my shoulders. I just get to have fun.

Try doing no.1 while they are on a mount lol.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to pop back in here bc for the past week or so I've been doing some HoT metas to pick up some lingering pve skins and a big reason I like wvw occurred to me . . :

DEAR GOD PVE IS UTTER CRAP :p

And I say that with love. But once you've gotten used to playing against other human beings npcs will just never be able to compete. It's a sad truth . . .

Like the coordination with a large group of people, be it dropping spikes at the right time, keeping the party alive, or landing a brutal bubble and hammer stun.

Like the setup and interplay of the 3 servers on each map.

Like the options when logging in, be it roaming, small scale, joining a zerg, tagging up.

Previously loved the familiar faces on my server, on top of my guild.

Frustrated that the potential of the game mode has never been met.

@Anput.4620 said:

@"bluberblasen.9684" said:

i like walking with my charakter, waving the good and the bad guys. Kill them , dont kill them, ignore them run away from them, troll them.Flip some camps, maybe some towers or keeps. Giving enemy positions to my server, beeing the first one defending objects.its the "freedom" of a roamer. ( playing in zerg is like wearing a straightjacket )

And I'm the complete opposite. =)

I dont like roaming at all. I like the thrill of a big zerg fight. Playing frontline and trying to stay alive in the middle of all the chaos. Running through a sea of red rings, timing my skills correctly, and if Im playing FB, keeping my entire party alive too. Staying sticky with a tag while he/she's screaming on TS.

And that has been the beauty of WvW, that there is room for both roamers and groups.

I am playing a game right now based around RvR, there are no handholding carebear mechanisms, if you get caught you will fight or die most of the time, unless you wear lighter armor and have more stamina and don't get slowed down by being hit with a bow, dying means you lose 1 piece of equipment which they can loot and the game is totally around the big fights.

Guess what, the average player quality/skill level is miles higher than this games average will ever be, as is the quality of fights.

There are also zero complaints about getting killed in PvP combat, unlike this game, and poeple play for fights, not to take empty castles for meager rewards.

What game is this?

Gloria Victis, if you are EU join me on sangmar lol.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:There's a couple of reasons I like it.

(1): The hunt. The thing about PVP is that is that it is all small-scale and you have to stand in the red circles to do anything. But in WvW I have a lot of wide open spaces. I can attack from any angle, and I have to watch my back. It is so fun to see somebody in the distance, stalk and hide to avoid their gaze, then suddenly approach and bury them into the ground.

(2): The mass impact. The other day, I climbed up on top of the gazebo on one of the towers. This was to get the vista. But, after I did this, 10 people approached and attacked the tower. They didn't know I was up there, and unlucky for them I was on a weaver. I quickly switched to full damage traits and a staff. Then, as they attacked the Champion, I unleashed Meteor Shower and then Ice Storm on their heads. They tried to escape, but 3 or so of my teammates arrived and pushed them back the ramp. Not knowing where the lava fonts and meteors were coming from, they assumed it was one of the teammates and felt secure in taking the tower again. They were quite wrong, and I dropped a second set of meteor storm. And that is how I won a 4 vs 10 fight.

You don't get this kind of stuff from PVP. In WvW, a few well placed skills with good tactics can change the flow of the fight. I've driven back zergs single-handed. There's nothing quite like that anywhere else in the game.

(3): The anonymity. One of the biggest reasons why I don't do PVP is that my in-game performance is declining, and everyone is counting on me. In a 5 vs 5, if I am to mess up, it could ruin the whole game for everyone. There are specific tactics that are expected of me, and I have no idea what those are. But in a 30 vs. 30, my personal mistakes matter very little. I can't be kicked out of the mode, and I can run off and do whatever I want. It is very freeing, lifting a great weight off of my shoulders. I just get to have fun.

Try doing no.1 while they are on a mount lol.

Some people do and are quite successful.

@Biermeister.4678 said:WvW has random outcomes to every engagement

Well, sort of random. It's pretty predictable even if the second by second skill usage changes.

1. blob on map
  2. your structure tactics are trolled
  3. blob appears within the minute after
  4. 60 people turn the wall into hot lava
  5. 30 seconds later the gate drops and the structure flips

It doesn't always happen like this, sometimes it looks like this:

1. blob on map
  2. your tactics are NOT set to public
  3. blob appears, realizes they will have to wait for a whole extra 45 seconds
  4. blob leaves to ktrain elsewhere
  5. may return later if you have no one defending

The third type of combat is super-rare:

1. blob on map (you also have a blob on the map)
  2. the blobs see each other and actually fight (where normally one will map hop to avoid even number fights)
  3. everyone has fun, you get to see some skilled gameplay (normally it's 50vs20 - nothing skilled about that)

@Anput.4620 said:Try doing no.1 while they are on a mount lol.

I do it all the time. There's two ways I go about it:

(1): I wait for them to dismount at the objective. You can't take land and camps while on the mount, so the moment they pop off I ambush them.(2): I have some high damage skills that I'll use to dismount other players.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

@Anput.4620 said:Try doing no.1 while they are on a mount lol.

(1): I wait for them to dismount at the objective. You can't take land and camps while on the mount, so the moment they pop off I ambush them.(2): I have some high damage skills that I'll use to dismount other players.

I was gonna reply this exact same thing lol. I do it frequently. If its my territory (or server 3's territory) Ill usually try to dismount them myself

@"Anput.4620" said:Try doing no.1 while they are on a mount lol.

(1): How many fights does that give compared to pre mount and how do you make sure they don't see you.(2): How do you do this against anyone with half a brain that isn't some PvE player doing their dailies that spams jumps on CD in enemy territory, they can just evade everything.

Where was that 1 video again?

@Anput.4620 said:

(1): How many fights does that give compared to pre mount and how do you make sure they don't see you.(2): How do you do this against anyone with half a brain that isn't some PvE player doing their dailies that spams jumps on CD in enemy territory, they can just evade everything.

(1): The same. Making sure they don't see me is easy. I just hide behind the nearby terrain. If you stand close to the pillars and walls, you can pan the camera and look around the corner, and somebody who isn't right next to you won't be able to see you. Turns out, a lot of players don't look behind themselves very often, so if you keep some distance and wait for them to engage an enemy, they won't see you coming. They're distracted by the camp/dolyak/sentry/whatever.

(2): I run nearly full glass on all of my builds. That 10k health can go pretty fast. In one to two hits.

(1): The same. Making sure they don't see me is easy. I just hide behind the nearby terrain. If you stand close to the pillars and walls, you can pan the camera and look around the corner, and somebody who isn't right next to you won't be able to see you. Turns out, a lot of players don't look behind themselves very often, so if you keep some distance and wait for them to engage an enemy, they won't see you coming. They're distracted by the camp/dolyak/sentry/whatever.

(2): I run nearly full glass on all of my builds. That 10k health can go pretty fast. In one to two hits.

So lets say you aren't full glass or something like a warrior how do you deal with 3 dodges? Also how many engagements do you get compared to pre mounts? Also do they actuall dodge well with all 3 dodges? Ive tried to condi bomb mounts but they just dodge the applications.

Also i am talking in the open field mainly too.

@Anput.4620 said:

So lets say you aren't full glass or something like a warrior how do you deal with 3 dodges? Also how many engagements do you get compared to pre mounts? Also do they actuall dodge well with all 3 dodges? Ive tried to condi bomb mounts but they just dodge the applications.

Hell if I know. The only two classes I've taken into WvW since mounts is Ele and Rev. I can't elaborate on the techniques of anyone else. Also, as I said before: I get the same mount of engagements.

Hell if I know. The only two classes I've taken into WvW since mounts is Ele and Rev. I can't elaborate on the techniques of anyone else. Also, as I said before: I get the same mount of engagements.

I just get poeple running away, i could get 1 engagement every 3 minutes, now i get 3 every 20-25 minutes or so and they are mostly not fun, outnumbered, being chased by mounts, or in some place where NPC's interfere.

How do you get someone of their mount as rev even? If they time dodges well and they see you comming in the open field.

I mostly play tanky 1vx bunker ish builds like sword weaver, boonbeast, spellbreaker etc.

@Anput.4620 said:

I just get poeple running away, i could get 1 engagement every 3 minutes, now i get 3 every 20-25 minutes or so and they are mostly not fun, outnumbered, being chased by mounts, or in some place where NPC's interfere.

How do you get someone of their mount as rev even? If they time dodges well and they see you comming in the open field.

I mostly play tanky 1vx bunker ish builds like sword weaver, boonbeast, spellbreaker etc.

I wish I was as lucky as you. As soon as I see somebody, mounted or not, they're coming for me. If I don't get the ambush out, they charge me with the mount and attack. To see them escape is rare. I'd kill (roflpun) for that kind if non-engagement, since it lets me solo take towers and break the walls of keeps. Are you sure this isn't just a server culture thing?

On Rev, I have (well, had, since they're nerfing/going to nerf it) two methods. First, Coalescence of Ruin at maximum distance hits REALLY hard. I usually follow that up with phase traversal and hammer auto, but they're usually down by then. If they're really close, I use Death Strike -> Unrelenting Assault does the job. If I'm booned up for some reason (even on marauder + zerker mix I can nearly cap might) Death Strike hits for 12k damage total. I've beaten mounts in a single hit like that.

Meeting somebody's gaze in open field solo is... not ideal. if that happens... I'm usually mounted, too. Again, they usually charge right at me and dis-mount to engage me. But one time, me and the other guy got into a staring contest, because neither of us wanted to dismount first.

If you're playing a bunker, you aren't going to have the ability to dismount another player. I'm sorry, but that is the nature of the bunker. I take a risk wearing marauder out there, but it pays off because it lets me dismount other players.

Well I have played a lot and have run into at least these emotions:1) Challenging yourselfWvW is challenging PvP gamemode. Make an amazing build, fight enemies, HYPE! Sometimes you just get those epic lord room fights where your team resses others left and right while killing enemies for dozens of minutes until manages to come out victorious. 1 wrong step and you lose. Obviously you need PvP oriented builds because if you put PvErs against each other, the fight is over in 2 seconds.2) Hype commandersUnfortunately most of the commanders these days don't do hype commanding but WvW used to be filled with commanders screaming funny things that made a man hyped. Following commanders like Ins, who was very well known on EU, getting hyped shouting likes of "PEPPER THEM PEPPER THEM CASTERS" ... " CHOO CHOO !!!" is an epic experience. These people genuinely loved WvW and it was contagious.3) CommunitySometimes people are just nice and work towards same goal expecting nothing at return. Then you just make friends, some verbal some not. Once you get some happy memories with people, coming across them makes you happy despite not being directly connected with them. Same can even extend to guilds within the server despite you not knowing the player in question.4) Pride/EgoAll guilds and commanders pack a little bit of pride. This allows them to go through some rough periods of time just by believing in them being better than the results they have achieved. This isn't exactly positive feeling but it does keep people around.5) AmusementEvery server has had their clowns, these days it is mostly tasteless teamchat trolls. But back when people used to be smart there was warriors doing stupid yolo pushes every fight coming unschathed typing funny things. Mesmers making troll portals to kill noobs. Pulling a grub inside enemy tower before capping it. Playing lord roulette with SM buffed lord. Most of these things are fun only for the first time, but still there are countless of them. And most of these people were doing these "nonsensical things" to make other people laugh, not to make them feel bad.6) Teaching peopleYou get a burst of nostalgia when you see someone struggling with something you used to. So you teach them how to do it correctly and feel like you helped someone. In return he will become a strong player of your server.7) CreativityCreativity is fun, you can do it with siege, playstyle or builds. Pretty cool.8) RivalsWell even this date when server pride is considered dead (it's not), I derive some pleasure from crushing servers or commanders I dislike.

WvW does have its bad periods and requires certain knowledge of timezones and commanders within the server so you can find a group worth following. Good commanders can always find something fun to do as long as it is not the deadest hours of the game and you're not on an overstacked server.

I wish I was as lucky as you. As soon as I see somebody, mounted or not, they're coming for me. If I don't get the ambush out, they charge me with the mount and attack. To see them escape is rare. I'd kill (roflpun) for that kind if non-engagement, since it lets me solo take towers and break the walls of keeps. Are you sure this isn't just a server culture thing?

On Rev, I have (well, had, since they're nerfing/going to nerf it) two methods. First, Coalescence of Ruin at maximum distance hits REALLY hard. I usually follow that up with phase traversal and hammer auto, but they're usually down by then. If they're really close, I use Death Strike -> Unrelenting Assault does the job. If I'm booned up for some reason (even on marauder + zerker mix I can nearly cap might) Death Strike hits for 12k damage total. I've beaten mounts in a single hit like that.

Meeting somebody's gaze in open field solo is... not ideal. if that happens... I'm usually mounted, too. Again, they usually charge right at me and dis-mount to engage me. But one time, me and the other guy got into a staring contest, because neither of us wanted to dismount first.

If you're playing a bunker, you aren't going to have the ability to dismount another player. I'm sorry, but that is the nature of the bunker. I take a risk wearing marauder out there, but it pays off because it lets me dismount other players.

I should not have to run glass to get engagements in any open world PvP game, the mount is just bad design for such a game, 9/10 times if i see someone mounted they ignore me and run past me/away from me.

This is a simple matter of balance, there is no way the mount is balanced at the moment, if you say so then you are a biased ktrainer really.

Also whats so much fun about soloing PvE objectives? Whats fun about spamming 1 vs guards?

Everything that @Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said, with an emphasis on Defending a thing.

I can fully appreciate if/when a group of people rush towards a thing, set up their siege and go to town. I more so appreciate the art of defending against it; man vs. man. Good stuff. Especially with casters; go go Elementalists and all that. AoE is king. That there are some PvE elements in the game so it's never fully stale, adds to this, gives some variety to the choices.

Additionally, if and when I 'lose' that thing, I have some inherent urge to get it back and this form of game play allows me (with help, though slightly on my own too) to balance the books. I think in the end this speaks to our base urge of conquering stuff, and it's well done for a game that really doesn't ultimately care about, in the end, who owns what. Keep the cycle going, I say.

The Conan video also sums it up well, well linked there.

@Anput.4620 said:

I should not have to run glass to get engagements in any open world PvP game, the mount is just bad design for such a game, 9/10 times if i see someone mounted they ignore me and run past me/away from me.

I dont run glass, nor condi and I can typically get my engagements. (I run Marauder/Valk w/ traveler runes)