Spending Money Is Supporting The Game

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@c space cowboy.2764 said:As a long term gw1 player, I can see the writing on the wall. The same thing is happening that happened after Eotn in gw1. Silence. Long term silence.

The lw stories feel like they are trying to bide time while they work on their next game.

The same thing happened in gw1, then they randomly announced gw2.

Gw2 is being shifted into maintenance mode, and you can feel it in several dying game modes.

I primarily play one of those dying game modes. Have spent thousands of dollars on this franchise.

Well, my playing gw2 is going into maintenance mode. I play 2-3 times a week now with the one guild I'm in that isn't dead yet....

it's horrifyingly amazing how many people are in this boat now from recent Anet decisions... its almost as if they are intentionally doing it.

I cant shake this vibe that they're trying to get rid of any players who don't enjoy generic dragon story lines.

I was supporting them and regularly, that is until last Friday's underwhelming announcements, no more. I'll be putting my money elsewhere at least until they change their ridiculous policy regarding their complete lack of clear and valued information regarding their long term goals for the game. Also i won't be supporting a studio that consistently tries to paint their entire fan base with one large brush stroke. Most of us wanted the best for GW2 and many of us have asked reasonable questions regarding things that we care about but all we get is silence which amounts to a disrespectful slap in the face.

You don't care enough to respond to your fan base than I don't care to spend my money here simple as that!

@c space cowboy.2764 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Long term silence doesn't look like what we get with Anet here. Sensationalism ... fun, but not true.

You play pve?

The last time we had an update on alliances was 10 months ago. Announced 18 months ago?

What defines long term silence to you?

That makes no sense ... There have been updates to WvW long after that. You might not like them, but they exist.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Long term silence doesn't look like what we get with Anet here. Sensationalism ... fun, but not true.

You play pve?

The last time we had an update on alliances was 10 months ago. Announced 18 months ago?

That makes no sense ... There have been updates to WvW long after that. You might not like them, but they exist.

No downed state, bloodlust , core swap , bonus events. There been alot of content, but yeah its normal people always have something to complain about. Its the new trend

@c space cowboy.2764 said:As a long term gw1 player, I can see the writing on the wall. The same thing is happening that happened after Eotn in gw1. Silence. Long term silence.

The lw stories feel like they are trying to bide time while they work on their next game.

Gw2 is being shifted into maintenance mode, and you can feel it in several dying game modes.

I primarily play one of those dying game modes. Have spent thousands of dollars on this franchise.

Well, my playing gw2 is going into maintenance mode. I play 2-3 times a week now with the one guild I'm in that isn't dead yet....

There was no random announcement of gw2 from gw1. It was all explained well in advance.

@knomslayer.9457 said:

You play pve?

No downed state, bloodlust , core swap , bonus events. There been alot of content, but yeah its normal people always have something to complain about. Its the new trend

Ok, so you're saying if anet decided to stop doing lw or any kind of update for pve and they only did these limited events like world boss rush and meta rush or w/e that would suffice and keep ppl happy and engaged, for many months?

How is that money used to update the game? They barely do anything since HoT, HoT was sold for €60 and yet we only got half of what was promised, PoF looks empty content-wise. Barely anything we ask for gets in the game. They took 7+ years to implement templates... what for? when majority of the people who asked for it don't play anymore... it's a bit too late.Where it went however is paying PvP tournaments couple years ago, and it was like $100.000, bought someone a house apparently when theirs burnt down, doing bunch of giveaways while only allowing 1/3 of your community to sign up for it and renting out a whole theater to sell us merch.As for what you listed, SKINS ARE NOT content, you don't play a skin, however you'll use it to play the same old content you've been playing for 7 years ... and those skins probably took a day to make and selling it for €20, which..for that €20 you can buy some other game where you can spend hundreds of hours in, in some even thousands of hours...The fact that you couldn't even list any real content other than "make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins" means you know there's nothing... saying "etc" or "many more" just means you can't think of anything else to say.

@zealex.9410 said:

You play pve?

Ok, so you're saying if anet decided to stop doing lw or any kind of update for pve and they only did these limited events like world boss rush and meta rush or w/e that would suffice and keep ppl happy and engaged, for many months?

Yes. 100%. There is alot for content in pve. Jumping puzzle, achievement farm, exploring maps, world bosses, leveling alts, gold farming and so many more activities to do. Meta rush, world boss rush yearly festival is a plus

@knomslayer.9457 said:

You play pve?

Yes. 100%. There is alot for content in pve. Jumping puzzle, achievement farm, exploring maps, world bosses, leveling alts, gold farming and so many more activities to do. Meta rush, world boss rush yearly festival is a plus

Ok so basicly what gw1 does in maintenance mode, got it.

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:How is that money used to update the game? They barely do anything since HoT, HoT was sold for €60 and yet we only got half of what was promised, PoF looks empty content-wise. Barely anything we ask for gets in the game. They took 7+ years to implement templates... what for? when majority of the people who asked for it don't play anymore... it's a bit too late.the money used to give content, living world, weekly game balance, new maps new elite specs , mounts. I disagree with the people who ''dont play anymore" , they either took a month of two break or playing invisible so they can continue playing while you believing they quit the gameAs for what you listed, SKINS ARE NOT content, you don't play a skin, however you'll use it to play the same old content you've been playing for 7 years ... and those skins probably took a day to make and selling it for €20, which..for that €20 you can buy some other game where you can spend hundreds of hours in, in some even thousands of hours...I disagree. Skins are content too. Skins motivate you to play the game and have fun. 99% people make legendary weapons so they can have the skin because not everyone can have that legendary skin. store skins... same thing. people will go out of there way to get skins so they can be different from other peopleThe fact that you couldn't even list any real content other than "make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins" means you know there's nothing... saying "etc" or "many more" just means you can't think of anything else to say.What can i say i like skins..

@zealex.9410 said:

You play pve?

Ok so basicly what gw1 does in maintenance mode, got it.

i never played gw1 so idk..

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:How is that money used to update the game? They barely do anything since HoT, HoT was sold for €60 and yet we only got half of what was promised, PoF looks empty content-wise. Barely anything we ask for gets in the game. They took 7+ years to implement templates... what for? when majority of the people who asked for it don't play anymore... it's a bit too late.the money used to give content, living world, weekly game balance, new maps new elite specs , mounts. I disagree with the people who ''dont play anymore" , they either took a month of two break or playing invisible so they can continue playing while you believing they quit the gameAs for what you listed, SKINS ARE NOT content, you don't play a skin, however you'll use it to play the same old content you've been playing for 7 years ... and those skins probably took a day to make and selling it for €20, which..for that €20 you can buy some other game where you can spend hundreds of hours in, in some even thousands of hours...I disagree. Skins are content too. Skins motivate you to play the game and have fun. 99% people make legendary weapons so they can have the skin because not everyone can have that legendary skin. store skins... same thing. people will go out of there way to get skins so they can be different from other peopleThe fact that you couldn't even list any real content other than "make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins" means you know there's nothing... saying "etc" or "many more" just means you can't think of anything else to say.What can i say i like skins..

Hah... new elite specs... people are fuming at Anet for NOT giving them specs. You're so out of touch. And also... what is WEEKLY game balance...we're lucky if we get proper balance patch 2-3 times a year.Still skins are not content, you just said they "motivate" you to play content. Skins are skins...you don't play a skin.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:How is that money used to update the game? They barely do anything since HoT, HoT was sold for €60 and yet we only got half of what was promised, PoF looks empty content-wise. Barely anything we ask for gets in the game. They took 7+ years to implement templates... what for? when majority of the people who asked for it don't play anymore... it's a bit too late.the money used to give content, living world, weekly game balance, new maps new elite specs , mounts. I disagree with the people who ''dont play anymore" , they either took a month of two break or playing invisible so they can continue playing while you believing they quit the gameAs for what you listed, SKINS ARE NOT content, you don't play a skin, however you'll use it to play the same old content you've been playing for 7 years ... and those skins probably took a day to make and selling it for €20, which..for that €20 you can buy some other game where you can spend hundreds of hours in, in some even thousands of hours...I disagree. Skins are content too. Skins motivate you to play the game and have fun. 99% people make legendary weapons so they can have the skin because not everyone can have that legendary skin. store skins... same thing. people will go out of there way to get skins so they can be different from other peopleThe fact that you couldn't even list any real content other than "make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins" means you know there's nothing... saying "etc" or "many more" just means you can't think of anything else to say.What can i say i like skins..

Hah... new elite specs... people are fuming at Anet for NOT giving them specs. You're so out of touch. And also... what is WEEKLY game balance...we're lucky if we get proper balance patch 2-3 times a year.Still skins are not content, you just said they "motivate" you to play content. Skins are skins...you don't play a skin.

Well we can disagree..Skins are content too wether you like it or not. Maybe its not content for you but its content for other people. Same as those pve players who only play lw and never played wvw, so for them they dont acknowledge wvw as content.

@Ashen.2907 said:

There was no random announcement of gw2 from gw1. It was all explained well in advance.

Yeah, GW2 was announced in 2007 - even before GW:EN was released. In fact GW:EN was supposed to be the bridge between GW and GW2. Then they added a few more stories with GW Beyond (much like LW if you will, though not as much as we get now) since GW2 wasn't don't yet. Only ever then GW went into maintenance mode without any substantial updates.

Yep. I was there when GW1 was killed in its prime and the feeling around 2 right now is exactly the same.

And they never even finished Guild Wars Beyond or promised class reworks like the Paragon's. Expect a lot of loose ends in Guild Wars 2 when they do the same thing to it.

@"knomslayer.9457" said:I see my guildmates and alot of people are saying they have problem spending too much money on the game. No, there is no such thing spending too much real life money on the game. If you spend your money example buy gems.. You are helping/supporting the game. Your money will be used to update the game, make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins and so many more new content for the game. So dont feel bad whenever you feel like spending real money.

I spend a lot of money on this game, but I never do it to "support" the game. Anet isn't some startup in need of a Patreon page; it's a major corporation selling a good/service to meet its bottom line. So I buy stuff when I want it, at the price offered. Which is probably too often, and I don't feel it is particularly good value as of late, but that's on me. I knew the price going in.

@knomslayer.9457 said:

Skins you can acquire in game could be considered content I guess but cosmetics acquired from a cash shop are not content...it's why they coined the term "cosmetics"....

I'm never going to understand the people that complain about these optional purchases they're presented with. Don't want it? Don't buy it. Don't like it? Don't buy it. If you went off the way so many people act when ranting and complaining you'd assume they're being forced against their will to fork over money to Anet.

This game requires other people to work long hours to put it together so you can enjoy the service they are providing you. So much of this game doesn't require money, but some parts do, and that's fair. It's their product. If you enjoy it and want it: buy it. If you don't? Don't buy it.

@knomslayer.9457 said:I see my guildmates and alot of people are saying they have problem spending too much money on the game. No, there is no such thing spending too much real life money on the game. If you spend your money example buy gems.. You are helping/supporting the game. Your money will be used to update the game, make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins and so many more new content for the game. So dont feel bad whenever you feel like spending real money.

I spend a lot of money but I'm still disappointed, b/c idc about pve 1 day content or useless gamestore gizmos, i would like to see frequent balance Updates, more longterm content for competitive gamemodes... but nope, no, nothing. So no more money for BNet ☠ or maybe less, lul?

@Tyler.4937 said:I'm never going to understand the people that complain about these optional purchases they're presented with. Don't want it? Don't buy it. Don't like it?Don't buy it. If you went off the way so many people act when ranting and complaining you'd assume they're being forced against their will to fork over money to Anet.

The problem is, that in addition to people not liking them, in the view of these people, Arenanet wasted resources that could have better been used in other areas, for example ARMOURS that could be earned by playing the game.

@zealex.9410 said:

You play pve?

Um, no. The conversation that was being had was in relation to the comments someone made that Anet has long term silence in WvW communication of almost 18 months ... which was ridiculous considered ALL of the aforementioned events were indeed communicated and well after the last 18 month period. Whether those events made players happy and engaged wasn't part of ANY of that conversation and is highly debatable either way anyways ... so of little value to discuss.

@knomslayer.9457 said:I see my guildmates and alot of people are saying they have problem spending too much money on the game. No, there is no such thing spending too much real life money on the game. If you spend your money example buy gems.. You are helping/supporting the game. Your money will be used to update the game, make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins and so many more new content for the game. So dont feel bad whenever you feel like spending real money.I wish that were true. Of course it is true to some extent but most of it will go to profits and share holder dividends and a lot less than people might think actually goes into the game.When you consider that they were doing projects on the side before NcSoft cut them, those were funded also by your purchases. All in all, you can't say that money spent is a support directly of the game. That's only ever partially true at best.

I also don't want to spend too much because they charge way too much for their stuff and I don't want them to think they can just do that and get away with it. So I do limit my spending considerably. As a customer, you shouldn't be a thief of your own wallet because you trick yourself in believing that you're saving the game.

Spend all you like but do think a bit about spending tons of money on virtual items that you don't even own. And don't assume that all you spend goes directly back into the game. A good amount of it is just profit for NcSoft and the share holders.