Mike Z on pcgamesn.com: Expansions not ruled out

zealex.9410

THANK YOU!!!

This is literally all I wanted to hear from the live event lolI knew season 5 was coming, but I really wanted to know that expansions were not being killed off and the game was going to rely entierly on living world going forward.

I don't expect Anet to announce expansions when they're not even in the works and they're not ready to move onto one but just knowing that they are open to making more of them for Gw2 is a massive piece of mind that will keep me personally as dedicated a player as I have been for years.

I like the living world and I enjoy the living world, but I do not believe the living world is capable of sustaining the game indefinitely.Expansions are essential to the future of this game imo and that is a belief that isn't going to change, so this confirmation is something i've been wanting to hear for a good while now ^^

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Bloodstealer.5978" said:Where exactly did you get the notion that a new expansion was on the table.. suggest editing your thread title tbh.It is not like Mike Z was going to say nope, no expansion nada or yeah we're going to be putting that expansion out.. especially straight after the live event let down. Imagine all those people who just paid out for that event get home and hear some other announcement not thought worthy of their ears and cheers.Nah just typical PR stuff to avoid any further disappointment or worse getting the community all feverish again over something they can't fulfil .. yet.

English is not my first laguage, doesnt "on the table" in regards to something (in this case an expansion) mean that its being discussed/considered?

Nope it just means nothing is ruled out and nothing is ruled in.. it certainly doesn't mean an expansion is coming though for sure.

@"Teratus.2859" said:THANK YOU!!!

This is literally all I wanted to hear from the live event lolI knew season 5 was coming, but I really wanted to know that expansions were not being killed off and the game was going to rely entierly on living world going forward.

I don't expect Anet to announce expansions when they're not even in the works and they're not ready to move onto one but just knowing that they are open to making more of them for Gw2 is a massive piece of mind that will keep me personally as dedicated a player as I have been for years.

I like the living world and I enjoy the living world, but I do not believe the living world is capable of sustaining the game indefinitely.Expansions are essential to the future of this game imo and that is a belief that isn't going to change, so this confirmation is something i've been wanting to hear for a good while now ^^

I dont want to burst your Bubble, but again, as I and several others are pointing out, the wording is literally ambiguous enough to state Nothing. Anet's views havent changed "We know you want Expansions, we're thinking about it". It's not a "Yes, you'll have an expansion sometime" even. It is literally a non-answer

@Naxos.2503 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:THANK YOU!!!

I dont want to burst your Bubble, but again, as I and several others are pointing out, the wording is literally ambiguous enough to state Nothing. Anet's views havent changed "We know you want Expansions, we're thinking about it". It's not a "Yes, you'll have an expansion sometime" even. It is literally a non-answer

Read my comment more carefully too, all I wanted to hear was that expansions were still on the table :)I got that confirmation and Anet confirming that they are aware that there is a demand for more paid expansions despite the free living world.It's the piece of mind I needed to hear, that's all.

I'm far less likely to continue investing the time and money I do into this game without at least the possiblity of more expansions, that's why I needed this piece of mind.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:THANK YOU!!!

Read my comment more carefully too, all I wanted to hear was that expansions were still on the table :)I got that confirmation and Anet confirming that they are aware that there is a demand for more paid expansions despite the free living world.It's the piece of mind I needed to hear, that's all.

I'm far less likely to continue investing the time and money I do into this game without at least the possiblity of more expansions, that's why I needed this piece of mind.

I did understand that, but they have already stated that not that long ago when announcing we'd move into Season 5 directly after Season 4. Regardless, I'm glad someone is still positive about it. I myself Also wish for those expansions, I just want them to state it properly, rather than stay vague

Hmmm what exactly was confirmed, cos I never read any such thing tbh.

Zero-expansion Mike?

When GW2 first came out the announced plans were LW only. People screamed. Eventually they gave us HOT (before and after were a pretty long content drought). Then LW. Then an expansion. Then LW.

Now we are getting more LW, just under another name. Granted the company has suffered a self-inflicted wound but it is like they learned nothing. Their big announcement did not even say they hoped to get back to expansions.

@"zealex.9410" said:Ofc this is a perfect "we will leave it to your imagination" answer.Why tell them what they dont want to hear when u can leave it open.

That's exactly it. Tell someone that "feature X", the thing they most want isn't coming and they will leave. Don't say anything and they will hang around a while. Tell them it might come and they may hang around a little longer. In these things hope and denial are two sides of the same coin.

They're not making one now. That much has been pretty much confirmed.

My personal take on this:I think they (Arenanet) simply do not have the resources (or are not given the resources from NCSoft) at this point in time to devote time on making an expansion alongside Living World Saga 5.

While I was hoping for expansion like hinting during the Live Event, it would make sense that nothing would get hinted at if it is not in developement OR in very early stages of developement.

I can actually live with that. If expansions are not off the table, then all I as player can hope for is that the budget and resources down the road allow for one (or maybe one is already in early stages of developement).

I think most people are hyped for Icebrood Saga and if all works out, who knows, maybe the budget issues will resolve themselves with a good LWS5. Knowing that expansions are not off the table is better than not knowing anything, even if no expansion is announced. Now it will come down to how well GW2 performs over the next 12 months.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Bloodstealer.5978" said:Where exactly did you get the notion that a new expansion was on the table.. suggest editing your thread title tbh.It is not like Mike Z was going to say nope, no expansion nada or yeah we're going to be putting that expansion out.. especially straight after the live event let down. Imagine all those people who just paid out for that event get home and hear some other announcement not thought worthy of their ears and cheers.Nah just typical PR stuff to avoid any further disappointment or worse getting the community all feverish again over something they can't fulfil .. yet.

English is not my first laguage, doesnt "on the table" in regards to something (in this case an expansion) mean that its being discussed/considered?

EditDelete was already answered

@"Menadena.7482" said:Zero-expansion Mike?

When GW2 first came out the announced plans were LW only. People screamed. Eventually they gave us HOT (before and after were a pretty long content drought). Then LW. Then an expansion. Then LW.

Now we are getting more LW, just under another name. Granted the company has suffered a self-inflicted wound but it is like they learned nothing. Their big announcement did not even say they hoped to get back to expansions.

Well certainly the company suffered losses, though iirc the game release with approximately the same number on their headcount and they brought both LW updates and expacs so there is nothing to say that still cant happen. Sure they have lost some key people in certain roles, but that, as sad as it is, does offer the opportunity for those left to put themselves out there and show their mettle.As for self inflicted, we don't know the ins and outs of the business, we don't know what was being asked of ANET by NCSoft leading up to what we now all know, with the added info relating to NCSoft suffering a decline across it's entire aging portfolio, which ANET are just one part of.If anything I would say looking at the earnings reports going back, ANET have been relatively stable in comparison to other titles, but somewhere down the line decisions to increase headcounts and move staff to "other projects" absorbed some of that financial stability, which added to the declining revenues within the portfolio, hard decisions had to be made to keep things viable - that is nothing irregular.

As for the live event.. it was never meant to give indication of an expac go ahead it was about LS, the new "SAGA"My disappointment with the event stems around the severe lack of information about .. well anything really, in fact the only clear info I got from it was what, where, how I can buy some Aurene fluff toys and some godawful looking leggings .I seriously thought they would of wanted to showcase this new ideology of the game going forward centred around LW including what this "expac type content was going to look like.. pretty important I would of thought to back up their "we believe LW going forward can deliver expansion quality content". But it was.. just devoid of much of anything to talk about imo.Having a new marketing twist on the name is cool and all, as is the delve into some of the games lore, but I got more of a feeling that it was more about plugging the next range of instruments coming to the gemstore by that stage.

So... forget they never mentioned expacs, they never really mentioned anything we can delve into... yet

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

That expansions are still on the table as future content for the game and that Anet is aware that many of us still want expansions for this game and are more than willing to pay for them should they make them.That's all ^^ and all I really wanted to hear at the event :)

Enough of staying vague you can't keep a bunch of players like me who would like to see an expansion by only launching some vague answers.In 7 years, saw many fake hopes, the overhyped sunrefuge, joko, kralkatorrik, mordry, balthazar... just disapointment.I hope I will not cry after ls5... (cry of despair). But seems ok with trailer.

Be FRANK, say a hard no, say a hard yes but don't continue to play with fire by stating "yeah we know some like expansions....", "maybe yes maybe no...", "for now we're okay with ls but we don't know if....". Need a clear statement, I'm pretty sure they are focused on the ls5 episodes but things like what a future expac could be about, when the team could start working on it, potential release... They need to stop the yoyo with the different release system: ls1 and ls2 in core maps then hot expansion, then new map around ls3, then pof expac, ls4 with more maps around and now ls5 maps around that can expand.... I feel like they don't know what they want to release/do like they are lost.

I prefer a serious NO in my face about expansions than inventing something and not telling the truth using wrapped meaningless vague answers. I wait, but if in the next 10 months, I don't have a true serious statement about expansion I quit.(Yeah will check ls5e1-2-3 in case of, can be cool, liked the trailer. But hey asura master race)

I WANT to PAY for an EXPANSION, p a y i n g , i'm sure ls5 will be cool, but believe me I will pay DELUXE for a juicy Asura Expansion. I Don't want hopes but proofs, showing me I have to stay not "see! another 4 years of just episodes each 3 months" at that point just want to wait for expac, if ls6 after that I'm DEAD.

@Teratus.2859 said:

That expansions are still on the table as future content for the game and that Anet is aware that many of us still want expansions for this game and are more than willing to pay for them should they make them.That's all ^^ and all I really wanted to hear at the event :)

Your reading way too much into that.. it was clearly a politicians statement.. neither deny or confirm means nothing.It's just a non answer, as others have said already.

@Naxos.2503 said:

I did understand that, but they have already stated that not that long ago when announcing we'd move into Season 5 directly after Season 4. Regardless, I'm glad someone is still positive about it. I myself Also wish for those expansions, I just want them to state it properly, rather than stay vague

I didn't hear anything about that back when they first talked about living world 5.Just glad to hear it now as it's been a while since I got any piece of mind about possible expansions in future, plus the way season 4 ended and moving straight into season 5 it was the right time to at least say, "we know you want it and we're keeping it on the table"It's enough to put my fears to rest lol

@Fenom.9457 said:That’s kinda concerning because it sounds like the cop out way to say there isn’t one, but then again there’s a chance they just don’t want to talk about the new one... I hope...

Maybe their financials just don't allow for one until such time as the financials can offer up the opportunity of tabling a notion internally... which may never actually be materialised if LW is expected to be the key to unlock the door.

I still consider climbing mount Everest to be on my to do list in the future, but until then I have to be content with trudging up and down my compost heap.. but its on the table for me.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Your reading way too much into that.. it was clearly a politicians statement.. neither deny or confirm means nothing.It's just a non answer, as others have said already.

Better than them saying nothing at all and leaving us concerned for possibly years that the game isnt ever getting another one.It doesn't matter that it's a non answer, it's just some piece of mind knowing that Anet knows what we want and is open to making it.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Better than them saying nothing at all and leaving us concerned for possibly years that the game isnt ever getting another one.It doesn't matter that it's a non answer, it's just some piece of mind knowing that Anet knows what we want and is open to making it.

Your not getting it are you.. they didn't say anything, that's the whole point at least nothing we did not already know a year ago maybe.. that is everything is possible and nothing is possible.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Your not getting it are you.. they didn't say anything, that's the whole point at least nothing we did not already know a year ago maybe.. that is everything is possible and nothing is possible.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then, saying nothing is still better than total silence imo.

@Teratus.2859 said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree then, saying nothing is still better than total silence imo.

?????