Mike Z on pcgamesn.com: Expansions not ruled out

zealex.9410

Mike Z. is still committed to a future of Living World Sagas.

Mike Z.'s Quote:"he said “I don’t think we have an answer for that one yet. For us, at least today, we know that with the stuff that we want to give – the quality of life improvements, the story we’re trying to tell – Icebrood Saga is the best way we can deliver free content to our players.”" ~https://www.pcgamesn.com/guild-wars-2/new-expansion

Justin's Quote:"PR manager Justin Fassino then added “I think the important thing here, obviously, is that everyone at the studio knows that there’s a demand for an expansion. So it’s not like we’re ruling it out.” ~https://www.pcgamesn.com/guild-wars-2/new-expansion

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loving what I am seeing with the new living world. That Charr celebration is insane and I'm looking forward to read the magazine.However moving forward, I think game NEEDS an expansion.The problem is, would people be happy with small updates for a couple odd years while it's worked on and be totally understanding?Absolutely not.But nonetheless at least they know an expansion will be welcomed. I guess that's at least something.

@Dami.5046 said:The problem is, would people be happy with small updates for a couple odd years while it's worked on and be totally understanding?Absolutely not.

^^ I would be happy even if they said a new expansion is coming in 2021/22 at least its C O M M U N I C A T I O N from Anet to their gaming Community that some further decent sized new content is coming, if even a long way off. It also demonstrates some sense of longevity of the game admist a growing black cloud of discombobulation.

@Greg.7086 said:

@Dami.5046 said:The problem is, would people be happy with small updates for a couple odd years while it's worked on and be totally understanding?Absolutely not.

^^ I would be happy even if they said a new expansion is coming in 2021/22 at least its C O M M U N I C A T I O N from Anet to their gaming Community that some further decent sized new content is coming, if even a long way off. It also demonstrates some sense of longevity of the game admist a growing black cloud of discombobulation.

This as long as they tell us they are working on something either an expansion or expansion type content over time. People just want to know there will be more than just lws from now on.

@Tiviana.2650 said:

This as long as they tell us they are working on something either an expansion or expansion type content over time. People just want to know there will be more than just lws from now on.

And the backlash when they don't meet this target? I think that this is why they won't set a date or make promises.

@Greg.7086 said:

They HAVE been communicating it's all over the web and the forums and the blog posts that Living World was how they were going to expand the world and drop new releases AFTER the original 3 planned XPacs. They pulled one from the shelf, not because they wanted to but because those most impacted from its release couldn't compromise enough for Anet to move in that direction. So it got pulled as did LWS1 Journal release. It's not awesome but it happened and we can be sad about it. But they are still holding to most of their concepts. Living World releases was the system for POST XPacs. It's where the game is now and the future. There is NOTHING an XPac can do a Living World Release can't and Living Wourld Release come faster and more frequent than XPacs did/do.

Let me ask you this.....IF we get a 3rd XPac and lets say it is Cantha will you want Living World from then on? Or will you just wait for and demand another 4th XPac? They could still have that very XPac in the works and just put it out in Living World! they want ACTIVE PLAYERS not RUSH Champions (load it play it leave it)!

LIVING WORLD (longevity)= sustained ACTIVE PLAYERS = money for development of xyz!XPacs (short Term)= buy play leave no money for development (sure I could be wrong)

But in the end all we can do is wait and see!

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@"Dami.5046" said:The problem is, would people be happy with small updates for a couple odd years while it's worked on and be totally understanding?Absolutely not.

They HAVE what do think a saga is? A SAGA is "long story of heroic achievement" ~DictionaryThey are saying Living World is here to stay for a very long long time (not ago..but now and moving forward!)

@Seth Moonshadow.2710 said:

They HAVE been communicating it's all over the web and the forums and the blog posts that Living World was how they were going to expand the world and drop new releases AFTER the original 3 planned XPacs. They pulled one from the shelf, not because they wanted to but because those most impacted from its release couldn't compromise enough for Anet to move in that direction. So it got pulled as did LWS1 Journal release. It's not awesome but it happened and we can be sad about it. But they are still holding to most of their concepts. Living World releases was the system for POST XPacs. It's where the game is now and the future. There is NOTHING an XPac can do a Living World Release can't and Living Wourld Release come faster and more frequent than XPacs did/do.

Let me ask you this.....IF we get a 3rd XPac and lets say it is Cantha will you want Living World from then on? Or will you just wait for and demand another 4th XPac? They could still have that very XPac in the works and just put it out in Living World! they want ACTIVE PLAYERS not RUSH Champions (load it play it leave it)!

LIVING WORLD (longevity)= sustained ACTIVE PLAYERS = money for development of xyz!XPacs (short Term)= buy play leave no money for development (sure I could be wrong)

But in the end all we can do is wait and see!

Theres a source that the plan was 3 expacs?

And to answer your question about what id want after expac 3, id like 2 years of lw the expac 4 like most other mmos do it.

@"Dami.5046" said:The problem is, would people be happy with small updates for a couple odd years while it's worked on and be totally understanding?Absolutely not.

They HAVE what do think a saga is? A SAGA is "long story of heroic achievement" ~DictionaryThey are saying Living World is here to stay for a very long long time (not ago..but now and moving forward!)

"long story of heroic achievement" and how is that what expansions are? Expansions to me are, big chunky one off content drops with new zones, mechanics and elite specs.

@"zealex.9410" said:

And to answer your question about what id want after expac 3, id like 2 years of lw the expac 4 like most other mmos do it.

Yes, there was but good luck finding it now with all this XPac theory crafting going on. One source is the Trivia section here

So what you want is 2yrs LW Xpac cycle? I don't think they want that. I think they want consistent active players and consistent release cycles. But we'll see right?

@"zealex.9410" said:

Yes, there was but good luck finding it now with all this XPac theory crafting going on. One source is the Trivia section

So what you want is 2yrs LW Xpac cycle? I don't think they want that. I think they want consistent active players and consistent release cycles. But we'll see right?and a circle of expac lw expac lw doesnt do that?

@ Seth: I understand what you are saying but I disagree. I've been reading forum every day for the last 3-4 months and can honestly say that 99% of players WANT a 3rd Expansion and NOT living world progression. Look an XPAC isn't just about a story, a new map, a new meta, a few new skins and such like in LW. Not 1 single player I have seen on over 200+ forum posts has actually said they want another Living World Chapter, but countless say they want an XPAC, and what's more Anet knows this too.

@Seth Moonshadow.2710 said:" There is NOTHING an XPac can do a Living World Release can't and Living Wourld Release come faster and more frequent than XPacs did/do."

^^ Disagree, disagree and guess what disagree ^^

An XPAC has so much more than LW, if you look at the launch of PoF and HoT in their entirety ( ie. the sheer amount of content, mastery tracks, elite specs, mounts etc, with the possibility of a 3rd XPAC bring a re-work of WvW or PvP or even Raiding or Fractals) you just cannot even compare it to the Living World releases.

Anyway, its not a competition between XPAC and Living World: Anet needs to launch and release BOTH for longevity of the game. Therefore the vast majority of players would welcome an XPAC being delivered in 2021/22 but WOULD still expect living world chapters along the way. Just to focus on Living World Only its a very bad move.

The problem remains that many players want to know where the gaming is heading. An expansion would be nice but clearly based on that comment they have not been working on one. The saga is great and I honestly look forward to it but I do think that Anet / NCsoft have to come out and give a statement to at least appease the community

I don't see why people say its so unclear when it literally couldn't have been any more clear.It has been almost 2 years since PoF. That is 2 years for them to get together and decide on making an expansion, or in other words, 2 years of consistently turning down the idea of making another expansion.

No duh players want an expansion. Anet obviously knows that as well, else they wouldn't have even released this information to begin with. However, just because players want it, doesn't mean it's feasible.PoF took approximately 2 years to produce. Therefore, there will for sure be at least 2 years of just living story at the very least.

We know they would never just straight come out and say they are not in a position where they can make an expansion.
Therefore, I for one appreciate them actually telling us what was going on and being as transparent as possible.

This is just one 47 year old's hot take on this: expansions have been the paradigm of MMOs for the last fifteen-twenty years. Regardless of what content is sprinkled in between expacs, that's the cycle we've been trained for.

If GW2's dev team can deliver on the idea of expac-like content within a Living World, I say good on them for busting the paradigm open. I want to see that. If terming it a "saga" ties into that, great.

So that paradigm busting thing, that's what I'm waiting to see. I don't care what they label it. I get the frustration on the part of the playerbase, because we have all been trained to think that an expac is what gives life to a game, an expac is what delivers big game-changing content, an expac is what incites the advertising frenzy and the hype and etc. I, personally, only care about the features and content and they can deliver it however they wish. I do not need something labeled an expansion.

My interpretation, both in context and in wishful thinking, is that busting the paradigm is what they intend. The problem with this is that they presented not a jot or tittle of that intention during the presentation. They did not repeat that they intend on including expac-like content. Maybe they just assumed saying it once was enough, or labeling it a "saga" was indicative of the plans. Maybe that's what they intended and the layoffs and lack of resources foiled it for the time being. At any rate, I am in full wait and see mode. Could be industry-changing, could fall flat.

It would help if they laid out what they want to do and take the risk of not being able to deliver or not deliver in a timely manner; regardless of what NCSoft or ANet thinks of that new-fangled idea of transparency (he says sarcastically because being transparent is 100% better than silence, even with the vocal freaks, and that has been proven by other studios time and again and again and again), I believe that a significant portion of the game's population would happily support them. What mostly concerns me is that the idea of paradigm-busting is innovative, but they can't even learn modern (read: normal) communication strategy from other studios. We'll see.

This is why I'm distancing myself from this game. Meaning just doing my regular pve dailies and not making any long term investments like Fractal God. There's hardly any retention for veterans. It's like a fast food restaurant with a high turn over rate. Nobody stays because there's no benefit or financial security. Might be a bad comparison, but that's what comes to mind. I'm starting to be in the same boat where very few of my friends still play.

Frankly, I don't care if there is a possibility of an expansion in the future just like there is a possibility of alien contact.

I care for more immediate and tangible things. We know we are getting "saga" for the foreseeable future. We 've been told this "saga" was supposed to have expansion-level features. Where are these features? Are they truly expansion-like compared to game-changers introduced in actual xpacs? When should we be expecting them?

Those are the questions and neither live events nor media scoops have provided any answers so far. Maybe it's just me but sometimes I prefer silence to pointless corporate statements.