Anet wants to make Scrapper worse, again

Noe.8032

I already posted my full rant on the actual thread but in the proposed upcoming balance changes thread Anet posted, one of the things they want to do is take away Scrapper's Chemical Field and replace it with Detection Pulse. Across all game modes, not just in WvW which is what this change is based on. In the thread they highlight changes that will be WvW exclusive and this one doesn't have that, it's going to be for Scrapper as a whole.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/85188/potential-future-balance-changes/p1

So Scrapper won't be able to reduce enemy healing with a poison field, which is a support function that it as a support class can perform. And Scrapper also won't be able to create and use its own poison combo fields anymore, despite it being a class designed around using combo fields. Instead you get a Detection Pulse which is virtually worthless in PVE and is only useful in PVP once every five or twenty matches when you encounter a Deadeye or stealthbomb Holosmith. So they want to take away a skill that serves both core features Scrapper has, support and combo fields; and replace it with something that doesn't really do either of those things, has almost zero applicability in PvE and is only rarely useful in PvP and WvW.

I'm not usually so obsessively angry over a change like this in a video game, but Scrapper is the only class I legitimately enjoy in PvP and it has a really unique gimmick which is extremely niche because of how useless so many of its traits are now which have never been balanced. It got buffed, which brought me back into it, then it got nerfed but I kept using it because I still like it. And now the developers who are supposed to be the main authority on this game are suggesting they not only make it worse but also make it fundamentally more shallow gameplay wise. Since instead of having a combo field and anti-healing ability, you'll have a click-to-destealth-that-one-deadeye-you-encounter-every-ten-games-then-do-nothing-about-it-because-bunker-scrapper-has-barely-any-DPS-pressure-so-revealing-stealths-is-only-useful-if-you-have-allies-immediately-nearby-who-can-jump-them.

I don't play WvW so I have zero clue how this matters or not in WvW, but in both PvP and PvE this change exclusively only reduces the gameplay variety of Scrapper and makes it less effective at the same time. If you're a Scrapper please go to that thread and tell them to knock it off with these changes. Because that's their feedback thread so basically this is the ONLY chance Scrappers have to stop Anet from making their own game less fun for us.

@"Aisling.5901" said:I don't play WvW so I have zero clue how this matters or not in WvW, but in both PvP and PvE this change exclusively only reduces the gameplay variety of Scrapper and makes it less effective at the same time. If you're a Scrapper please go to that thread and tell them to knock it off with these changes. Because that's their feedback thread so basically this is the ONLY chance Scrappers have to stop Anet from making their own game less fun for us.

They won't listen and as far as any game mode goes for Scrappers anymore well.... Just take these words to heart;

in wvw the nerfs to stealth gyro where needed, (both in the increased CD and the now increased reveals in the game from swapping tool belts around) though I do not agree with the condi gyro cleanses, scrapper on its own has enough cleanses but the issue comes from anti toxin that basically doubles them

@redwing.9580 said:in wvw the nerfs to stealth gyro where needed, (both in the increased CD and the now increased reveals in the game from swapping tool belts around) though I do not agree with the condi gyro cleanses, scrapper on its own has enough cleanses but the issue comes from anti toxin that basically doubles themNeeded why? What is the roamer scrapper competing against? Nothing thats what. Every other roamer has as strong or stronger builds. What is the zerg scrapper competing against? Kitten scourges.

If you want a nerf to anti-toxin I dont disagree (short icd like every other rune would be fine). If we want to reintroduce the detection pulse to actually counter zerg stealth pushes I dont disagree either. Loosing the chemical field would be yet another blow to condi scrapper but I can live with that. The utility in detection pulse takes precedence IMO. But the nerf to the gyros themselves are not needed. Not after what Anet did to the trait line.

Right now it kind of feels like Irenio and his team seem to be just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks and i'm not just talking about Scrapper but that's the most obvious example alongside Mesmer/Chrono.Redesigning an entire elite profession's trait line and then totally redesigning it again a few months later.Removing what was promoted to be the Scrappers unique ability when HoT launched - Function Gyro.Trying to sell Scrapper as some kind of tank and adding compulsory traits that remove 3000 hit points.Adding compulsory traits that only work on physical damage dealt thus negating any benefit from none power using builds.It just seems like a big mess at the moment, kind of like how Revenant's original vision has been totally messed up (for better or worse) by having skill/utility cooldowns AND a power usage system.Perhaps these changes were just rushed out of the door to stop people talking about the live stream and at least they seem open to discussion about them, who knows.

Well to quote myself:

Some classes feels like there is genuine passion behind, and even if the don't turn out as well as expected there is still signs that it was someones Labour of love. In comparison the scrapper truly feels like Frankenstein monster. It's a shambling abomination desperately wanting to be loved, with a maker revolting at and regretting its own creation. And so it wanders aimlessly through the world, with everyone telling it where it doesn't belong but never where it does belong. Just scraps stitched together to resemble a real elite spec. We laughed at "purity of purpose" because you never really bothered with purpose, and so it became more of a "lack of purpose". What did you take away from it? You made it into a joke trait which ironically is the best in slot meta alternative.

I genuinely believe the Frankensteins monster parallel, hell we were even brought to life in a thunderclap!

It's just a few changes but it tells me all i need to know about their thoughts on the last big patch. That being "Jobb well done, let's do it again!".

@"Aisling.5901" said:I already posted my full rant on the actual thread but in the proposed upcoming balance changes thread Anet posted, one of the things they want to do is take away Scrapper's Chemical Field and replace it with Detection Pulse. Across all game modes, not just in WvW which is what this change is based on. In the thread they highlight changes that will be WvW exclusive and this one doesn't have that, it's going to be for Scrapper as a whole.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/85188/potential-future-balance-changes/p1

So Scrapper won't be able to reduce enemy healing with a poison field, which is a support function that it as a support class can perform. And Scrapper also won't be able to create and use its own poison combo fields anymore, despite it being a class designed around using combo fields. Instead you get a Detection Pulse which is virtually worthless in PVE and is only useful in PVP once every five or twenty matches when you encounter a Deadeye or stealthbomb Holosmith. So they want to take away a skill that serves both core features Scrapper has, support and combo fields; and replace it with something that doesn't really do either of those things, has almost zero applicability in PvE and is only rarely useful in PvP and WvW.

I'm not usually so obsessively angry over a change like this in a video game, but Scrapper is the only class I legitimately enjoy in PvP and it has a really unique gimmick which is extremely niche because of how useless so many of its traits are now which have never been balanced. It got buffed, which brought me back into it, then it got nerfed but I kept using it because I still like it. And now the developers who are supposed to be the main authority on this game are suggesting they not only make it worse but also make it fundamentally more shallow gameplay wise. Since instead of having a combo field and anti-healing ability, you'll have a click-to-destealth-that-one-deadeye-you-encounter-every-ten-games-then-do-nothing-about-it-because-bunker-scrapper-has-barely-any-DPS-pressure-so-revealing-stealths-is-only-useful-if-you-have-allies-immediately-nearby-who-can-jump-them.

I don't play WvW so I have zero clue how this matters or not in WvW, but in both PvP and PvE this change exclusively only reduces the gameplay variety of Scrapper and makes it less effective at the same time. If you're a Scrapper please go to that thread and tell them to knock it off with these changes. Because that's their feedback thread so basically this is the ONLY chance Scrappers have to stop Anet from making their own game less fun for us.

Scrapper is not supposed to be a support. It's supposed to be a tank.

@Ghos.1326 said:

@"Aisling.5901" said:I already posted my full rant on the actual thread but in the proposed upcoming balance changes thread Anet posted, one of the things they want to do is take away Scrapper's Chemical Field and replace it with Detection Pulse. Across all game modes, not just in WvW which is what this change is based on. In the thread they highlight changes that will be WvW exclusive and this one doesn't have that, it's going to be for Scrapper as a whole.

Except it hasn't been good at being a tank in a long while, and they've made it substantially worse with the last balance patch. It's been better as a support since PoF launched, and still best serves as support.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

Except it hasn't been good at being a tank in a long while, and they've made it substantially worse with the last balance patch. It's been better as a support since PoF launched, and still best serves as support.

If they just bump up Impact Savant to do a 20% damage to barrier conversion instead of the current 15%, it could be better at tanking overall. Or, if they brought back the old functionality of Adaptive Armor, but nerfed its barrier gained on hit and made it the GM minor, and put Impact Savant as the GM major selectable trait, and then heavily nerfed IS, it could bring back its tankiness. It would look something like this:Adaptive Armor: gain barrier when struck (direct or condition damage). your vitality is reduced, but your toughness is increased.Barrier when struck: 624-300 vitality+300 toughness

Then Impact Savant would be:Impact Savant: damage you deal (including condition damage) is converted to barrier, and condition damage on you is reduced while you have barrier.damage to barrier: 5%reduced condition damage when barrier active: -20%

But as is now, scrapper can't tank much of anything because it's needing to take more damage vs defense to get that barrier.

In my opinion, it's a bad deal. The function gyro took away the Reveal option by being forced into f5. It makes little sense to change Another gyro to replace it's original function with what we used to have. That's beyond messy.

If they wanted to be clever about it, they'd add a mandatory large scale reveal on the Function Gyro F5 instead of hijacking another gyro to fix Something they broke.I also disagree with their intent to remove some condi cleanses off of purge gyro. The skill is Literally a condi cleanse. It takes a whole utility skill slot to Only condi cleanses. Most classes' condi cleanses have additional effects. The fact it cleans so much is in fact a necessity for the sake of value.As many pointed out before, Antitoxin rune is where the problem is at.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@redwing.9580 said:in wvw the nerfs to stealth gyro where needed, (both in the increased CD and the now increased reveals in the game from swapping tool belts around) though I do not agree with the condi gyro cleanses, scrapper on its own has enough cleanses but the issue comes from anti toxin that basically doubles themNeeded why? What is the roamer scrapper competing against? Nothing thats what. Every other roamer has as strong or stronger builds. What is the zerg scrapper competing against?
Kitten scourges

If you want a nerf to anti-toxin I dont disagree (short icd like every other rune would be fine). If we want to reintroduce the detection pulse to actually counter zerg stealth pushes I dont disagree either. Loosing the chemical field would be yet another blow to condi scrapper
but I can live with that
. The utility in detection pulse takes precedence IMO. But the nerf to the gyros themselves are not needed. Not after what Anet did to the trait line.

But Purge Gyro is NOT the vector to do it in. The problem I, and from the looks of the forums a lot others, the way they're doing it is following the same fundamentally flawed logic that lead to us into this situation in the first place. Trying to place Detection pulse on purge gyro is emblematic of the fact that they are ONLY looking at the current meta builds, and trying shuffle things around within them. Its the first thing I noticed about almost all the changes..... they're trying to nerf them as hard as possible, but just enough that people won't develop different builds in response. None of it tries to address the real underlying problem of how Offensive scales in WvW, or that overwhelming defense is the only thing that has any chance of sustaining through it. Its why Boonshare and Stab spam got started in the first place. Is also why when Firebrand cleansing was reigned in (when they increased cool down on tomes), Purge Scrapper was pull out of the attic to fill that role as counter force to Scourge. Its an old build... but its the first time in a long time that being able to cleanse 15+ conditions a second was a practical necessity.

No one I've seen has pointed out that both Scourge and Scrapper changes is metrically balance.... That is a HUGE red flag, because its assuming Antitoxin as baseline,just lowering the overall conversion rate, and doesn't address the fact most of the damage from Scourge right now is Power based. While I agree that Sand Savant is the root of Scourge's ability to indiscriminately damage everything like a lawn mower..... I'm also torn over the fact that what Sand Savant does is currently the one thing that truly makes the shade worth using.

Adding back detection pulse is trading your poison field for arguably the most useful trait in tools, I think they lost it. I mean imagine putting on a toolbelt skill that thematically doesn't even make sense for purge gyro just because they got rid of the F5 on scrapper, which was just to make function gyro worse, because scrapper as a whole needed to be worse, I guess? To say nothing of the rest. Goodness...

Want detection pulse back. ANET!!!!!!!!!! Stop nerfing an already broken class. It's so frustrating. Listen to the Engineer players. Not other classes coming into this thread to complain about being beat or killed by a better more skilled player. Not better Class! grrrr! Stop this madness! Make it better, not worse!

The best thing ArenaNet could do is make the core engineer as good to play as core guardian, warrior or elementalist. That means kits and turrets reworked, and core weapons brought up to par.

The other thing they ought to do is shout about a gameplay focus that sets the engineer apart from other classes, like say, heavily transmuting conditions to boons in a support role, and offering the widest variety of blast combos. When somebody asks, "So what's the engineer about?", the answer needs to be something specific like "transmuting conditions and blast combos", "area denial and close range support", or whatever as long as it's a clear and useful role.

Once the core engineer feels tight, and I mean up to par with other cores, which it's not, then we can look at the elite specs. The elite specs hang off the core, so if the core is rotten, well, the elite spec is going to feel like a shallow gimmick until that's sorted.

@Prinzsecond.4863 said:

@"JETWING.2759" said:It's a good trade.Detection pulse will able Scrappers to dispense the "Tool Tree" for get an anti stealth.Scrapper are a power spec. Don't needs poison filed.

The poison field is not for damage but to reduce healing and for weakness comboing.

You ll not need reduce the enemy heal if equip THIS BUILD -> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAQlRw6YQMH2JW8S+tfA-zZIPBVOA;)

They ll die before thinks to press heal button.