Does the opinion matter of the players that were once hyped up about the concept of WvW but not now?

Knighthonor.4061

Does the opinion matter of the players that were once hyped up about the concept of WvW but dont like it now?

I asked on the other forum but figured I should ask here as well.

I am curious on where you all stand on this subject.

WvW still has a diehard population that still play and I am not taking away from that,but their desires may be different from others who were once excited about the concept of WvW, but may not like it anymore or play it anymore.

Do their opinions matter in the discussion to improve WvW?

The game mode changed from open world sandbox PvP to a PvE map that allows playing killing.

listening to older players will bring back that sandbox pvp feeling, listening to the newer players takes us further down the marked and warclaw road which has shown to kill off the players who preferred the game mode as a sandbox pvp area.

the older players and the mentality they have about WvW being a warzone with no need for loot have kept the mode alive for 6 or more years and not once needed voice actors, content or storylines to stay interested in the game mode.The market that WvW sells to now is the other crowd... and well.... just look at the server status for an idea on how well the other crowd keeps the mode populated only 6 months in. I doubt they'll last another 18 months let alone 6 years.

so tldr: depends on where you want the game to be in 3 years. You can listen to those who understand why WvW was so successful being the main market for open world RvR or we can continue down this road to be like every other game and then wonder why people left.

WvW in this game was once a truly unique experience on the gaming market but now via recent changes to avoid combat it has lost its uniqueness.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Does the opinion matter of the players that were once hyped up about the concept of WvW but dont like it now?

I asked on the other forum but figured I should ask here as well.

I am curious on where you all stand on this subject.

WvW still has a diehard population that still play and I am not taking away from that,but their desires may be different from others who were once excited about the concept of WvW, but may not like it anymore or play it anymore.

Do their opinions matter in the discussion to improve WvW?

Depends how much money you spend. That's not me being glib either. If you opinion is on the side of the people that spend the most, you will be heard.

People that were once hyped and eventually burned out still have useful opinions. I'd love to hear what made them fall in love in the first place and what wore that affection down.

The people who have stayed tend to be those who aren't all that interested in WvW so much as GvG, though I hear that crowd may have finally collapsed as well. Since Anet hasn't given us much direction on what WvW is meant to be and their updates have gone in contradictory directions, plenty of folks have just lost hope of the mode ever living up to that initial promise.

@Sviel.7493 said:People that were once hyped and eventually burned out still have useful opinions. I'd love to hear what made them fall in love in the first place and what wore that affection down.

The people who have stayed tend to be those who aren't all that interested in WvW so much as GvG, though I hear that crowd may have finally collapsed as well. Since Anet hasn't given us much direction on what WvW is meant to be and their updates have gone in contradictory directions, plenty of folks have just lost hope of the mode ever living up to that initial promise.

its not just that but I think the vision for Anet has changed.

Up until the firing and Warclaw, devs used to say they want to encourage player combat and provide more encounters for all players... since then they have steered the other direction??

its plausible to me now that one day we'll be given a check box before entering WvW to exclude ourselves from all player engagements and only allowed to attack or be attacked by NPCs.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the opinions matter of the players that may not like or play WvW anymore? Or the players who were once hyped up about it but not now, regardless of playing status?

both. People that dont play WvW or dont like WvW but were once hyped about the feature

Are you asking the devs if player opinion matters?

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Chaba.5410" said:I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the opinions matter of the players that may not like or play WvW anymore? Or the players who were once hyped up about it but not now, regardless of playing status?

both. People that dont play WvW or dont like WvW but were once hyped about the feature

Are you asking the devs if player opinion matters?

Probably the same answer as asking "if player opinion matters at all for WvW?" Hue hue hue.

D:

I'd like to believe that the devs have better metrics than forum posts to determine the future development of their game modes. Not least among these would be their own professional game development experience . . .

So my answer to the OP's question would be 'I hope not . . '

I been playing WvW since early release. I have been non-stop WvW since then. Eternal Battlegrounds. Borderlands. Obsidian Sanctum. Edge of the Mist. Been doing them since the beginning and I have not slowed down. I do the PvE content when it launches, and then i'm right into the thick of WvW for couple hours a day.

If the feedback results in an increase in playerbase, yes. We have seen people dip back in after changes so it can happen. But sometimes it's a matter of timeliness. Your question is a valid one on that front since if Anet is running with feedback from 2 years ago and are just now getting to those projects, it may no longer be such a driver as it once was. That's why having some high level roadmap of things in works may add value so people have an inkling of what's going on. Personally I still think mounts would have gone over better to some if it wasn't just dropped in like it did. There's some value in getting player mindset adjusted. I understand the otherside where it gives people time to get worked up but I am of the opinion sooner would be better than later. I know the statement is they like to delight us with changes but we can do that in the PvE game mode. Changes here impacts play more since we probably aren't going to have Kralk show up next week in EB, but knowing we might have more options for mobility a ways out might have people questioning that new build they were in the middle of creating that may now be pointless. Look at one of the recent posts, knowing that they are looking at making encounters that include both sides being more meaningful address a number of past posts. But if we found out that they were looking to add Kodan because some wanted Kodan added as a set of NPCs people could be like, little late for that that RP WvW guild is gone. I knowing using extremes but...limited knowledge can be good as well as bad, prefer to think it would good.

I mean, I'm not sure any player's opinion ever really matters to anyone but themselves.

Since my opinion matters to me though, my preference has always been towards large scale disorganised combat, and the more the game and play styles veered towards voice coms and finely tuned GvG groups the less interested I got. Luckily for me the outskirts of those kinds of groups were still usually disorganised and fun to play in.

I don't mean to be dissing a play style btw, I just personally don't find it as interesting as the alternative. What I loved about GW2's combat so much in the early days of WvW was the random spontaneous synergies and rhythms you found yourself in with complete strangers as you worked towards a shared goal, and gaining or losing ground in large scale combats was more gradual and (for me) engaging.

That's why whenever I hear people ask for changes in WvW I always ask to remove the ability of players to stack. It feels like it would change so much simultaneously.

• 2 weeks later...

@Biermeister.4678 said:They need an underwater map and make EB into. Jungle map

Yes we need new maps, i would like to see each bls be a different map, they never really evolved over the years apart from desert bls which is much easier to cover with warclaw now, why in 7 years have we only ever got 1 new map, i mean they changed all bls to desert to start with that was a huge mistake at the time hence why only 1 is that now, we need 2 other new bls map ice theme jungle theme wat ever more detail and more complex like the desert bls that seems larger, i say the maps are stuck in 2012 and that's not progressive for the game mode, i look at the ever evolving pve maps and say wow some1 has serious talent artistically here and whys that love not shown for wvw. I'm tired of boring blob fights and laaaggggg i never played wvw for rewards or bags i played purely for sheer fun it used to mean something to win though as a server now with linking servers that took that feeling away i just felt that was wrong. The game mode is seriously stale and stagnant anet please give it resuscitation its like its been given a never rezz ticket.

i'd also like to see an event where wvw goes bk to basics no gliding no warclaw and all core classes.... yay and orbs don't forget the orbs....

A) Listening to anyone who can form proper and objective arguments is always the best way. That is an MMO/industry problem however and GW2 is a game that is created in the micro-transaction era of the gaming industry. It has had it's ups and downs, who to listen to is an obvious down. ArenaNet is also an american company more subjected to american market and communication traditions. That also plays a role. We can dive deep into that but perhaps not now. The main argument here is that what is best for a game looking at product quality alone is the same things that apply to most anything, eg., science. Truth matters, both positive truth and statistic truth (or best plausible truth). Therefore oppinion alone matters less than arguments or attempting to prove a point towards a perceived truth. It also helps discussion because discussing arguments is less likely to cause defamation/trolling than oppinions.

B ) Listening to people who are willing to create content is more valuable than listening to people who are only willing to consume content. That, at its core, is also for a very simple and concrete reason: Players who consume are only there if someone else is creating something that they can consume. The mode is healthy if it only has creators but it is dead if it only has consumers. However, the mode does not need to have all creators to be healthy, just a sufficient amount. Eg., building a game for people to flock onto tags in a manner that makes tags quit is a pretty bad idea. Similarily if it makes roamers quit or guilds.

Ed. If you feel like the last bit does not include every creative aspect of the mode, let me rephrase it like this: Content in this mode requires people that actively create content without tags (roamers et. al.), with closed tags (guilds) and with open tags (commanders). That is the lifeblood of the mode. If the mode is to be particularily healthy there should also be a good deal of overlap between all these creators or ways to play in the mode. At present, roamers and guilds are scarce and the players who transverse all these ways to play are even more scarce. The playerbase is not only smaller but also very entrenched at this point. It's how I became a minority, I used to be a majority. I am still apart of a roaming guild, a GvG guild and a PvX/pickup/commander guild though all of them are by all intents and purposes dead as guilds. They are only social circles now but rather active as that. They are the living dead ;).

Need mini objectives in the same way that Old AV had side quest that helped the team.

Small things individuals can do. In Old AV, players had to run badges to help summon powerful NPC avatars that will defend base and then crush enemies on the way to enemy base. Surprised there is no way to Run Supplies from one place to another when a structure is low on supply in a fight. But something equivalent should be done.
Also there were smaller repeatable quest to gather stuff to summon calvary and air support. This should also be a thing here with the NPC neutral faction units, but they are a total joke compared. They need serious buff.

WvW needs more to do than just structure exchange.

We need more ways to play and fight. WoW long time ago added mobile siege engines and tanks and stuff like that. We need stuff like that here, thats more accessible to all players to use and have fun with.

There are so many great ideas in the GW2 PvE, that would be great additions to WvW, such as the Environmental Weapon concept. We should have Environmental Weapons with preset skills as well. This would shake up the game play for us between Expansions, by pretty much giving us a new set of skills to fight with that Developers of WvW can set and tweek independently of PvE content since its all set to an weapon of some kind that you picked up on the battlefield.

The Rewards in WvW should also be better. Forget the armor sets and Weapon sets model. Give us 1 Unique Skin per Weapon type, independent of each other instead of in a Set, so artist can be more creative, and make them well worth the grind to get in WvW. Make people want to WvW.

Reduce the number of hits to Dismount enemies and add mount traps. But at the same time, add a new rez mechanic to the game other than those stupid Waypoints from Vanilla.Add some new form of Rez system that have players fighting and capturing revive locations and set Revive locations to work like in FPS games which use Timers to regulate the revive, not these stupid waypoints which can be contested by a solo player attacking a structure door. If Revival was handled better we wouldnt need Mounts to be as effective as they are today.

Make Holding SMC Important and most important. Make it bad to just trade SMC to retake.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Opal.9324 said:Seems like these days the only opinions that matter in WvW are the opinions of PvE players, and the opinions of those who only wish to fight when they outnumber their opponents.

I disagree. if that was the case there would be more side objectives on the maps besides Zerging.

No, more sideobjects would mean that they would have to split up to hold them.

Splitting up would mean to have to actually use your brain. Most pve players dont like to use their brain and just mindlessly follow a tag to rake in the rewards.Good examples are the karmatrains that happened in eotm, back in the day when it was populated, because it still had rewards. Another example was (is? I think nowadays exist better ways to make money) the champ train in frostgorge sound i think it was called.

Splitting up would also increase the chance to be outnumbered, which opal said they didnt want to

@RedShark.9548 said:

@Opal.9324 said:Seems like these days the only opinions that matter in WvW are the opinions of PvE players, and the opinions of those who only wish to fight when they outnumber their opponents.

I disagree. if that was the case there would be more side objectives on the maps besides Zerging.

Splitting up would mean to have to actually use your brain. Most pve players dont like to use their brain and just mindlessly follow a tag to rake in the rewards.Good examples are the karmatrains that happened in eotm, back in the day when it was populated, because it still had rewards. Another example was (is? I think nowadays exist better ways to make money) the champ train in frostgorge sound i think it was called.

Splitting up would also increase the chance to be outnumbered, which opal said they didnt want to

not sure if you are being sarcastic and in agreement with what I said,orbeing contradicting to your own statement here.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

not sure if you are being sarcastic and in agreement with what I said,orbeing contradicting to your own statement here.

Opal said, that the pve player only want to zerg and that ppl only want to fight when they have the numbers advantage.

You said, that you dont agree, and, if what opal said was the case, there would be more side objectives.

I dont agree with you, because more side objectives would cause less zerging (if you want to win and hold more of those objectives at the same time) and more risk to run into a bigger group than your own, because if you run around with 2-3 ppl its more likely to run into a bigger group of like 5-10 ppl than running around with your full server blob.

Im not sure whats contradicting to my own point there.

Pve players what to mindlessly karmatrain (which works better with big objectives with big loots, eg. Keeps and sm)

Alot of small Objectives would take longer to flip with each giving alot less rewards. Also, many small objectives could be more efficiently Flipped by small roaming groups (who require to think of their own and often run into bigger groups)

The bigger your own group, the less likely it is to run into a bigger group of enemies.