Help with playing the PvE Axe mirage

Jure Simich.6154

Hello. Ive been playing GW2 since the beta, but have been neglecting my mesmer for years.

So, I got myself the build and gear for the PvE recommended build on metabattle, https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mirage_-_Axe/x_Infinite_Horizon , but due to lack of experience, I'm struggling a bit with getting the build to work right.

Would anyone using the build be so kind as to give me some recommendatiobs regarding how to play it? How to best enter combat, rotations, which skills to use immediately and which to save for tougher foes...

Open world PvE, of course.

Thanks!

1st rule : alway have 3 clones (more ambush attack)==> When it's done : spam dodge to trigger your ambush skill on auto-attack (axe), after 2 dodges, swap weapon (+50% endurance with sigil of energy) for one more dodge & search for your cloack to trigger another ambush.(you can use axe (3) to pack yours clones on target foe).

2nd rule : shatter only if you can generate 3 clones.==> to generate clone : use weapons skills (axe (2), pistol (4) or torch (5) them any deception skill (trigger an illusion) X2==> Shatter when you can't trigger ambush skill (no dogde nor cloack avalables)

To enter a combat : torch (4) => axe (2) 1 clone => deception skill (a) 2 clones => deception skill (b) 3 clones => axe (3) (pack) => spam dodge + auto attack X2 => swap weapon => dodge + auto attack => Shatter F2 => pistol (4) 1 clone / axe (2)1 clone => deception skill (a) ....

Priority shatter : F2 > F1 ....... F3 or F4.

Entering into combat, I like to do a few things.

Against a group of enemies, I just use axe 2 -> axe 2 + jaunt in the middle of it -> Cry of Frustration -> Mind Wrack This breaks convention slightly, but against a group of enemies you want to hit them with as many AoEs as possible as fast as possible. Then, follow up with torch 5 -> torch 4 -> weapon swap -> pistol 4. Once one of the phantasms spawn, spam Jaunt until you have 3 illusions, then start using using the ambush attack.

For the ambush attack, you'll to wait a full auto attack rotation before using another one. Otherwise the skill will get stuck on cooldown or the clones will refuse to fire it off. Most of the damage of the auto attack is weighted on the 3rd hit, so get used to swinging the axe 3 times between each dodge. However, if you are in danger, do not hesitate to dodge. Staying alive is more important than doing DPS.

Against an elite enemy or higher, you'll want to do what Tsan listed.

@Jure Simich.6154 said:Thanks, sounds like a plan. Time to practice.

if you are new i suggest using clone on dodge from dueling, and simply going for 2clones + dodge->shatter into 2 clones + dodge->shatter. good for starter, then you can learn to move on from that. When you enter combat always unload phantasms, they carry heavy damage and delayed clone generation, make sure to memorise how long it takes them to deliver attack into clone spawn to time it with shatter, you usually should shatter f1 and f2 off cooldown with 3 clones while having perma 3 clones. After you get the hang of it you can start playing with f3 shatter for damage.its good to torch 4+5, switch p4-> axe 3 gapclose + axe2 + dodge -> axe 2, during axe 2 shatter, when clone spawns jaunt, dodge shatter and move with the rest of the rotation.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Jure Simich.6154 said:Thanks, sounds like a plan. Time to practice.

if you are new i suggest using clone on dodge from dueling, and simply going for 2clones + dodge->shatter into 2 clones + dodge->shatter. good for starter, then you can learn to move on from that. When you enter combat always unload phantasms, they carry heavy damage and delayed clone generation, make sure to memorise how long it takes them to deliver attack into clone spawn to time it with shatter, you usually should shatter f1 and f2 off cooldown with 3 clones while having perma 3 clones. After you get the hang of it you can start playing with f3 shatter for damage.its good to torch 4+5, switch p4-> axe 3 gapclose + axe2 + dodge -> axe 2, during axe 2 shatter, when clone spawns jaunt, dodge shatter and move with the rest of the rotation.

P.S Dont get stuck with 1 rotation, try different things and most importatly UNDERSTAND WHY SOMETHING WORKS AND WHY SOMETHING DOESNT WORK, and have FUN!