[Feedback] Cooking 500

@"Kelly.7019" said:From reading the announcement (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/party-harder-with-ascended-food/) a couple days after it launched i was unaware of some things ingame. Obviously i knew i was in for some hurt not waiting for a guide :(

I also didn't wait for a guide and felt some hurt because of it; here's some additional feedback in case it helps others.

1) Thinking maxing 500 was best i quickly got to 468 and stopped cause i didn't see a clear path of getting to 500 easily. I went back and looked at that gourmet cheevo (which you can't read the last steps to because it's locked, so you don't know that each of the 5 tiers gives you an additional "10 chef progress points" until you've unlocked the full row.) :( which means STOP @ 450!, but oh it doesn't tell you that. (i got to 450 and nothing extra was unlocked- no new recipies to climb higher) So i thought maybe a little higher :(

425 unlocks the achievement. I also went to 450 because I started on Asura and one of the steps of that track requires you to craft a 450 food. But I think if you do it in the "correct" order you don't need to go any higher than 425 on your own - none of the other races require more than 425. The Dragonite ingots, Bloodstone bricks, and Portable Composter (for Norn, Human, and Sylvari respectively) give you crafting XP (can be boosted for even more) plus their 30 levels for completion. Charr doesn't require any crafting at all and adds 10, at which point you can do Asura for more XP and 10 more levels. Not sure what the optimal order is but I think it would get you very near to 500 (maybe the math says you need to do a few more levels at the start, I dunno.)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Daddicus.6128" said:The "farm it at a buddy's home" trick doesn't work. While the plant doesn't disappear, you can't farm it a second time.

Read game update notes maybe?

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/85714/game-update-notes-august-30-2019#latest

Fixed an issue that allowed ascended herb nodes to be gathered by players who were not instance owners.

Editall other garden plant nodes you can farm aslong as your buddy havent farmed em anytime before that day.

Is there a guide to ascended recipes so I don't have to waste a lot of mats on ones that are not useful to me?

I agree that the one-use of the new seeds is a real killer for this for me. I just can't justify the time and cost for something that lasts one hour, much of which I will probably be waiting to find something to do.

I actually had fun. The biggest problem I have with most of the crafting skills in this game is that they don't produce much out in the world. If you have leatherworking or huntsman at 500, all it lets you do is make ascended gear. That's it. It is just one of the ways to get ascended, and it goes nowhere aside from that. But cooking? I now have these souped up (roflpun) meals that let me give massive buffs to massive amounts of people, and I am fairly unique in my ability to do that. It puts something out in the world, and that gives me a real sense of accomplishment and impact.

The standard that I go back to is Runescape when it comes to crafting. Yes, it is an old game, but it also has an excellent crafting system. Nearly everything you learn has a real impact in the world around you, including the non-combat crafting abilities. You get unique ways to make money, unique buffs, the ability to craft unique things, the ability to interact with objects in the world in new and interesting ways, the ability to solve puzzles that otherwise could not if you don't have those skills, and so on.

GW2 is structured in such a way that it really can't do this. The closest is the wvw skills. Thankfully, cooking breaks the mold.

While the crafting quest was interesting and i hope we can say something like this to others ones, maybe all crafting will have there own place.My suggestion will be should have a vendor that it selling cooking materials, the crafting station it for nothing if we can't buy items that we require from vendor

@Julischka Bean.7491 said:I had fun with it. Will not use the ascended food, but I do not regret the merry chase to 500 :)Thumbs up!

I had fun as well! My Chef happens to be my DH so he was just sitting around anyway! I do use some of the food in WvW. The issue I have now is that Sticks of butter have become scarce! Pirates not dropping in loot bags; can't find a loot bag with a stick of butter. Now it costs 10 silver!

@Carlos Adriano.7894 said:

@Julischka Bean.7491 said:I had fun with it. Will not use the ascended food, but I do not regret the merry chase to 500 :)Thumbs up!

I had fun as well! My Chef happens to be my DH so he was just sitting around anyway! I do use some of the food in WvW. The issue I have now is that Sticks of butter have become scarce! Pirates not dropping in loot bags; can't find a loot bag with a stick of butter. Now it costs 10 silver!

Cant you farm the bandits at kessex just east of enterance from shadow behemoth worldboss?

Without doing the cooking quest, I was able to get to 492.... burned a lot of materials to get there... made several back pieces... more than what I will use....I did so some ascended prep, the ingots and such... on the stage of getting the cooking pots and pans done... should be 500 before you know it.. or at least hope so...

@Linken.6345 said:

Cant you farm the bandits at kessex just east of enterance from shadow behemoth worldboss?

I'll give it a shot. Thanks

@Jenstone.6891 said:Without doing the cooking quest, I was able to get to 492.... burned a lot of materials to get there... made several back pieces... more than what I will use....I did so some ascended prep, the ingots and such... on the stage of getting the cooking pots and pans done... should be 500 before you know it.. or at least hope so...

Check your mail; go to your home instance and talk to Simur Oxebone, I think his name is and do your advance training at his cooking station to get to 500.

@Carlos Adriano.7894 said:

@Jenstone.6891 said:Without doing the cooking quest, I was able to get to 492.... burned a lot of materials to get there... made several back pieces... more than what I will use....I did so some ascended prep, the ingots and such... on the stage of getting the cooking pots and pans done... should be 500 before you know it.. or at least hope so...

Check your mail; go to your home instance and talk to Simur Oxebone, I think his name is and do your advance training at his cooking station to get to 500.

Carlos, thank you for the information, but I finished to 500.I had already completed the 500 on my main account.This was on my alt account so I wanted to see how far I could get, by cooking without the achievement open.493 was it.Actually gained 500 with the first step of achievement process, ie the Norn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!Okay, so I am very late in joining this discussion, but I was really busy when it started so I had to put it on hold. With the new patch, I'm very pleased to see that Seimur can now sell us cooking materials, which was one thing I thought was missing.

I am overall very happy with this added content. The quests were fun to do, and I really wish we would have more occasions to do such quests with our crafts.

I know some people are unhappy that the kitchen isn't unlocked for all characters, but in my opinion this is a very good idea. While it is great to have some stuff unlocked for all of our characters in the home instance, I always felt that there wasn't enough personalized stuff. Most NPCs from the personal story, for example, don't even speak. I felt it was really nice to have my cooks get something different than my other characters. Moreover, the quest can be done multiple times with different cooks regardless of if the achievement is already unlocked or not, and that, I thought, was really, really awesome, because it meant I could get cooks with different, personalized kitchens! My main cook had her bad*ss bloodstone oven built, for example (which honestly is the best use for bloodstone I've seen since ever, and Seimur's reaction was hilarious), while my alt cooks kept the cute basic oven. I really appreciate that and hope Arena will keep making content that is not Account-wide, but specific to the characters.

Now I have a few things I wish could be changed. First, I see that someone has already said it, but the place chosen for the kitchen isn't always the best fitted. The kitchens in Hoelbrak, Rata Sum, and Black Citadel are just fine. The ones in the Grove and Divinity's Reach though... are not placed well. My Sylvari cook has the white stag in her personal story, which means that the kitchen, with its bucket of blood, is situated right in front of the white stag! It's also a place that is clearly a hall where people move, so it's really unpractical. I hope the kitchen will be moved. Anywhere else will be fine, but please not in front of the white stag nor in the middle of a hall!

@"anninke.7469" said:On a less serious note.I'm not sure about placing the kitchen this near to the White Stag in the Grove. Some chefs might be getting... uhm... ideas.

bLG5kWt.jpg

The one in Divinity's reach is just... bad. The kitchen is right in the open, outside. I wish it could be moved inside a house, or, for example, Petra's bar, or, if your character's a human noble, inside the noble house. But having the kitchen outside is just a shame and breaks game immersion.

I also wish more care would've been put into the design of the kitchen. The oven is just fine, especially seeing we can build the bloodstone one. But the rest is disappointingly always the same, no matter which home instance you're in, and so it can stand out like a sore thumb. I would love it if the table and tools would look different following the city you're in. It is a missed opportunity to give us cool cultural designs -a table made with leaves or mushrooms for the Grove, a table with intricate Norn designs for Hoelbrak, a table with a geometric shape for Rata Sum...- just like the gardening plots, which look amazing and have different cultural looks.

Now back to the achievements being unlocked account-wide, while I think it's perfectly okay with the gardening plot since it's similar to all the chests and other gathering nodes, the one with the meat on the contrary really annoys me. My main cook is the only one who learned how to obtain a high-quality slab of meat, but all my characters, even non-cooks, can now do it. I understand it would be annoying if the high-quality slab of meat could only be gathered by the lvl 500 cook, but at the same time... wouldn't it be better? It's supposed to be a rare ingredient for ascended cooking, but with all my characters I can get it, and I get it quite often that now I have lots of those. It breaks game immersion to me.

Also, it's already been said, but I don't get why some food durations were reduced to 30 minutes. It serves no purpose over than trying too hard to promote ascended food that we're going to make anyway, and it's really frustrating.

Overall, I'm very happy with the add, and hope the other crafts would get some similar quests. I am very happy too that it's a great occasion to personalize our characters' home instances. I just really, really wish the design and the placement of the kitchen would be improved in the future.

• 11 months later...