Which build is right for a noob like me?

TheMightyHamm.9246

Hello everyone,First off, I consider myself a noob but I did play when the game first came out. I have access to all the expansions but have only just started heart of thorns.

I am a support player at heart, in every mmo I play, I usually gravitate toward a healing or support role and, most often, the paladin type class. This is what drew me to guardian initially. However at launch, investing too heavily in supporting others seemed to be frowned upon and drove me away from the game.

I’d like to get back into it but all my Google-Fu and research has left me a bit perplexed as to where to even begin. If I understand it correctly, firebrand - namely Quickbrand, May be the route I take and the build for me, but not entirely sure if it is or even how to get there. I’m partial to greatsword and mace/shield or whatever/shield but not sure if that’s a good combo or would even work.

My time is severely limited currently so I guess I’m just more into doing story and open world things and understand that as a support player, I may be slower at dpsing enemies down but I’m at peace with that.

In summation, would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for a guardian build focused on:-Support Play-survivability-greatsword and shield play-open world and or story focused mainly-occasional fractal play

Thank you all, and I’ll continue to research as I await any answers I may get

The metabattle power/support/fractal build tells you to run Amulet and both rings as Diviner. That's 23% boon duration.Unless you know you'll be getting consistent Alacrity, that's not enough to keep Quickness up.But that's why it's on metabattle. Since it's listed in the Fractal section they assume you'll be using that build in a party with Alacrity.In the Open World section, you'll find another Quickness Firebrand build, but it's focus'd almost entirely on personal DPS because they assume that's what you want in an Open World build.

Metabattle builds make assumptions. They have to, since they're trying to min/max. As Trollocks said, you just have to use them as a starting point and try to tweak them to better match your playstyle unless the assumptions they're making match the content and group composition you're playing with.

You say you like Greatsword and Mace. Those are two weapons with dramatically different purposes. Greatsword is fantastic DPS weapon. But the only "support" it's got is retaliation. That's just about the worst support boon in the game. Mace/Shield, on the other hand is a fantastic support weapon. Regen, direct heals, aegis, quickness, projectile absorb... they're all incredible. But no matter how you build Mace/Shield, its DPS is going to disappoint.

If you'll be primarily playing with friends, then Mace/Staff Harriers' Firebrand similar to the Metabattle Raid Support/Healer build will make them virtually unkillable and dramatically increase their damage. (note that build hasn't been updated in quite a while, so just use it as a template and tweak it).I've been running a Quickness Hammer Firebrand for solo story/open world that's been very survivable (despite running full berserkers), offers a ton of support, and retains quite respectable DPS.There are options.

• 1 month later...

If you are just going to be doing story and open world go with a pure DPS. build, condi or power. Support builds are for, raids, high end fractals, pvp, and WvW squads. Just pick one of the DPS builds from meta battle, learn the rotations, and then learn to tweak the skills to fit the situation you find yourself in.