Low FPS with 5700xt

Surprised nobody chimed in here. With AMD GPUs there is no forced directx9 multithreading within the driver, you'll want to use d9vk to achieve higher multi-threading (commonly used for Linux users too). Another alternative is d912pxy , which doesn't have the backing of Valve.

Ryzen CPU is not the problem generally unless you're running really slow memory and poor FCLK speeds, Navi-based GPUs are just not fully baked yet driver-wise. It is a RDNA architecture GPU having to deal with compatibility with GCN oriented code.

Additionally in some cases people had better results forcing PCIE 3.0 speed on their RX 5700 XT versus PCIE 4.0.

If you turn shadows off & model limit setting to lower settings it will lower CPU usage.

see also: https://community.amd.com/thread/242177

@Lipstickxx.1043 said:Hi,

I am getting really low fps (20-30) @ 1080p using a 3700x / 5700xt with 16GB of RAM.

Anyone else with the same or close specs experiencing low fps as well?Maxxed out that's normal in player heavy scenarios (world bosses, wvw...). Current CPUs can't achieve more as the game does tons of skill-usage calculations and draw calls in the background. You GPU is not the problem.

I've played GW2 on at least 4 different AMD GPUs and they all were CPU limited in this game.

@"Infusion.7149" said:Surprised nobody chimed in here. With AMD GPUs there is no forced directx9 multithreading within the driver, you'll want to use d9vk to achieve higher multi-threading (commonly used for Linux users too). Another alternative is d912pxy , which doesn't have the backing of Valve.

see also: https://community.amd.com/thread/242177Besides the fact that d9vk is a direct x wrapper for linux and we are talking about native windows applications here - so throwing it in is completely useless...

...applications like d912pxy are all placebo bull-shit. If they would work, then AMD and Nvidia would have included their functionality in their drivers a long time ago. No GPU manufacturer has an interest in poor performance if there is an easy fix. Just use your brain!

AMDs multithreading is done in hardware on the GPU. That lowers driver overhead but is less flexible than Nvidia's driver solution (so poor programming can mess up your performance), but which causes unnecessary overhead in low level applications (because the programmer has full control over the multithreading). So both implementations have benefits and drawbacks. But one is for sure: You can not override any of them via a simple program.

At best such a "hack" application doesn't affect performance at all. At worst they cost performance or cause instabilitites. The guy in your link has other issues located in his system configuration. Jumping fps between 2 and 60 is not normal for any AMD GPU in GW2.

The game engine has one main thread and auxiliary threads for other things so yes it's CPU bound to an extent.d9vk works on Windows ("A Simple Guide to D9VK on Windows For Guild Wars 2" on Youtube , you should watch it). I know because I have used it on Windows. If it were a placebo then people that were getting FPS in the low teens and twenties with newer GPUs wouldn't be reporting an improvement on world bosses and in WvW.

Obviously there is less improvement on Nvidia GPUs compared to on AMD GPUs.

This is not imaginary: the scaling is poorer on DX11 as well, see this article from Intel: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-methods-and-practices-of-directx-11-multithreaded-renderingwhen the number of CPU cores is greater than two, the DirectX 11 multithreaded rendering performance is significantly better than that of single-threaded rendering, regardless of which GPU is used, and the performance increases as the number of cores increases. When paired with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, multicore performance scales very well; performance increase is almost linear from 2 to 6 cores. Even from 6 to 10 cores, the performance increase is significant. When paired with AMD Radeon RX Vega 64, the scalability is worse than that; especially when the number of CPU cores exceeds 4, the performance increase is almost negligible.

The 5700(XT) performance drops are related to some driver issue with GW2 (like I mentioned above). It has nothing to do with DX9 or 12 or some wrapper.

That application is all placebo. I have watched tons of benchmarks regarding that wrapper and none showed any real improvement. I get the same fps without any wrapper. And all I can see there is different fps due to different amount of action on the screen or different camera angles. You can not reproduce a multiplayer scene so you will never be able to compare the exact amount of fps.

5700(XT) users: Just wait for a driver fix!

@yMpuu.8762 said:Poor poor AMD, for a decade they still have their issues with horrible GPU drivers support. A lot of horse power in their hardware .. but not drivers to drive that horse power properly. This is an issue like forever with AMD :(

Ejem... If you look at fps issues posted in this forum over the past 2 years, you'll see 95% are Nvidia users.I've used R9 285 and RX580 for 4-5 years, installing pretty much every driver AMD has launched, and 0 issues with Gw2.

@Maze.3825 said:

@Zagreus.8509 said:It isn't really up for debate, that d912pxy increases fps and fixes the problem with the 5700XT.

I have a 5700XT without it the game runs like kitten and is unplayable, with it, it runs buttery smooth at max settings 4K.

Still runs oddly, poorly with d912pxy and has odd graphics; at least with max graphics.

The only problem I notice is when opening the game sometimes it takes a little longer to properly load.

Other than that it's a big improvement with vs without.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting really low fps (20-30) @ 1080p using a 3700x / 5700xt with 16GB of RAM.

Anyone else with the same or close specs experiencing low fps as well?

Anyone else with the same or close specs experiencing low fps as well?

any improvements since the original post?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,just want to bump up this still unsolved issue and share my experience.Changing from Vega64 to 5700XT graphics card nearly made GW2 unplayable for me, even with low settings (low FPS, short freezes...)(System: CPU 3700X; 16GB Ram; X470 Prime Pro Mainboard, latest Win10 64)None of the GW support suggestions brought improvement (reinstalled Win10, deactivated background processes etc. etc. - spent hours on that!)

My solution now is also the d912pxy - with that GW2 is now well playable in 4k with nearly max. settings (thanks so much for that!)

But I would really expect an "official" solution either bei Anet or AMD, whatever the exact rootcause for the issue is!

5700XT owner here as well. For me the game runs fantastic with D9VK on Win 8.1. The releases are here: https://git.froggi.es/joshua/d9vk/-/jobs/, drop the x64/d3d9.dll and x64/dxgi.dll into the bin64 folder and that's pretty much it. No TAcO though, kind of...

I created 2 bat files for the D9VK option and the TAcO option:

1. No TacO / filename.bat in the bin64 folder@ECHO OFFren _d3d9.dll d3d9.dllren _dxgi.dll dxgi.dllcd..START Gw2-64.exe

2.TAcO / filename.bat in the bin64 folder@ECHO OFFren d3d9.dll _d3d9.dllren dxgi.dll _dxgi.dllcd..START Gw2-64.exec:cd "path_to\GW2 TacO\"START GW2TacO.exe

Nothing pretty, but works for me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@SirTomato.3627 said:I have similar problem and everybody saying that d912pxy is the best solution. But it don't work with Windows 8.

So every user that used to Win8 should update to 10 just for GW2? That ridiculous

Well, you're on a OS that's already out of support, did you expect everything to run smoothly? Considering that W10 is about to be 5 years old this summer, there is little reasons to complain when self-holding in older OS...

Hello all -

New player to GW2, noticed fairly low fps in some areas while playing, but ruled it out to just be poor optimization or the fact that I dont have the entire game downloaded just yet. I'm playing at that little arrow the downloader/client points out you can launch the game from before its fully downloaded.

Anyway... I've been getting random freezes where everything on screen except the cursor just stops moving. I can still hear the game and its music, and I can still move the cursor around, but I cant get out of game - its frozen and completely unresponsive. Windows seems to be responsive, I can control alt delete, etc... however GW2 game seems to force itself on-top of all other windows and cant be closed in this state. Super odd...

Any advice would be great.

Running R5 2600, 16GB RAM, Strix 5700XT.

Perhaps I should wait for the entire game to be downloaded and see how it is after, and/or give d612pxy a try?