Simple Tricks for ranked

xp eke xp.6724

Hey guys lets start collecting tricks that help out at ranked!

1. If you cant beat them, join them! Just play the profession you have trouble against, so you play something new and at best learn the weaknesses of him
  2. Optimize your Buttons. thats important cause you buy yourself time. Lets say you need 1 second to push one of your skills cause you klick on it or have to stretch your fingers. If you optimize it, you need less time and can react faster or overwelm others.
  3. its allways your fault! you won´t get better by blaming others. Fokus on your gameplay
  4. ranked is gambling not compeditive! So its not needed to tryhard or to force others to do so.
  5. Be nice. We are all role models, even if we dont want to! If you think it´s ok to flame, others will follow, same to the opposite ;)

You have more? then go on! try to stay short.

Stay close to a point if your team fights there so you can support each other, but don't just blindly stand in the node circle as you'll be an easy target for AoE.

Rather let the enemy decap/cap the node instead of blindly rushing to the point and dying over and over again, especially if you know you can't win the fight alone and nobody on the minimap seems to rotate towards you. Also don't blame your team then, rotate accordingly and help somewhere else, you may snowball away and retake the point easily.

You don't need a tripple cap, 2 points are enough to take and keep the lead, if your team manages to keep the third point neutral even better. But don't spread out across the map after you've capped the second point or something. Stay within your half of the map and just defend, THEY have to take action to reclaim nodes, not you.

If you're getting snowballed, don't simply give up. You can even come back from 400:200 games and still win. If your team has been killed on mid twice before it won't work on the third try either. Rather try to split the opponent's attention and try to outnumber them at some point. You may be able to snowball yourself.

Improve your map awareness and general awareness about your current situation. If your mates rotate away from the team fight don't just stay and die, rotate away as well. Or if you 1v1 or something be aware of if you're getting +1'ed soon (like if you are on far and your team just got killed on mid, you're gonna have a bad time soon if you just stick to far)

If you have someone in your team who's flaming just block the player. I find it really distracting if someone spams the team chat and especially if they are insulting or something, everyone gets involved and the team play suffers from it.

Play according to your role. So for example if you play Sw/Sw Shiro/Glint Rev you shouldn't be the first one to engage into a mid fight or as a Scourge you shouldn't go decapping far. This is especially true if you are doing someone else's job by doing that. So in the example of the far decapping scourge - who might be too impatient for the thief to decap - he is actually hurting more than it is worth. By rotating to far he forces someone from the enemy team to also follow to far (maybe even 2) and by doing that blocks the node for the thief.

In addition to point 11: Let your team mates do their job as they think is good. Just because the thief doesn't immediately rotate to far doesn't mean he is lazy or has bad map awareness. Maybe there's a side noder camping on far and he can't decap. Or maybe your sidenoder is just straight afk-ing on close, not because he's actually afk but because the enemy thief/mesmer/whatever is constantly around and decapping as soon as the node is unattended for a couple of seconds.

In addition to the previous 2 points: Don't assume the worst from your team mates and if you actually notice something they could improve on you can also give them kind advices instead of flaming them. More often than not a lot of people are willing to accept your suggestion if you treat them like an actual human being and not a degenerated monkey.

Just don't be a dick. Also it's a game and you will always have some retards in your matches, you just have to get over it and rather take a break inb4 toxicity consumes you.

I actually don’t suggest blocking team chat or a player. Even if they are mad and flaming, that still might be providing information that you might need in order to win the game.

If a player yells “Stop kittening zerging noobs” then you should pay attention to how your players are moving across the map...if you find yourself with the other 3 players on a node fighting a warrior then what this flaming player is saying is true and you should change your strategy to stop zerging.

Some great tips here! I'll add a few.

1. In 1v1's, try to bait out dodges any way that you can. Psychology plays a big role in 1v1s. Simply getting close to your opponent like you're going to use a skill but then instead jumping can make them panic and blow a dodge. Works best when you have them pressured with only a few cd's left.

2. If ever you are in a situation where you aren't able to win the fight, just kite and sustain as long as you possibly can and waste their time. Have to make sure that you have it in your kit to do so before the match starts. If you do it on a muted node even better. Make them earn that +5 from you.

3. Public network routes are a nightmare for any MMO player in my experience and they are worse for PvP. They are laced with unpredictable lag spikes/packet loss, among other things. I would recommend trying a VPN service like BattlePing to make sure that your play experience is crisp and responsive.

Exploit the match making!

The system usually matches you against a class that you're queueing as. Did you have a Ele that fed home the whole time last game? Simply queue up as Ele, then you'll most likely get matched against them. Then just go to character select and pick an actual good class and proceed to farm them.

I hope more people do this. Character swapping in ranked shouldn't be a thing, and more people who do it will make it get fixed faster.

@xp eke xp.6724 said:Hey guys lets start collecting tricks that help out at ranked!

1. If you cant beat them, join them! Just play the profession you have trouble against, so you play something new and at best learn the weaknesses of him

Dont people usually QQ/rage against people that play something new in ranked? (saying something like they should play something new in unranked only)?

@shippage.1983 said:Exploit the match making!

The system usually matches you against a class that you're queueing as. Did you have a Ele that fed home the whole time last game? Simply queue up as Ele, then you'll most likely get matched against them. Then just go to character select and pick an actual good class and proceed to farm them.

I hope more people do this. Character swapping in ranked shouldn't be a thing, and more people who do it will make it get fixed faster.

This is the best one.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@xp eke xp.6724 said:Hey guys lets start collecting tricks that help out at ranked!

Dont people usually QQ/rage against people that play something new in ranked? (saying something like they should play something new in unranked only)?

Got to farm Ascension somehow :smile:

2. Optimize your Buttons. thats important cause you buy yourself time. Lets say you need 1 second to push one of your skills cause you klick on it or have to stretch your fingers. If you optimize it, you need less time and can react faster or overwelm others.
  3. its allways your fault! you won´t get better by blaming others. Fokus on your gameplay
  4. ranked is gambling not compeditive! So its not needed to tryhard or to force others to do so.
  5. Be nice. We are all role models, even if we dont want to! If you think it´s ok to flame, others will follow, same to the opposite ;)

You have more? then go on! try to stay short.

Number 4 helped me when I realised it, but it also makes me care a lot less which is not good for the game mode

• 2 weeks later...

I have some more tricks as well.

• Know your role. Duelists like mesmers or warriors should go on side nodes, supports like scourges should be in the team fight, or roamers like thieves should focus on (de-) capping nodes since they have such a high mobility.If you are a scourge, you should support your team, which means, rotate to wherever is the biggest teamfight. Always be moving, never afk alone on a node, just look out where you can help right now. Exceptions: If no one is capping anything, just fighting off-point without any need and your team is losing, nothing seems to work out: Then I sometimes go far just to distract enemy players. It requires knowledge of good positioning and strategic uses of spectral walk or flesh worm. Sometimes I have 2-3 players on far for 2-3 minutes. This gives our team time to cap the other two nodes. It works well as a scourge, because that strategy is well known for weavers (so players leave the node, they know it is hard to kill), but as a scourge you are expected to die easily, so they just won't seem to give up chasing you. Also know that as a scourge you'll get instantly focused, so try out different strategies to survive in the beginning of the game.

• Don't waste too much time on a node that is not yours. Weavers, Firebrand, Scrappers... These classes are often trying to waste your time on a node. The points are ticking for them. You could be much useful elsewhere. If you can't kill him and no one is coming to help you, just leave it. It is the same with the bell on Capricorn, for instance. If YOUR team has most nodes, yeah, you can waste time on bell while the points are ticking in your favor. But if the enemy team has them capped, don't waste too much time on the bell. Especially not when it is the first one. (= only 15 points) At least decap. Same with skyhammer etc.

• Never give up. I won so many games even with like 20 - 150 just because the enemy team got too greedy, went far, we regrouped and killed everyone. We snowballed our way back in the game. Even more so on the maps with special mechanics like the Capricorn.

• Know when to leave. If you are on low health OR you have every skill on cool-down, just leave. As I was still in gold few seasons ago people liked to tell "stay in point", even if that means dying. This is just not right. If dead, you are 15 seconds just gone from the game, and you even need a few seconds more to get on a node again, so dying is the worst that can happen to you. You should always kite if it means surviving While kiting, there's a good chance someone will help you out and you can fight together.

• Scourge-only tip: if you play blood scourge and use the F4, use clever positioning. In Khylo for instance, you can position yourself under the clocktower, use F4 above you where the teamfight is going on and any of your players will get teleported down to you. This gives you some time to rez. If you don't position yourself well, be aware of ppl just waiting for you to rez in order to just dump every fricking skill on you and mash every button just to kill you too. It is like a trap. It still happens to me. I have a player almost revived...just a little bit...a little bit...and I am dead as well. Being to greedy. So train your situational awareness and really think about if a rez is possible or not.

• Communicate with your team. If you think things are not going well, let them know what is happening on the map. Maybe they are not good enough yet to have the rotational knowledge or everything at the same time (skills, kiting, rotating...) is too much for them. Just let them now if players are incoming mid, let them know if there are players camping close or draw the numbers of current enemies on the nodes on the map. Don't ever be toxic, it just encourages players to play even WORSE, so if you really want a chance to WIN the game, give polite and friendly advice. If you still lose, at least you have done everything you could AND maybe in the next games, the players profit from your advice resulting in better match quality overall.PLEASE don't spam the pinging. Yes, if it is important, you can ping a few times, like for the 8.30 buffs on Temple of the Silent Storm, but don't ping like for 20 seconds! It really distract players from fighting to hear this sound and everyone should have seen / heard it by pinging 3-4 times.

• Learn animations. If you have problems with certain classes, play them yourself and learn their animations. Holo is still op and the cc-chain ridiculous, but at least I know the exact animations and know when to dodge or corrupt their stability. Same with the downed abilities. Necros downed ability 2 is really easy to dodge, for instance

• Only let downed players bleed out when you don't forget about them. In this meta we have scourges with F4 rez and fbs with the rez signet. So just leaving someone downed unattended is not recommended.

• 1 month later...

@Highlie.7641 said:There has never been a meta change. The Most effective tactic has always been to abuse the downed / rally mechanics. which leads to a snowball. in the beginning it was with tanky comps, then with rally utilities. and now it's burst / damage. but there all trying to accomplish the same thing.

As such you should of never taken the Spvp in Gw2 seriously. and now that they have added a ridiculous amount of power creep, even winning fight's means absolutely nothing. (as it's more then likely you or them are being carried by bad design)

so you want a trick? Stop caring, it means nothing if you win, and nothing if you lose.

Bringing forth some grand scheme argument without justifying it is a meaningless argument.