Whats Preventing You From Quitting The Game

Rendalmj.3152

Because it is fun.The story does not get in the way of the monster bashing.Tons of stuff to do. Any level, any play style. They have PvP for those that want it, but keep it out of the way for those that do not. PvM, PvE, WvW, casual, hard core - there is plenty for everyone. What is not to like?No subscription fee is nice, too. :)

Guild Wars 2 doesn't require an insane amount of commitment just to persist. Not only does it have no subscription fee, its horizontal progression means that I don't need to work myself to the bone catching back up to where I was when I last left off.

I "quit" Guild Wars 2 for long stretches at a time often, but I always come back when there's something to come back to because I don't have to work to feel welcomed back. I never have to grind new levels, or grind new gear, or re-unlock a major feature that I've unlocked multiple times before in previous expansions, or suffer through time-gated questlines just to be on the same level as everyone else again (well, except that one time ;P). It's always waiting for me with open arms.

Mild OCD, probably. When I look at what I do in the game I can't find much point other than just keeping a routine.

7571 hours 5 minutes over the past 1839 days (that used to be a lot higher hours per day). 28,173 AP. 295 Mastery (because fortunately you only need one successful Raid to unlock that mastery chain).

I never missed a day or a Daily until I maxed out AP from Dailies + Monthlies. I even got the Daily on the day the servers were reset and all of that day's progress was lost. I may have missed ONE day since I maxed but I don't bother with Dailies any longer. No further motivation there. Maxed out MF from luck. No further motivation there.

Stopped playing fractals because it's just grinding for rewards with no real point. Was working on grinding out the 25,000 fractal relics needed for Mist Attunement 1 when I thought "Why am I doing this time-consuming work when I work for real 8-10 hours per day anyway?" I quit working on that when I would have "only" needed about a month and a half of more Fractal Dailies to get the rest of the relics. I haven't done some of the challenge motes but unless you've done the challenge motes successfully several times nobody wants you on a PUG team. Ping Proof. No further motivation there.

My guild (DTOP) basically fell apart after the death of a key leader. It still exists but it's rarely active any longer. Those were the only people that I really did team-based content with on a regular basis. So now I pretty much play alone, like I did before I ran into them in the first place.

My two kids stopped playing because the fun ran out. My wife never really played much to start with but she doesn't play any longer either. With this and the guild, I might as well go back to solo FPS games. (Death Stranding looks so good it'll have to be a disappointment.)

I tried to get into Raids several months after they came out, but the snobbery of the Raid player base turned me off of those. Unless you run with a group of people who do the content there's not much opportunity to get started. No chance for a PUG to learn. Ping Proof. No further motivation there.

WvW and PvP is not something I enjoy. The story of the game interests me a lot more than fighting other players. I readily admit that I'd never be more than average at that and it's not fun to be stomped all the time. This is a game. If it's not fun it should not be played.

I have the Hellfire Legguards Skin I was looking forward to. I need over 1900 more AP for the Hellfire Chestpiece Skin. That's a lot of grinding with no more Dailies AP unless I play WvW and PvP which I don't enjoy so that would be another type of grind. No further motivation there.

I still have a lot of non-Raid/WvW/PvP AP left that I could complete, but most of it is small amounts for expensive or RNG-gated collections or completing a few achievements here and there for which there's not a lot of point except collecting the AP. Do I really want to try Migraine just for that, and if I did would four others? There are so many AP holes that I think I should "work" on, but that's what it would be: work, not play. And even if I did, it would probably only give me a two or three hundred points unless I also took on the job of working the salt mines of PvP and WvW. It's more filling out a checklist than doing something for the fun of it.

I have four legendaries (Chuka and Champawat, Sunrise, Meterlogicus, and The Bifrost). I could make more, but why. I wouldn't mind having Nevermore but it's not worth the effort. I still have 2 gifts of exploration in case the bug bites for another gen 1 weapon, but eh.

I'm moderately rich in the game (GW2Efficiency says 93 percentile account value, 8k Wallet Liquid Gold value, 12.7k Mat Storage LG value, nearly 13.5k spirit shards, nearly 3k laurels) so I feel no point in farming for coin. I could go buy the "I'm Rich, You Know" title, but why. I could buy the Carnival weapons, but why.

So, it must be the OCD.

Probably because, in the long run, Arenanet has given me almost everything I wanted. I wanted to create a charr, and got that at launch. From there, I wanted more charr face and hair options, more charr lore, and expansions. I've gotten all of this, in abundance. As long as Arenanet keeps the story going--whether via expansions or living story I don't care--and periodically adds something for my charr characters, I'm a happy player.Between story releases, I play PvP and WvW, or do map completion on alt characters.

My one gripe with the game is that all human bodies and most human faces look like plastic barbie and ken dolls--the lack of body diversity or realism is dull.

This...

@starlinvf.1358 said:...The...casual aspect the(y) keep doubling down on is effectively making a game version of Netflix...it...falls into...familiar, comforting routines. Its entertainment junk food...

and this...

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:...I am disabled...I can't work...etc. I play this game because idle hands drive me insane, and earning gold in-game at least gives me a sense of accomplishment.

My reasons for continuing to play are very much a combination of these two responses. At age 70, I find that my physical abilities have been significantly winding down for some years now. These days I live alone, rarely go out anymore, and only occasionally visit with family and friends. Let me add that I thoroughly enjoy living this way. Like Marlon Brando in The Godfather, I lived an intense life for many, many years but the time came for me to retire, to sit in the garden and putter around there quietly by myself. I have no responsibilities to anyone else at this point. My time is entirely my own, to do with as I please.

Some of that time is taken up with books, usually sci fi and fantasy. Some is given over to movies and tv, via Netflix and other streaming services. A large chunk of my time is spent in Tyria. It's a rich and beautiful world, so complex that almost two years in I'm still finding new things to explore and new projects to work on. It's also not passive entertainment like books and movies. There are a myriad of things for me to do and when I accomplish my self-determined goals, I do get a feeling of accomplishment.

A key factor in my enjoyment though is how friendly the game is to casual players. Back in my teens and twenties, I was an adrenaline junkie irl. The more high risk/high intensity a situation was, the more I came alive and thrived. That was then. In this now, adrenaline and intensity just exhaust me fairly quickly. GW2's open world pve allows me to move at my own pace, doing only the things I enjoy doing. I have familiar, comforting routines in the game and I love that. When I want to try something more challenging a variety of options are available but when I wear out, I can readily jump back to casual play. What's preventing me from quitting the game? The fact that I enjoy this world so much.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"Dave.6819" said:The only thing that's preventing me from FULLY quitting is ESO "subscription" model. To fully enjoy ESO u basically gotta subscribe.. cuz playin without crafting bag and with all those limitations is too painful. Also.. there's lack of options in mmorpg genre. Whenever somethin decent comes out im out xD Well even now i'm like 50% out but still.. checking on updates n stuff is already 30% of my gameplay. Dang i wish Aion would've never died.. that game had everything MMO needed. >< Greedy company was the culprit in Aions case. Probably many of us are just playing cuz there's no real options left out there. But whenever somethin decent comes i'm sure we'll hop outta here. Oh and sadly BDO is IP blocked for some of european countries... pity i never tried that one :/ probably would've liked it.

ESO was one of the games I looked at but yeah, that and I found other issues as well. BDO does not appeal but you could probably use a VPN. From what I can tell of their website aion is still alive, it is not in the running for me as it does not have a mac client (I would want to be able to play whatever game on multiple machines so bootcamping one is not viable).

I'd still be playing Aion but there's a reason why i left it. Yea officially its still running.. but u know... it's like 90% of population is gone. Heavily p2w since like 2012. Lots of people left back in the day when gunner was released (no idea when was that.. i assume like 2012 or so). That's when all the crap started happening and slowly it turned into a wasteland. Just a perfect example how community can say "NO MORE" to devs and "if u don't listen to us we won't support u anymore". (and that's when we migrated to GW2. right around 2012-2013) I wonder if the same thing will happen (or already happened) to gw2. Especially pvp/wvw wise. It's slowly reminding me of Aion situation. Where u login and instead of hundreds of people pvping u see 2 guys afk'ing. xD Community is trying to speak loud about pvp/wvw but no1 is listenin. It'll have same consequences as aion had..

BDO - nah.. i doubt VPN is possible. It's just a matter of time until u get blocked :/. Idk why they glued eastern european countries to russia. Not only it's a humiliation knowing our history but also we can't play their game even if we are in europe.

ESO.. yeah.. Idk what issues u've found but when u get to "endgame".. u slowly start to realise it's not only a b2p game but also p2p...

@"Dave.6819" said:The only thing that's preventing me from FULLY quitting is ESO "subscription" model. To fully enjoy ESO u basically gotta subscribe.. cuz playin without crafting bag and with all those limitations is too painful. Also.. there's lack of options in mmorpg genre. Whenever somethin decent comes out im out xD Well even now i'm like 50% out but still.. checking on updates n stuff is already 30% of my gameplay. Dang i wish Aion would've never died.. that game had everything MMO needed. >< Greedy company was the culprit in Aions case. Probably many of us are just playing cuz there's no real options left out there. But whenever somethin decent comes i'm sure we'll hop outta here. Oh and sadly BDO is IP blocked for some of european countries... pity i never tried that one :/ probably would've liked it.

Interesting! I haven't seen anyone who enjoyed Aion in ages. Personally I liked the way it handled factions and fort control in the Abyss, and I think that system could have worked really well in GW2 WvW. Unfortunately, Aion's combat system was so shallow I couldn't stick with it.

I do enjoy ESO, but it's something I only play for a few days or weeks at a time for the story content. The routing between Oceania and the NA servers is very poor, so I haven't seriously considered trying PvP there.

Ironically, I think being such a casual player there actually means I don't have any need to pay for convenience, as the "free trials" come around often enough for me to dump whatever materials I've collected before my bank fills up. The only time I got a subscription, it was for the better rate on crowns. Bought some stuff, and cancelled the sub afterwards.

I think MMOs have fallen out of favour with publishers because they're so expensive to make, even more expensive to make well, and a huge gamble on getting an audience big enough to sustain them. Probably isn't a coincidence that of the big MMOs right now, the two that managed to overcome rocky launches to succeed in the long run (ESO and FF14) were both based on series that already had colossal fanbases.

Interesting! I haven't seen anyone who enjoyed Aion in ages. Personally I liked the way it handled factions and fort control in the Abyss, and I think that system could have worked really well in GW2 WvW. Unfortunately, Aion's combat system was so shallow I couldn't stick with it.

Yea somehow it just clicked with me for some reason. The feeling of Open world pvp faction vs. faction was something i could play forever. It gave alot of depth to the game. Cuz u get bored of pve quite fast and then what's there to do? Either pvp or siege. It felt quite hardcore sometimes.. sometimes u couldnt even enter a specific location if u can't pvp well. U get killed if you're not good. I thought WvW is the same idea but sadly it's totally different from open world pvp or sieging.

I play because I want to. There is no other reason. If I didn't like it I would not play anymore end of story.To many other things in life to enjoy. Docs say I am not allowed to work so in between gaming (including demoing games at conventions for a company), travel, concerts (you should see my youtube channel, lol, 8 concerts in 7 weeks ...), and now stage managing a show I am having fun. Used to just sit in the house and realized that I was slowly dying that way so I took better control and started getting out there and living more. The only time I don't play is when I do not have my laptop with me like when I went to Europe and backpacked (read wheeled, carry on suitcase) for a month.

I am very casual due to limited playtime due to work, family and such. GW2 has no subscription, so what I bought will be there for me always (till servers close). I can jump in whenever I want and also it feels good to not feel "pressured" to play because I payed for a period and feel like I am wasting money. Actually the reason I quit wow and bought GW2 instead years ago). It doesn't cost me anything to stay. The game is still fun in short play sessions. And a while longer whenever a new living story/sage whatever gets released. All these years playing also got me invested enough to want to keep the game around, it's familiar with plenty of nice memories.

Gear also does not gets outdated, so a break doesn't have me play catch up. It's also a game easy to jump back into playwise. I also play ESO for these same reasons. My only 2 mmo's these days. Due to the huge time-investment MMO's usually take and my limited playtime, I don't see myself taking up a new one from scratch. GW2 and ESO together got my MMO itch covered. They are fairly different, both have their own special things for me.

@Dave.6819 said:

@Dave.6819 said:The only thing that's preventing me from FULLY quitting is ESO "subscription" model. To fully enjoy ESO u basically gotta subscribe.. cuz playin without crafting bag and with all those limitations is too painful. Also.. there's lack of options in mmorpg genre. Whenever somethin decent comes out im out xD Well even now i'm like 50% out but still.. checking on updates n stuff is already 30% of my gameplay. Dang i wish Aion would've never died.. that game had everything MMO needed. >< Greedy company was the culprit in Aions case. Probably many of us are just playing cuz there's no real options left out there. But whenever somethin decent comes i'm sure we'll hop outta here. Oh and sadly BDO is IP blocked for some of european countries... pity i never tried that one :/ probably would've liked it.

ESO was one of the games I looked at but yeah, that and I found other issues as well. BDO does not appeal but you could probably use a VPN. From what I can tell of their website aion is still alive, it is not in the running for me as it does not have a mac client (I would want to be able to play whatever game on multiple machines so bootcamping one is not viable).

I'd still be playing Aion but there's a reason why i left it. Yea officially its still running.. but u know... it's like 90% of population is gone. Heavily p2w since like 2012. Lots of people left back in the day when gunner was released (no idea when was that.. i assume like 2012 or so). That's when all the kitten started happening and slowly it turned into a wasteland. Just a perfect example how community can say "NO MORE" to devs and "if u don't listen to us we won't support u anymore". (and that's when we migrated to GW2. right around 2012-2013) I wonder if the same thing will happen (or already happened) to gw2. Especially pvp/wvw wise. It's slowly reminding me of Aion situation. Where u login and instead of hundreds of people pvping u see 2 guys afk'ing. xD Community is trying to speak loud about pvp/wvw but no1 is listenin. It'll have same consequences as aion had..

BDO - nah.. i doubt VPN is possible. It's just a matter of time until u get blocked :/. Idk why they glued eastern european countries to russia. Not only it's a humiliation knowing our history but also we can't play their game even if we are in europe.

ESO.. yeah.. Idk what issues u've found but when u get to "endgame".. u slowly start to realise it's not only a b2p game but also p2p...

It has been awhile but the general 'vibe' I got from ESO was not good (I forget the details). Not saving your password was annoying but I could always just write a macro so it was just that, annoying. The big one I ran into in my tests (after buying it and then eventually having to download it because their installer was hosed) was their keyboard movement was messed up, using strafing rather than real movement, despite having the code in there for mice and keyboard control for strafing .... and when I brought it up on forums people actually defended that design choice.

Probably why the latest Zelda game on the switch was only used once. I HATE HATE HATE strafing as a form of 'movement'.