How is it that when i play a bad meme build i either destroy, even 1v2, or get destroyed

Anput.4620

Whatever you want to call it, there is a business case there, a good one apparently. Eight years ago if someone would have told me that an MMO was going to cater to this kind of player, I would have said it wouldn't last a year. Here we are.

I hope those guilds find a game that suits them. Nothing worse than having people complain about the game because it doesn't suit them and skew Anet's efforts to provide content to the main market this game should continue to serve. In the end this will benefit the people that stay, as it should. Appealing to the outliers isn't a strong business case. I would say, Anet has spread themselves too thin. If they are going to make this game a big player again, they better look back to WHY this game was successful in the past and who made it that way.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Obtena.7952 said:Whatever you want to call it, there is a business case there, a good one apparently. Eight years ago if someone would have told me that an MMO was going to cater to this kind of player, I would have said it wouldn't last a year. Here we are.

I hope those guilds find a game that suits them. Nothing worse than having people complain about the game because it doesn't suit them and skew Anet's efforts to provide content to the main market this game should continue to serve. In the end this will benefit the people that stay, as it should. Appealing to the outliers isn't a strong business case. I would say, Anet has spread themselves too thin. If they are going to make this game a big player again, they better look back to WHY this game was successful in the past and who made it that way.

This is basically a glorified singleplayer game at this point with their current focus, they really are ruining the quality of the game, whether it is PvE or PvP groupcontent.

MMO junkfood, worse than actual food yet it still sells more.

Whatever you want to call it, the general MMO PvP community agrees.

Ive already found a game that is based on WvW and does things way better though, still, i really want to play this game too.

@Anput.4620 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Whatever you want to call it, there is a business case there, a good one apparently. Eight years ago if someone would have told me that an MMO was going to cater to this kind of player, I would have said it wouldn't last a year. Here we are.

This is basically a glorified singleplayer game at this point with their current focus, they really are ruining the quality of the game, whether it is PvE or PvP groupcontent.

Ive already found a game that is based on WvW and does things way better though, still, i really want to play this game too.

Maybe ... I mean, all the people that like it don't really care how you want to label it and continuing to make bad of it won't bring what you liked back to it. It's always been a glorified single player game. People were soloing dungeons as soon as the mechanics were learned. People can do raids with much lower than 10 people. I mean ... you pretend some switch was thrown and all the sudden Anet has done something to the game that's bad. That's just not true; the game has ALWAYS worked this way. it's ALWAYS appealed to the people you think are dragging it down with their scrub play. That was always the plan. If anything, the difficulty has increased over the history of the game, not been dumbed down.

You just picked the wrong game, then you tried to impose your 'correct' version of it on everyone with your negativity-laden posts. Then you are surprised people were against you? Of course you weren't going to get anywhere with that.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Maybe ... I mean, all the people that like it don't really care how you want to label it and continuing to make bad of it won't bring what you liked back to it. It's always been a glorified single player game. People were soloing dungeons as soon as the mechanics were learned. People can do raids with much lower than 10 people. I mean ... you pretend some switch was thrown and all the sudden Anet has done something to the game that's bad. That's just not true; the game has ALWAYS worked this way. it's ALWAYS appealed to the people you think are dragging it down with their scrub play. That was always the plan. If anything, the difficulty has increased over the history of the game, not been dumbed down.

You just picked the wrong game, then you tried to impose your 'correct' version of it on everyone with your negativity-laden posts. Then you are surprised people were against you? Of course you weren't going to get anywhere with that.

So why are you still here in the scrubgame? You don't sound like a scrub to me.

@Anput.4620 said:

Why I play this game has nothing to do with how you've poorly judged the game and it's direction.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:If you follow the logic of his posts, he doesn’t even play WvW. Per him, there are only 5 of us that do..

I mean you and obtena makes 2, but poeple totally aren't massively leaving.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Why I play this game has nothing to do with how you've poorly judged the game and it's direction.

I have judged the game from a game design perspective, to make a high quality and skill intensive, and mechanically rich game, you judge it to how accessible it is to little timmy.

I judge from quality, if you do too you will see that many popular games, fe Hearthstone are just objectively worse than say MTG.

@Anput.4620 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:If you follow the logic of his posts, he doesn’t even play WvW. Per him, there are only 5 of us that do..

I have judged the game from a game design, to make a high quality and skill intensive, and mechanically rich game perspective, you judge it to how accessible it is to little timmy.

And my judgement is more relevant than anything you have considered because the game intends to serve that market. That's why when you complain the game isn't targeting high caliber players, that complaint is a fail. This isn't new either like you want us to believe. It's always been that way. Even though you have judged to the favour of high performance, it's a poor judgement.

I mean, the game is quality. It just doesn't target high performance. Those two things aren't even related. You have wrongly made that association ... or more accurately, for YOU quality is about high performance. That's not the case for everyone.

@Obtena.7952 said:

I have judged the game from a game design, to make a high quality and skill intensive, and mechanically rich game perspective, you judge it to how accessible it is to little timmy.

And my judgement is more relevant than anything you have considered because the game intends to serve that market. That's why when you complain the game isn't targeting high caliber players, that complaint is a fail. This isn't new either like you want us to believe. It's always been that way. Even though you have judged to the favour of high performance, it's a poor judgement.

I mean, the game is quality. It just doesn't target high performance. Those two things aren't even related. You have wrongly made that association ... or more accurately, for YOU quality is about high performance. That's not the case for everyone.

These kinds of games make worse games from a gameplay and design perspective, just how mcdonalds makes worse food from a quality and health perspective, and serves the masses.

A game like this will always offer less, top end games always offer way more to top end players than low end games do to low end, they are way more rich and deep.

@Anput.4620 said:

These kinds of games make worse games from a gameplay and design perspective, just how mcdonalds makes worse food from a quality and health perspective, and serves the masses.

and? that doesn't change anything I've said. This is a business. There was an underserved market. Anet made a smart move to serve it.

You should just recognize you've made a bad choice. No crusade you have will change how GW2 plays to accomodate you at the expense of the majority of people that like it. The market determines what games stick around and go away, not some self-righteous ideal you have about what gameplay is trash to be eradicated.

@Obtena.7952 said:

and? that doesn't change anything I've said. This is a business. There was an underserved market. Anet made a smart move to serve it.

You should just recognize you've made a bad choice. No crusade you have will change how GW2 plays to accomodate you at the expense of the majority of people that like it. The market determines what games stick around and go away, not some self-righteous ideal you have about what gameplay is trash to be eradicated.

What youve said also doesn't change anything i have said, it is not good for a competitive PvP game to have certain features, period. What makes ass-saving features good? New RVR game im playing has 30 sec cast for tp so you can't combat tp among many other good mechanics that allow for a competitive quality PvP experience, thats how it should be done, and the player quality is way higher in this game.

@Anput.4620 said:

What youve said also doesn't change anything i have said, it is not good for a competitive PvP game to have certain features, period. What makes kitten-saving features good? New RVR game im playing has 30 sec cast for tp so you can't combat tp among many other good mechanics that allow for a competitive quality PvP experience, thats how it should be done, and the player quality is way higher in this game.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that GW2 has them. How you think it should be done is not relevant because you continue to fail to recognize who this game is made to service. The game appeals to the market it serves because it DOES have features like that, whether you think it's good for competitive PVP or not.

Again, this isn't about what you think is good or not. As long as you keep flying that banner, you won't understand why businesses do these things. It's not even limited to MMO's.

@Obtena.7952 said:

What youve said also doesn't change anything i have said, it is not good for a competitive PvP game to have certain features, period. What makes kitten-saving features good? New RVR game im playing has 30 sec cast for tp so you can't combat tp among many other good mechanics that allow for a competitive quality PvP experience, thats how it should be done, and the player quality is way higher in this game.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that GW2 has them. How you think it should be done is not relevant because you continue to fail to recognize who this game is made to service. The game appeals to the market it serves because it DOES have features like that, whether you think it's good for competitive PVP or not.

Again, this isn't about what you think is good or not. As long as you keep flying that banner, you won't understand why businesses do these things. It's not even limited to MMO's.

Said market is lowest hanging fruit.

Come on, "whether i think", you know it is not not good for competitive PvP, otherwise those games would have these kinds of features.

There is a reason that the more complicated, less forgiving and competitive games are the better games that have esports, i just don't get why poeple want to be handheld and have these carebear mechanics except to make up for their lack of skill, which is just bad.

As someone who roams a lot, lately it's either a really good roamer running a meme build or 2-4 really new people running crap builds.

I've been testing a new build and it goes either way.

I had a 4 man guild group of unranked people chasing and beating on me and I just ran away sustaining anything they did to me.

Also the amount of unranked condi thief's that poison and run are becoming more numerous. Maybe hoping they catch noobs without condi clear?

@Anput.4620 said:

Said market is lowest hanging fruit.

That's called a smart business move. Why WOULDN'T you target that group if you run a business. OFC you would. In this situation, it's the whole business case for the game existing.Come on, "whether i think", you
know
it is not not good for competitive PvP, otherwise those games would have these kinds of features.

I don't know what you mean here ... I'm not arguing certain features are good for competitive PVP or not because it's not relevant to the discussion. If certain features are included in the game, it's probably because Anet feels they compliment what their targetted market wants from the game.

There is a reason that the more complicated, less forgiving and competitive games are the better games that have esports, i just don't get why poeple want to be handheld and have these carebear mechanics except to make up for their lack of skill, which is just bad.

No argument about that ... if you don't understand it, that's fine. You just need to understand that it's not necessary for Anet to build the game in a certain way for it to work and be successful.

You have this constant theme that you want to ignore the fact that this is a business. That should be your starting point. I know you have told me many times you are completely ignoring that. You simply can't remove it from how you think about these things and sound like you have any idea what you are talking about.

@Anput.4620 said:

it is not good for a competitive PvP game to have certain features, period. What makes kitten-saving features good? New RVR game im playing has 30 sec cast for tp so you can't combat tp among many other good mechanics that allow for a competitive quality PvP experience, thats how it should be done, and the player quality is way higher in this game.

Gotta say I'm resigned to give Anet the boot too, and I'm curious what game you're talking about.

@LetoII.3782 said:

it is not good for a competitive PvP game to have certain features, period. What makes kitten-saving features good? New RVR game im playing has 30 sec cast for tp so you can't combat tp among many other good mechanics that allow for a competitive quality PvP experience, thats how it should be done, and the player quality is way higher in this game.

Gotta say I'm resigned to give Anet the boot too, and I'm curious what game you're talking about.

Gloria Victis, very fun game.

@Anput.4620 said:

Gloria Victis, very fun game.

Completely missed it somehow, thanks

I can relate, if your meme build has a lot of burst, you will delete anyone that doesn't expect it; regardless if you don't have any sustain or escape. However players who do have sustain or traits to save them will wreck you, or if they just simply dodge. Had a similar experience roaming on sc/f weaver