Help with character customization/fashion wars

Dragon.4782

Hello guys!

With the icebrood saga around the corner, I feel inspired to make a female, Ebon vanguard based character. I will leave a picture or two below for the armor they wear, but I am still struggling to decide if I want to make them wear heavy armor or medium armor because it looks like their armor is comprised of both metal and leather. If you guys know which armor sets I could use to replicate the look for either heavy armor or medium armor please let me know, I will greatly appreciate it.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/7/7d/Ebon_Vanguard_soldier_m_2.jpg

https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/7/7e/Ebon_Vanguard_soldier_f_2.jpg

GW1 armour was different - each profession had their own skins and slightly different stats, including armour ratings. So a lot of it won't match up exactly with GW2 armour. But a lot of GW2 armour does use a mix of materials, for example the medium luminous armour set has a large metal plate across the chest.

But for this one I'd definitely use heavy armour. I'd use the Ascalon Protector set from the Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon as a starting point (or maybe the Heritage chest if you have it) and look for some spikier shoulders and gloves to go with it, then look for dye channels you can dye to look like leather. (Remember you can sort dyes by material to see all the leather options if you don't want to stick with brown.)

It's an interesting idea. Don't forget to share some pictures of the end result!

If I were doing this, I'd use heavy armour and go mainly for Reinforced Scale armour. It has a higher metal to cloth ratio, but the silhouette is similar, as are the overlapping plates. For dyes I'd use Charcoal for the scales, Terracotta for the leather, and maybe a lighter metallic dye for the chainmail parts.

I think the Protector's helmet is the closest - it has wings rather than spikes, but if you're using Ebon Vanguard weapons, that'll match nicely. If you really want symmetrical spiked shoulder pads, your only real option is Armageddon, which look way too big for my liking. Barbaric is an alternative asymmetrical option.

I don't think you'll manage anything similar with medium armour since the silhouettes are so different.

@Danikat.8537 said:look for dye channels you can dye to look like leather. (Remember you can sort dyes by material to see all the leather options if you don't want to stick with brown.)

Interesting, I didn't realise the natural leather dyes would make other materials look like leather. I'd always just used them to dye things that already are leather, with the expectation that it would make them look 'natural'.

If you want to make an EV scout, go with medium. If you feel like making a soldier, go with heavy. Both offer options that you can use to make it look good. My Ranger, for instance, is currently wearing a battle-ready Ascalonian mix, the helmet and chest piece both look very well suited for a guard representation. For more metal, go with a heavy sets (there are many that also sport leather/cloth parts).

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:look for dye channels you can dye to look like leather. (Remember you can sort dyes by material to see all the leather options if you don't want to stick with brown.)

Interesting, I didn't realise the natural leather dyes would make other materials look like leather. I'd always just used them to dye things that already are leather, with the expectation that it would make them look 'natural'.

The material affects it too, so it's not as simple as applying a natural leather dye will make anything look like leather. But they give a more matte finish than the metallic or vibrant dyes so if you pick the right dye channel (something which isn't too shiny or textured in a way leather never would be, like chainmail) it can make it look like leather.