Returning player - Masteries questions.

Hi guys so yesterday I returned to the game and bought HoT and PoF.

I contacted an old friend and got a tp to that basin place in HoT as apparently it is a good farm.

It did not go well, got recked lol

So then I learn about masteries.

So to the questions.

I have unlocked the HoT and PoT mastery tree's on my main now how would I go about levelling these up and stuff?Could I just make a new character and do world exploration stuff or do I need to use the lvl 80 boost on the new character then do the world exploration stuff?

Just looking for a good way to level and unlock masteries.

Also how do I go about unlocking specializations? I have a lvl 80 necro and wanted to try a minon build.

Maybe browse the forum abit first page in players helping players

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/86163/hot-and-pof-masteries-guide#latestEditYou have to be 80 to level masteries so no a new character dont work without boosting.How you unlock specilizations you unlock all other spec line first you get enough hero points at 80 to do that.To unlock elite spec you earn hero points just like you did in core game to unlock core lines before they changed it ( the expansion hero points are worth x10)

A good way to level run around explore, events, world bosses (in pof , hot wb are replaced by meta events) in respective region, hot pof and core.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers

The masteries are unique to the region.

You have the earn experience, like levelling fpr thw masteries.For hot masteries, you have to play in HoT maps, and LW3 mPs.Pof masteries, pof maps, and LW4core masteries, core maps.

You also have to earn/find mastery points. So when you have enough experience, you need to have enough mastery points to unlock the mastery. These a at region based also.

All masteries are account bound, so you can use any character you want to level them.

The elite specs, you unlock them, through hero point. Pof and Hot hero points, give 10 points each. For HoT, keep an eye for hero point trains, as they make it so much easier.There are plenty of hero points in the game to unlock both specs and still have spare.You can also unlock hero points via WvW, where you can spend a currency to unlock a hero point in a paticular region and it will unlock one at random.Hero points are character bound.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Ricky Da Man.5064 said:Thanks for the helpful comments!

Think I will try do this in order and get all the core masteries first then do HoT and then PoF.

You have to unlock them by doing first mission in either pof or hot, I would suggest pof since that unlock the raptor

Yes I already did the first mission for PoF and the first 2 for HoT.

First, the only core Tyrian Mastery really worth getting for everyone is Pact Mastery, which will give you auto-looting. Get Fractal Mastery if you enjoy doing Fractals, otherwise pass. Legendary Mastery is ONLY involved in crafting your own precursor weapons, and can wait until you really want a Legendary.

I strongly recommend working on PoF and its masteries before anything else. Mounts will help EVERYWHERE and PoF is not as unforgiving as HoT. At least get the raptor and springer masteries to 3 if possible. They make so much of the rest of the game much easier to navigate. Also, just those 2 masteries will let you get most mastery points from living world season 4 with ease.

Living World Season 4 masteries are all universally useful. Only the first one is required for the LWS4 story, but they are all worth getting to make your mounts better.

When you get around to HoT masteries, the important ones are Gliding (ALL of it), Itzel (first one), Nuhoch (first 2), Exalted (First one). Those will let you complete the story and navigate the maps easily. Higher masteries are tied to HoT maps and not useful outside of HoT and Living World season 3.

Ancient Magic masteries are entirely focused on LWS3 map mechanics. You NEED them to complete first few chapters and do map completion. They are occasionally useful in LWS4 maps as well. Spectral Aid mastery is the single most useful mastery, as it adds a downed skill that is very strong. Also, each LWS3 chapter adds more mastery points than are needed to unlock the masteries. So it's a good way to finish up a few core HoT masteries you may have had trouble getting points for.

One thing to be aware of: masteries are not a direct increase in your characters strength and most of them are not used in combat. If you're finding combat in HoT difficult it's not because you don't have masteries trained up, it's because HoT (and PoF) is designed to be harder than the base game and training the masteries won't change that.

However it is a good goal to work towards whilst familiarising yourself with how the base game works now and how the expansions work and decide what build you want for your character, which will make a big difference.

@Danikat.8537 said:One thing to be aware of: masteries are not a direct increase in your characters strength and most of them are not used in combat. If you're finding combat in HoT difficult it's not because you don't have masteries trained up, it's because HoT (and PoF) is designed to be harder than the base game and training the masteries won't change that.

However it is a good goal to work towards whilst familiarising yourself with how the base game works now and how the expansions work and decide what build you want for your character, which will make a big difference.

Well my main is a guardian with full zerker ascended armor, legendary greatsword and ascended staff, mainly built for dps with some survival traits thrown in.

@Ricky Da Man.5064 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:One thing to be aware of: masteries are not a direct increase in your characters strength and most of them are not used in combat. If you're finding combat in HoT difficult it's not because you don't have masteries trained up, it's because HoT (and PoF) is designed to be harder than the base game and training the masteries won't change that.

Well my main is a guardian with full zerker ascended armor, legendary greatsword and ascended staff, mainly built for dps with some survival traits thrown in.

All I say beware of the pocket raptors mate =)

@Linken.6345 said:

All I say beware of the pocket raptors mate =)

Just round em up and wipe em out.

@CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617 has some great suggestions and has basically covered all the things I would recommend. The only thing I would add is that if you do decide that you need different stats for slightly higher survivability, in HoT toughness is like catnip to enemy NPCs. In PoF NPCs have a higher line of sight aggro and are more likely to continue chasing you further without breaking off.