Gem prices are at an all time high.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be a sign people are using gold to gems more to buy old seasons and the the current new horizons packages.

I think that’s how it works.

The game is healthy anyway, but it also shows people are wealthier in game and would rather use that than give up actual money which is being squeezed more and more.

I think that’s how it works..!!

They just recently put bank slots on sale, gathering tools, Living Seasons Complete packs, new mounts, Vouchers, etc etc.Each one of these will drive up the gem price and before the gem price can drift back down another item goes on sale. Gem prices will spike during a time of sales and new items as people convert gold to gems to buy items while they are cheap or new . This is expected. I’m expecting the prices to slowly drift back down after this month, assuming ANet doesn’t release anything else desirable.

@Randulf.7614 said:It should be a sign people are using gold to gems more to buy old seasons and the the current new horizons packages.

I think that’s how it works.

The game is healthy anyway, but it also shows people are wealthier in game and would rather use that than give up actual money which is being squeezed more and more.

I think that’s how it works..!!

I think that's right. When the cost of buying gems with gold increases it shows that more people are converting gold to gems, when it drops (and the price of buying gold with gems increases) it shows that more people are converting gems into gold. (Basically whichever option is most popular will increase in price.)

Gems which are purchased with real money and then used to buy items from the gem store have no effect on the exchange rate, so it's difficult to gauge how many people are using that option, especially when there's lots of popular items available/discounted. The increase in the exchange rate might show that more people are using gold to buy gem store items rather than real money, or it might show that more stuff is being bought from the gem store overall. Anet will be able to tell because they will have data on how many gems were purchased with real money, but the nearest we can get is to wait for the next NCSoft quarterly report then try to guess how much of the profit they get from GW2 came from gem sales vs. sales of the game itself.

Similarly it's difficult to gauge the health of the game from the exchange rate because we don't know how many transactions are needed to change it. In theory if no one ever converted gems into gold then just 1 person buying gems with gold could cause the exchange rate to shift. (And I think if no one was converting either way it would stay the same, rather than dropping to what it used to be.)

So it shows that the current gem store items/discounts are popular with people who buy gems with gold, but we can't tell anything more than that.

Gems prices goes high when utility stuff are on promotion.

Gems Store its a gold sink and will keep the excess gold on check, excess gold people will convert to buy shinies.

The gold convertion highs up, the gold circulating on game goes down.

With gold conversion high, the ppl with easy real money will find attractive buy gems to buy expensive stuff acquired by gold only like rare infusions. Anet earns -they money, the people that farm rare stuff to sell earns their gold.

So to the economy stays health the number of options of rare items acquired in pve-only should be increased too in proportion of gem store shiny stuff, then the pve-crowd will had their sense of something to accomplish, they will be more incentived to "farm", and giving to the game a sense of being alive and populated.

Prices are high because of the anniversary sales. They have been on an upward trend since the beginning of the game, which is to be expected, but were relatively stable for most of the year at around 33G per 100 gems. It was only the recent month of sales that pushed the cost up with the largest spike towards the end of August when they actually released worthwhile things..

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I can't help but notice that Gem prices are at its highest since the release of the game...Is this a sign that the game is still healthy or am I reading it wrong?It could mean few think it's worth spending money for in game gold.It's not an obvious sign of health no. There are too many factors to point to it as a concrete sign of anything.

Considering how much I don't trust Anet, I'm super sceptical with gem prices when it comes to Gold-Gem transaction.It only ever goes up or down 2-5g, it never falls down drastically to indicate people not buying gems as much.So what I think, and there is NO WAY any of you can convince me otherwise:

• I feel it is Anet who slowly keeps upping the price over the years, but lets us believe its people. So that people would just opt out for Money-Gem because gold prices are outrageous, that way they get more $$$. It is "suspicious" how it was around 145g more/less during whole Anniv-sale but the day they put keys on sale, it jumps by 30-40g, to 180 more or less for 400gems. And basically now it's sitting on around 170-185g and is not going down, when there is no way people are buying gems that much to keep the price up. Basically I feel they put it up by 40g so that people would just go for IRL money instead. They just set it to fluctuate between 170-185g per 400gems. But it's pretty much gonna stay there forever, until they up it to 200g, and so on...

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:Considering how much I don't trust Anet, I'm super sceptical with gem prices when it comes to Gold-Gem transaction.It only ever goes up or down 2-5g, it never falls down drastically to indicate people not buying gems as much.So what I think, and there is NO WAY any of you can convince me otherwise:

• I feel it is Anet who slowly keeps upping the price over the years, but lets us believe its people. So that people would just opt out for Money-Gem because gold prices are outrageous, that way they get more $$$. It is "suspicious" how it was around 145g more/less during whole Anniv-sale but the day they put keys on sale, it jumps by 30-40g, to 180 more or less for 400gems. And basically now it's sitting on around 170-185g and is not going down, when there is no way people are buying gems that much to keep the price up. Basically I feel they put it up by 40g so that people would just go for IRL money instead. They just set it to fluctuate between 170-185g per 400gems. But it's pretty much gonna stay there forever, until they up it to 200g, and so on...

One dude in my guild converted 4k gold to get starborn outfit and he would have spent a few thousand more if he had to. A lot of people want that outfit.If there's anything shiny, new or with a fat discount expect the gem prices to go up.You should exchange your gold for gems while there are no sales, like it was 2 months ago. Had you done that you would have paid 120g for 400 gems.And yeah, the anniversary sale is still going strong with shared inv and bank slots on sale. It's impossible for the gem price to fall significantly rn.

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:Considering how much I don't trust Anet, I'm super sceptical with gem prices when it comes to Gold-Gem transaction.It only ever goes up or down 2-5g, it never falls down drastically to indicate people not buying gems as much.So what I think, and there is NO WAY any of you can convince me otherwise:

You should look at what game out around that time. The prices continue to go up as gold becomes easier to get. I probably spent over 3K gems a week ago on those character slots and I've spent five times as much on other things such as mount skins. All of that by converting my gold to gems. If there isn't enough people spending money to convert gems to gold then the rate will continue to rise which it has been doing over the life of the game.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

You should look at what game out around that time. The prices continue to go up as gold becomes easier to get. I probably spent over 3K gems a week ago on those character slots and I've spent five times as much on other things such as mount skins. All of that by converting my gold to gems. If there isn't enough people spending money to convert gems to gold then the rate will continue to rise which it has been doing over the life of the game.

But that's during anniv-sale... and surely amount of gems bought is way less than it is during sale and yet it's not going down, so it should fall down, but it doesn't go up or down more than 5g or so. That's why I think Anet locks it at X amount for a while and then slowly moves it up each sale.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:Considering how much I don't trust Anet, I'm super sceptical with gem prices when it comes to Gold-Gem transaction.It only ever goes up or down 2-5g, it never falls down drastically to indicate people not buying gems as much.So what I think, and there is NO WAY any of you can convince me otherwise:

But that's during anniv-sale... and surely amount of gems bought is way less than it is during sale and yet it's not going down, so it should fall down, but it doesn't go up or down more than 5g or so. That's why I think Anet locks it at X amount for a while and then slowly moves it up each sale.

What other conspiracy theories are you into?

@DarkNighT.7319 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Still the aniversery saile going on bud so

even without the sale the gemprice is stupid high, which is made worse by the fact a lot of materials are worth nothing compared to the old days.

Immediately before the Anniversary Sale, Gem conversion was the lowest I'd seen it in over a year, at about 120g for 400gems.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:Considering how much I don't trust Anet, I'm super sceptical with gem prices when it comes to Gold-Gem transaction.It only ever goes up or down 2-5g, it never falls down drastically to indicate people not buying gems as much.So what I think, and there is NO WAY any of you can convince me otherwise:

Look at what they’ve been releasing recently which is why it hasn’t gone down. In order for it to go down, people have to buy gems and convert them to gold as well.

@DarkNighT.7319 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Still the aniversery saile going on bud so

even without the sale the gemprice is stupid high, which is made worse by the fact a lot of materials are worth nothing compared to the old days.

just seasonal fluctuation, and a display of amount of liquid gold floating around the economy

my view is gold -> gem needs to be high for anet to make money, and to surviveif players can get too much gemstore items without micro transaction, anet will go broke

Two concepts explain the trend. Others have already stated them, but what the heck, maybe someone who didn't read those posts will read this one.

• Supply and demand: ANet has been putting a lot of things either new or on sale in the store for over a month. This drives demand for gems. Demand for gold could balance the demand for gems, but the game is short of gold sinks right now. Supply of gems is independent of the market, but demand for gold is down. The natural result of these circumstances is a rising gold-to-gem rate.
  • Over the life of the game, the supply of gold is constantly increasing. The game makes more gold than its sinks eliminate. That means that supply of gold is up in a market climate where the demand for gold by gem customers is down, but the overall demand for gems is up. Again, the gold-to-gems exchange rate goes up.

Think about the last time a significant drop in the gold-for-gems rate (30-40 gold per 400 gems) happened. This was near the launch of PoF. The supply of gems likely went up because of the purchase of Ultimate packages with their 4000 gems. Demand for gold went up due to the 250 gold needed for the griffon.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I can't help but notice that Gem prices are at its highest since the release of the game...Is this a sign that the game is still healthy or am I reading it wrong?

You absolutely read it wrong.

Gems are high when lot of people buy gems with ingame gold but very few buy gems with real money and sell them.This is the exact opposite of what you want to read into that.